Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/davelevinthal/status/1410569675541516295

congresspeople keep doing retirement activities on the clock and getting praise for it

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

lets all die irl lmfao

Don't you mean... irD?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Nichael posted:

my dota mmr is the highest it's been since i've started playing again btw

Dotas acutally pretty goodright now been playing a few matches again after a couple year break. Hoodwink insanely fun

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

eviltastic posted:

ngl I kinda want to read that wine intern article.

quote:

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's side hustle: earning cash as a California winery intern
Dave Levinthal
May 10, 2021, 4:00 PM

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, an Arizona Democrat, disclosed working as a paid intern at a California winery. Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

As a US senator, Kyrsten Sinema, a Democrat of Arizona, earns $174,000 a year, funded by American taxpayers.

But Sinema recently worked a side hustle. As a California winery intern.

A new federal financial disclosure indicates Sinema earned $1,117.40 in wages last year from Three Sticks Winery in Sonoma, California.

"Kyrsten worked harvest for Three Sticks Winery, and in accordance with California law, was paid an entry level harvest rate," a Sinema representative, Hannah Hurley, told Insider in an email. Hurley added that the Senate Ethics Committee preapproved Sinema's work.

Three Stick Winery describes its harvest internship as a two-week job for people "passionate about wine, detail-oriented, excited to work hard, and have a positive attitude."

It says interns "will assist in all facets of harvest work including cleaning and sanitizing equipment, sorting fruit, punchdowns, making basic additions and managing fermentations according to winemaker instructions, barrel work, and other winery-related tasks."

Also: "Forklift experience is a plus."

A winery spokesperson, Maral Papakhian, said Sinema enthusiastically completed her internship and did "a lot of manual labor."

Added the winemaker Ryan Prichard: "Kyrsten was extremely hardworking and was a fantastic part of our team."

Last year, the California minimum wage was $12 an hour for employers with 25 employees or fewer and $13 an hour for employers with 26 or more employees. Sinema turned heads in March when she voted with a dramatic thumbs-down gesture against raising the federal minimum wage to $15.

Hurley did not answer a question about what inspired Sinema to obtain a winery internship or whether the senator had designs on one day entering the viticulture industry. In 2019, Sinema did work to secure tax breaks for the beer, wine, and distilled-spirits industries.

Sinema has at least one other tie to her temporary employer: an August 2020 fundraising invitation from Sinema's leadership political action committee listed Three Sticks Winery as one of the stops on a "Weekend of Wine and Food" tour of California wineries.

Sinema's Getting Stuff Done PAC asked individuals and political-action-committee representatives for a $5,000 contribution to participate.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

What the gently caress?

Sinema is certainly adept at punchdowns

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Because not everybody has a comfy office job where they can post on the internet all day and can roll up at 10am if they want to vote near their house.

Some people have commutes and hours long enough that they don't have time to get to their home precinct after work before the polls close. Some people don't even have reliable transportation.

Have you heard of computers dude. They don't have to put all the ballots in saddlebags and ride them across town to collect them all and confirm nobody voted twice.

I can vote in any precinct in my county, when I check in my info is pulled from the county voter database, the computer generates a custom ballot with my local races on it, and I'm checked off in the database so I can't go to the next precinct and vote again because they can see I already voted.

E: ngl it is extremely funny when someone on the internet tells me that a system I've used for years is a purely hypothetical idea that is so problematic it's likely impossible to ever make it work

im taking a moment to appreciate the irony of you starting this post out by mocking me for thinking that voting is the easiest thing in the universe and then seamlessly transitioning into mocking me for not thinking that voting is the easiest thing in the universe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lol voting

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I am genuinely impressed at Sinema's ability to become the worst senate democrat in the 2 years she's been in office while Joe Manchin has been working on it for 10.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I vote for democrats as often as I can to make sure this thread has more content

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Getting some real Marie Antoinette vibes from the top Dems these days. Clymer is doing 36 holes and 3 martini lunches and Sinema had a Hameau de la Reine experience harvesting grapes during the height of COVID last year.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

I vote for democrats as often as I can to make sure this thread has more content

reported for being a SHM rereg

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

That New York khiver probably has her finger on the pulse of the party and in the event she wins will have tons of content to generate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Squire posted:

That New York khiver probably has her finger on the pulse of the party and in the event she wins will have tons of content to generate.

I mean we did have that Josh the trucker guy make a vanity run at Congress, why not the KHivers, right

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Getting some real Marie Antoinette vibes from the top Dems these days. Clymer is doing 36 holes and 3 martini lunches and Sinema had a Hameau de la Reine experience harvesting grapes during the height of COVID last year.

They are also going full-on "Let them eat ice-cream".

