Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Highlander tv series was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

chglcu posted:

Nah, Last Crusade is good.

It's a truth widely acknowledged, that the quality of an Indiana Jones movie is proportional to the amount of Nazis in it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

darkwasthenight posted:

The fridge scene is at least suitably pulpy. Feels like the cliffhanger at the end of a strip in the newspaper funnies: "Oh no! How will our hero possibly escape?" and then some rear end in a top hat writer has to work out how he can possibly survive a nuclear bomb that doesn't involve flying away on an eagle or something because he's doing five strips a week and has written himself into a corner. Indie is basically a comics character so it's not tonally miles away even if it stands out in the movie.

I think the fridge scene would have been find if he'd just hidden in there and emerged from the rubble.

It's the (relatively) long series of shots where it's tumbling over and over that causes the problem. The raft scene in Temple of Doom is very silly but it's silly because the raft floats like a magical cloud. There's never a time when it slams into something at a hundred miles an hour. The problem isn't about realism but about the way in which it's unrealistic.

The silhouette against the mushroom cloud is fantastic though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

Adrian Paul is a great choice if you want to make a really bad spinoff of something. See also the second series of The War of the Worlds tv show.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The inflatable raft is, by movie logic, soft and floaty. Because it's inflatable, like a balloon.

It first lands in snow on a steep slope - movie logic says snow is soft. What impact was left over was taken up by them landing on a slope rather than a horizontal surface and immediately sliding away.

Then they had the big fall off the edge of the cliff, but land in water. Movie logic - soft and floaty raft and landing in water, which is also movie logic soft.

Of course, in the real world, any of that would have just killed them outright, but movie logic makes it look survivable.

The flying fridge did not look survivable. Flying high in the air and landing on hard ground in a heavy metal box is not the same as an inflatable raft landing in snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn4Vhkmb4Lw&t=75s

The fridge had "lead lined" on the door so you know it's 100% movie logic proof against radiation. But he overtook those guys in the car by flying over their heads, no one's walking away from that.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jul 2, 2021

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The inflatable raft is, by movie logic, soft and floaty. Because it's inflatable, like a balloon.

It first lands in snow on a steep slope - movie logic says snow is soft. What impact was left over was taken up by them landing on a slope rather than a horizontal surface and immediately sliding away.

Then they had the big fall off the edge of the cliff, but land in water. Movie logic - soft and floaty raft and landing in water, which is also movie logic soft.

Of course, in the real world, any of that would have just killed them outright, but movie logic makes it look survivable.

The flying fridge did not look survivable. Flying high in the air and landing on hard ground in a heavy metal box is not the same as an inflatable raft landing in snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn4Vhkmb4Lw&t=75s

The fridge had "lead lined" on the door so you know it's 100% movie logic proof against radiation. But he overtook those guys in the car by flying over their heads, no one's walking away from that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sunswipe posted:

Adrian Paul is a great choice if you want to make a really bad spinoff of something. See also the second series of The War of the Worlds tv show.

I met Adrian Paul once a couple years ago, he was a nice guy.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shame about his acting.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't. It makes Highlander 2 look like T2.

It's worth watching the bit where they're casually loading a car to a Nu-metal cover of "Princes Of The Universe".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlEamQJ-1g

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This was always one of those weird 7am-on-a-weekday-glimpsed-while-you're-getting-ready-for-school cartoons for me. I remember seeing scenes from it between breakfast and walking out the door. Those cartoons were always tainted for me with the association with getting ready for school.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the fridge scene would have been find if he'd just hidden in there and emerged from the rubble.

Honestly I kind of half remembered it as him coming out of the rubble afterwards rather than the rocket fridge scene and most of my defence is based around that. Perhaps its an alternate universe where everything is slightly bouncy or humans have tougher internal organs??

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
It's the Grail. Drink from the Holy Grail and you'll be Hollywood-immortal for the rest of your life.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This was always one of those weird 7am-on-a-weekday-glimpsed-while-you're-getting-ready-for-school cartoons for me. I remember seeing scenes from it between breakfast and walking out the door. Those cartoons were always tainted for me with the association with getting ready for school.

I cannot see Biker Mice From Mars without remembering the exact cereal I ate every day during the time it was on before school.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I remember seeing commercials for it airing on USA back when they tried having a Saturday morning cartoon block (along with Problem Child the animated series), but I never actually got around to watching it.

My 7am weekday cartoons were Pokemon, Monster Rancher, Medabots and Beyblade.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

I remember seeing commercials for it airing on USA back when they tried having a Saturday morning cartoon block (along with Problem Child the animated series), but I never actually got around to watching it.

