Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChrisBTY posted:

The only things the Rock was better at than MJF at this point in time was pure energy and being a face.
The Rock was right dude, right place, right time. MJF doesn't quite have that going for him. It's likely nobody in pro wrestling ever will again.

Not for nothing, but MJF got great face pops back when he was sticking up for Cody against the Inner Circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I love these guys

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember feeling very cringey about it the first time they showed up on dynamite with the world’s weakest rap introducing themselves backstage but holy poo poo did they ever turn it around.

Another AEW success story.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

God, it would be so easy to turn the Acclaimed face. Which is a good reason to hold off on doing it for a while.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Acclaimed are gonna be tag champs one day and it's gonna be amazing

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

smarxist posted:

at the same time, retire JR and let's get a booth that skews towards the money demo age wise please ffs,

Yes. JR is a legend, and nothing will take that away, and in a way I can see the "it is good and cool to have the legend of wrestling commentary doing comms for us" angle. But god drat, JR is so far beyond his sell-by date that it's starting to become an active detriment.

By all means still keep him on the payroll (because I genuinely believe that's a big factor for Tony) but make him... head of commentary? Trainer for younger commentators? Drag him out for special occasions?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JR actively wants to be at the thin end of things and it seems like it’s the main reason he even signed with the company since his biggest beef with WWE was “I didn’t want to be stuck in an office to rot”.

He’s fine, it’s live TV and sometimes poo poo happens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who else will have the bravery to use the phrase “kiss your sister finish” on live tv???

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

paul burchill

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't know.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Switching names is a tic that a lot of people have, and a couple of his flubs are more in line with that. But it's genuinely concerning that he forgets the stuff he's talking about as he talks about it. In the past month he's forgotten OC and Penta's names and went silent for several seconds as Ex completed his sentences for him, and the WWE thing came seconds after talking about getting "AEW tickets". Like I'm not saying he should retire because he sucks, I'm saying I'm concerned that he's deteriorating and that touring again is going to be really bad for him. It's better to go out while you still have the agency to do so.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't worry too "munch" about jr's sticking around in aew being bad for him. his life is much, much better off looking dumb and having a useless tarnished legacy from that while making his aew money and having something to do in his life. i'm being paid to subliminally advertise the concept of having some food to eat soon

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Seth Gargis

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Im finally caught up on AEW after the hiatus messed up my viewing schedule and I feel I need to say this.

AEW is a good show.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

sticklefifer posted:

Switching names is a tic that a lot of people have, and a couple of his flubs are more in line with that. But it's genuinely concerning that he forgets the stuff he's talking about as he talks about it. In the past month he's forgotten OC and Penta's names and went silent for several seconds as Ex completed his sentences for him, and the WWE thing came seconds after talking about getting "AEW tickets". Like I'm not saying he should retire because he sucks, I'm saying I'm concerned that he's deteriorating and that touring again is going to be really bad for him. It's better to go out while you still have the agency to do so.

let his friends and family be concerned and trust them more than yourself, person who does not personally know Jim Ross, to make judgments about whether or not he should be allowed to work the job he loves and keeps him happy as a person who has lived most of his life working in a hellish business and suffered immense personal tragedy throughout that time

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 2, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also JR worked for Vince for like, what, 25 years? And for roughly 10-15 years of that, they were the only game in town, as far as the general public goes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A lot of this concern for JR's health comes across as false. It feels more like an excuse and what you really want is him out the booth and replaced. The man has earned this spot and he'll be gone sooner rather than later. He's said it is literally the one thing keeping him alive after his wife was killed. Let him have it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I am here to boldly say that I have 0 concerns for Jim Ross's health. I want the commentary on the wrestling show I watch to be better

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

studies have shown an increased risk of cancer among those who regularly consume meats grilled on a barbecue. JR has not only put his own life at risk but has encouraged millions of others to do the same

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqLwuuN368

interesting time to run this, especially since we saw AJ on BTE, so she's hanging out

hopefully she's cleared soon!

edit: lol @ special guest

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

smarxist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqLwuuN368

interesting time to run this, especially since we saw AJ on BTE, so she's hanging out

hopefully she's cleared soon!

edit: lol @ special guest

Per her unrestricted this week, she tore the same labrum again while working out. This likely means she won't be available until September/October with the kindest estimates and March at the poor end (probably longer since we don't know when the reinjury occurred)

:smith:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
:negative: gosh that sucks

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I think if Excalibur or Taz or Tony had said "WWE Dynamite" everyone would have been "lol he mess up" and that would be it, but people have a weird hate boner for JR so if the dude pauses too long they want his head on a stick. It's loving weird.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
jr gets lost on commentary sometimes these days and has unintentionally said some rough/lovely things about the nonwhite and nonmale people in aew by virtue of not thinking enough about what's coming out of his mouth, and for that reason it's worth thinking that someone should get lined up to replace him on main commentary. i feel like people are acting as if thinking he should retire soon is comparable to suggesting tony khan should take him out back like old yeller, and i'm confident that aew will find a way to keep him happy if and when it's time for him to start taking time off

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Y'all want to abandon JR in Tokyo

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I would either accept JR in a Very Special Interview role or for him to be chokeslammed to hell off a 40 story tower by The Wall

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

studies have shown an increased risk of cancer among those who regularly consume meats grilled on a barbecue. JR has not only put his own life at risk but has encouraged millions of others to do the same

Reminds me of this

https://twitter.com/Struggle_Tweet/status/1410649304146997249

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Splice together JR's lines from the video game and replace him with that.

The poison has been injected into my rear end!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JR is 69, a widower, everything is bad for him, and he probably wants too die with the headset on. And I don't mean that to be depressing but the dude is old and his time is coming no matter how he lives it so I'm very happy and glad he's involved with the thing he loves.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

I am here to boldly say that I have 0 concerns for Jim Ross's health. I want the commentary on the wrestling show I watch to be better

Weird!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

he probably wants too die with the headset on.

Buddy he dies every week!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I bet JR is excited to do commentary in air conditioned arenas instead of outside in the swamp.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
JR adds much needed chaos to AEW that is on the low side with the departure of Ivelisse. I am hoping Lana will come in and bring our levels back up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Buddy he dies every week!!!

Good night from WWE Dynamiuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

enigmahfc posted:

I think if Excalibur or Taz or Tony had said "WWE Dynamite" everyone would have been "lol he mess up" and that would be it, but people have a weird hate boner for JR so if the dude pauses too long they want his head on a stick. It's loving weird.

He makes lots of mistakes, buries the in ring and says things that people view as problematic. He's distracting in a negative way to a lot of people.

I dont want JR fired into the sun (imo use him as a sitdown guy and bring him out for matches you know he'll like, i.e. not ones where theres a legal man for him to bitch about), but can we please not act like the people who want him off the desk are just mysteriously angry for no reason. The guy has been bad at his job for three years, longer if you watched NJPW on AXS before AEW.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rick is clean

https://twitter.com/madmadref/status/1410977392307302402

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

lol Dynamite's gonna be right in the middle of a hurricane next week.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

is miro booked for next week, i'm sure he can have a chat with god

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

enigmahfc posted:

Super cool that "hey maybe he's not all there and it sucks to watch it happen in real-time" is grossly exaggerated as "throw his body in a woodchipper that useless old gently caress". That's loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Kirios posted:

Good thing Jade's not on the card or they'd have to edit her theme's opening.