Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This is shaping up to be a really awesome expansion! I have a couple of games I'm excited to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Noob question: Im trying to conquer Ireland and I have a claim on the Earldom next to me but I can't declare war because I have an alliance with him. How do I break the alliance so I can declare war?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
One: Just declare war anyways, there's a warning that you'll be branded traitor forever but it should be technically allowable.

Two: Find out why you are allied and nullify it. e.g. marriage? Assassinate the bride! etc.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Plus you get the amusing mental image of poisoning someone to death, getting caught, shrugging, declaring war on her widower, and having everyone go "well, at least he's not dishonorable."

v: Perfect

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Serephina posted:

One: Just declare war anyways, there's a warning that you'll be branded traitor forever but it should be technically allowable.

Two: Find out why you are allied and nullify it. e.g. marriage? Assassinate the bride! etc.

Thank you! Turns out my son was betrothed to his daughter so I had her assassinated then declared war (and then he kicked my rear end)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... break... betrothal?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol yea Break Betrothal is def the way to go if they're not already married, but also that's peak CK3 so :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is the most perfect solution possible and I'm not hearing a word of it otherwise!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Nothing quite like getting your rear end kicked in a war you started and were sure you would win.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

How are u posted:

Nothing quite like getting your rear end kicked in a war you started and were sure you would win.

My personal favourite is starting a war with your aging ruler for more land for your heir then dying halfway into it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

eleven extra elephants posted:

My personal favourite is starting a war with your aging ruler for more land for your heir then dying halfway into it.

Does the Unpressed Claim become Pressed upon the end of the war or the start? But yeah that'd suck, especially when you're still in Confederate Partition and now one of your heir's brothers has the good land with more gold income/levies

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dwesa posted:

New dev diary A Fresh Coat of Paint​

Fairly small:
- option to give cultures/faiths/realms colour of your choice
- some bugfixes

This is the single biggest quality of life change Paradox could have made, and something I have been wanting in Crusader Kings for almost a decade.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My Karling restorations CK3 game has gotten off to a strong start. Year is 1090 and my starting count has conquered the county of Clermont and Valois (from my brother in law, but it was his father's fault. He fabricated a claim on the county of Vermandios, so it was only proper to retaliate.) That brother in law died of some internal injuries (don't know how this happened), so my wife inherited Amiens. I made my sister in law Cecelia Normandie the Duchess of Flanders with the help of her brother. So, if she has a child in the next 10 years, that will go to a Karling.

I have three sons, but my heir will inherit one county from me and one from my wife, so it's not too bad.

Lol. Just checked out my grandkids by my heir. loving worthless

Just arranged a marriage between my grandson and neice. How likely is that to end up with mutants? I've got the first Dynasty achievement for the Blood.

Drunk as hell, just like a CK player should be

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Just like in real life, marrying someone to a close-ish family member is unlikely to result in mutants. Just don't make it a habit and remember to mix it up by marrying some steppe nomads and Saracens every couple of generations.

On that note, I hate it when I try to marry someone and the game hits me with "these two are related and there's a risk of inbred". How big is this risk really, if they have one great-grandparent in common?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Sometimes I get this warning even with some random character, I am not sure whether game knows something I don't (some affair maybe) or it's calculated based on genetic similarity :shrug:

Dec 30, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol. Just checked out my grandkids by my heir. loving worthless

This reminds me, I wish the game would just notify you about any children of your dynasty that need a guardian. I end up with so many lovely grandchildren because I forget to assign a guardian to them because the game doesn't tell you about them.

Actually I guess what I really want is to be able to customise notifications. I have to assume that's coming at some point, you could do it in CK2 after all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Guest posted:

This reminds me, I wish the game would just notify you about any children of your dynasty that need a guardian. I end up with so many lovely grandchildren because I forget to assign a guardian to them because the game doesn't tell you about them.

Actually I guess what I really want is to be able to customise notifications. I have to assume that's coming at some point, you could do it in CK2 after all.

One is weezy, the other is ugly.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Guest posted:

Bring back court guardians!

Dec 30, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

One is weezy, the other is ugly.

Yeah but they could at least be erudite weezy ugly children.

pidan posted:

Bring back court guardians!