Speaking of media that didn't age well, but for a different reason than usual: Monster Rancher!

Yeah, turns out making your whole game's gimmick 'put in CDs that the game will scan and generate a unique monster for' ABSOLUTELY did not survive outside of the PS1 and PS2. Which is a shame, that's a really clever idea for how to personalize a collection of monsters and bring in some wild rumors and talking points ("guys, I summoned a zombie by putting in the soundtrack to the movie Spawn!*"), but there's just no way to recreate that outside of those two consoles. They apparently tried to do a nod to that when they ported it to the Switch and mobile platforms by letting you generate monsters based on a list of CDs from the era, but... c'mon, that's not the same as raiding your family's CDs, DVDs and games and seeing what happens if you make a monster out of your dad's KISS CD.

*This one is actually true and the intended method of getting this monster

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of media that didn't age well, but for a different reason than usual: Monster Rancher!

Yeah, turns out making your whole game's gimmick 'put in CDs that the game will scan and generate a unique monster for' ABSOLUTELY did not survive outside of the PS1 and PS2. Which is a shame, that's a really clever idea for how to personalize a collection of monsters and bring in some wild rumors and talking points ("guys, I summoned a zombie by putting in the soundtrack to the movie Spawn!*"), but there's just no way to recreate that outside of those two consoles. They apparently tried to do a nod to that when they ported it to the Switch and mobile platforms by letting you generate monsters based on a list of CDs from the era, but... c'mon, that's not the same as raiding your family's CDs, DVDs and games and seeing what happens if you make a monster out of your dad's KISS CD.

*This one is actually true and the intended method of getting this monster

GBA used word banks, DS you drew pictures

It could have gone mobile and generated monsters based on mp3s like that tower defense game iOS had back in the 00s

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Len posted:

It could have gone mobile and generated monsters based on mp3s like that tower defense game iOS had back in the 00s
Square Enix released a tactical RPG where you summoned troops based on your mp3s.

...for the iPod.

...like, the click wheel iPod.

they later ported it to like iphone and whatever but I'm mostly calling out the click wheel controls :ssh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Square Enix released a tactical RPG where you summoned troops based on your mp3s.

...for the iPod.

they later ported it to like iphone and whatever but I'm mostly calling out the click wheel controls :ssh:

Apparently it's unlisted and can't be bought anymore

I wonder why the videogame historians aren't up in arms about that like they are PT. At least this was actually a game and not a demo for a game that's never coming out that plays nothing like the game it's advertising

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: ^^ Actually, there IS a majorly disappointed crowd around the loss of 32-bit iOS games, as well as some efforts to preserve as much as possible. That's a goddamn mass grave of games that were lost, and some of them are pretty significant in their own ways; Flappy Bird is among them, for example, although that's actually a different conversation since it was taken down and unavailable on the developer's discretion.

EDIT 2: Also, just a quick google search says that Song Summoner and its sequel actually are preserved and available to play, either on the original hardware (if you've got it) or modern platforms. So... do yourself the literal barest amount of research and you'll find something instead of complaining that it doesn't exist, I guess?

Len posted:

GBA used word banks, DS you drew pictures

MP3s may not actually work on modern mobile platforms, because most people stream their music rather than download it locally, but it definitely could've worked at some point. Albeit it would've been a system more easily gamed to get the good monsters; it would likely come from metadata on the MP3 itself, especially do do the unique monsters, so once it came out that the radio edit of California Girls summoned an absolute beast then all you'd have to do is replicate that metadata, which would be small beans compared to 'find a copy of Kick by INXS'.

Still something you can't really imitate on the GBA, DS or Switch (which also got the port smartphones did). They did the best they could in those cases, but they just don't have the same magic as the original Monster Rancher 'monsters from CDs' gimmick.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Jul 3, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vandar posted:

It even got a card game! Pretty much every moderately successful property got a card game back then but hey, it shows it was moderately successful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...for the iPod.

I mean, if there's any platform that kinda game is ideal for it's the one where having MP3s at all is a wild novelty.

the_steve posted:

That takes me back. OG Digimon, of course good ol' Dragon Ball Z giving you something to talk about with the kids at school, and whatever weird probably Japanese stuff they'd have as filler between shows. (The Littles, one adaptation of The Wind in the Willows...)

