Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've bought a bunch of games this sale and spent most of my time playing State of Decay 2 on Lethal and restarting every 3 hours because everyone died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
About those NIS games, those are actually the games' original prices. They all got a price reduction a year ago but NIS must have seen mediocre results with the change so they are reverting it. I was writing an effort post with mini reviews for some of those games but I got sleepy so I'll finish tomorrow.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

300% increase in price for Phantom Brave. Oof.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Lone Badger posted:

Will the starting character still be dumpstered by a malnourished mouse?

Of course. The only Gothic that didn't do that was Gothic 3.

…now I want to play Risen 3 again. It's a nice game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

John Murdoch posted:

^^^SYNTHETIK?

In 2 your quest is to hang out with Lucatiel as much as possible and at the end you get her awesome looking armor set. Once again, Dark Souls 2 reigns supreme.

Seriously though the relative value of quests is all over the place across the trilogy. Helping Siegmeyer out in 1 is basically a shaggy dog story that accomplishes nothing. Helping out his counterpart in 3 is comparatively way more fun and ends with you getting his gear set.

I don't agree with this at all!

In dark souls 1 people go hollow when they lose their sense of purpose. This is in contrast to dark souls 2, where 'the curse' is handled more like dementia, an unstoppable disease that people want to cure.

In dark souls 1 siegmeyer and solaire are doing the same thing as the chosen undead: following the path layed out by the serpents to get to Gwyn. Solaire finds purpose in being a hero, but he's kinda bad at it. Solaire is on a quest to find his 'sun', by helping people by jolly co-operation and eventually lighting the first flame himself to help everyone (or so he thinks...).

Anyway, each time you meet siegmeyer he's at a roadblock you will eventually clear, but he can't by himself. He doesn't know how to open the gates to Sen, but hey, they suddenly open! He's stuck later on but takes a nap and hey, the path is clear! He's stymied by the silver knights, but then you come along and help him out. Hmmm, some stranger needed to help the big hero, that doesn't feel good, but whatever, on to ornstein and smough.

He grabs the lordvessel and begins his trek back to firelink. But he's still thinking about sen's fortress suddenly opening. Maybe his friend did it? He did?? Oh drat he's not the big hero! He just followed one! How to prove his worth for real... Let's go kill the bed of chaos, that'll do.

But oh poo poo, he's stuck in the swamp without moss to counteract poison. Luckily his friend comes along to help his rear end out. One minor roadbump to greatness i suppose.

He finally reaches lost izalith and finds a place to prove his worth. Jump head first into a pile of chaos eaters and kill em!

Now, if you take away his glory by killing the chaos eaters along with him but you're better at it he'll accept that he sucks and he goes hollow... in the great hollow. His daughter puts him out of his misery.

If he attacks the chaos eaters solo he dies, or is fatally wounded, and dies there, as a warrior trying to prove his worth.

Contrast this with siegbro from dark souls 3: he just shows up and kicks rear end with you, you help him out but there's no real story or motivation. Eventually you find out he promised yhorm he'll kill him. Weak rear end storyline, imo. No pathos, no motivation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cavauro posted:

does anyone who is cool on here highly recommend tainted grail or urtuk? If you think you are cool then you most likely are

Urtuk is cool, there's a fair amount of tactical variety in the units you get and how you build them with mutations, plus the types of encounters you have in the game. I strongly recommend not playing it on Iron Man because a full run is very long, which is also my one caveat with the game itself, as despite the aforementioned variety it can get repetitive because every map is huge. That said, you should never feel obligated to clean up maps before moving on to the next, because enemies scale with time.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Rebel Blob posted:

I didn't realize I needed to specify "full-flight jetpack," something I thought obvious from the footage itself.

Apart from a few mech games where that was the absolute focus, I'm not sure I've played a game with good jetpack combat. It seems batshit insane to me that Piranha Bytes of all people think they'll pull it off.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fatty posted:

Apart from a few mech games where that was the absolute focus, I'm not sure I've played a game with good jetpack combat. It seems batshit insane to me that Piranha Bytes of all people think they'll pull it off.