Actually I wonder if this could be one of the things that makes a return with Royal Court. They did say there would be court positions you could assign like court jester etc.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

With the new and improved portraits in CK3 your court jester had better get a funny costume.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
we live in a feudal society

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

Does the Unpressed Claim become Pressed upon the end of the war or the start? But yeah that'd suck, especially when you're still in Confederate Partition and now one of your heir's brothers has the good land with more gold income/levies

An unpressed claim only becomes pressed upon a white peace, but in this specific example it doesn't matter because the heir will just inherit the war directly (I'm not sure what happens if you then WP out of the war - I feel like you won't retroactively inherit the claim even if it becomes pressed but I've never actually tested this since I barely ever white peace) and can take the land anyway. Wars only end due to the death of the claimant if the war was declared on their behalf by someone else - wars to press your own claims are "inheritable" even if the claims themselves are not.

Although yes, as you mention, you will not be spared any of the other effects of inheritance, so you will find yourself in a much weaker position all of a sudden and may end up having to peace out of a war you could have won otherwise.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's very fringe, since the AI uses its own armies somewhat badly, but there's something to be said about deliberately starting wars you intend to "lose" if the loss you accept is a white peace, if only so you can press the claim later when it's more advantageous. Refusing to let the argument be settled, as it were.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I've used white peaces when they manage to get a much stronger ally mid-war, if I'm still currently winning. Keep the claim now (and start murdering) vs losing it when the Byzantines get here with 3x the army

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's very fringe, since the AI uses its own armies somewhat badly, but there's something to be said about deliberately starting wars you intend to "lose" if the loss you accept is a white peace, if only so you can press the claim later when it's more advantageous. Refusing to let the argument be settled, as it were.

Yea I do this all the time, usually to preserve high level titles in case I need to straighten out some messy borders later. White peaces are very easy to get from a position of strength which is a breath of fresh air.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

I've used white peaces when they manage to get a much stronger ally mid-war, if I'm still currently winning. Keep the claim now (and start murdering) vs losing it when the Byzantines get here with 3x the army

Yeah, that and "look, your capital's on another continent, so I'm not going to go siege it down, but I've kept control of the province you wanted for the last forty years, go away" are the two best reasons to use white peaces. It was very satisfying earlier today to go to war for the Yufirid Emirate as a 30-year-old, have to white peace out because of Sudden Allies, and then come back as a 60-year-old, to the exact same emir, and get to 90% in less than a year. (Peacemaker is good for making white peaces more likely but it's fantastic for not having to slog through the last ten percent before your doomed enemy gives up.)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Despite trying very hard to get in to CK2 I never could get more than a few games “done” as loving Ireland because borders were scary to me.

I have a fun CK3 game going on with something I never tried before, I’m the duke of Transylvania (1066 start). Unfortunately my liege got sucked in to the HRE so now I am as well because I was off being dumb instead of defending him so I could eventually declare independence and probably win. Am I just a cog in the HRE now? If I wanted to become independent and maybe try and form my own kingdom - which I’m not sure I can do without it being a de jure kingdom in the first place - do I have to fight off the whole HRE or just parts of it? Should I be making alliances to maybe form an independence faction if I can make that work with hooks and poo poo?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You're currently a vassal of a vassal. So you'll have to get independent of your king first, which will make you a direct vassal of the emperor. Then you can war the emperor for complete independence. That would have you fighting the whole HRE, yes, though keep in mind you're only actually fighting the Emperor unless he has alliances with some of his vassals, so he'll have his own demesne troops and then whatever little fraction of his vassals' he's due. Still very tough. An independence faction is much better, especially if you can get some core vassals to join it with you (for example, if the emperor is a huge asshat and everyone hates him).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nuketulsa posted:

Despite trying very hard to get in to CK2 I never could get more than a few games “done” as loving Ireland because borders were scary to me.

I have a fun CK3 game going on with something I never tried before, I’m the duke of Transylvania (1066 start). Unfortunately my liege got sucked in to the HRE so now I am as well because I was off being dumb instead of defending him so I could eventually declare independence and probably win. Am I just a cog in the HRE now? If I wanted to become independent and maybe try and form my own kingdom - which I’m not sure I can do without it being a de jure kingdom in the first place - do I have to fight off the whole HRE or just parts of it? Should I be making alliances to maybe form an independence faction if I can make that work with hooks and poo poo?

