Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

I'm re-listening to Davros after not hearing this one for years and years. Terry Molloy has some great monologues in it, and separating Davros from the Daleks is interesting.

Davros just might be my favorite Doctor Who story, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Davros1 posted:

Davros just might be my favorite Doctor Who story, ever.

The Sixth Doctor trying to be stealthy, seeing that the bad guys have Davros and getting so indignant that he marches over to give them a verbal dressing down is hilarious. Terry Malloy's opening monologue as he gets more and more worked up and his voice gets more and more like a Dalek is so well done.

What's creepy about Davros isn't just how evil he is, but how incredibly messed up he is - he already had a nuke dropped on him and refused to die out of sheer hatred and rage, but add on the repeated cloning, cybernetic enhancements and the effects of time travel and extended suspended animation, he's a mess. The body horror of Davros feels like that's what they should have gone for with the Emperor in Rise of Skywalker.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 30, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
All sent! Good luck everyone else! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

The body horror of Davros feels like that's what they should have gone for with the Emperor in Rise of Skywalker.

The results were mixed, but The Witch's Familiar with Davros playing up the anguish of not being able to die, especially as he's being kept alive by his own "children" who simultaneously despise him, and his interactions with the Doctor are so great.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was too much :wtc:ery about Davros in that story for me to enjoy it. "Oh, my eyes weren't burnt out by a nuke requiring the implantation of a cybernetic one in my forehead at all, I just couldn't be bothered to open them. And I know I said that I need my life-support chair to survive for more than 30 seconds, but guys - I'm a mad scientist, c'mon!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes but on the flip side, you've got all the Daleks simultaneously recoiling from the Doctor showing up in Davros' chair :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Payndz posted:

There was too much :wtc:ery about Davros in that story for me to enjoy it. "Oh, my eyes weren't burnt out by a nuke requiring the implantation of a cybernetic one in my forehead at all, I just couldn't be bothered to open them. And I know I said that I need my life-support chair to survive for more than 30 seconds, but guys - I'm a mad scientist, c'mon!"

Maybe he got a few surgeries in preparation for meeting the Doctor.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I read a summary of 'The Magician's Apprentice', and I'd forgotten - or blotted from my mind - an awful lot of it. This was the season where I later gave up on the show, and I think the Divorced Dad Midlife Crisis energy of a shades-wearing Twelve bursting through the wall of a Middle Ages castle in a tank while delivering a guitar solo used up much of what was left of my patience. Like a lot of Moffat's later stories, the core of the tale - the moral quandry set up by Four of "could you kill that child?" when Twelve encounters the young Davros - was almost buried by bullshit.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

The Sixth Doctor trying to be stealthy, seeing that the bad guys have Davros and getting so indignant that he marches over to give them a verbal dressing down is hilarious. Terry Malloy's opening monologue as he gets more and more worked up and his voice gets more and more like a Dalek is so well done.

What's creepy about Davros isn't just how evil he is, but how incredibly messed up he is - he already had a nuke dropped on him and refused to die out of sheer hatred and rage, but add on the repeated cloning, cybernetic enhancements and the effects of time travel and extended suspended animation, he's a mess. The body horror of Davros feels like that's what they should have gone for with the Emperor in Rise of Skywalker.

Not only that, you have the scenes where Davros is utterly bewildered by Lorraine's acts of kindness towards him. Like he said in the story, the moments with her were the first time in his life where someone wasn't trying to kill him. He lives his entire life in fear of being killed. That's horrific.

And that heartbreaking moment where he confesses that the Doctor is the closest thing he has to a friend.

On the flip side, the sheer level of pettiness between him and the Doctor are wonderful, and could only be pulled off by Colin and Terry. Davros starting work early knowing it would only make the Doctor look bad is wonderful. "With my chariot, I don't need to sleep." "With my Time Lord physiology I don't need much sleep either!"

They're so bitchy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Torchwood is… real?

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1410554227924013061

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1410599078698926080?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Payndz posted:

I read a summary of 'The Magician's Apprentice', and I'd forgotten - or blotted from my mind - an awful lot of it. This was the season where I later gave up on the show, and I think the Divorced Dad Midlife Crisis energy of a shades-wearing Twelve bursting through the wall of a Middle Ages castle in a tank while delivering a guitar solo used up much of what was left of my patience. Like a lot of Moffat's later stories, the core of the tale - the moral quandry set up by Four of "could you kill that child?" when Twelve encounters the young Davros - was almost buried by bullshit.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Oh you're not wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know what is awesome?

There have been no bad doctors. Only bad showrunners.

No franchise has a "no bad main characters" like this one. Literally none. Not a single one.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I agree over all but for me Tennant comes perilously close

Definitely I think everyone knows by now that the traditional "bad doctor" (Colin Baker) is nothing of the sort and is actually one of the greatest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll never forget the first time I heard the Emperor Dalek boom out "DOC-TOR!", even as simply audio it was pretty loving chilling. Really looking forward to this one (I mean, I look forward to all of them, but this one in particular!).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Foster posted:

Definitely I think everyone knows by now that the traditional "bad doctor" (Colin Baker) is nothing of the sort and is actually one of the greatest

Especially in the classic serial, Timelash.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BBC make me showrunner you cowards

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

BBC make me showrunner you cowards

What would you do?