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos
I hate the Dems more than I hate the chuds, because at least the chuds don’t lie about who they are and what they want

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

they know society's been so atomized that there's no more solidarity anymore in the lower classes, so they can do this poo poo without getting what they deserve

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shen Long posted:

I hate the Dems more than I hate the chuds, because at least the chuds don’t lie about who they are and what they want

oh 100% I want them both to fall into a big hole or whatever but at least the chuds tell me they hate me and enjoy seeing my life get worse, the dems will look you in the eye and tell you how sorry they are for the society they created's cruelty

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

raisin kane posted:

it's 116 degrees out there
(with the price of cheese down 1%)
biden tried to sniff my hair
(but the price of cheese is down 1%)

I read this with "Whitey on the moon" cadence.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The Succteen Nineteen Project

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

I've done a couple harvest seasons at wineries and it's grueling work. Constant physical labor and long hours, the kind of work that should make you, for example, pro raising the minimum wage

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

thalweg posted:

I've done a couple harvest seasons at wineries and it's grueling work. Constant physical labor and long hours, the kind of work that should make you, for example, pro raising the minimum wage

yes but if you're not doing the work and getting a friendly gift from the winery that would benefit from not paying a higher minimum wage, what then?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PostNouveau posted:

What the gently caress?

this is 100% a business aimed at giving c-suite executives and their useless kids an appearance of having done a labor before, and i bet the only people they hire are the ones who buy a lot of their wine

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I know you're not supposed to judge people on how they look but Krysten Sinema seems like she'd be really really annoying if she crashed your party

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thalweg posted:

ah but have you tried being a wealthy senator who just kinda mills around the vineyard and clips a few vines before taking pictures for facebook and going back in the house to talk with your friends and donors

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

im taking a moment to appreciate the irony of you starting this post out by mocking me for thinking that voting is the easiest thing in the universe and then seamlessly transitioning into mocking me for not thinking that voting is the easiest thing in the universe

That's because you are dumb or being deliberately obtuse.

The thing you said was hypothetical and impossible is setting up a voting system that doesn't tie people to one precinct, and you're objectively wrong because I've been using such a system for going on a decade.

The thing I said is hard is finding time and transportation to vote if you are poor and/or work odd and long hours, which is why your "pfft if they only let you vote in one place just take a two hour lunch and drive over there" statement was out of touch.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know you're not supposed to judge people on how they look but Krysten Sinema seems like she'd be really really annoying if she crashed your party

I feel like politicos tailor their image more than most people, so it's actually perfectly fine to judge them based on appearances.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

thalweg posted:

fwiw:

i believe this is real work, i just don't believe that a congressperson would have done any version of this job that constituted actual labor

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1410756653063061506?s=20

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

even in my lovely texas county you don't have to vote in your precinct. any polling place in the county, you show up, you can vote there. probably way easier to do this with voting machines rather than paper ballots.
voting machines can be used to print ballots, especially to make ballots easier to count and for accessibility, but the ballots should be hand counted

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Do you want an orange rapist to be president? No? Then vote!

You have the power to choose whether he is orange or not!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
edit: man this post was dumb it's early and i feel like poo poo

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Jul 2, 2021

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Some Guy TT posted:

the precinct is the area in which you live and have registered as a voter we use the precinct system to prevent people from voting more than once while i guess we could hypothetically devise a new system where precincts dont matter and people can just vote in person at whatever place they want that seems like the kind of idea that would create considerably more problems than it solves

also note that the ruling under discussion doesnt actually affect mail in voting except to the extent you have to mail the ballot in yourself or with the assistance of a person you personally know it just prevents ballot harvesting a practice im honestly surprised was ever legal to begin with because it sounds shady as all hell

in my state during early voting you can vote in any early voting site in your county. we have this thing called computers that lets the poll workers verify which ballot to give you based upon your voter registration. it makes it really easy to vote because I can just go to the early voting station near work on my lunch break instead of having to try and vote in the short window before/after work that the voting station is open near my house

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

hey, thanks!

Mirthless posted:

this is 100% a business aimed at giving c-suite executives and their useless kids an appearance of having done a labor before, and i bet the only people they hire are the ones who buy a lot of their wine

I'm not disagreeing, but this also kinda reads like she's bougie enough to be looking to get a sommelier certification or be plugged in with that kind of wine crowd. This wouldn't be at all out of line with that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/KnockDotLA/status/1410694137221836800

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

The thing you said was hypothetical and impossible is setting up a voting system that doesn't tie people to one precinct, and you're objectively wrong because I've been using such a system for going on a decade.

it is in fact literally impossible to set up a voting system like that because local elections exist it is possible to set up a voting system that can grab a ballot from your precinct and give it to you in a different precinct but youre still tied to the one precinct

quote:

The thing I said is hard is finding time and transportation to vote if you are poor and/or work odd and long hours, which is why your "pfft if they only let you vote in one place just take a two hour lunch and drive over there" statement was out of touch.

because your voting precinct is tied to the place where you live it is basically by definition the voting precinct that is closest to you even in the context of the lawsuit that was the actual background of my original comment the main people being disadvantaged by the law are ones whose addresses are listed incorrectly in the system no one is intentionally going to the wrong precinct because of their commute

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the gently caress

just cartoonishly evil

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ideally there'd be a national standard for voting procedures, technologies, absentee ballots, laws mandating paid time off to go vote, routine multiple-party open audits of vote counts, etc.

In practice,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

because your voting precinct is tied to the place where you live it is basically by definition the voting precinct that is closest to you even in the context of the lawsuit that was the actual background of my original comment the main people being disadvantaged by the law are ones whose addresses are listed incorrectly in the system no one is intentionally going to the wrong precinct because of their commute

Because no one works far away from where they live.