Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

cities like london got so crowded that the thames river literally went stagnant and rotted, which lead directly to the birth of modern sewer engineering, because just crapping in pits or hoping the river would flush turds away wasn't cutting it anymore

My favorite forgotten chapter of Les Miserables is where Victor Hugo muses on the enormous amount of human feces that just float out of Paris on the Seine, and how it could be put to use by being scooped up and repurposed as manure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My favorite forgotten chapter of Les Miserables is where Victor Hugo muses on the enormous amount of human feces that just float out of Paris on the Seine, and how it could be put to use by being scooped up and repurposed as manure.

Isn't using human poo as fertilizer a bad idea, due to poo born disease?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
nowadays yeah, but back then you'd have more contact with feces anyway and the removal/sale of feces to nearby farms as fertilizer was as good a waste disposal system as any

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Everything about 19th century cities is a bad idea.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
since we're talking about sewers, I recently learn that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatberg

are a thing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mister Facetious posted:

Folding wings are passé; they need to be swing wings, and come out from underneath the car.

Basically I want a stretched Dodge Intrepid R/T with wings.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

PhazonLink posted:

are a thing

dont doxx me, thx

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

horse manure was also a huge crisis for late 1800s cities since horses were used for pretty much all goods transportation. for all the problems of the modern car centric city it at least beats having piles of horseshit everywhere

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Stexils posted:

horse manure was also a huge crisis for late 1800s cities since horses were used for pretty much all goods transportation. for all the problems of the modern car centric city it at least beats having piles of horseshit everywhere

Apart from the piles behind the wheel, at any rate.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

increases in population during the early modern/industrial revolution greatly increased the volume of waste dumped in the river. in preindustrial london the population was lower, and a lot of waste-producing production (think leather tanning, pig slaughtering) was also displaced outside of the city. large, large pre-industrial cities are scarce for this reason, you need a high degree of local, natural 'waste management' capacity to deal with it all, as well as a lot of labor involved in literal poo poo-pit digging and poo poo haulage to deal with the human waste. most large pre-industrial cities have a robust underclass of people whose job it is to lug buckets of poo poo for dispersal/sale for nearby farmers, or just to dump it in a different river or hole

starting in the mid 18thc the population of europe especially starts to go up, and more of those people end up in cities. because the areas near cities are used for housing now and not food or agricultural/industrial production (which also generates waste) this is where cities start getting really nasty, and is the origin of tales like "medieval people threw poo poo buckets out their windows" and "medieval people couldn't drink water for lack of clean water" because the people of the 18th and 19thc didn't want to think they were living in filthier conditions than the savages of the past. but yeah, cities like london got so crowded that the thames river literally went stagnant and rotted, which lead directly to the birth of modern sewer engineering, because just crapping in pits or hoping the river would flush turds away wasn't cutting it anymore

It is true tho afaik that medieval cities usually had negative natural population growth due to diseases and would have shrunk without immigration from the countryside

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Solid waste from sewage treatment is pretty commonly used as fertiliser these days: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosolids

It’s collected after treatment though, which mitigates the contamination risk.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Stexils posted:

Another thing was the noise - a constant cacophony of horseshoes impacting cobblestones. It is one advantage asphalt has.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

upsidedown posted:

Solid waste from sewage treatment is pretty commonly used as fertiliser these days: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosolids

It’s collected after treatment though, which mitigates the contamination risk.

My home town has done this for decades, providing close to free potting soil/ yard soil for the metro. It rocks. Always had a good garden where-ever I lived in the city.

https://www.cityoftacoma.org/government/city_departments/environmentalservices/tagro

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just found out that cops are now playing copyrighted music when they do their crimes so that the videos get DCMA striked.

they have been doing that for like a year now, im not sure anyone has confirmed it actually works

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

duz posted:

they have been doing that for like a year now, im not sure anyone has confirmed it actually works

There's groups that will remove and filter the copyrighted music for you, so it really only stops people unaware of that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i want to live in the timeline where its the cops that the RIAA sue for a trillion trillion googaplex dollars for pirating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

i want to live in the timeline where its the cops that the RIAA sue for a trillion trillion googaplex dollars for pirating.

The RIAA knows who enforces their property rights.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

are a thing

I'm kinda relieved that the fatbergs are not entirely fat

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the thing that weirds me out is that they can become stone like.

(sewer) chemistry is magic.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Apparently they can also be converted into fuel, soo I can't wait until Sewer Shark becomes a reality except it's about mining farbergs. Probably less stupid than the cyberpunk dystopia we have now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The RIAA knows who enforces their property rights.