Why not just become a king and then try to get elected Emperor?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How is the head of house decided? I thought it was whoever had the most soldiers.

I'm a two province count with 1200~ troops. I have two brothers, each a count with about 500 men and a neice who is a duchess with three counties and 2300~ troops. Shouldn't she be the head of the house instead of me?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Charlz Guybon posted:

How is the head of house decided? I thought it was whoever had the most soldiers.

I'm a two province count with 1200~ troops. I have two brothers, each a count with about 500 men and a neice who is a duchess with three counties and 2300~ troops. Shouldn't she be the head of the house instead of me?

House Head is basically a title that's inherited by the primary heir. The strongest House Head in the Dynasty becomes Dynasty Head.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I do wish the surrender system was more flexible than having to hit exactly 100 or 90 percent war score, I'm not sure how they'd do it though.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They could tie it to traits and stress. Like stubborn or brave characters want you to go up to 100 score before yeilding while craven or content characters want it to end sooner. May depend on Casus Belli too, like zealous characters have to be totally beaten in a holy war, ambitious people fight for independence till the end etc.

The issue with that system would be the lack of transparency. It's convinient that you need to reach 100% to win or lose except special cases.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ilitarist posted:

They could tie it to traits and stress. Like stubborn or brave characters want you to go up to 100 score before yeilding while craven or content characters want it to end sooner. May depend on Casus Belli too, like zealous characters have to be totally beaten in a holy war, ambitious people fight for independence till the end etc.

The issue with that system would be the lack of transparency. It's convinient that you need to reach 100% to win or lose except special cases.

Yeah, I feel like even if traits and stress were involved, it's less likely that they would lower the required war score than that they would act as a multiplier on the effect events have on war score. (Which, conveniently, would allow for going effectively "above" 100, as well.)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The HRE is a rotating door in my game, although I thought this was hilarious. Guy gets put on the throne by a faction, and within a month decided it was bullshit and drank himself to death.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just wish most wars didn't cap Battle score at 50%. If I'm thrashing them that badly just let me win already.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I just wish most wars didn't cap Battle score at 50%. If I'm thrashing them that badly just let me win already.

Yeah, battle score should always be completely uncapped for defenders, and then probably 50-75% for offensive, depending upon CB. For something like a county claim, 75% cap on battle is fine. For something like a kingdom holy war, 50% cap on battle makes sense. Maybe subjugation should let you get to 100% on battles, since if you can defeat in detail their armies, clearly you deserve to subjugate them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, I found that if I'm actually winning the war that badly, the ticking wargoals will fix things in short order. If the wargoal *isn't* ticking, then I'm not actually winning the war as much as my ego tells me I am. If you just want someone off of your back, white peace exists; the victory part is to make them drop their claims.

This is one thing ck3 did basically perfect, in my opinion.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

So my liege (King of Hungary - he’s going to die soon I think) became independent from the HRE after a war, I kind of helped. Now can I fight for my own independence and form my own kingdom of Transylvania or does it have to be a de jure kingdom? I see “form new kingdom” as a major decision but I’m not sure what’s going to happen when I can finally click it.

Sorry for newb question. I’m having a lot of fun with this and I’m for sure looking forward to seeing how they expand it.

Also I kind of wish I had a buffer with the Byzantines.. I hope I can get an alliance or something.

E: okay I think I get it, I can make a new kingdom with the duchies I control (3) but if I form a de jure kingdom I get claims on the parts I don’t own

mst4k fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So getting my 1400~ troops annihilated in the 1st battle of the crusade was enough for me to lead the crusade in war score and my cousin became King. How does that make sense? I didn't do anything else.

I used ducal conquest later on to conquer two more counties and become Duke of Valois. I feel like there ahould have been negative reactions for conquering my nephew among my house. Or from my own character since they're compassionate and forgiving.

Karlings are back in buisness now. They now have a King of Jerusalem, Duke of Valois and Duchess of Flanders (married to another Karling).