Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I haven't found one low-profile enough to fit under the fuse box lid. I wonder if any OBD apps have Android Auto support so I could have data on the car display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

I haven't found one low-profile enough to fit under the fuse box lid. I wonder if any OBD apps have Android Auto support so I could have data on the car display.

What are you driving that has the OBD2 port under a fuse box? I didn't think that was allowed.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

2014 981 Cayman. It's in the driver's footwell fuse box. Probably the same on 991 and 718 too.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 30, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

2014 981 Cayman. It's in the driver's footwell fuse box. Probably the same on 991 and 718 too.

Wow, I've not run into that. I really though is used to be something that could not be covered. Back in the day it was a whole "has to be within x inches" of the steering wheel, uncovered unless it was just a plug over it.........

But yeah, not surprised those regs changed.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I love Porsche part numbers. 99155542102, so it's a shared 991 part like the bin I added my wireless charger under. I should get a spare and just cut a hole for a short reader to poke through.

Don't like this jank-rear end third party AA plugin though, and don't see any other solution, so maybe some other time. Could poke the Torque dev about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

It's the same in the Miata too :) The dongle is just big enough to prevent the fuse box door from closing. Though it seems like cutting the enclosure off could be enough to make it fit, but I never bothered. It bugs me a bit that the adapter is always powered through the port, so I tend to use it only when something is broken or I want to impress girls with manifold pressure gauges.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

Slidebite, since you asked previously, here's a cold start video of my 996. I realize I probably should have taken it from outside the car, but, :effort:. It had been sitting for 2 days. It's louder than a warm start but I can't hear any rattle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MVjTrQXZmQ
Thanks for that. Mines noisier.

Ended up buying a cheapo $20 princess auto reader although I am considering getting a Durametric too.

Pulled 3-MAF/throttle sensor related codes.
P0102 (pending)
P1124
P1126

I *suspect* they have to do with when I had the intake ripped apart when I did the thermostat/oil fill tube and re-assembled it with a massive vacuum leak from the throttle body to the intake plenum (awkward as hell). That said, not sure why the light didn't go on right then and there but waited until a couple weeks later :shrug:

Cleared them, hasn't come back yet. I'm not going to worry about it unless it reappears.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slidebite, I have a Durametric for my Macan that has a spare VIN code left. (Shout out to wallaka, who sold it to me in the first place.) If you wanted to borrow it to see if it would be worth buying for yourself, you're more than welcome to.

I need to either drive my RX-8 or Duke down to visit the YYC goons soon, so I'll be in your neck of the woods.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh that's awesome, I really appreciate it. I might take you up on that but truth be told I don't know how much I'd use it or if I'd want the coding capabilities.

I actually periodically have my eyes open for a PST-2. Sometimes a place I deal with periodically has them every now and then and has full dealer capabilities - like even coding keys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gave the car a good cleaning. Now my brake warning light is on. Only thing I can think of was when I was cleaning the inside of rims with the wash mtt I may have dislodged a wear sensor when I was wiping around/behind a caliper. :saddowns: Back on the quickjack I guess! :buddy:

Rinsed the floor mats off and leaned against the house while I was drying the car off in the garage. The mats were dry in 10 minutes just from the sun. :stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cel tripped again.

Guess that means I'm doing a deeper dive and maybe replacing the MAF.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What's the recommended service manual for 987.1 cars? I did find this collection of PDFs https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q6m481udo92ndyb/AABm3tMd17XPctH0ABa9agMua?dl=0 but I'd really like a hard copy version for the garage.

Oil change and deep sump install this weekend.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a Bentley manual for the 996 and it's really quite good. They make one for the 986 but I am not so sure of the 987. My quick amazon search didn't show one at least.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Here are how my exhaust tips are situated:

https://imgur.com/a/hxArA8G

Do you think I can get enough adjustment out of that locking clamp that attaches the tip to get it moved appreciably out/away from my bumper? Or should I save it for my indy shop appointment in August?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't remember what there is for adjustment but I'd give it a try. What do you have to lose?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I don't remember what there is for adjustment but I'd give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Are the back of your tips that close to the neighboring pipe? Did my first oil change on it and here's what was on my magnetic plug. Doesn't look like much to me.

https://imgur.com/a/ZC4q2Wh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think so, but I'll take a better look today and take a photo for you.

The debris on the plug doesn't look terrible, but truth be told it's hard to say how long it's been like that. Now that you know it's changed get on your regular schedule (I do once per year spring, since I drive so little) and it'll give you a good feeling for how things are.

