Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's James Wallis, best known for his fake PhD and for running a website service helping young students prostitute themselves to businessmen (AKA "Tories").

E: 127 is the largest integer that can be stored as a signed 8-bit value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We've shaken off the homophobic and antisemitic Muslim voters and gained the peaceful and tolerant Conservative voters.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Weird that all these homophobic Muslims were voting for the loonie lefty woke party that couldn’t connect with the real English before.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Getting big "I regularly devour human babies to feed off their lifeforce" vibes from this guy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

Weird that all these homophobic Muslims were voting for the loonie lefty woke party that couldn’t connect with the real English before.
But the woke left is also homophobic because they believe in the gender.

Please ignore that all the terfs regularly go to the same meetings as homophobic religious right pastors and forward newsletters about how trans is a plot by Jewish doctors.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
A few pages ago someone mentioned hearing music and seeing pictures, together on their TV, you might enjoy this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatsi_trilogy if you haven't already tried it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Kind of a weird question, but my last living grandparent in the Netherlands passed away recently and I inherited a 1973 gold Krugerrand as a result (they had several stored away in their house in case poo poo ever went down -- WWII will do that to you I guess...). Has anyone had experience selling gold like this?

I understand that I'll probably have to negotiate a bit, but I'm not sure what I should do to ensure I get the best price possible and minimise the stress involved in selling it. I'm in Scotland, btw.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
just find a vending machine you can get it in. or a car park ticket machine and dont go back for the car until next year.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

Kind of a weird question, but my last living grandparent in the Netherlands passed away recently and I inherited a 1973 gold Krugerrand as a result (they had several stored away in their house in case poo poo ever went down -- WWII will do that to you I guess...). Has anyone had experience selling gold like this?

I understand that I'll probably have to negotiate a bit, but I'm not sure what I should do to ensure I get the best price possible and minimise the stress involved in selling it. I'm in Scotland, btw.

probably have to get it valued (& insured?) and sold at auction unless you want just the gold value melted down

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

A few pages ago someone mentioned hearing music and seeing pictures, together on their TV, you might enjoy this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatsi_trilogy if you haven't already tried it.

I'm so pissed off I only found out about Koyaanisqatsi after my drug-taking days were long over.

Mind you I'm fairly sure I watch it wrong because the time-lapse bits of cities and the demolition of Pruitt-Igoe are by far my favourite bits (the only thing that could make the latter better would be if the council members who deliberately crippled the estate were under the rubble) and I come away from it thinking "Woah the modern world is loving awesome and we definitely need to do more of this".

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Is it even feasible to properly purge the labour party? I imagine the parasitic little fuckers have been using keefs tenure to further dig in, once it was clear the leaked report/forde report was goin' fuckin' nowhere

If the goal is to purge the majority of the parliamentary party, you are naturally going to get a majority against that.

If your goal is less than that, it would needs to have very sharp boundaries to have a chance of success. Because those who are against being purged will present it as being against a wider group. And if they are enough of them, they will likely succeed in doing so.

I mean, you have to go full Galloway before the left is ok with expulsion, and even that was controversial at the time. The right and center will be no different. To purge successfully, you need some binary issue like Brexit to establish who is safe.

There is an argument that the story of the last 5 years was the failure to organise an official and formal rebalancing of factions led to activists trying to take things into their own hands. Which meant using social media to persuade MPs to retire, resign, or get distracted from effectively campaigning.

The defence against that attack was cries of anti-Semitism, and so arguments of the form ‘Me calling you a oval office has nothing to do with you being a Jew, it because you are a useless centrist melt,’ Which you would need to have a media environment very different from the one that exists to win under.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Credit cards should not be used by anyone with a lack of discipline or self control with money

True that, I managed to rack up something like 15k Euros in credit card debts alone, now I only own a debit card. I'm not even allowed to get another credit card for the next 3-4 years.

A lack of self control and credit cards don't mix

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Feels weird to be genuinely gutted that Labour won an election, but that's 2021 for ya

Crankit posted:

gently caress yes, this is so my thing

Unlike twisto my drug taking days are most assuredly not over yet

Sorry Twisto!

EDIT - another thing I like to do is put on a 4K walkabout video on youtube (the ones that are like "night time walk around Tokyo in the rain 4K") and then listen to music watching that. Me and my bud sometimes do that together (online, of course) - watch the same stream and then we take turns putting on albums on w2g.tv

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 2, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Libluini posted:

True that, I managed to rack up something like 15k Euros in credit card debts alone, now I only own a debit card. I'm not even allowed to get another credit card for the next 3-4 years.

A lack of self control and credit cards don't mix

Holy gently caress. I put 2 grand on a credit card to build a gaming pc and i had to talk myself into it for 6 months first and i hammered it down. I am Scottish though and by nature a tight fisted scrooge.

In fairness my dad brought me up saying "always keep 3 months wages in the bank in case everything goes to poo poo" and thats a lesson to live by

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My favorite, and only, phillip glass fact is that he apparently had a hand in designing this thing which was a musical instrument built as a joke out of an automat.

So apparently in addition to the thing most people know him for he also had a sense of humour.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT - another thing I like to do is put on a 4K walkabout video on youtube (the ones that are like "night time walk around Tokyo in the rain 4K") and then listen to music watching that. Me and my bud sometimes do that together (online, of course) - watch the same stream and then we take turns putting on albums on w2g.tv

Lol I had no idea this was even a genre, feel like I could make some money just by rigging up my 360 camera on a stick off my backpack when I go for a wander.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I looked online to find the sort of price I might expect then took it round about 4 different gold buying shops (independent, not smelty downy ramsdens types) and asked their opinion. All gave about the same valuation and I went back to the one who gave the highest. No harm in haggling, think it might have got me an extra tenner? There’s also the eBay auction option, but for me I just wanted to know I’d get a fair price without much hassle and the above worked to that end.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

OwlFancier posted:

So apparently in addition to the thing most people know him for he also had a sense of humour.

https://twitter.com/philipglass/status/1283854000392151041?s=21

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm in Scotland, btw.