Wondering how that old stuff holds up a bit. Medabots I recall had a lot of fun with the dub, with Metabee basically being Shaft as a little yellow robot. Almost a proto-Bender, complete with a fraught but caring relationship between him and his human buddy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Beyblade holds up purely because it's gleefully stupid. Like the girl who serves her beyblades from a Tennis racket, or the great wall of china beyblade arena which was awesome. It's just having a lot of fun with the setting and of course some of the primary bit beasts tie into the asian compass animals (at least the dragon and white tiger, don't know about the turtle. I think one guy has the phoenix, might be Kai, can't recall)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Beyblade gave us Moses parting the Red Sea with a beyblade https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfJJpwXTXw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Beyblade holds up purely because it's gleefully stupid. Like the girl who serves her beyblades from a Tennis racket, or the great wall of china beyblade arena which was awesome. It's just having a lot of fun with the setting and of course some of the primary bit beasts tie into the asian compass animals (at least the dragon and white tiger, don't know about the turtle. I think one guy has the phoenix, might be Kai, can't recall)

There's probably a rule with toy commercial anime that the dumber they are, the better. Especially since most characters and matches have the vibe of gimmick pro wrestling.

Did anyone else in the world see Crush Gear Turbo?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Beyblade gave us Moses parting the Red Sea with a beyblade https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfJJpwXTXw

This will forever be the single funniest moment in anime history, at least to me

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, if there's any platform that kinda game is ideal for it's the one where having MP3s at all is a wild novelty.

That takes me back. OG Digimon, of course good ol' Dragon Ball Z giving you something to talk about with the kids at school, and whatever weird probably Japanese stuff they'd have as filler between shows. (The Littles, one adaptation of The Wind in the Willows...)

Wondering how that old stuff holds up a bit. Medabots I recall had a lot of fun with the dub, with Metabee basically being Shaft as a little yellow robot. Almost a proto-Bender, complete with a fraught but caring relationship between him and his human buddy.

Yeah, I liked Medabots. Hell, I still have a few of the toys on top of my bookshelf, though the dice for them are long gone.

I'm honestly surprised they never tried rebooting it. I mean, I know it had that second series, but, I'm meaning like some modern console titles. Mix and match parts for your custom robot should be a slam dunk.

I think the last/only game for it I ever got to play was for the GBA, where you had the Metabee/Rokusho versions ala Pokemon.

Monster Rancher was fun too, though I agree that in this day and age it'd be drat near impossible to replicate the fun of going through random CDs/DVDs to find the best ones.
(Speaking of which, there were a number of Monster Rancher LPs on the forums by Mr Swoon, you can find them on LPArchive if you're looking for some entertainment)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's probably a rule with toy commercial anime that the dumber they are, the better. Especially since most characters and matches have the vibe of gimmick pro wrestling.

Actually something I think Yu-Gi-Oh did very well at, both in-show and in-game. They really heightened the 'gimmick pro wrestlers' concept by just giving the opponents these absurdly specific gimmick decks, and then let the game follow suit by making those specific gimmick decks not just viable, but probably the intended way to play the game. And then looping around the other way and incorporating both playstyles and events that happened because people were playing the game.

The best of that last part was probably during GX. In one episode it was actually a plot point that a card was so overpowered that it got banned--and the card in question was, in fact, the card that necessitated making the game's first banlist. They also had some hilariously specific enemies of the week using weird card combos people actually tried IRL, like the guy that played with a deck focused on making his opponent run out of cards (since being unable to draw a card is a loss condition), or the school nurse running with a deck focused around the combo of cards that make her opponent gain life points and a card that turned all life point gain into damage.

EDIT: And Medabots, for the record, was one of those series that failed to break into the market in the west but was really popular in Japan. Like, the last games released in the series came out in 2020.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jul 3, 2021

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

pentyne posted:

You're almost right.

Honestly the less you look into 1900s social mores the better. Based on historical trends from the late 1800s women were getting married at ages 15-19 at a 10x higher rate then men of the same age and the obvious implication is that tons of men in their 20s, 30s, 40s etc were marrying teenagers. It was probably also a function of wealth/social prestige.

Feel like this is something more people should be aware of.

Yuuuuuuuuup. I read a lot of late 19th/early 20th century literature, including books aimed at young/teenage girls, and the number of times I've seen "man in his twenties, or even thirties, is attracted to, and or marries girl in her teens (and often not even late 18-19 teens, I'm talking 16-17 year olds) and this is seen as perfectly fine and Good; additionally, sometimes the man is also an authority figure over the girl, like a teacher, or her guardian, and this is also Fine and Good" is too high for me to count. To give just one example that people would recognize: Hastings from the Poirot series marries his wife when he's in his thirties and she's nineteen.

