Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

This is worth trying, if you like heat. It is for ribs, but I do the main non-cooking part with shoulder.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgyaXkH3_pU&t=119s

My advice is to dial WAY back on the salt used, and I substitute very dark maple syrup for the sugar.

I wouldn’t mind me some Memphis heat, my toddler son probably wouldn’t go for it though. Might give that a try and tweak it a bit.

Out of curiosity, what made you sub in the maple syrup for the sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

doin this big thing of meat for this July 4 weekend:

any tips/considerations for smoking wagyu brisket?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Development posted:

doin this big thing of meat for this July 4 weekend:

any tips/considerations for smoking wagyu brisket?

Holy poo poo. None from me, I'd just save the fat I trimmed and do something with it.

I've got a Prime packer I'm thinking of doing Friday night into Saturday. As tempting as the burnt ends recipes are, I think I'm going to try and make this a vanilla, unfancy run since I've only done the flat before.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Reverse for me, I got just the flat for the first time. Planning to start it Saturday evening around 6pm, and then it should be theoretically ready to go by 1pm the next day. Got brats on standby ready to go if not.

Planning to try a broth injection before I smoke it this time, have heard good things about it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
See a waygu brisket is one of those things I'd watch like a hawk. Also I'd be terrified to handle it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Reverse for me, I got just the flat for the first time. Planning to start it Saturday evening around 6pm, and then it should be theoretically ready to go by 1pm the next day. Got brats on standby ready to go if not.

Planning to try a broth injection before I smoke it this time, have heard good things about it.

I did a broth injection on my last flat but I won't be repeating because I came dangerously close to violating the 4 hour rule as it was and injecting just felt like another vector for bacteria to take hold. I mean... it didn't as it happens, but it gave me another thing to fret over.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

See a waygu brisket is one of those things I'd watch like a hawk. Also I'd be terrified to handle it.

Are wagyu brisket really better for smoking? Like, isn't the big thing with a low and slow brisket turning all the tough bits into gelatin? If the beast was coddled the way wagyu is are it's tendons and connective bits going to be as developed?

Yes it's fatty as all get out, which seems good burnt ends, but otherwise I would think the ideal application for a wagyu brisket would be hamburgers or something else where the fat is a key part of the profile.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Wagyu is just the breed (actually a family of them, I guess). They are not necessarily pampered any more than Angus or any other cattle.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

Are wagyu brisket really better for smoking? Like, isn't the big thing with a low and slow brisket turning all the tough bits into gelatin? If the beast was coddled the way wagyu is are it's tendons and connective bits going to be as developed?

Yes it's fatty as all get out, which seems good burnt ends, but otherwise I would think the ideal application for a wagyu brisket would be hamburgers or something else where the fat is a key part of the profile.

Not sure, but a particularly fibrous cut of brisket is going to take longer to breakdown, potentially drying out. Or that's how the logic goes in my head.

I am ordering a billows. Does anyone know off the cuff what adapter is recommended for a 22" WSM? Im going to do a pork butt and don't want to have to baby it at night.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Not sure, but a particularly fibrous cut of brisket is going to take longer to breakdown, potentially drying out. Or that's how the logic goes in my head.

I am ordering a billows. Does anyone know off the cuff what adapter is recommended for a 22" WSM? Im going to do a pork butt and don't want to have to baby it at night.

You shouldn't need an adapter. The spring should go through a vent hole and pull it tight. If it doesn't come with any, you might want to get some aluminum tape to cover the other two holes on the vent.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Eh. That sounds like more work than I feel like doing, honestly. Maybe I'll just buy the biggest basic Weber charcoal grill I can find and do my charcoal smoking on that thing, would be cheap

I made mine with a used oil barrel. Rinsed and scrubbed with simple green then burned out, then painted the exterior with high temp spray paint. It's ugly as poo poo but holds steady temperature and makes good BBQ. I bought a cheapo 22" Weber style grill from Walmart for the grate and the lid. Everything else is hardware store or stuff I had laying around. I have maybe 100$ into it not including the PID fan controller.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I wouldn’t mind me some Memphis heat, my toddler son probably wouldn’t go for it though. Might give that a try and tweak it a bit.

Out of curiosity, what made you sub in the maple syrup for the sugar?

Quite simply that I discovered that I LOVE the darkest, most strong maple syrup you can get, and I sub it for pretty much anything not requiring granulated sweetener. Just tastes amazing with meat.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Quite simply that I discovered that I LOVE the darkest, most strong maple syrup you can get, and I sub it for pretty much anything not requiring granulated sweetener. Just tastes amazing with meat.