I hear Brewdog are in the market for gold.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

My favorite, and only, phillip glass fact is that he apparently had a hand in designing this thing which was a musical instrument built as a joke out of an automat.

I've been to a phillip glass concert in a former steel mill few years back and it was brilliant.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

MeinPanzer posted:

Has anyone had experience selling gold like this?

Just take it around the jewellers in your nearest city. They will each give you a price and you can go back to the best one later.

A Krugerrand likely won’t be melted down as it has collector value, so you may actually get a decent amount.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh great, more hiccups:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/travel-europe-vaccine-astrazeneca-covishield-b1876764.html

quote:

Millions of Britons could be shut out of European holidays because some AstraZeneca jabs are not automatically recognised by the EU vaccine passport scheme, it was reported on Friday.

The new EU Covid certificate, designed to open up travel for those immunised against the virus, does not include batches of the vaccine produced in India because they have not been approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

Turns out my first AZ was one of the 'not recognized' Indian ones.

See here: https://www.nationalworld.com/healt...eld-jab-3294005

I'm NOT planning to go anywhere, but just thought I'd see what the lay of the land is so I got my covid 'passport' today and it gives the AZ batch codes on it.
My first one was 4120Z001 - one of the Indian ones.

So if you are planning to go abroad for whatever reason (and not every trip is a 'holiday' - one of my brothers works in France and hasn't seen his kids since January - simply cannot afford all the various tests, quarantine expenses etc) you need to check, check, check before shelling out dough on flights etc.

ps Covid passport is only valid for 30 days - or there is an 'event' version not sure what that means. So you need to be sure to get an uptodate one if you are travelling.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Jesus Christ that website gave me cancer.

The pertinent bit is:

quote:

The EU Digital Covid Certificate is now in operation to allow travel without the requirement to quarantine, but it will reportedly not recognise the Indian-made AstraZeneca vaccines with the batch numbers 4120Z001, 4120Z002 and 4120Z003.

Edit: 4120Z002 was my first jab.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol I had no idea this was even a genre, feel like I could make some money just by rigging up my 360 camera on a stick off my backpack when I go for a wander.

Do it and I'll watch it. I'm completely serious.

Another thing I like to do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ururururghghghghghhhrrugh vuctory for mulky tea polutucs and wut uuuuugggss!!!!!!!!!!!!! ururrurghurhghghhgh

labour is buuuuck uurhgh :shrek:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biggus Dickus posted:

Jesus Christ that website gave me cancer.

The pertinent bit is:

Edit: 4120Z002 was my first jab.

Sup vaccine bro, me too. I suppose this is what I get for jumping the queue.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ah, the olders won't get their summer holdiays after all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think we oldies :corsair: get another booster in September so presumably that would help matters as long as it's not one of the Indian ones.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think we oldies :corsair: get another booster in September so presumably that would help matters as long as it's not one of the Indian ones.

That booster will (probably) be Pfizer or Moderna too, and as there's some evidence that having a mix of mRNA and AZ is more effective than two jabs of Pfizer we continue to get to lord it over the whipersnappers and their haircuts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That booster will (probably) be Pfizer or Moderna too, and as there's some evidence that having a mix of mRNA and AZ is more effective than two jabs of Pfizer we continue to get to lord it over the whipersnappers and their haircuts.
I'm currently trying to get an appointment with my GP to get pfizer for my second jab because AZ has given me icepick headaches.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Great day to dump bad news and it not be noticed as the Merk is in town for Boris to pout and preen himself in front of the cameras.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57694417

quote:

The PPS said that given "related evidential features" it was concluded "there was no longer a reasonable prospect of key evidence in proceedings against Soldier F and Soldier B being ruled admissible".
"Without this evidence, the test for prosecution was no longer considered met," the statement read.

In other words "We waited and delayed it for so long, we can now say its too long ago to do anything."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1410925640459735041

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is deeply upsetting. Not even a Proclaimers fan but Sunshine On Leith deserves better.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i had question time on for like 3 minutes last night because i'd just turned on the TV and was doing stuff in the kitchen for a bit, and people were talking about the toxic legacy of jeremy corbyn :nono: lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I had that game.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

My first jab was an Indian batch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/PronouncedAlva/status/1410963372846288904?s=20

So it turns out the right wingers are right, Diane Abbott is a moron after all. “I wouldn’t do to Keir what the right of the party did to Jeremy”

Why the gently caress not? You owe them nothing you absolute div.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/1410887726690353152

the tweet says exactly what happens but it's still extremely funny to read. fuckin' beeb.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

happyhippy posted:

Great day to dump bad news and it not be noticed as the Merk is in town for Boris to pout and preen himself in front of the cameras.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57694417

In other words "We waited and delayed it for so long, we can now say its too long ago to do anything."

Seems like standard practice for colonial soldier crimes tbh.

Like the whole rape and torture of independence fighters and activists in Cyprus and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/PronouncedAlva/status/1410963372846288904?s=20

So it turns out the right wingers are right, Diane Abbott is a moron after all. “I wouldn’t do to Keir what the right of the party did to Jeremy”

Why the gently caress not? You owe them nothing you absolute div.

I mean yeah she’s a good person but she’s never been a good mp. They might actually be opposite positions.