Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I dunno, Diane Abbott's been an MP longer than I've been alive and she's likely had shittier party leaders than Keith in her time. She's more than entitled to her opinion.

No boring number fact/cat picture here.
Just me telling some of you to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

I mean yeah she’s a good person but she’s never been a good mp. They might actually be opposite positions.

lmao what the gently caress are you talking about? she's an immensely popular and active MP in Islington*. She's also a busy campaigner, active in debates, and nobody has a bad word about any of her committee work.

You can define "good mp" as a bunch of different things but the only one where Abbott isn't top of the labour party is tabled legislation, which is expected from someone who isn't a practicing lawyer

*hackney

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 2, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't really blame her for wanting to be the bigger person, even if it's not a good long term strategy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she should flush keith's head in toilet imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spangly A posted:

lmao what the gently caress are you talking about? she's an immensely popular and active MP in Islington. She's also a busy campaigner, active in debates, and nobody has a bad word about any of her committee work.

You can define "good mp" as a bunch of different things but the only one where Abbott isn't top of the labour party is tabled legislation, which is expected from someone who isn't a practicing lawyer

And this is when I find out Hackney & Islington are next to each other, such is my staggering ignorance of London geography

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

And this is when I find out Hackney & Islington are next to each other, such is my staggering ignorance of London geography

I'll take that one as a brainfart, I thought she was islington south for some reason

even if it's true I definitely didn't mean it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

In fairness, you could tell me Hackney was in Croydon & I'd just nod "thought it was more Inner London but I know nothing on this topic"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
London Facts: Both Hackney and Islington are south of Fort William.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

London Facts: Both Hackney and Islington are south of Fort William.

This one I know.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/PronouncedAlva/status/1410963372846288904?s=20

So it turns out the right wingers are right, Diane Abbott is a moron after all. “I wouldn’t do to Keir what the right of the party did to Jeremy”

Why the gently caress not? You owe them nothing you absolute div.

I think she would be a viable counter to Boris or any other top Tory for leader.
Also, probably why she is saying this now, this is a stealth way of putting out feelers for future leadership bids.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I don't think she has a chance.
The Grate British Public have been heavily schooled by the media to ridicule her at every opportunity.
She suffers more abuse on twitter than all the rest of the politicians put together.
Women Labour MPs such as the vile bully Jess Flaps do not give her any support (Jess Flaps boasts of telling DA to gently caress off though DA says she doesn't remember it).

She stood in 2010 and only got 7.24% of votes (Source: wiki). This was the election Ed Milliband won.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Like, understand, I've made a hobby of reporting Twitter racists. The sheer ingrained prolificness of Diane Abbot mockery is insane. It's not like cutting a cerberus head, it's like mowing a 20 acre lawn.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

lmao what the gently caress are you talking about? she's an immensely popular and active MP in Islington*. She's also a busy campaigner, active in debates, and nobody has a bad word about any of her committee work.

*hackney

I'll be charitable and say OP meant "good politician" rather than "good MP" because I think that does actually fit the sentence rather better.

Also you've already corrected your brainfart but I've mentioned before the street my brother used to live on is on the border between Hackney and Islington and never has a border between boroughs been quite so obvious:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5305177,-0.0924508,3a,75y,346.3h,92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKZrzRtMt-bG98q9EZryDsQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 if you fancy stalking somewhere i last visited 25 years ago, it's really pretty remarkable just how little it's changed considering its proximity to the City.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Which is meant to be the nice side?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I walked through Islington once - me and a friend went to see Amon Amarth play at the HMV Forum (Kentish Town) in 2011 and he got paranoid about congestion charges and we basically just dumped the car there are walked. The it turned out charges don't apply on a Sunday or something and oh well.

Some proper wannabe rudeboys threw us some homophobic abuse because I dunno, we were two men walking down the street (just like them, lol) and from the sticks so must have looked out of place.

Some very big houses in that part of town.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Scotland reports most daily cases since pandemic onset

Financial Times posted:

Scotland on Monday recorded the highest daily number of positive coronavirus tests since the pandemic began, with at least 3,285 confirmed infections reported over the previous 24 hours.

The daily data published by the Scottish government underscored the rapid spread of the Delta coronavirus variant, which has already prompted delay in lockdown easing plans.

Government agency Public Health Scotland said the positive test reported on Monday did not include all results from a major Glasgow laboratory. The previous highest daily positive test total was 2,999 announced last Thursday, with a previous peak of 2,649 reached on January 7.

Delays in reporting test results means final positive case totals are often higher than the daily data.

While deaths and hospitalisations from Covid-19 remain low as a result of the mass vaccination programme, transmission has grown sharply in Scotland recent weeks. Monday’s data showed that more than 12 per cent of the 27,226 test results reported in the previous 24 hours were positive.

Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, last Tuesday set out plans to move the country to the lowest level of coronavirus restrictions by July 19 and to return to near normality by August 9.