For a more enlightening exercise, consider pulling off the bottom cover/sump plate next time you do an oil change. You'll get a better idea on the plastic chain guide/shoe wear. That's the general wear stuff in these and of course are not magnetic. So short of dissecting your filter or examing the bottom of your drain pan for debris you'll never notice.

Using the OEM filter/canister or did you do you have an LN spin-on adapter? You replaced the crush washer?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I don't think so, but I'll take a better look today and take a photo for you.

The debris on the plug doesn't look terrible, but truth be told it's hard to say how long it's been like that. Now that you know it's changed get on your regular schedule (I do once per year spring, since I drive so little) and it'll give you a good feeling for how things are.

For a more enlightening exercise, consider pulling off the bottom cover/sump plate next time you do an oil change. You'll get a better idea on the plastic chain guide/shoe wear. That's the general wear stuff in these and of course are not magnetic. So short of dissecting your filter or examing the bottom of your drain pan for debris you'll never notice.

Using the OEM filter/canister or did you do you have an LN spin-on adapter? You replaced the crush washer?

I should do that next time, you're right. Half of the timing bits have been replaced, but the other bank has not and has 3 degrees of deviation, so it would be interested to see what everything looks like. How much time/difficulty would you say it adds?

I used an OEM filter and it has the OE canister. It is my least favorite part of the change, getting the adapter tool on and off of that. The filter housing was pretty chewed up by someone in the past too, lol. I replaced the crush and put a new stock plug on at 37ft lbs. Seemed to be a good amount of force to tighten it, hopefully it wasn't over.

I just got a lead on a set of 986 boxster fried eggs for about $300 and they look to be in decent shape. I might go for it even though I really want the slightly cosmetically different 996 versions...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just took a better look at your exhaust photos. Your tips do not look like original oe parts so I suspect the po replaced them... potentially the exhaust too so that's probably why they're not lining up right.

Pulling the sump pan is certainly not difficult but you won't want to rush it. You want to completely clean it and then when you reinstall use really good gasket sealant give it several hours, preferably overnight to cure.

Loctite/permatex/Henkel make good stuff.

Here are my tips. You can plainly see the OE stampings. I'm wearing white right now so I didn't want to get on the floor and roll around but if you would like me to I will later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks that is plenty helpful, especially discovering mine are not OEM. Looks like a used set can be had relatively cheaply. I didn't mess with those today but I did wash the car. It took way longer than normal to start after washing, did I go too ham with the pressure washer over the engine compartment?

If I'm pic or otherwise spamming the thread too much let me know, I could make my own thread.

Oh, I also ordered a set of used 986 fried eggs that I got a decent deal on from the UK. I haven't decided if I'm going to use them or not as I'm not 100% certain of what's going on with my current lights.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Keep posting pics and asking questions, not a bad thing man. Wish more people asked questions.

RE: the lights - I am not sure the UK is a good idea as they drive on the LH side of the road, no?

I'm sure washing the engine compartment was fine as long as you didn't do anything nuts and it still started/runs.

Got my MAF sensor in today. Same part# as old one, so that's good news. Not even a rev#.

Pull the old one out (security torx - first time I've seen on the car) new one dropped in, tight but fit.

Go to put connector on and it is TIGHT. Had a hard time getting it on.

Jump in car, clear CEL and fire up. Stumble, stumble, hack cough. No way is it running right.

Well, gently caress.

Take out, put old one back in. Purrs. Take for 50KM rip - no CEL.
:shrug:

Best thing I can think, maybe I didn't have the original one plugged all the way on (I did have that happen once before for sure) and since the new one was so tight, maybe I had that one worse.

Either way, I'll keep the original in for a couple days and fire the other back through Amazon.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

UK lights will be aimed the wrong way because of driving on the other side of the road which is why they were cheaper than Euro ones. You might need to modify them to repoint the lenses the right way.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well poo poo balls and rear end.

Edit: he hadn’t shipped yet so I was able to refund. Thanks for saving my rear end again lol.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 5, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL hopefully they didn't ship them yet and you can cancel.

Or maybe you'll get lucky and they're from a German spec car. You do sometime see mainland Europe cars in the UK so it's not impossible... Although I think you would have to be exceptionally lucky and you would think the seller would have mentioned that in his ad.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I would check if they can be reaimed. When UK cars drive in Europe you have to put reflective stickers on the head lights to stop the beams being aimed into oncoming traffic. This thread seems to confirm what I am thinking https://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/64942-headlamp-europe.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

From what I recall those units are an incredible pain in the rear end to pull apart for any internal access. I'm not sure if that is in willrocs comfort zone or wheelhouse.

