Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Congratulations. Now be sure to keep checking your credit report to make sure that WF isn't opening 50 other accounts in your name to meet quotas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have a friend who uses Wells Fargo and sent info about the 2% card. They replied that WF made them enroll in text messages, which takes 24 hours to activate, after which time they will be allowed to swap cards.
Is this bank's acronym WF or WTF?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Woah, got a targeted offer for the 150k Amex Platinum, but now they're saying they need to review my application. :ohdear:

Approved! Now to figure out how to spend these 150k MR points!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Residency Evil posted:

Approved! Now to figure out how to spend these 150k MR points!

That’s enough for a first class round trip redemption on ANA when you transfer to Virgin Atlantic, and almost enough for two business class round trips from the West coast if you want to visit Japan!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

im on the net me boys posted:

That’s enough for a first class round trip redemption on ANA when you transfer to Virgin Atlantic, and almost enough for two business class round trips from the West coast if you want to visit Japan!

Sure Japan sounds great, but what's the availability on those two business tickets like?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What’s your credit score right now? If it’s not enough for Citi you might need more of a starter card.

really good, actually. Ive never had a credit card though.

So just a lovely starter for a few months?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
lmao I was considering keeping the Platinum for one more year because the $240/year streaming credit is more than enough to offset the increase in annual fee (definitely dumping it when they start limiting the Centurion lounge to no guests though)

turns out the streaming credit is only valid on Peacock, SiriusXM, Audible, and NYTimes

way to keep it lovely, Amex!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For west coast to Japan, is this on ANA or must you do MR>virgin Atlantic and then use their points to book ANA?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Residency Evil posted:

Sure Japan sounds great, but what's the availability on those two business tickets like?

It’s been a while since I’ve searched, but I remember the availability being pretty okay.

FizFashizzle posted:

really good, actually. Ive never had a credit card though.

So just a lovely starter for a few months?

I would suggest you check the Discover website to see if you’re prequalified and apply from one of their cards. After having a card with them for a little while you can expect to get other cards more easily.

Cacafuego posted:

For west coast to Japan, is this on ANA or must you do MR>virgin Atlantic and then use their points to book ANA?

You do MR to Virgin and then use the points to book ANA, yes. The Virgin site also has a points schedule showing how much flights of different classes cost from different origin points. You still check availability through the ANA site.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

You do MR to Virgin and then use the points to book ANA, yes. The Virgin site also has a points schedule showing how much flights of different classes cost from different origin points. You still check availability through the ANA site.

Thanks! How long till this is no longer available and devalued to hell?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks! How long till this is no longer available and devalued to hell?

It’s been around for two years or so I think (don’t quote me on this) so there’s no telling. Better to book sooner than later!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got approved for Amex Platinum 13 days ago with the 75000 point introductory offer. Should I call and complain and ask for the 100000 point offer? It kind of pisses me off especially because I don't plan on renewing after a year.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I got approved for Amex Platinum 13 days ago with the 75000 point introductory offer. Should I call and complain and ask for the 100000 point offer? It kind of pisses me off especially because I don't plan on renewing after a year.

Amex will never, ever give you a bigger sign up bonus retroactively. You can call them, but it won’t do any good. They’re extremely inflexible about that.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I haven’t been able to corroborate this yet, but I’ve seen a post on another forum that you will no longer be eligible for sign up bonuses on the variant Amex plats like the CS if you already have the vanilla plat. Previously you were able to get multiple plats and each of their bonuses. Amex is trying real hard to make plat fans mad

astral
Apr 26, 2004

5% back on groceries during the first year (up to $12k spent) offer is back for the Chase Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited, coinciding with the 5% back on groceries quarter (up to 1,500 spent) on the Flex to give you 9% back on your first $1500 of groceries this quarter.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Reminder for anyone who hasn’t to activate their new bonus category for Discover! This month is restaurants and PayPal

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Secondary reminder that the PayPal Key exists and hopefully isn't blocked too many more places than last year.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Reminder for anyone who hasn’t to activate their new bonus category for Discover! This month is restaurants and PayPal

Thanks! I tend to miss out on the discover bonus because the activate email comes out a month before and I never think of it until the next one.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

astral posted:

Secondary reminder that the PayPal Key exists and hopefully isn't blocked too many more places than last year.

:tipshat:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Signed up for the 100k AmEx platinum offer, it helps I already have a green and they prorate the fee and refund your prorated other card fee. Now I have to make sure I hit boht the Chase and AmEx 100k in the next few months.

(Perhaps I'm weird but I read the NYTimes and like Peacock, so the $20/mo. is a real $240/year benefit to me, at least for the next 6 months)

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a way to make sure that I'm signed up for the 150k Amex Platinum offer? I got the card and it's now activated, but there's nowhere on the website to indicate that I'm signed up for the bonus offer, although I think the last time I did an Amex bonus there wasn't either.

Upgrade posted:

Signed up for the 100k AmEx platinum offer, it helps I already have a green and they prorate the fee and refund your prorated other card fee. Now I have to make sure I hit boht the Chase and AmEx 100k in the next few months.

(Perhaps I'm weird but I read the NYTimes and like Peacock, so the $20/mo. is a real $240/year benefit to me, at least for the next 6 months)

We subscribe to the Sunday NYT, so the benefit is kind of nice for us as well. It's kind of annoying to keep track of all of these things however.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a way to make sure that I'm signed up for the 150k Amex Platinum offer? I got the card and it's now activated, but there's nowhere on the website to indicate that I'm signed up for the bonus offer, although I think the last time I did an Amex bonus there wasn't either.