Youtube's automatic DMCA algorithm Lawyers and judges?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mercury_Storm posted:

Apparently they can also be converted into fuel, soo I can't wait until Sewer Shark becomes a reality except it's about mining farbergs. Probably less stupid than the cyberpunk dystopia we have now.

Somewhere out there, the elon musk of sewer maintenance is making the new starlink, but it's a fleet of transport modules from tmnt clearing fatburgs.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

the thing that weirds me out is that they can become stone like.

(sewer) chemistry is magic.

That can happen to corpses iirc. They become this solid soaplike mummy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CommieGIR posted:

There's groups that will remove and filter the copyrighted music for you, so it really only stops people unaware of that.

I mean more does someone playing music from their lovely phone speaker register in enough quality on another phone's lovely microphone that it can be automatically detected.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

duz posted:

I mean more does someone playing music from their lovely phone speaker register in enough quality on another phone's lovely microphone that it can be automatically detected.

Warner Music will get its cut of your video monetization, no matter what they have to do to get it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

That can happen to corpses iirc. They become this solid soaplike mummy

the sewer mob is hardcore.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Youtube's automatic DMCA algorithm Lawyers and judges?

The people with guns who are allowed to kidnap you, and shoot you if you resist too hard.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

The people with guns who are allowed to kidnap you, and shoot you if you resist too hard.

I'm actually scared to ask you to cite the case of a (US) police team serving an arrest warrant/court summons and shooting someone over pirated music/video content. :ohdear:

Just say yes or no, don't link it if yes. I will 100% take your word for it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Volmarias posted:

I would venture a guess that the police almost never get involved in copyright disputes. Most disputes probably begin and end with a cease and desist letter and a strongly worded threat of legal action.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm actually scared to ask you to cite the case of a (US) police team serving an arrest warrant/court summons and shooting someone over pirated music/video content. :ohdear:

I don't think that one's actually happened, fortunately.

Clarste posted:

I would venture a guess that the police almost never get involved in copyright disputes. Most disputes probably begin and end with a cease and desist letter and a strongly worded threat of legal action.

The police are an arm of the state meant to enforce judgement made by the courts, which is why you can't just declare bankruptcy like Michael Scott and just walk away from all your problems.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

As far as I know police are criminal, so your civil DMCA gun-laden takedown would be by the sheriff's office. Who can bring police in to help.........

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

We were promised Matt Trakker, we got Elon Musk :(

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Some bigger police agencies have units that focus on counterfeit goods. I’m not sure where the line is there but it’s a crime based on intellectual property. For example:

https://www.lapdonline.org/home/news_view/67293

“The seized counterfeit items included over 662,809 imitation hats, beanies, t-shirts, footwear and video games in violation of recorded and registered trademarks. If genuine, the seized merchandise would have had an estimated manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $7,101,164.00.”

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

follow that camel!! posted:

Some bigger police agencies have units that focus on counterfeit goods. I’m not sure where the line is there but it’s a crime based on intellectual property. For example:

https://www.lapdonline.org/home/news_view/67293

“The seized counterfeit items included over 662,809 imitation hats, beanies, t-shirts, footwear and video games in violation of recorded and registered trademarks. If genuine, the seized merchandise would have had an estimated manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $7,101,164.00.”

What happens when the fakes are real though?

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/fake-airpods-shipment-seized/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I feel I should point out that those are physical, and not digital goods. There is something to actually confiscate.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1411075828713148418

Currently in progress.

Here's the innovative new industry blockchain really enables.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 3, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PhazonLink posted:

are there many cliffs or massive elevation changes in DC, Biden's home or other common prez places?

The geography of DC consists entirely of fiscal cliffs and mountains of DEBT (see Ramirez, Michael P). :barry:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Beelzebufo posted:

https://twitter.com/WSBakerSt/status/1411087616112357387

Currently in progress.

Here's the innovative new industry blockchain really enables.

Its gone! What was it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A Brand-New $130,000 Tesla Reportedly Caught Fire Days After Being Delivered

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ynbe/a-brand-new-dollar130000-tesla-reportedly-caught-fire-days-after-being-delivered

quote:

A Tesla Model S Plaid, a limited-edition $130,000 vehicle capable of going stupidly fast, erupted into a fireball just days after being delivered to a customer in Pennsylvania, according to lawyers representing the unnamed customer.

"Our client was trapped & could have died," tweeted Ben Meiselas, a lawyer with the firm Geragos & Geragos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Dawncloack posted:

Its gone! What was it?

Woops wrong tweet.

This one

https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1411075828713148418