Man, Dark Void could have been good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Omi no Kami posted:

So there's a hilarious bit of sequence-breaking you can do there (spoilered just in case, though you're already there):

That's awesome. It was actually one of my favorite boss fights so far. They nailed the animations on her, I think.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, I dunno. +6 is the best you can have at that point in the game, so it's not the weapon level at least. It's plausible you've shown up a bit underleveled but it can't be by that much, the level pacing is pretty slow in 3. What level are you at? From the sound of it, you did miss one totally optional area which might help you fill out your build a little before going into the second half of the game. Hint: Go backwards from Wolnir's arena and experiment with the bridge.

No armor upgrades in 3. (Somebody probably already asked/explained this, but I might as well double-check - you are wearing something in every armor slot, yeah?)

Edit: Oh right, I guess that's also a possibility. What's your estus looking like?

I tend to agree that I'm probably not underleveled if only because the game's been so linear that there's not much chance to miss things. I'll check out that optional area you mentioned though because yeah I went around the bridge.

I'm level 66 or 67 or thereabouts. I'm a pretty cautious player so I tend to warp back to the shrine if I'm carrying a lot of souls and am reasonably close to a level-up. I prefer re-doing a section without that weight so I don't feel like I've wasted potential levels. Only thing is I'm still carrying almost all of my boss souls... I might want them for weapons later even if nothing's piqued my interest at the moment, and also getting burned by the giant souls in DS2 is still fresh in my mind. :) I imagine there are some levels in there if I want them. Most of my points have gone into STR or DEX for the halberd damage, with the rest in health/stamina/vitality.

Ten Estus flasks at +6. Armor's good, I'm using fairly chunky stuff but keeping it under 70% load because the slow dodges are too painful. I'm going to switch it around for Oceiros though cause I need to be able to dodge that frost trail properly but I still want to be able to use a Greatshield in this one. I've also basically decided to never take off the ring that gives you extra i-frames. I need it.

Maybe I'm just looking for excuses because I'm not great at these games... but yeah, it just feels like I'm not doing enough damage even with my Refined Halberd +8 doing ~400 or a Large Club +6 doing similar. Maybe DS3 bosses are just that tanky? I don't know that Oceiros needs that much HP, to be honest. So far it feels like on average DS3 has tougher bosses than the other two games. In DS1 Ornstein & Smough were clearly the biggest roadblock, while in DS2 I don't think any non-DLC boss took me more than five tries at the most (with the caveat that I did not fight the dragon or Darklurker).

DS3 has had a few pushovers so far but most of the fights have been closer to the tougher end of the scale for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has there been much like Void Bastards the last few years? I can think of Gunfire Reborn and RoboQuest, but those aren't quite it

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Anyone has played Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries? I loved the previous games but I'm reading mixed reviews and I'm not sure if the game has legitimate issues or is people just having gratuitous meltdowns.

Omi no Kami posted:

How buggy is Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2? I enjoyed the first one and heard the second was basically just that, but more and better, but it looks like some of the recent reviews are complaining about constant crashes?

It should be stable most of the time, I had some crashes now and then but nothing too bad (I have around 125hrs clocked in), however I've not played in some time so I can't tell if a recent patch broke things or not.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 2, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fatty posted:

Have you heard about the amazing game Anthem?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sway Grunt posted:

Maybe I'm just looking for excuses because I'm not great at these games... but yeah, it just feels like I'm not doing enough damage even with my Refined Halberd +8 doing ~400 or a Large Club +6 doing similar. Maybe DS3 bosses are just that tanky? I don't know that Oceiros needs that much HP, to be honest. So far it feels like on average DS3 has tougher bosses than the other two games. In DS1 Ornstein & Smough were clearly the biggest roadblock, while in DS2 I don't think any non-DLC boss took me more than five tries at the most (with the caveat that I did not fight the dragon or Darklurker).

DS3 has had a few pushovers so far but most of the fights have been closer to the tougher end of the scale for me.

Where are you taking damage with Oceiros? If you have a decent greatshield it should be able to mitigate an awful lot of his threat... the specific way you're having trouble can point to some strategies. If you're getting hit because he blows through your guard, that's a stamina management issue you can deal with by figuring out how much stamina it takes to block his crap, and always staying above that. If you're taking damage from one of the few things that can screw with you through the greatshield, I think most of them have specific tells you can look for.