Well it really goes great on salmon. If you eat salmon. Probably not the healthiest way to serve salmon but man is that delicious. Can’t believe I never thought of putting it on red meat before

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Well it really goes great on salmon. If you eat salmon. Probably not the healthiest way to serve salmon but man is that delicious. Can’t believe I never thought of putting it on red meat before

I have this on auto reorder ever few months
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBH0N3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it in bacon cure as well.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 30, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother got an RT-590 grill and is smoking some pork butt today

I just so happened to bring home some chicken breasts so I tossed that poo poo in

I cut them up and tossed on some hawaiin rolls and oh my :swoon:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cut them too big this time, but it's impossible to make these taste bad. Gonna vac seal then sous vide reheat on the 4th along side a brisket flat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Enos Cabell posted:

Cut them too big this time, but it's impossible to make these taste bad. Gonna vac seal then sous vide reheat on the 4th along side a brisket flat.

Masterful

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've got big plans for tomorrow.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

um excuse me posted:

I've got big plans for tomorrow.

Mind sharing ;)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
3 picnic shoulders, 4 racks of ribs, and 15 pounds of pork belly burnt ends. I've taken orders from 4 different households. Things are going to get silly tomorrow.

Still working, but the ribs grew to 5 racks somehow.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 2, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh I’m trying to build out an outdoor cooking tote via an Amazon list for ideas of poo poo to get, but I know I said something to my wife last weekend, “Oooh yeah I need to get that, don’t let me forget!”

Well she forgot and so did I.

Basically I want a tote like a big tackle box almost, to hold utensils and rubs and supplies for grilling and smoking, and right now all I can figure is a new set of grilling tools, a couple more probes, I’ll throw my grilling gloves in there and my burger form, a couple condiment squeeze bottles, and a set of spice shakers I plan on labeling with different homemade rubs and seasonings I want to do. Also don’t wanna forget butcher paper. I need to keep all those rubs and stuff out of the cabinet where they take up space, and it will also help to have everything in one place. Ok maybe the condiment squeeze bottles aren’t needed unless I put BBQ sauce in them?

Anyway, anyone know where I can find something comparable to this? Or has anyone used it and could tell me their experience?

Blackstone Store & Serve

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I've used this for tools, but has been so helpful in the way it's partitioned I see no reason you couldn't use it for a grilling tackle box. Even opens like one!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755WC5LG/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
D-d-double post!

I-is this what I've been missing for 3 years? I slept through the night and didn't get up once!

These controllers are a godsend, though Thermoworks needs to set it up so the Signals is merely the data collector and it has a multiplexer that just lets you have 16 channels. It would be neat to have an ambient probe and maybe two more MEAT channels.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

um excuse me posted:

So I've used this for tools, but has been so helpful in the way it's partitioned I see no reason you couldn't use it for a grilling tackle box. Even opens like one!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755WC5LG/

Aw yiss. If it fits all my poo poo I’m down. I’m also heavily considering a prep table for outside, but have to get the patio bug-free first. I’m thinking I’d keep the bbq cart outside with it, but boy would it get yucky fast

um excuse me posted:

D-d-double post!

I-is this what I've been missing for 3 years? I slept through the night and didn't get up once!

These controllers are a godsend, though Thermoworks needs to set it up so the Signals is merely the data collector and it has a multiplexer that just lets you have 16 channels. It would be neat to have an ambient probe and maybe two more MEAT channels.

It’s multi-probe right? That thing looks awesome. I’d love to get one of those but I think I should probably step up my game—I’m small-time right now, one thing at a time, and I need to start charcoal smoking before I look at spending that kinda money.

Now I feel kinda cheated with the Weber Bluetooth probe

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

um excuse me posted:

D-d-double post!

Man I'm jealous. I want one but it just feels weird to buy one considering I'm only on a WSM 14. Just finished a 15-pound Prime packer I started last night. Finished in 11 hours instead of the 15-17 I was expecting because my temp jumped to 300 while I was sleeping. Hopefully the flat's not too dry!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Man I'm jealous. I want one but it just feels weird to buy one considering I'm only on a WSM 14. Just finished a 15-pound Prime packer I started last night. Finished in 11 hours instead of the 15-17 I was expecting because my temp jumped to 300 while I was sleeping. Hopefully the flat's not too dry!

Holy poo poo. Hopefully the far kind of kept the flat a little more moist since you smoked the whole packer

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It'll be fine, I routinely do my whole brisket at 300. Worst case though chop it up and mix it was sauce or beans.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

Well theyre not made for any specific grill. You can always get one and upgrade the grill later when you outgrow it and put it on the new grill. Plus the sooner you buy it the longer you can enjoy it.

Update:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Turned out pretty good. I'm never doing just a flat by itself again if I can help it. The fat from the point really takes it to another level. (Plus allows me to chop up the dry bits on the end and throw a bunch of extra fat in there with some sauce. Yum.)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Turned out pretty good. I'm never doing just a flat by itself again if I can help it. The fat from the point really takes it to another level. (Plus allows me to chop up the dry bits on the end and throw a bunch of extra fat in there with some sauce. Yum.)

