Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's that guy in romeo and juliet, whatshisface, benvolio, because shakespeare is as subtle as a brick so he's literally called "good guy"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Platystemon posted:

Shakespeare has honorable characters. They’re the fanservice ones that exist in the histories that no one likes and were written to ingratiate himself with the reigning monarchs. :v:

Broke: Hotspur
Woke: Falstaff :whatup:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

There's that guy in romeo and juliet, whatshisface, benvolio, because shakespeare is as subtle as a brick so he's literally called "good guy"

Benvolio is named as such in the Italian play Shakespeare cribbed his from, but your point still stands.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Shakespeare did write the best dishonorable character ever. Not the Moor from Titus Andronicus drat you

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

By popular demand posted:

Shakespeare did write the best dishonorable character ever. Not the Moor from Titus Andronicus drat you

Surely you don't mean Honest Iago?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Inzombiac posted:

Speaking of people who make poo poo up, what happened to 50 Foot Ant?

His "medical horror" story was an all-time even though he oversold it.

Probably finally vanished up his own arse.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You make one impulsive business proposal for a horse...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I really do recommend Henry IV, especially part 1. There's a scene where Hotspur and others keep trying to outdo each other in literally throwing gauntlets down in righteous anger. The characters all buy it as straight, but to the audience it plays out like a fucken Looney Tunes skit.

Later, after the climactic battle, Hotspur is dead and Falstaff climbs out if the mountain of corpses he had been hiding under the whole time. He looks down at Hotspur's mangled body and soliloquizes basically, "The honorable guy's dead and the coward lives. How now, bitch?"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dillbag posted:

I worked with Arthur Burghardt, the voice of G.I. Joe's Destro and Transformer's Devastator, back in the early 2000's and he told me Chris Collins/Latta was an amazing talent but also a supremely hosed up addict and and awful, miserable human being.

Wiki posted:

Comedian Marc Maron described Collins in a 2021 podcast as "just like this monster, like he was a...drugs and booze and weird and just...creepy."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

Later, after the climactic battle, Hotspur is dead and Falstaff climbs out if the mountain of corpses he had been hiding under the whole time. He looks down at Hotspur's mangled body and soliloquizes basically, "The honorable guy's dead and the coward lives. How now, bitch?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbFf8jBCxA

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought that the lesson of Titus Andronicus is that being honorable and stuffy kind of makes you oblivious

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have it on good authority that Brutus is an honorable man

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The lessons of Titus Andronicus are:
Violence:gibs::dehumanize::unsmigghh::commissar::kheldragar:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The lessons of Titus Andronicus are:
Violence:gibs::dehumanize::unsmigghh::commissar::kheldragar:

And also Aaron owns bones and Lucius is the only person with any common sense and wants the whole system torn down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You can usually find the Anthony Hopkins version on YouTube and it's definitely worth watching.
Other than the acting and writing the visual design is very good.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Comic-book adaptations aside, Julie Taymor is a very talented and skilled director.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You can usually find the Anthony Hopkins version on YouTube and it's definitely worth watching.
Other than the acting and writing the visual design is very good.

Seconded. I have no interest in Shakespeare, but watched it on a whim and really enjoyed it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

gleebster posted:

Comic-book adaptations aside, Julie Taymor is a very talented and skilled director.

When did she adapt a comic?

Titus is a loving gorgeous movie, and Harry Lennox kills it as Aaron.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Titus is indeed a masterpiece. Jessica Lange and Harry Lennox and Hopkins and Alan Cumming turn in God-tier performances.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

AFewBricksShy posted:

She did that spider-man Broadway show.

I liked Frida and Titus but Across the Universe was boomer garbage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i thought The King was v good but i guess its not accurate to neither shakespeare nor history

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Shakespeare is more " I will die for puns" more than anything.

Dude* loved those puns!

or Dudette. There is controversy over who actually wrote a bunch of the plays.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For those who haven't seen it yet, this should be pretty eye-opening about Shakespeare's plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jul 2, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Shakespeare is more " I will die for puns" more than anything.

Dude* loved those puns!

or Dudette. There is controversy over who actually wrote a bunch of the plays.

Yeah none of those plays were written by Shakespeare, it was someone else with the same name.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Shakespeare is more " I, Will, die for puns"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think it's possible the maker of this has never read Shakespeare, or even a summary of his works.

e: Or any French literature.

To be fair, Russian literature is the only one of the four that's actually worth reading

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Russian literature is for the saddest of sacks

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AFewBricksShy posted:

Already answered but
https://youtu.be/5RgR0-EWuNY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

Somewhat related: the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale is happening now and Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror releases on Tuesday.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dostoevsky is wallowing in misery and mental anguish in his grave so hard right now.

Does this mean he agrees or disagrees with what you said?

Yes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Russia philosophical differences account for a large percentage of drunken murders.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Russia philosophical differences account for a large percentage of drunken murders.

poo poo, that's how they got rid of the Tzars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Somewhat related: the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale is happening now and Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror releases on Tuesday.

Russian movies own though it's real weird :shrug:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"We wanted it as good as possible, but it turned out as always"* seems to sum up the Russian experience perfectly

*said of the economic reforms post the collapse of the USSR by the Russian prime minister at the time

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Reminds me of a tweet I once read:

French lit: "Is there a meaning to love?"
English lit: "Is there a meaning to ambition?"
American lit: "Is there a meaning to work?"
Russian lit: "Is there a meaning to suffering?"
German lit: "No."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bike tory posted:

"We wanted it as good as possible, but it turned out as always"* seems to sum up the Russian experience perfectly

*said of the economic reforms post the collapse of the USSR by the Russian prime minister at the time

"There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is."

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Jul 3, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

“On average, we live pretty well: worse than last year, but definitely better than next year“

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drat, see, they know comedy