If all else fails, I'd suggest doing one round with him where you don't attack at all- just seek to stay alive as long as you can, blocking when you need to block and dodging when you need to dodge. If something specific is jamming you up, it'll be way easier to notice when you're not juggling offense along with defense.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have any left-over cards for Betrayer? I wanna complete the badge but the game got pulled for some reason, and you can't buy or sell the cards on the marketplace

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
It took 9 hours and Obra Dinn is complete with all 60 fates solved. What an experience.

I did feel a little let down by The Bargain. It didn't feel like it held enough surprise impact, the way it was kept hidden. It was more of a "oh... okay, so I guess that's what happened. Sure." Not a revelation like I was expecting. Then I got to thinking, maybe that was the point? A subversion of my expectations? As I played the game, and I saw the Escape and the Doom, I was absolutely convinced the "bargain" was something the Captain had to do with the mermaids to get the kraken to leave. I thought maybe he sacrificed his steward and his third mate (which is why we didn't know what happened to them), and that's what drove the kraken off. Nope, he just loving murdered the poo poo out of two of the mermaids until the kraken went away. So the REAL bargain must have been the third mate's bargain, where he had the two guys free the final mermaid and asked in return that the ship return safely to England. Welp, that didn't work out too well, but I guess that mermaid kept it's promise.

9.5/10 game, would Men in Black memory wipe myself to play it again.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lucas Archer posted:

I guess that mermaid kept it's promise.

Did you notice a certain... gleam in the distance out at sea while investigating the ship?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lucas Archer posted:

It took 9 hours and Obra Dinn is complete with all 60 fates solved. What an experience.

I did feel a little let down by The Bargain. It didn't feel like it held enough surprise impact, the way it was kept hidden. It was more of a "oh... okay, so I guess that's what happened. Sure." Not a revelation like I was expecting. Then I got to thinking, maybe that was the point? A subversion of my expectations? As I played the game, and I saw the Escape and the Doom, I was absolutely convinced the "bargain" was something the Captain had to do with the mermaids to get the kraken to leave. I thought maybe he sacrificed his steward and his third mate (which is why we didn't know what happened to them), and that's what drove the kraken off. Nope, he just loving murdered the poo poo out of two of the mermaids until the kraken went away. So the REAL bargain must have been the third mate's bargain, where he had the two guys free the final mermaid and asked in return that the ship return safely to England. Welp, that didn't work out too well, but I guess that mermaid kept it's promise.

9.5/10 game, would Men in Black memory wipe myself to play it again.

I played it in the month when it came out and I think my memory is finally beginning to go enough that I can play it again in a year. God, I hope so, it was so satisfying figure out who everyone was.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Omi no Kami posted:

How buggy is Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2? I enjoyed the first one and heard the second was basically just that, but more and better, but it looks like some of the recent reviews are complaining about constant crashes?

I didn't see any crashes on my most recent playthrough but something happened to that game's strategic UI that made it chug really, really badly for me out of nowhere. Game ran fine on launch, and battles were still okay, just the strategic map was bad.

That said, if you enjoyed the first one there is no reason not to get 2, since it really is better in just about every way (less ship specific customization though, since you run several fleets in 2)

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Did you notice a certain... gleam in the distance out at sea while investigating the ship?

We did notice that! On our very first run-through of the story, we saw it glimmering out there and figured it was maybe one of the shells that had been tossed overboard, but your implication makes so much more sense so that wraps up that little question. Thanks!

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I decided to give LaMaluna 1 another try before playing the sequel that I picked up in the sale. Apparently my last attempt was in 2013, where I gave up after 15 hours. I only remember that I just couldn't figure out how to proceed and even trying to consult the wiki didn't help because the game is so open-ended. Hopefully age has taught me wisdom and patience. I'm going full archeologist this time around, taking screenshots of all the hints and organizing them by area, checking them off as I solve the riddles. This part is cool. The bosses, however, suuuuuuuuck. I'm at the 4th big one and fought a smattering of mini-bosses, and it was all frustrating trash. Just making the weak points bigger than a pixel would've gone a long way. Blah.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
So far in Dark Souls 3 if theres something I cant do I just switch to Vordts hammer and stunlock it. Job done-.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Omi no Kami posted:

Where are you taking damage with Oceiros?