Sturgeon said the vaccines rollout had weakened the link between Covid-19 transmission and serious health harm and normal life was “within sight”.

:tif:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dead Goon posted:

I walked through Islington once - me and a friend went to see Amon Amarth play at the HMV Forum (Kentish Town) in 2011 and he got paranoid about congestion charges and we basically just dumped the car there are walked. The it turned out charges don't apply on a Sunday or something and oh well.

Some proper wannabe rudeboys threw us some homophobic abuse because I dunno, we were two men walking down the street (just like them, lol) and from the sticks so must have looked out of place.

Some very big houses in that part of town.

Don't let the big houses fool you, Islington has absolutely shocking levels of poverty: https://www.islington.gov.uk/~/medi...ctober20191.pdf

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/gem_ste/status/1410924446492340237

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1410995149254139905?s=19

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just came to post this. Even *they* couldn't stand each other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jack_saundrs/status/1410892905074597893

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

There's a lot of speculation, though none from anyone obvious, that the sunday papers might have a bit more detail.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gove gay so what

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/02/keir-starmer-hails-kim-leadbeater-as-the-future-of-labour

quote:

Keir Starmer has hailed Labour’s new MP in Batley and Spen as the future of the party and contrasted her decency and spirit with a prime minister “who basks in his own dishonesty”.

Lauding a narrow victory in the West Yorkshire byelection as “a turning point” in the fight against divisive politics, the Labour leader said Kim Leadbeater was an exemplar of the more community-based approach he wants the party to pursue.

Writing for the Guardian, Starmer praised Leadbeater – a political novice whose 323-vote victory means she takes over the seat formerly represented by her sister, Jo Cox – for having fought a campaign based on “unity and decency”.

etc

and this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/02/how-labour-kim-leadbeater-defied-the-doubters-in-the-batley-and-spen-byelection

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Fucks sake. Give me strength. Oi! Coles! You have far too many pictures of a bloke who knocked up your missus!

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1410990468230533123?s=19

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just wanted to say it's time for ice cream. Holy hell I'm sweating.

This I believe is a traditional british flavour (rum raisin). Actually one of my favorites,

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

crispix posted:

gove gay so what

We don't want him. Throw him back.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'm pretty sure the colloquial name for rum and raisin is "malaga" ice cream. A real brisitish staple through and through

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trickjaw posted:

Fucks sake. Give me strength. Oi! Coles! You have far too many pictures of a bloke who knocked up your missus!

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1410990468230533123?s=19

It looks like he's trying to signal a nationalist helicopter to rescue him.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

His Divine Shadow posted:

This I believe is a traditional british flavour (rum raisin). Actually one of my favorites,

Aren't you in Finland? I'm guessing it's 20c.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

It looks like he's trying to signal a nationalist helicopter to rescue him.
Helicopters fly by being so poo poo that the earth repels them. Boris is trying to achieve the same thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Which is meant to be the nice side?

Well one side is million pound plus town houses and the other is an (admittedly rare and interesting but really not *nice*) 1930s council estate. Also notice the pretty massive disparity in the state of repair of the street and (although not visible in the picture, very obvious if you click through to the Street View) the very, very different types and ages of cars parked in the residents bays.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well one side is million pound plus town houses and the other is an (admittedly rare and interesting but really not *nice*) 1930s council estate. Also notice the pretty massive disparity in the state of repair of the street and (although not visible in the picture, very obvious if you click through to the Street View) the very, very different types and ages of cars parked in the residents bays.

I've always found town houses ugly and off putting. Most of them just look like the posh equivalent of cramming loads of people into a small space.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

Just came to post this. Even *they* couldn't stand each other.

Rumours that that isn't the issue here...

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Rumours that that isn't the issue here...

If someone else has been shagging either one I don't want to know, or see the half-witted homunculus who has been doing.. whatever.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

If gove's actually gay I give it a month before the papers decide that all criticism of him is homophobia. This will be applied retroactively.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Do they still do those sort of most eligible bachelor lists? Cos Gove just shot to the top of the list.

I don't think I've got the turns out to be rubbish AZ vaccine but the handwriting on the little bit of paper they gave me is totally illegible so could be loving anything.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The issue with Gove isn't that his alleged affair is/was with a man, it's supposedly a poweful ex spad who now works in Downing Street, and who is now best mates with Carrie. He's yet another powerful unelected person with huge influence at the centre of our government.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/24/chatty-rat-he-may-be-carrie-symonds-best-friend-but-who-is-henry-newman

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 2, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do they still do those sort of most eligible bachelor lists? Cos Gove just shot to the top of the list.

I don't think I've got the turns out to be rubbish AZ vaccine but the handwriting on the little bit of paper they gave me is totally illegible so could be loving anything.

They don't go by that. You have to sign on to the NHS website to get the real story. (I think the way you do it in England is different to Wales).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

His Divine Shadow posted:

As someone both with a weakness for ice-cream and currently trying to go a month without eating sweet junk, please stop.