I used to be so inspired for Who ideas, I just don't have them anymore.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Open Source Idiom posted:

What would you do?

I used to be so inspired for Who ideas, I just don't have them anymore.

I'd be significantly hands off and never write or direct an episode myself, instead focusing on script editing and team management. The heart of the show would be an extremely diverse writers room.

At least 80% of the shots per season would be sound stage shoots, to make the process easier for the cast and crew. When script editing, the writer's room would ask for every single any scene or shot, "how can we do this on a sound stage or studio set instead of on location so that our actors don't burn out?"

I'd pull in good directors from the show's past and give some of them opportunities to have auteur projects on the show if they have scripts or concepts to use.

I'd solicit sci fi/fantasy authors, and maybe even some actors, for story concepts or outlines which could be completed by the writers' room. I'd also reach out to Big Finish writers for scripts, concepts, or outlines.

There would be no "Doctor who canon" stories during my tenure, and minimal series arcs. The tone of the show would shift away from being a puzzle box long arc prestige TV format and more towards self-contained episodes with more of standalone shorts thing going on. Having good individual stories will always be subordinate to having series narratives, which will happen mostly through character development instead of through puzzle boxes/recurring villains/apocalyptic threats.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

CommonShore posted:

I'd solicit sci fi/fantasy authors, and maybe even some actors, for story concepts or outlines which could be completed by the writers' room. I'd also reach out to Big Finish writers for scripts, concepts, or outlines.

The most Big Finish idea I ever had for a Doctor Who episode was to have an episode end with a companion getting left behind as the TARDIS leaves but then a moment later it lands again, except it's Paul McGann's Doctor so we get an episode with a modern companion and a just before the Time War 8th Doctor episode, and then at the end of that episode the same thing happens, but it's the Current Doctor coming back to pick up the companion.

I just really want more Paul McGann episodes, but maybe just a Christmas Special?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd bring back the humorous political satire, as opposed to the biting political satire we've had since RTD.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If I were showrunner I would simply make the show good. I don’t why Chibnall hasn’t tried that yet, it’s so simple.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Edward Mass posted:

I'd bring back the humorous political satire, as opposed to the biting political satire we've had since RTD.

Bring back the farts.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
The first thing any new show runner should do is bring back Chris Noth's character long enough for him to get some (ANY) comeuppance and then 86 him for good.

I don't know why that sticks in my craw so bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

The first thing any new show runner should do is bring back Chris Noth's character long enough for him to get some (ANY) comeuppance and then 86 him for good.

I don't know why that sticks in my craw so bad.
Pretty sure I do.

Or is that :thejoke:?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

LividLiquid posted:

Pretty sure I do.

Or is that :thejoke:?

It's like, yeah ok I can see letting him get off lightly once, poo poo happens, bad people get away with stuff even in kids shows about fighting pepper pots. But twice?! Especially with the obvious real life basis for his character?

That real life guy is going to (most likely, because this is hell) get off light, so I need to see his fictional counterpart get his. Even the fake George W Bush* got killed by the Master!

Failing that, a new show runner should send them back to throw Margaret Thatcher into a black hole.

*it has been a while since I watched that episode, so he might not have been a GWB expy, that's just how I remember it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I'd kill off the time lords again.
or bring them back.
whichever is in turn at that point.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Cerv posted:

I'd kill off the time lords again.
or bring them back.
whichever is in turn at that point.

It always struck me as odd that Second Doctor only summoned the Time Lords as an absolute last resort and he remained terrified of them the whole time, but the Third Doctor meets them and he's all "Oh it's these pricks again".

They should just reveal that "The Time Lords" we see after The War Games are just the one's who weren't able to put being a lovely physical thing behind, or just the native Gallifreyans who found the remains of the Time Lords society, they're still god-like in power and ability but they're not the TRUE lords of time, and The Doctor realized that at some point and stopped giving a poo poo about them as an authority.

But then they'd show the REAL Time Lords as lovely evil people in the same way, and continue on, and they'll just have a War In TIme But Worse thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CommonShore posted:

At least 80% of the shots per season would be sound stage shoots, to make the process easier for the cast and crew. When script editing, the writer's room would ask for every single any scene or shot, "how can we do this on a sound stage or studio set instead of on location so that our actors don't burn out?"
Weirdly, I had exactly this thought today. Not every episode has to involve shipping the entire cast and crew across the country, or even another country entirely. Greenscreens exist. Do your CG establishing shot, then cut to the set. Save your goddamn money.

quote:

There would be no "Doctor who canon" stories during my tenure, and minimal series arcs. The tone of the show would shift away from being a puzzle box long arc prestige TV format and more towards self-contained episodes with more of standalone shorts thing going on. Having good individual stories will always be subordinate to having series narratives, which will happen mostly through character development instead of through puzzle boxes/recurring villains/apocalyptic threats.
Hell yes. Moffat's run brought this to the point of being incomprehensible even if you were anything short of an obsessed and uncritical superfan, because there was just so much being layered in that if you forgot one conversation from one episode last year, you had no idea why this person/group who you vaguely remembered as being on the Doctor's side was now implaccably opposed to him. (Lookin' at you, sci-fi priests.) And as for "Well actually, the real truth about the Doctor's past is..." :fuckoff:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Payndz posted:

Weirdly, I had exactly this thought today. Not every episode has to involve shipping the entire cast and crew across the country, or even another country entirely. Greenscreens exist. Do your CG establishing shot, then cut to the set. Save your goddamn money.

Doctor Who would look great filmed with a Volume like Mandolorian. You could get some properly stunning alien vistas that look like a quarry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look right now I'd just settle for there being more than ONE episode in a year :negative:

BooDooBoo posted:

The most Big Finish idea I ever had for a Doctor Who episode was to have an episode end with a companion getting left behind as the TARDIS leaves but then a moment later it lands again, except it's Paul McGann's Doctor so we get an episode with a modern companion and a just before the Time War 8th Doctor episode, and then at the end of that episode the same thing happens, but it's the Current Doctor coming back to pick up the companion.

I just really want more Paul McGann episodes, but maybe just a Christmas Special?

I loved when they did this with Charley and the Sixth Doctor and she had to keep going out of her way to avoid letting him know her past.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Look right now I'd just settle for there being more than ONE episode in a year :negative:

Is the current status that we're not likely to get a new series til 2022?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Is the current status that we're not likely to get a new series til 2022?

That recent story about a potential new actor casually mentioned "specials" in 2022 which gave me the horrible thought that we're gonna get like 6 episodes this year and then 2 next year and no full season till 2023 (if then).

People used to claim that Moffat blew the budget on season 5 (the best season) and that's why the production schedule got thrown for a loop for the rest of his tenure, and maybe there is some credence to that claim, but given Chibnall's demonstrated success as a showrunner on Broadchurch (writing quality aside, the show was cast, produced and released without delay) I have to assume the continued failure to deliver a regular schedule is down to some problem higher up in the BBC.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Are my eyes deceiving me or do people actually want more boring as gently caress DW from Chibnall? :confused:

I mean, yes, Jodie's great and all. But she's saddled with bad plots, boring stories, and horrible characterization from one of the most stultifyingly dull minds ever to be put in charge of the show. And it's not just me, the resident non-nuWho fan, who's said these things in the past ITT. Whoever said that Chibnall's waste of Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor is practically a crime was spot on. Why would anyone be clamoring to see more of it?

At this point they should just pull another Michael Grade, and put the show on hiatus for a bit. But this time, fire the showrunner and keep Jodie as the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Are my eyes deceiving me or do people actually want more boring as gently caress DW from Chibnall? :confused:

Looks like your eyes are deceiving you, as near everybody has said they dislike Chibnall as showrunner. Wanting there to be more than a couple of episodes a year (or only ONE!) of Doctor Who is a completely unrelated matter.

Either get a new showrunner, or bring back the old Producer/Script Editor split, or one of a 1000 other things (hopefully none of which involve removing Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor, because she's the best thing the show has going right now), but whatever they do: I want more than one episode a year! That's just a cruel tease at this point!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Looks like your eyes are deceiving you, as near everybody has said they dislike Chibnall as showrunner. Wanting there to be more than a couple of episodes a year (or only ONE!) of Doctor Who is a completely unrelated matter.

Either get a new showrunner, or bring back the old Producer/Script Editor split, or one of a 1000 other things (hopefully none of which involve removing Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor, because she's the best thing the show has going right now), but whatever they do: I want more than one episode a year! That's just a cruel tease at this point!

Well yeah, in an ideal world I'd agree with you 100%, but unfortunately we're stuck with Chibbers, which is why I said (mostly in jest, which I admit I didn't make as clear as I should've) that it boggled my mind anyone would want to see more of his take on DW, since that's all people are gonna get for the foreseeable future: the styrofoam packing-level of excitement that is Chinball Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Put Tom Baker in charge for a year and let things get weird :laugh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My stance is that Chibnall sucks poo poo overall but a couple of A+++ episodes squeak through every series, so I'll watch whatever they throw at me (it's the Harlequin Romance situation, basically).

I'd rather just have it sooner rather than later.

Also giving Chibnall more time to work on it is just more time for him to cook up overwrought dumbass poo poo. I feel as if the cast they have will do better with underwritten material. Put it in their hands, empower them to play with the material a bit, and start filming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell, let Jodie Whittaker film stuff in her house in costume and just put it on television. She already nailed it once in her COVID message thing she did, go full This Is The End with it and make Pineapple Express 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess a particular quirk of me as a viewer, though, is that I follow no other TV series at all. As a consequence, it's not hard for me to find time to watch the one show that I actually follow and to want more episodes of it.