Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm just waiting on Hammerting to have its fluids actually affect entities, because right now you can accidentally flood your base but your dorfs will just keep on keeping on. Too weird for me, so I'll wait. That said, it's definitely been improving a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
JWE should have replaced the advisors with the cartoon DNA guy from the first movie.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Takanago posted:

I bought The Fermi Paradox since it just went on sale in Early Access and I really liked the steam next fest demo. Unfortunately, I'm pretty disappointed in it. While the demo set up a pretty interesting scenario of struggling to keep the different alien species alive through different kinds of crises, (humans have to deal with overconsumption, the other aliens have to deal with depopulation) that dynamic feels like it's barely there in the full game. The balance is way off right now and it's pretty easy to avoid having to make tough choices if you know what you're doing. The game also doesn't really feel like it's giving you that many chances to make interesting decisions now, compared to the amount of time you spend doing nothing. The galaxy starts completely empty now, so there's a lot of time just spent watching cavemen learn how to make tools, etc. and in my three and a half hours of playing (I got to the ending) I never even had two species make contact with each other directly.

hard agree and i ended up refunding the game, the start is glacially slow, the ui is terrible, it somehow got worse from the demo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I know Learning Factory is understandably low on everyone's interests but it just updated with the best machine:

Literally a machine that does nothing but sit there and fill your inventory up to a certain amount with conveyor belts. You don't have to interact with it or anything. Just connect it to a source of material and let it go and your inventory fills up with belts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I need to stop hopping on EA games, Voxel Tycoon got a patch today and I was like "awesome it's been 2 months it needed something", it's 0 content and like 1-2 fixes to how stations are interacted with and that is it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I saw that too. It's all been good changes and I don't regret the purchase but development of that one is going to be glacially paced so I'm sorta forgetting about that game for a bit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alkydere posted:

I know Learning Factory is understandably low on everyone's interests but it just updated with the best machine:

Literally a machine that does nothing but sit there and fill your inventory up to a certain amount with conveyor belts. You don't have to interact with it or anything. Just connect it to a source of material and let it go and your inventory fills up with belts.

This sounds amazing, why is Learning Factory low on everyone's interests? Is there something you know about the game that I don't?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

HopperUK posted:

I watched some of this one and it seemed okay but I haven't bitten into 22 yet to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMCz9wV52j_08GydSnJ99pVXGBT1q-DZY

This is amazing, thank you by the way - I've had every OOTP since 14 and am just constantly dogshit at it. I'm better at Football Manager, and understand actual football way less than baseball.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

StrixNebulosa posted:

This sounds amazing, why is Learning Factory low on everyone's interests? Is there something you know about the game that I don't?

I'm waiting on them actually launching. I keep loving myself over by playing early access games... too early, so I'm bored by the time they're actually done.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm gonna be offline for a few days as I'm moving,but I have to recommend Production Line one more time. If you are looking for more of Factorio/Satisfactory/DSP or looking for a god game like Theme Hospital, I think it has an audience in this thread. It's less than :tenbux:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bought it because it was on sale, but I'm holding off on actually really getting into it until it's more done. Like half of the tech tree is straight up not in at this point. As in there are placeholder nodes for them but nothing there.

The devs do seem to be active though so there's regular updates. just don't feel like burning out before it's closer to done.

Oh another thing Learning Factory does that's awesome: It has "underground belts" like Factorio...only instead of just being magical tunnels you actually go down to a second layer and build there.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 3, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How's the political difficulty of Tropico 6?
I enjoyed 3 and 4 back in the day but my biggest issue was it was trivially easy to keep every faction and foreign power happy so long as your economy was ticking over, even on highest difficulty.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just unlocked the new carts/elevator system in Hammerting and this is great. Combining the elevator system and the new carts so the elevators now carry carts up and down and can then hook up to horizontal rail systems is a pretty cool system. I will say another great thing is the fact that I'm almost never stranding dwarves anymore because I dug them into a hole. It still happens but usually only when I'm dumb and tell them to dig a massive pit. The trading system is much more fleshed out now and it makes buying/selling so much simpler but is clearly still not fully implemented yet. I'm hoping there'll be a way to allow a certain amount of an item be available for trading and for it to happen automatically a la Anno. The UI seems like they may be going in that direction with it which would be great. I'm really really digging (:haw:) the improvements to this game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was reading the Steam page for Railgrade again since im wicked excited for it and one of the things im pumped for is it lets you design your own trains. I'm a big train enthusiast and wondering are there any games already out that let you do this with trains or should I just wait for Railgrade?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is there a preview or something showing more about train customization? Because the store bullet "Customise your trains using different engines and dozens of freight types, with hundreds of unique engine and cargo combinations." describes every train game since TTD where you generally select an engine and any combination of rolling stock to get the transport mix and HP/ton you're looking for.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No im just going off that. I probably got too excited over the depth of the train customization, I thought itd be like Automation (the car game) but for trains but youre probably right its more like ottd

