Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Teach posted:

David Squires is a UK cartoonist who writes a weekly cartoon for The Guardian. It's very well observed and unlikely to be intelligible to anyone without a good understanding of football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/david-squires-on

But can you tell why I posted this week's strip? Which panel pushed me over the edge?

:mcrappe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:hmmyes:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GOD DAMMIT.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is the singing steppe marmot supposed to be Ed Sheeran?

And likewise, I know and care nothing for soccer but found this cartoon hilarious.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

skeleton warrior posted:

Is the singing steppe marmot supposed to be Ed Sheeran?

Yes - he was sat next to David Beckham yesterday and sang a song in the England dressing room after the game vs the Czechs earlier in the tournament

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

JingleBells posted:

Yes - he was sat next to David Beckham yesterday and sang a song in the England dressing room after the game vs the Czechs earlier in the tournament

isnt beckam american now? how does he get to play for uk or is this not one of those play for your home country things

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

JingleBells posted:

Thanks!

It’s a testament to Squires’ skill that the caricature was so good and clear I was able to identify someone I have only vague cultural awareness of.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

snergle posted:

isnt beckam american now? how does he get to play for uk or is this not one of those play for your home country things

He was there as a spectator

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

snergle posted:

He's a British national, he played for LA Galaxy for a bit then moved to a French team and donated his entire salary from that to a children's charity.

He's also not playing for England, he just watched the game, he retired many years ago. He hasn't played on the English national team in over a decade.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ok it's gone from being bad to being good to being bad again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

the holy poopacy posted:

pyfcomic.txt

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

the holy poopacy posted:

Are you talking about the gamer comic?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FFT posted:

He was there as a spectator

oh.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
You realize it would have been quite awkward if he had been playing with Ed Sheeran sitting next to him, trying to keep up with Beckham like
https://i.imgur.com/BJnQLdn.mp4

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

That‘s a funny way to write „loving hilarious“, FIFA should get on this stat

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More importantly, Beckham is going to be 69 next year. I understand that for some people he's the only football man they know, but it's easy to deduce he's not on any team anymore, let alone England's national team.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

A few people mentioned it, but this comic is the very next one. I don't think there are any more comics that are explicitly about the chain, but for a while the mouseover text was all changed to "Long John Silvers, where dreams go to die." At least until the author was contacted by corporate and told to knock it off.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Paladinus posted:

More importantly, Beckham is going to be 69 next year.

What.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yeah it turns out he's only 5 years younger than his father, I was shocked as well when I checked

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

wtf

where are their eyes

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

wtf

where are their eyes

The eyes on the sperm are purely for artistic effect, so it's okay if they're not anatomically accurate

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't get it, if they let that other sperm win, won't they die?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sperm can't die, it's not alive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If given the choice, would you want to be born...? No thank you, personally.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Also, doesn't it take a fuckton of sperm to weaken the egg's wall? So really all the fastest sperm do is smash their faces into a wall and die?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhh

makes the whole concept of spermicide moot

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

frankenfreak posted:

You realize it would have been quite awkward if he had been playing with Ed Sheeran sitting next to him, trying to keep up with Beckham like
https://i.imgur.com/BJnQLdn.mp4

i assumed it was some post game interview or something

Paladinus posted:

More importantly, Beckham is going to be 69 next year. I understand that for some people he's the only football man they know, but it's easy to deduce he's not on any team anymore, let alone England's national team.

but the spice girls are only 20

https://i.imgur.com/e7CTKvC.mp4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I call this 6aslightin9.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Then how are they talking

Checkmate, atheists

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

If given the choice, would you want to be born...? No thank you, personally.

Sacrifices must be made

https://www.oglaf.com/preconceptions/ :nws:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Ziv Zulander posted:

A few people mentioned it, but this comic is the very next one. I don't think there are any more comics that are explicitly about the chain, but for a while the mouseover text was all changed to "Long John Silvers, where dreams go to die." At least until the author was contacted by corporate and told to knock it off.

Not only that, but at the time the entire page was redone with a Long John Silvers background and banner ads on all sides. Blue and yellow everywhere.
I wanted to dig it up but well...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

nonathlon posted:

Some of the punchlines of PFSC remain really funny to me, even if they're nonsensical out of context. Like "Paris: just another bullshit town" or "Oh no, pigeons".
I have used the Paris line on my parents when they went there, and otherwise subbed in the names of other great world cities as appropriate. I hope one day to have the nerve to poke someone in the chest to punctuate the phrase.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
i stole the good avatar, sorry to anyone else who used it, thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More like 1 bad beartato