The worst offender I've found so far is a book from around 1900, where a seven year girl loses her parents, and is sent to live with her depressed intellectual second cousin, who's in his early thirties when she goes to live with him, and their elderly great aunts. Early on in the book it's mentioned that the girl is almost an exact duplicate, looks-wise, of her mother, who was depressed cousin's first and only love, but she married the girl's father instead.

Seeing the giant waving red flag, I hoped against hope that this wasn't going where it seemed it was going, and read on. Time passes. The cousin becomes more and more enamored of his literal child literal cousin literal ward but thinks to himself that she'd never be interested in a depressed old sad-sack like him. Meanwhile, the main character has a ton of guys her own age interested in her because she's just so beautiful and awesome, but she thinks to herself that as great as these guys are, they just somehow can't hold a candle to her cousin and guardian.

The book ends with them finally declaring their love to each other and getting married. The great aunts are thrilled. The main character is probably not more than 17 when this happens. It's also strongly hinted that their marriage is a way of "making up" for her mother jilting the cousin originally.

This was a book aimed at nine year olds, btw.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

For me that was Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles.

I haven't seen that show in literally two decades so I have no idea how well it held up but man, what a weird show. Animated adaptation of an R-rated super violent fascist-parodying movie that somehow got slotted into 7 AM cartoon slots even though it was still plenty violent itself and dealt with things like realistic and permanent character death, complete with military funerals.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ishikabibble posted:

I haven't seen that show in literally two decades so I have no idea how well it held up but man, what a weird show. Animated adaptation of an R-rated super violent fascist-parodying movie that somehow got slotted into 7 AM cartoon slots even though it was still plenty violent itself and dealt with things like realistic and permanent character death, complete with military funerals.

I used to watch that before middle school. I don't remember much about that show except the theme song was cool as heck. Looking at it, the animation holds up surprisingly well, in my opinion, for late-90s CGI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ7S4iwXSc

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Liffrea posted:

This was a book aimed at nine year olds, btw.

I recently read the Emily Starr books where a horrendously creepy man falls in love with an eleven-year-old and befriends her and grooms her for years. Thank goodness she backs out just before their wedding - when she is, I think, about 18 or so - because she realises she doesn't love him. Other adults around her disapprove but her 'friendship' with this guy is portrayed as a good thing. I wish he'd fallen in the sea.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ishikabibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgSIMVlrnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1L3kRbx1A

It wasn't really weird though, it was pretty standard serious military sci-fi action adventure that we got a lot of in the 90s, from Wing Commander to Exosquad, and including imports from Canada with Heavy Gear (sort of), France with Space Strikers (lol), and Japan with Teknoman (arguably) and Gundam Wing (which aired contemporaneous with Roughnecks). And during that time it was Sony's modus operandi to produce fairly serious and well-received television cartoons based on their movies - Extreme Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Godzilla.

What made it stand apart was the incredible effort and expense poured into (almost - a few episodes were done by a separate studio) every episode, there's nothing else from the time that looks like it, and even today.

If you want a weird series from that time, there's Roswell Conspiracies Aliens, Myths and Legends, a sort of superhero X-Files for kids, inspired by Gargoyles, Hong Kong action films, and a whole lot of anime.

https://vimeo.com/454301427

DontMockMySmock posted:

I used to watch that before middle school. I don't remember much about that show except the theme song was cool as heck. Looking at it, the animation holds up surprisingly well, in my opinion, for late-90s CGI.
That's because it was done by Foundation Imaging who cut their teeth on doing space sci-fi effects for Babylon 5 and Star Trek, and were thus pretty much the most experienced and capable CG studio at the time to work on such a show. It's too bad it was never finished - there remain 4 episodes that were scripted and storyboarded but never animated, and if Sony had anyone who cared about putting the effort into reviving old projects for Crackle like WB does for HBO Max, it would have happened already.

Speaking of which, yes, the entire thing is available on Crackle.

https://www.crackle.com/watch/349/2459616

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Goddamn, you just sent me into full-on flashbacks. I had completely forgotten this ever existed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

Actually something I think Yu-Gi-Oh did very well at, both in-show and in-game. They really heightened the 'gimmick pro wrestlers' concept by just giving the opponents these absurdly specific gimmick decks, and then let the game follow suit by making those specific gimmick decks not just viable, but probably the intended way to play the game. And then looping around the other way and incorporating both playstyles and events that happened because people were playing the game.

The best of that last part was probably during GX. In one episode it was actually a plot point that a card was so overpowered that it got banned--and the card in question was, in fact, the card that necessitated making the game's first banlist. They also had some hilariously specific enemies of the week using weird card combos people actually tried IRL, like the guy that played with a deck focused on making his opponent run out of cards (since being unable to draw a card is a loss condition), or the school nurse running with a deck focused around the combo of cards that make her opponent gain life points and a card that turned all life point gain into damage.

