Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Transferring from a regular hdd is slow enough that I only use it for games I probably won't play. If I need room on the internal drive it's much faster to use an external ssd, even for cold storage.

Yeah I have a 1TB SSD attached and I really feel like I've got plenty of room at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DoomTrainPhD posted:

When I switched from my XBONE to my OneX all of the save files just.. appeared? On all of my games. No migration, no fuss. It's pretty good.

Microsoft treated this console generation akin to updating your hardware. The Series' use the same Operating System or a compatible one.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It was a little weird firing up the next generation of console and seeing... Exactly what I have been seeing for the past 5 years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

It was a little weird firing up the next generation of console and seeing... Exactly what I have been seeing for the past 5 years.

You could have the PS5 and be on the flip side of things lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

To be fair shortly before launch they did a big patch to make the ui a little slicker.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
still a 1080p SDR UI :blastu:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

I guess it was just even more jarring because thanks to the cloud, it downloaded all my other settings and images so that it looked identical.

I suppose I a hoping for that wow factor of turning a new console on for the first time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The wow factor comes when you start playing games and switching between them like you’re tabbing through browser windows. It’s the good stuff

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

That's what did it for me. It was seeing how fast things were loading up and FPS Boost that put the smile on my face.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Playing Prey @60fps legit made me feel like I got my money’s worth

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

That was the exact first game I played to test FPS Boost and I legit felt the same.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I never played Prey before but I did play Dishonored 2 on my at the time new, updated PC and it ran like poo poo so I can only imagine how Prey ran on old consoles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never played Prey before but I did play Dishonored 2 on my at the time new, updated PC and it ran like poo poo so I can only imagine how Prey ran on old consoles

Prey and Dishonored 2 were the worst feeling console games I played on the PS4. The input lag on D2 was unbelievable, like I’ve no idea how or why you’d release games in that state. Prey load times were laughable

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the medium is the best game thar dev has ever made and it's still worse than downpour, so

I loved the Blair Witch game, scared the piss clean out of me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

I guess it was just even more jarring because thanks to the cloud, it downloaded all my other settings and images so that it looked identical.

I suppose I a hoping for that wow factor of turning a new console on for the first time.

I had this same feeling. I remember the switch from the 360s final dashboard set up to the initial One dashboard was like a huge jump (and thank God they cleaned up the dash for the One) and then hooking up my Series X and it was just.....the same dash. Not bad but nothing that wowed me.

It really is the small stuff that stood out, the faster booting, quick swapping between games, etc. Admittedly the speed boost is more noticeable for me because I was using a base One for years and it was definitely starting to show it's age so firing up Cyberpunk on the Series X was a revelation, load times were crazy fast and there wasn't the insane texture popping. I actually finished the game on the X because it was finally playable.

Hell I managed to run WWE2K19 pretty much all day yesterday and the load times were considerably faster than before and it didn't straight up crash while loading something after hours of playing.

I have had to play tetris with where stuff is saved, but with the expansion card and an external drive, I've managed to sort all the X games and enhanced games to the internal/expansion card for the fast load times and everything else sits on the external drive.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I wouldn’t of installed this dang Plague Tale game had i known beforehand that 10 minutes into the game the dog dies gruesomely, geez

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im sorry for your digital loss

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I wouldn’t of installed this dang Plague Tale game had i known beforehand that 10 minutes into the game the dog dies gruesomely, geez

You’re better off waiting a week for the Series enhancements

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah I am definitely going to give it another try, game seemed good.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You’re better off waiting a week for the Series enhancements

Probably better off having seen that scene before the enhancements, really.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered feels so drat good. It's purely arcade racing. Reminds me a lot of the old Initial D games, except it's even easier to whip the cars around. FAST game. Every single car is equipped with NOS. Feel free to drift a Porsche in the rain at 150 MPH. It's halfway to Wipeout. I'm mentally exhausted after a half hour.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Yeah, it's very good. It's become my go to game for whenever I have 10 minutes to spare and have a need for some speed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Tried Doom there with RTX. It was funny seeing the doomguy reflection except his gun was pointing the wrong way :thunk:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got Black Ops Cold War for my Series S since I'd been playing its multiplayer quite a bit on my PS4. Wow, I didn't even know there was cross-save with this game. It just brought all my data over from PS4 like magic. Also it loads faster and my Series S is silent whereas playing this on my PS4 sounded like a jet engine getting ready for takeoff lol

loudog999 posted:

I’m almost positive it’s on PS Now if you have that. I was able to played it on my 4 Pro. I haven’t tried since I got my 5.
Aw poo poo, I've owned a PS4 for years and never used PS Now. Oh well.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rageaholic posted:

Aw poo poo, I've owned a PS4 for years and never used PS Now. Oh well.
Of all the games to play over a streaming service that doesn't seem like a good one for it... Maybe it's for the best that you didn't do that.

I've not played it on PS Now myself, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BW/status/1410581888339779586

Funny thing about those large percentage off Xbox gift cards a couple years ago.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bet if all he did was spend the money on Xbox, for games, he would have never been caught. Instead this person decided to do crazy poo poo like buy a house in the 7 figure range.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I finally set up and replaced my One X with a Series X. I have it laying on it side where the One X used to be, so it looks like the One X suddenly gained 500 lbs.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

drat the reason he got noticed was because he stole so much it doubled gift card redemptions all of a sudden. That's pretty impressive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Greed always gets you. If he would have been slow and methodical about it I bet he’d still be doing it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Akuma posted:

Of all the games to play over a streaming service that doesn't seem like a good one for it... Maybe it's for the best that you didn't do that.

I've not played it on PS Now myself, though.

It’s worked well for me but I’m aware I’m in the minority.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
installed doom eternal to check out the ray tracing and the reflections of the character model make the mirrors in duke 3d look good

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I installed Dragon Quest, looking for a JRPG but then I got Yakuza like a dragon and the dialogue after the combat tutorial was. "It's like your favorite game dragon quest."

I uninstalled dragon quest.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why would you uninstall possibly the greatest JRPG of all time?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Am I missing something for xcloud? I legit can’t figure out how to get it to run on the pc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it's through the Xbox app? You could also try going to xbox.com/play and see if that works, but that's the mobile solution.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there still a way to transfer Xbox live membership to game pass? What’s the best way to do this if both of my memberships just expired.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Am I missing something for xcloud? I legit can’t figure out how to get it to run on the pc.
You run PC XCloud through your browser, provided your browser is Chrome or Edge.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What’s the best way to pick up a series x these days? Is there a recommended Twitter follow or discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MarcusSA posted:

You go to xbox.com/play, plug your controller into your pc by either USB (I use my phone charger cable) or bluetooth. It should automatically recognize your controller, you'll notice it because you can already browse the menu with your controller.
If you use bluetooth you will have to use the sync button on your controller first to sync it with windows. Bluetooth didn't go very smoothly for me but the cable worked immediately.