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Autonauts seems alright so far - bot recharging is a bit annoying because right now my solution is to kinda have like 3 bots on recharge duty per area because I had two on recharge duty thinking it was a brilliant strategy, no way both would run out of charge at the same time. Ferrying goods a meaningful distance is similarly annoying since it can be hard to set up rechargers in a useful fashion.

The teaching is neat but I almost just wish I could program the logic manually cause it's a bit silly having to teach basically the same stuff over and over. (Disks seem to help if you need -identical- behavior, but then also present an organizational headache.)

I assume I'll eventually get more tech to help with these things; I don't really like that the early tech has just been like more flavors of ways to make food and a whole bunch of tools that they game doesn't explain of give descriptions for. Similarly, it fees odd what the game gives proper tutorials for, and what it leaves totally unexplained. (I had a milestone to make a bot team, had to google that.)

e: Like it feels silly I can't tell a bot to pick up berries until it can't, the deposit them until it can't. Instead I tell it to pick up two berries and deposit 2 berries, and it makes the logic look ugly and takes up extra memory. (I realize that second part might be -why-)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 4, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There is a program logic for until hands are full and for until hands are empty. Also mod out bot charging it's a poo poo mechanic

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Squiggle posted:

This is amazing, thank you by the way - I've had every OOTP since 14 and am just constantly dogshit at it. I'm better at Football Manager, and understand actual football way less than baseball.

You're welcome! I love baseball, to the bewilderment of everyone around me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Oxyclean posted:

Autonauts seems alright so far - bot recharging is a bit annoying because right now my solution is to kinda have like 3 bots on recharge duty per area because I had two on recharge duty thinking it was a brilliant strategy, no way both would run out of charge at the same time. Ferrying goods a meaningful distance is similarly annoying since it can be hard to set up rechargers in a useful fashion.

The teaching is neat but I almost just wish I could program the logic manually cause it's a bit silly having to teach basically the same stuff over and over. (Disks seem to help if you need -identical- behavior, but then also present an organizational headache.)

I assume I'll eventually get more tech to help with these things; I don't really like that the early tech has just been like more flavors of ways to make food and a whole bunch of tools that they game doesn't explain of give descriptions for. Similarly, it fees odd what the game gives proper tutorials for, and what it leaves totally unexplained. (I had a milestone to make a bot team, had to google that.)

e: Like it feels silly I can't tell a bot to pick up berries until it can't, the deposit them until it can't. Instead I tell it to pick up two berries and deposit 2 berries, and it makes the logic look ugly and takes up extra memory. (I realize that second part might be -why-)

You want the recharge mod, trust me. It does seem tedious to have to number the actions, but you'll appreciate it later, especially when you get to MKII bots.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

There is a program logic for until hands are full and for until hands are empty. Also mod out bot charging it's a poo poo mechanic

Ohhh, I didn't think hard enough

beautiful.

(Second storage is because I want to keep a stockpile of mushrooms to plant first before they get used for food.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In Autonauts, 1-2 per-area rechargers spread out to give 100% coverage, backed up by a roaming sign recharger team of 1 sign holding bot plus another 1-2 rechargers is so easy to keep great recharge uptime that you might as well mod recharging out if you aren't obsessed with maximizing every computer science tool given to you in the game.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
I treat autonaut recharging like I treat factorio production lines. Any time I see a dead bot, I make a new charging bot with area centered on the currently dead bot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Hammerting is on the Humble Choice this month

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
autonauts would be a ton more fun if you didn't have to manually walk up to bots to copy-paste-tweak them and had absolutely ANY quality of life for the player. Just let me select a program from a list and a god-hand to pick up bots / move them around / modify their inventory and upgrades.

That poo poo's OK for the first few hours but I shouldn't still be having to deal with individual bot tedium when I'm at MKII level, it's added automation without any abstraction whatsoever so things just get more and more complex and a longer and longer tedium to get anything done.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bhodi posted:

autonauts would be a ton more fun if you didn't have to manually walk up to bots to copy-paste-tweak them and had absolutely ANY quality of life for the player. Just let me select a program from a list and a god-hand to pick up bots / move them around / modify their inventory and upgrades.