I'm actually not really having much trouble with him (yet?). I've only given it a couple of tries so far and like you say, a Greatshield nulls most of his attacks completely. When I play tonight I'm going to change my armor so I can dodge quicker and out of the way of his frost breath attack cause that's unblockable and the slow rolling doesn't cut it. But overall I don't expect to have that much trouble with this one, I was more using him as an example for a tanky boss because even the ones that are relatively easy in terms of their attack patterns seem to take so long to put away that I eventually die through attrition. So I assumed I'm lacking damage, but my weapons are upgraded about as much as they can be at this stage of the game, and I've put most of my levels into damage, so... :shrug:

Then the other one I've got on my plate is Dragonslayer Armour, and that's another that feels relatively easy and I'm irritated with myself that I haven't beaten it yet. Frankly rolling off the bridge accidentally is as big a danger as the boss itself in this case, but even still he sometimes one-shots me, which is why I asked about upgrading armor. Cause I'm already using some of the heaviest armor I've found so far. The extra i-frames from that ring help a lot in this one.

This one and Aldrich are both fights that have felt easy to me and yet I've found myself dying to them too often and, notably, too soon into the fight, which is why I wondered if there's maybe something wrong with my build - just that nagging feeling that I really should not be having this much trouble with them.

I suppose it could also be a psychological thing, or too much Dark Souls over the past few months. Maybe I'm just out of form. :v:

Buller posted:

So far in Dark Souls 3 if theres something I cant do I just switch to Vordts hammer and stunlock it. Job done-.

I will keep this in mind.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Go pick up wrestle empire. It's the best wrestling game on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620340/Wrestling_Empire/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Trickyblackjack posted:

I decided to give LaMaluna 1 another try before playing the sequel that I picked up in the sale. Apparently my last attempt was in 2013, where I gave up after 15 hours. I only remember that I just couldn't figure out how to proceed and even trying to consult the wiki didn't help because the game is so open-ended. Hopefully age has taught me wisdom and patience. I'm going full archeologist this time around, taking screenshots of all the hints and organizing them by area, checking them off as I solve the riddles. This part is cool. The bosses, however, suuuuuuuuck. I'm at the 4th big one and fought a smattering of mini-bosses, and it was all frustrating trash. Just making the weak points bigger than a pixel would've gone a long way. Blah.

I still haven't completed La Mulana 1 but I did finish La Mulana 2. From what I remember, they toned down the bullshit a little bit for that one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone have any left-over cards for Betrayer? I wanna complete the badge but the game got pulled for some reason, and you can't buy or sell the cards on the marketplace

Been a whole since I cared about the cards but I have 1 Maiden in Red and 2 spoopy green skeletons.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Shard posted:

Go pick up wrestle empire. It's the best wrestling game on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620340/Wrestling_Empire/

Is this the latest one? The one that came out on Switch recently? Looking at the official MDickie website and I...cannot...tell...

I also know he's got older games/versions so I just want to make sure I got the latest one!

EDIT: Looked at the trailer again on my monitor this time and it's definitely the latest one YES I AM INNNN

Artelier fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 2, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ymgve posted:

I still haven't completed La Mulana 1 but I did finish La Mulana 2. From what I remember, they toned down the bullshit a little bit for that one.

If you want real bullshit, play the original La-Mulana 1. You know, the one that was made to look like an MSX game where the puzzles are even more opaque and the controls are stiffer.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to Tower of Oannes. Should be out any day now, right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Been a whole since I cared about the cards but I have 1 Maiden in Red and 2 spoopy green skeletons.

you don't have PMs so what's your steam handle?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Im_Special posted:

300% increase in price for Phantom Brave. Oof.

I'd bet one reason they're doing this is so they can give the games bigger discount percentages in sales but not actually lowering the price, just to entice people with a big discount percent.