But sure if they're already on its way and he has nothing to lose at this point then why not try? I certainly haven't researched it to any amount.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

He hadn’t shipped yet so I am out of that one. Is there any special sequence to the ignition I’m missing? Sometimes after the oil sensor finishes the car won’t try to start at all when I key it over. If I key it through quickly after insertion it starts every time though. The manual was not Illuminating in this regard. I swear I have the clutch all the way in…

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 5, 2021

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Do you guys have a recommendation for a wash/wax kit? I see all sorts of stuff on Amazon and the paint on this beast is not in the best shape, so I would like to do what I can to help it out. I was debating on getting it professionally detailed first then getting something to maintain it so any and all suggestions welcome...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kensei posted:

Do you guys have a recommendation for a wash/wax kit? I see all sorts of stuff on Amazon and the paint on this beast is not in the best shape, so I would like to do what I can to help it out. I was debating on getting it professionally detailed first then getting something to maintain it so any and all suggestions welcome...

What beast are we talking about? Age, type, condition, history all make differences in what products to use.

Edit: If it's the Boxster you've talked about in this thread, then it's new enough and in good enough shape that any major brand's kit would be fine. Meguiars low end, Griots is okay, I like Chemical Guys stuff... I get Zymol for free, but only use a few of their products, I'm not generally impressed with their paint care products.

(poo poo, I thought I was replying to the detailing thread)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 6, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I use the chemical guys stuff from Amazon that is on sale every prime day. Does fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

He hadn’t shipped yet so I am out of that one. Is there any special sequence to the ignition I’m missing? Sometimes after the oil sensor finishes the car won’t try to start at all when I key it over. If I key it through quickly after insertion it starts every time though. The manual was not Illuminating in this regard. I swear I have the clutch all the way in…
It does seem to have something for a time out thing but just long enough for the oil level light seems waaay too soon.

For example, if I have my key "on" for a few minutes (but not started) I have to turn back to off to crank. Alternatively, if I stall the car I can't just immediately turn to "start" to start it - I need to quickly turn it off/on again. I'm not sure if it's a switch thing failing or some sort of electronic thing.

I do know a common hot restart issue it the main cable from (IIRC) the jump point to the alternator. I replaced that the first year I had the car....pain in the rear end as well. But I don't think that's your issue.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Glad it's not just me. Thank you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No prob - but just to be clear I'm not saying it's normal, it might not be. If it's not starting after just a few moments (like your oil level registering) that sounds waaaay to short.

Might be a question for Rennlist or something.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

meatpimp posted:

What beast are we talking about? Age, type, condition, history all make differences in what products to use.

Edit: If it's the Boxster you've talked about in this thread, then it's new enough and in good enough shape that any major brand's kit would be fine. Meguiars low end, Griots is okay, I like Chemical Guys stuff... I get Zymol for free, but only use a few of their products, I'm not generally impressed with their paint care products.

(poo poo, I thought I was replying to the detailing thread)

BigPaddy posted:

I use the chemical guys stuff from Amazon that is on sale every prime day. Does fine.

Of course I ask after Prime Day. Thank you both.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Got a lead on this set of 996 fried eggs from the US for $400 shipped. Look OK?

https://imgur.com/a/PbJjz2J

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yep. Look fine to me.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TYVM.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

NP. Some of the edges around the connector look a little funny/broken, but as long as the plug itself works I don't know why that would be a problem.

Also - I am assuming the electrical connectors are the same between the xenon and halogen but I have zero clue so you might want to just compare those pictures to your existing harness and see if it looks right.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

NP. Some of the edges around the connector look a little funny/broken, but as long as the plug itself works I don't know why that would be a problem.

Also - I am assuming the electrical connectors are the same between the xenon and halogen but I have zero clue so you might want to just compare those pictures to your existing harness and see if it looks right.

The only plug mine has currently is the main one that connects when you slide the light in - no other harness or connector. I'm pretty sure it's the same but I'll double check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Planning on driving a couple thousand miles, through Midwest to Colorado and back.

First: should I get the car waxed, for protection? It’s probably too late to gently caress with the other expensive paint protection poo poo

Second: any recommended routes around Rocky Mountains area. So far we’re looking at Guanella Pass, pikes peak, Rocky Mountain national, Leadville