Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wait, this can't possibly be canon, can it?

It's from Convergence, which I understand to be the lamest of DC's big 'Crisis' events. That's specifically the Pre-Crisis Earth-One Batman and Gordon.

So it's canon, but it basically doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Thing! #12 (1954)

Impulse #81 (2002)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"The Flying Gravestones they used to call em"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Impulse #81 (2002)

Acrobat is such a dangerous profession in the DC universe what with all the assassins going after them.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

House of Mystery #32 (1954)

Booster Gold #2 (2007)

What's the context for Booster and Sinestro? Did Booster gently caress up the time line so Sinestro stuck with the GL Corps?

(Also, that guy just unloading at point blank range with two handguns is making me giggle. Is House of Mystery worth a read?)

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Elissimpark posted:

What's the context for Booster and Sinestro? Did Booster gently caress up the time line so Sinestro stuck with the GL Corps?

Booster is protecting the timeline after 52 happened, a bunch of villains are taking advantage of time wonkyness to stop people becoming heroes, he's in the past to stop them and keep time on track.

One of these villains had told Sinestro that Guy Gardner was one day going to be his student, and was going to surpass him in every way, prompting Sinestro to go visit him earlier than the regular timeline, which would have lead to Guy's death and the creation of the Sinestro Corps deacades earlier than it should.

Booster decides to talk Sinestro out of interacting with Guy by explaining that he's from the future and that the villains were lying, Sinestro will always be the greatest Green lantern and that everything everyone does in the future is to honor Sinestro.

This works, because Sinestro, and then Booster accidentally plants the seed of the Sinestro Corps because he's a time idiot.

It's a pretty great series, Booster is going heroically to save the entire timeline many, many times, but he is always going to be seen as a clown by others and won't really be remembered in the future because if he was a higher-status hero he'd be too much of a target, which would leave time unprotected, works really well, Geoff Johns keeps his worst habits mostly under control and Dan Jurgens on art (and later writing) a character he created is always fun.

Edit: The Tom King Batman/Booster Gold story is much worse if you've read this run.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 1, 2021

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Oops

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Impulse #81 (2002)

I love the idea of parents leaving their young child at home to go have a day out at the circus.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kalli posted:

I love the idea of parents leaving their young child at home to go have a day out at the circus.

Speaking as a father, that is a nice idea but Wee Impulse is right there to the left of his squished parents.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BooDooBoo posted:

Booster is protecting the timeline after 52 happened, a bunch of villains are taking advantage of time wonkyness to stop people becoming heroes, he's in the past to stop them and keep time on track.

One of these villains had told Sinestro that Guy Gardner was one day going to be his student, and was going to surpass him in every way, prompting Sinestro to go visit him earlier than the regular timeline, which would have lead to Guy's death and the creation of the Sinestro Corps deacades earlier than it should.

Booster decides to talk Sinestro out of interacting with Guy by explaining that he's from the future and that the villains were lying, Sinestro will always be the greatest Green lantern and that everything everyone does in the future is to honor Sinestro.

This works, because Sinestro, and then Booster accidentally plants the seed of the Sinestro Corps because he's a time idiot.

It's a pretty great series, Booster is going heroically to save the entire timeline many, many times, but he is always going to be seen as a clown by others and won't really be remembered in the future because if he was a higher-status hero he'd be too much of a target, which would leave time unprotected, works really well, Geoff Johns keeps his worst habits mostly under control and Dan Jurgens on art (and later writing) a character he created is always fun.

Edit: The Tom King Batman/Booster Gold story is much worse if you've read this run.

I read that Booster Gold series back in the day and it was really good.

Except....
There was this weird plot thread where Booster saved his sister who was killed in his 90s miniseries (Goldstar, I think.)
And she was hanging out with Booster Gold and Rip Hunter.
And how Rip Hunters parents was a super top secret so other time travelers couldn't kill him.

And I swear it looked like Booster and his sister were being setup to be Rip's biological dad.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I read that Booster Gold series back in the day and it was really good.

Except....
There was this weird plot thread where Booster saved his sister who was killed in his 90s miniseries (Goldstar, I think.)
And she was hanging out with Booster Gold and Rip Hunter.
And how Rip Hunters parents was a super top secret so other time travelers couldn't kill him.

And I swear it looked like Booster and his sister were being setup to be Rip's biological dad.

Booster is Rip's father, founding a whole family that protects time, Goldstar was saved by Rip a milisecond before she died (like Booster hi himself in 52), but not to be his mother, she was a "consolation" for Booster, because Ted Kord had to stay dead for time reasons.