Also I really enjoyed Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. The story was kinda blah at first but gets interesting and the combat is super fun once you adjust to it, I really enjoyed it. Good music too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My Steam game will have a base price of $4,999.99, but always be on sale for a whopping 99% off

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Has there been much like Void Bastards the last few years? I can think of Gunfire Reborn and RoboQuest, but those aren't quite it

Other than FPS roguelites in general, such as immortal redneck and ziggurat, I’m not aware of any

I think GUNHEAD has the potential to hit a few of the same notes if the route planning ends up being similar to cryptark, although it will probably be much less about resource management than void bastards

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fatty posted:

Apart from a few mech games where that was the absolute focus, I'm not sure I've played a game with good jetpack combat.
Control :twisted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fatty posted:

Apart from a few mech games where that was the absolute focus, I'm not sure I've played a game with good jetpack combat.

Warhammer: Space Marine

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Major Isoor posted:

oooh, this actually looks real good - I kinda wish you hadn't shown it to me, now! :D Just like the OP I think I'll wait a bit, (mostly because I've got other stuff to play, rather than solely due to it being EA) but I reckon I'll have to take the plunge on it sooner or later, for sure. Looks like my kinda game

It has a lot of potential, but who knows when it'll be out of EA. Have you tried Rimworld?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

you don't have PMs so what's your steam handle?

https://steamcommunity.com/id/kibayasu/

As long as you don't ask me to vote for your team at some point.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I ended up picking up Nioh 2 and so far I really really like it, despite how incredibly difficult it was at first (and still is at times). The game is quite deep with a ton of different systems, weapons, skill choices, etc and even though I'm enjoying my current character I'm already considering some new builds to try out in later playthroughs (or when I get bored of my current build). Exploration is fun and so far the save points have generally been user friendly enough that even when I inevitably die a dozen times in a row on a boss it's not a horrible slog just to get back try again. There is also a ton of mechanical depth with different dodges, parries, consumables, counters, and combos. Each weapon has three different weapon stances which have whole different move sets and can be comboed into from one another which adds to the combinations and possibiliites.

Also there is a weapon called a switchglaive which is basically just a souped up Bloodborne weapon that is really fun so far. I'm not incredibly far into it (I've done maybe 3 main missions and like 4 sub missions), but I'm happy with my purchase so far.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 2, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hell ya nioh owns. I'll tell you this though, don't bother making new characters to try new builds. Just use the various respec items, it'll save you a lot of time and you'll want to be pushing into the NG+ difficulties anyways.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm actually not really having much trouble with him (yet?). I've only given it a couple of tries so far and like you say, a Greatshield nulls most of his attacks completely. When I play tonight I'm going to change my armor so I can dodge quicker and out of the way of his frost breath attack cause that's unblockable and the slow rolling doesn't cut it. But overall I don't expect to have that much trouble with this one, I was more using him as an example for a tanky boss because even the ones that are relatively easy in terms of their attack patterns seem to take so long to put away that I eventually die through attrition. So I assumed I'm lacking damage, but my weapons are upgraded about as much as they can be at this stage of the game, and I've put most of my levels into damage, so... :shrug:

Then the other one I've got on my plate is Dragonslayer Armour, and that's another that feels relatively easy and I'm irritated with myself that I haven't beaten it yet. Frankly rolling off the bridge accidentally is as big a danger as the boss itself in this case, but even still he sometimes one-shots me, which is why I asked about upgrading armor. Cause I'm already using some of the heaviest armor I've found so far. The extra i-frames from that ring help a lot in this one.

This one and Aldrich are both fights that have felt easy to me and yet I've found myself dying to them too often and, notably, too soon into the fight, which is why I wondered if there's maybe something wrong with my build - just that nagging feeling that I really should not be having this much trouble with them.

I suppose it could also be a psychological thing, or too much Dark Souls over the past few months. Maybe I'm just out of form. :v:

I will keep this in mind.

dark souls 3 is way harder than the first two. i haven't played it with a shield but given that bosses frequently attack in rapid succession and then give you a brief window to smack them, i get the feeling that they designed the game with dodge rolls in mind rather than blocking. i played it with a fat two hander (vordt's and a murakamo) and lots of VIT, that seemed very strong once i got the dodge patterns down because the weapon just melted most of the bosses and i had enough VIT to take a few hits without dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Hwurmp posted:

Warhammer: Space Marine

Watch the Elex 2 video guys, I'm talking full on flying through the sky, hitting other flying enemies with swords combat. Obviously its an early video, so it looks like poo poo anyway, but it seems overly ambitious for Piranha Bytes.