We subscribe to the Sunday NYT, so the benefit is kind of nice for us as well. It's kind of annoying to keep track of all of these things however.

Usually they won’t display the bonus info after you accept, but most of the time you can go to the desktop site and it will show you your spend goal and reward progress. I say most of the time because there are some days it just doesn’t show up.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I couldn't get matched for the 125/150 so that's even better - but I'll take 100, hit it, then downgrade the card :D

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Upgrade posted:

I couldn't get matched for the 125/150 so that's even better - but I'll take 100, hit it, then downgrade the card :D

Just be sure not to downgrade until after your second year starts. If you do it before you new AF is generated, they will claw back your points. When you do downgrade, they’ll prorate back the fee.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Just be sure not to downgrade until after your second year starts. If you do it before you new AF is generated, they will claw back your points. When you do downgrade, they’ll prorate back the fee.

Ah good to know.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

What would be the best card to downgrade to?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Water Resistant posted:

It really depends on your spending, but for most people the gold card is going to make more sense than the green. Green is really only going to be better for people who are using mass transit a lot, like New Yorkers.
If you don’t want to pay an annual fee at all, you can open an Everyday to keep your MR and then close the charge card.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Water Resistant posted:

I typically have a Gold, I downgraded to the Green at the start of the pandemic, but will probably drop back down to the Gold. I'm also going to cancel my Bonvoy Amex after this year due to a job change which means I won't be staying at Marriots for work.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Do I need to worry about the income confirmation that credit lines will ask for on occasion on their website? Citi wants me to update my income, but I was laid off recently so I'd rather not update it with $0. I have enough cash to keep going for a long time, but I'd rather not get hit with an unnecessary credit decrease or account closure. What is everyone's experience with that?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

literally this big posted:

Do I need to worry about the income confirmation that credit lines will ask for on occasion on their website? Citi wants me to update my income, but I was laid off recently so I'd rather not update it with $0. I have enough cash to keep going for a long time, but I'd rather not get hit with an unnecessary credit decrease or account closure. What is everyone's experience with that?

No, they have no way to verify and you don't even have to update it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

They gave me a few pop-ups for that like a few weeks after I was laid off. I just declined to update it every time.

And now, 8 months later, I requested a credit increase and it was granted, so that's nice.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I haven’t updated my income with Discover in like 7 years and they kept bumping up my credit limit anyway without me asking them to, and eventually they just stopped asking.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Sweet, I shall continue to ignore it then. Out of curiosity, how likely is it that my account would be effected from no income?

On a related note, how possible is it to get a new card while out of work? I figure zero income would be a dealbreaker, but I do have a great credit score & history.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone else notice the chase sapphire preferred 100k for 4k spend in three months? I'm just trying to figure out how long the offer is going to be around. I got CSR when it first came out and had the ridiculous bonus, and that was in late 2016, so I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for this one because it's been more than 48 months.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm pretty content with a 2% cash back card, but 100K points on the Sapphire for spending $4,000 in three months is pretty drat tempting. At worst, that's getting a $1,155* rebate on some big spending. I understand the spending offer can include gift cards, so even if my usual expenses don't reach $4,000 I can buy a fat gift card for groceries that will get used later this year anyway. At best, I can convert those points into some fairly lucrative flight and hotel deals.

*$1,250 minus the $95 annual fee

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Space Fish posted:

I'm pretty content with a 2% cash back card, but 100K points on the Sapphire for spending $4,000 in three months is pretty drat tempting. At worst, that's getting a $1,155* rebate on some big spending. I understand the spending offer can include gift cards, so even if my usual expenses don't reach $4,000 I can buy a fat gift card for groceries that will get used later this year anyway. At best, I can convert those points into some fairly lucrative flight and hotel deals.

*$1,250 minus the $95 annual fee

since I'm not doing any traveling I'm just going to convert it back to cash. I did see the 1250 thing with the pay yourself back tool though I assume that's restricted to certain types of purchases

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 7, 2021

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Got notice today that CSR fee is going up to $550.

The $300 travel credit is a bit better, which I guess now includes gas stations and groceries, but whatever since that $300 was stupidly easy to claw back anyways. There's now 3x dining/travel and increased multipliers when booking through the portal, but we don't really travel much any more with a toddler and Amex Gold gives us 4x on restaurants already.

What could I product change to that doesn't get sock drawered? Chase Amazon maybe?

I use Amex Gold primarily, CSR until I run out of travel credit, and I think the only use the Uber Visa gets is for the phone warranty coverage.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Freedom Flex for the rotating 5% categories + cell phone insurance? I don't believe they allow you to product change from/to co-branded cards, as a general rule.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My score was back over 700 as of yesterday so I went ahead and applied for a CSP and got it. I was on the fence between it or an Amex Gold, but between the 100k points and this post on /r/CreditCards claiming the CSP is getting bumped up to 3x points on dining* I went for it.

Probably going to be my last card until November 2022 when I'm back down to 4/24.

*The document linked in the post seems to have been reverted to the current model, but I saw it last night and it said 3x for dining and "online grocery".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I got the same notice about the CSR's $550 annual fee, which stings. But the travel coverage for the CSR, especially the rental car coverage, has saved us hundreds over the years so they have my loyalty. For now.