EDIT: And Medabots, for the record, was one of those series that failed to break into the market in the west but was really popular in Japan. Like, the last games released in the series came out in 2020.

All of those are absolutely viable in-game strategies, indeed. And the whole idea of gimmick decks with united themes and mechanics is absolutely how card games work, as every year's new releases (often cycling older carts out of competitive use) are built around specific themes and gimmicks that are designed to synergise. You see that kind of thing in other kinds of games too; I've seen a Final Fantasy boss fight that pretty much revolves entirely around 'apply status effect that turns healing into harm, then heal the poo poo out of them'.

Even in the earlier seasons, deck gimmicks and mechanics are major plot points, with Kaiba being pointed out as over-relying on powerful monster cards, leaving him vulnerable to trap and spell cards that he has no way to counter. One low-level bad guy comes to mind whose main deal is having three full sets of Exodia the Forbidden One, who if fully summoned will instantly win the duel, and the rest of his deck is pretty much devoted to stalling and churning through his deck to get all the Exodia cards ASAP. And of course, since Pegasus owns the card game, he can print whatever cards he want, and makes himself a custom deck of deliberately overpowered Toon Monsters that only he has. (on top of having a mind-reading magical eye, which he's so reliant on his strategy completely falls apart without it)

Also a pretty common theme that Yugi handles these kind of decks much like the good irl strategies; figure out how their gimmick works and specifically counter it, since the player's whole strategy usually completely falls apart once you do. Aside from his 'heart of the cards' bullshit luck, iirc Yugi tends to not have too many particular gimmicks and prefers to play flexibly, often winning by using his opponent's own strategy against them, and sometimes winning their key cards and incorporating them into his deck.

Oh, speaking of 90s action-sci-fi cartoons, War Planets/Shadow Raiders comes to mind. Odd mix of toy-selling gimmicks, pretty brutal depictions of war, and cosmic horror of an antagonist that's basically a less friendly Galactus, and the protagonists do not have a Reed Richards.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Jul 5, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress I loved shadow raiders. Don't forget this kids cartoon opens with a fullscale planetary genocide.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All of those are absolutely viable in-game strategies, indeed. And the whole idea of gimmick decks with united themes and mechanics is absolutely how card games work, as every year's new releases (often cycling older carts out of competitive use) are built around specific themes and gimmicks that are designed to synergise.

My favorite thing about the older Duels of the Planeswalkers Magic The Gathering videogames was fighting against gimmick decks that would not be legal in the actual game. Like a deck consisting of nothing but the same 1 mana 1/1 flying creature (you can't have more than 4 identical cards in a deck), to a deck focused on stalling you waiting for Helix Pinnacle to trigger, etc.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You see that kind of thing in other kinds of games too; I've seen a Final Fantasy boss fight that pretty much revolves entirely around 'apply status effect that turns healing into harm, then heal the poo poo out of them'.

I really loving hated that boss fight (Yunalesca in Final Fantasy X, if anyone is curious) when I was a kid. I bet it would still be utter bullshit now. The worst part is that it comes right after an extremely long unskippable cutscene so good luck doing it over and over again!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm surprised by how common it still is to get into a fight in a game and having to quit out because you get put into unwinnable situations. I especially hate it when this happens because the boss has arbitrarily high HP or resistances. For example MGS Peace Walker, where the late-game bosses were 30-minute slogs. I remember when that franchise didn't even have menus and you didn't have to do homework before the main boss fights.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Spermando posted:

I'm surprised by how common it still is to get into a fight in a game and having to quit out because you get put into unwinnable situations. I especially hate it when this happens because the boss has arbitrarily high HP or resistances. For example MGS Peace Walker, where the late-game bosses were 30-minute slogs. I remember when that franchise didn't even have menus and you didn't have to do homework before the main boss fights.

God I stopped playing peace walker because of the vehicle boss fights being so unfun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mind the walrus posted:

It's different when you know the geography in question and it's valid if that takes you out of the movie. There's no need to CinemaSins or RLM that poo poo like it's a fatal flaw of the movie, but it's also ok to say "Yeah that made it weaker in my eyes, wish they could have found another way to do it." :jerkbag:

The funniest time this happened to me was Ghostbusters 2016, where they tried to play off downtown Boston as if it were NYC. It'd've been less noticable in retrospect had they not made the unfortunate choice to use the area around my girlfriend's law school as "NYC".