For clarity: There was no incest.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Elissimpark posted:

(Also, that guy just unloading at point blank range with two handguns is making me giggle. Is House of Mystery worth a read?)
If you want to see fantastical situations resolved in utterly bullshit ways (e.g., you thought you were seeing ghosts, but actually, we had your new glasses treated with a special chemical, then convinced everyone along the street you happened to walk down, plus the theater you ran into, to act as though they didn't see the floating apples and such, all so we could coerce you into a murder confession!), then yeah. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm looking forward to hitting the part in the run when it picks up Martian Manhunter and Dial H for Hero as back-ups, because the standard stories so far really are dire. House of Secrets is much better about not undermining apparently supernatural stuff with convoluted escapes into mundanity.

Journey into Mystery #36 (1956)

Detective Comics #1 (2001 reprint)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

BooDooBoo posted:

Booster Gold Time Idiottm is my favorite version of Booster.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Amy vs Walter (from Savage Dragon 253)

Later on there's some funny stuff involving him being a fan of cake, but this was in the comixology preview pages. I've got the paper version of this funnybook.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Amy vs Walter (from Savage Dragon 253)

Later on there's some funny stuff involving him being a fan of cake, but this was in the comixology preview pages. I've got the paper version of this funnybook.

I have been playing Elder Scrolls game recently so I can't help but read this as an Argonian child yelling at a Khajiit complete with the appropriate voices.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MH Knights posted:

I have been playing Elder Scrolls game recently so I can't help but read this as an Argonian child yelling at a Khajiit complete with the appropriate voices.

"If you have coin, Khajiit has funny panels."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The more you look at it, the worse better it gets?

From the reboot of Mighty Crusaders, in which the artist/writer quit immediately and not for the reasons you'd imagine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Great Value Avengers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Someone pointed out the carefully sculpted crotch lighting and that's all I can see, now.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Everyone has the same abs and I can't unsee it

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Man, Fox's dialogue is just the laziest cliche comics short hand.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Uthor posted:

Someone pointed out the carefully sculpted crotch lighting and that's all I can see, now.

"How do we make the guys look super jacked?"
"Make their ribcage stick out like a foot in front of them so it casts this weird rear end shadow"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Newspaper comic thread's classic Valiant has been on fire lately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

From the reboot of Mighty Crusaders, in which the artist/writer quit immediately and not for the reasons you'd imagine.

Crotch Squad

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
battle of the bulges

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Something about the way Jaguar's arms looks weird. It's like they are not attached to his shoulders.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Secrets #27 (1959)

Panic #3 (1997)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Saoshyant posted:

I feel like wherever I guess Flygirl's actual eyes are will be horribly incorrect.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

You can really tell the lefties from the righties, if you know what I mean and I think that you do.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Saoshyant posted:

I had an issue of the Comet from way back when I was a kid. The art was actually decent for a late 80s/early 90s comic. What happened here? :psyduck:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, to be clear, the art is not really bad there (apart from the very weird arms up in front, I guess). In fact whoever did that is clearly good at drawing, even if their style is a bit 90s (Jaguar and Lancelot Strong in particular have the big flatiron faces that were popular on pushed character designs from back then). The funny part is just how derivative the character designs are.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

I mean, to be clear, the art is not really bad there (apart from the very weird arms up in front, I guess). In fact whoever did that is clearly good at drawing, even if their style is a bit 90s (Jaguar and Lancelot Strong in particular have the big flatiron faces that were popular on pushed character designs from back then). The funny part is just how derivative the character designs are.

Well yeah, that's Rob Liefeld.

(Right? I feel like I'm missing a joke here.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Saoshyant posted:

Comets aren't known for being powerhouses.. they're snowballs left over from the beginning of the solar system and the only reason they sometimes look big and scary sometimes is because they're literally melting in the sun..

This is basically what you get when it's 1960 and you're Archie Comics and you see Avengers and JLA sales hitting all time highs and want to cash in..

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Well yeah, that's Rob Liefeld.

(Right? I feel like I'm missing a joke here.)

I guessed but honestly had no idea. Dude has gotten a lot better since his heyday!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Impact Comics versions of the Archie heroes are likely what most people born in the early 80s are familiar with. DC had house ads for that universe in their entire line of publishing for 6 months.

Hell Rob clearly based his Black Hood on the Impact version.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

I feel like wherever I guess Flygirl's actual eyes are will be horribly incorrect.

I mean, with that head shape who knows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Also, because I just realized that since those are Archie comics, it's not coincidence: That Black Hood inspired a villain in Riverdale. In Riverdale he's a serial killer, because about half the cast of Riverdale is.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Vinland Saga

The story is set in the early 1000s. Thorfinn is the leader of a group of Norsemen who is trying to set up a colony in North America, and they're trying to make contact with the natives to ask for their permission to settle on their land.

In the latest chapter, the natives (who are Mi'kmaq) stride out of the woods to meet the colonists, and someone shouts "It's an attack!"

Everyone grabs whatever weapon they can get their hands on (no swords, though, the colony has a strict "no weapons of war" rule) and rush towards where Thorfinn is greeting the natives only to find out that... It's, fine, actually.

(Right-to-left.)