That poo poo's OK for the first few hours but I shouldn't still be having to deal with individual bot tedium when I'm at MKII level, it's added automation without any abstraction whatsoever so things just get more and more complex and a longer and longer tedium to get anything done.
You're looking for the Bot Database, a mid -late game thing you should just mod in when you reach the point of frustration you have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I should re-try autonauts. I always flame out around the same spot because i don't have whatever that is unlocked yet apparently but I've expanded to the point that mass updates need to happen, and it's just overwhelming at a point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I extremely like all the programming ideas in Autonauts in abstract but actually interacting in the game is frustrating and tedious, which is even more frustrating because I like all the ideas in abstract.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

I extremely like all the programming ideas in Autonauts in abstract but actually interacting in the game is frustrating and tedious, which is even more frustrating because I like all the ideas in abstract.

Yeah I think this is my thing too. I should look into more mods to improve it enough to get past the 3rd or 4th tech tier

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

zedprime posted:

You're looking for the Bot Database, a mid -late game thing you should just mod in when you reach the point of frustration you have.

Since resources are infinite, just make 150 bots as soon as you can. That's what you want to do anyway, the more bots the better.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Has anyone played both Production Line and Big Pharma? Seems like they are by the same guy, and big pharma is older,do I'm trying to see if there is a reason to get big pharma.

I'm absolutely loving Production Line. I played it a ton on my laptop when I was up north. I just missed out on scenario 2s wincon and I'm about to give it another go.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Big Pharma is kind of fundamentally different. In Production Line you're always building cars. You have the same unit operations to do to make a car and your configurations just sort of adjust how fast those unit ops go/if they're combined at all or what their footprint is/how much it costs to install a fancy value add whatsit. Plus attendant raw material processing if you're a build it from scratch plant.

Big Pharma has a much smaller tech tree but a much different approach to product development. You research raw materials and a few fundamental unit operations. These unit operations act on the raw materials in an algebra/logic puzzle sort of way to take raw materials and process into a medicine. The raw materials are randomly generated so process design is unique even when rerunning scenarios (except a few challenge ones have specific materials just to reduce the amount of getting random screwed?). How much value any given unit ops adds is very dependent on the material generation.

Production Line gets very intense logistically very fast as you run out of affordable capacity for import and export and just internal plant bandwidth and need to make due. Big Pharma is much simpler logistically. There's a similar concept of limited inputs and outputs but what you do inside the 4 walls with conveyor belts is very dull. I like it to a tangram puzzle, you just want to pack your unit ops in a small space and plumb it up. It's kind of like early Production Line but doesn't get better like Production Line does when things clog up and demand better designs.

If you like Production Line, can pass on everything being intense logistic challenges, and like the sound of logic puzzle product design you should get Big Pharma.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
This thread gave me a few good gems and reminded me that State of Decay 2 exists again, though I was wondering

if anyone had any recommendation, even niche for something like an offline-foxhole type game?

I like production chains and resource management but I like risk so combat or wars are pretty cool. Like, the ideal thing that comes to mind, is having some squad or unit or what have you and then building production chains to create weapons and armor and vehicles and stuff to equip them with.

Does that sound like anything? I've scoured steam, but apart from the usual stuff nothing seems to click.

Unless I'm just describing Kenshi, which honestly just looks....so...rough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was about to say “Running with Rifles” but then I saw the comments on building stuff. it’s basically too down battlefield and has no real logistics or productions. Closest you can get is setting up defensive barricades/cover and stationary weapons.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If it doesn't have to be individual dudes but can be spaceships, star sector?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pharnakes posted:

If it doesn't have to be individual dudes but can be spaceships, star sector?
X3 and X4 at that rate too.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Argh, there were like two games that came out in the last two months that were all about managing a flight wing in WW2, and I can't for the life of me remember the name

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

skeleton warrior posted:

Argh, there were like two games that came out in the last two months that were all about managing a flight wing in WW2, and I can't for the life of me remember the name

Until the Last Plane might be one of them?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yes! That was absolutely it!

I think the other one was Bomber Crew, which seems to be more of an FTL than a logistics manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was about to say “Running with Rifles” but then I saw the comments on building stuff. it’s basically too down battlefield and has no real logistics or productions. Closest you can get is setting up defensive barricades/cover and stationary weapons.

You my friend want Foxhole.

Running with Rifles, but massively MP. Logistics are explicitly part of the game. You have to keep your bunkers supplied so people can spawn there, as well as supplied with ammo and weapons. You can even to drive a truck from a factory in the back all the way to the front :v:

There's a Goon group in too