This right here is why I want a charcoal grill just to indirect-heat slow smoke a whole packer. The last time I did a flat by itself I was really disappointed in the dryness and it feels like the point would give a small margin of error what with the extra fat.

Anyway, taking my pork butt out of the time after bath in about an hour and a half, could let it go longer I guess, since it only needs 2.5hrs max in the smoker and we are eating around 6:30–and I wouldn’t need to rest it, right? If I pull it out at 1pm like I plan on, it’ll be 18 hours and it can go as long as 24 in the water bath

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Chad Sexington posted:

when you trim the flat how much fat do you leave on?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I trim to about a 1/4 inch or less if I am physically able to do that, usually my carving abilities are the limiting factor. Not much of the fat on the outside renders so unless you like chewing on it when you eat it, cut it off.

Also I’ve done an entire brisket at 325. Came out just as juicy as 250. Don’t let temperature purists make you feel bad if your temp isn’t super stable!!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m not a temperature purist—admittedly my “holy poo poo” comment was mainly borne of ignorance

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Oh you’re good. I’m mainly referring to people on most smoking forums that insist if you cook one degree above or below 225, you’re ruining your meat.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

They probably just copied HeaterMeter which has had just 4 probes since day one. :colbert:

But yeah, automatic controllers are the easy mode of BBQ. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night, I don't even check my phone and just assume it's all going fine because it has been for over a decade now. The only thing that can go wrong is I didn't put enough charcoal in, and that usually won't happen until the daylight hours anyway.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've gotten consistent results smoking meat in my wood fired oven now after a lot of experimentation. I've done some tri-tip, brisket, dino ribs, and I think I also did pork butt once. I don't know how much the thread cares about it since I've gotten hassled a lot about even trying to do this in the past for some strange reason, but I figured I'd share what I figured out.

The wood-fired oven is built out of type-II firebrick with insulation and stucco for the finish. The door is also insulated. What is peculiar about this one I made is that it's more like a "keyhole" design with a larger, cylindrical entrance that leads into a dome further bake. So it's much deeper than the first one I built that was a traditional dome with the mouth cut into the circular profile. I did this so I would have two cooking zones and it's been pretty good for that. In the future, I don't know if I would instead just make a bigger oven. I had been talked out because the dome's already 42" around but if I could make myself a front cooking zone in a 48" oven, I could then reach everything much better.

The problem I had with smoking in it was primarily trying to get any kind of smoke flavor at all. I could have some coals left over that I fed some fresh wood for flavor and then put some meat down on the other side of the dome. What I'd get would be almost like I was running it in a crock pot. No smoke flavor. Also, whatever was looking at the fire was liable to get burnt. So I was trying to figure out if I could get something almost like an ammo can full of water between the fire and the meat, but I couldn't find anything robust that I could manipulate at the far reach of the tools I have. Remember, this oven is kind of deep.

I had also tried more and more intense methods of producing smoke to the point that I would up raw, unprocessed mesquite chunks that were making GBS threads puffy white smoke out the flue. Even that wouldn't hit the meat.

I eventually found a big convection current going along the roof of the first chamber out the flue on top. So I just prop the meat up into the current and get exactly what I wanted. The only other thing I have found is I seem to need to run hotter than I would expect. I'm in the 300-400F range where the meat is versus 250-325F. Everything I did in that range just comes out dry. Come to think of it, I've had similar problems in a Weber kettle using a Slow and Sear. I wonder if it had to do with drying out or something. The one thing I didn't yet try with that is having a water pan in the back and that's because I can't readily reach it once I have all the meat and stuff in front. The Slow and Sear had that and I would still get kind of dry, so it might be moot.

I do want something I can put on my hose to mist or fill the inner chamber (mist for steaming for bread) that won't just melt from the heat, but it's not really killing me to have that right now.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've gotten consistent results smoking meat in my wood fired oven now after a lot of experimentation. I've done some tri-tip, brisket, dino ribs, and I think I also did pork butt once. I don't know how much the thread cares about it since I've gotten hassled a lot about even trying to do this in the past for some strange reason, but I figured I'd share what I figured out.

The wood-fired oven is built out of type-II firebrick with insulation and stucco for the finish. The door is also insulated. What is peculiar about this one I made is that it's more like a "keyhole" design with a larger, cylindrical entrance that leads into a dome further bake. So it's much deeper than the first one I built that was a traditional dome with the mouth cut into the circular profile. I did this so I would have two cooking zones and it's been pretty good for that. In the future, I don't know if I would instead just make a bigger oven. I had been talked out because the dome's already 42" around but if I could make myself a front cooking zone in a 48" oven, I could then reach everything much better.

The problem I had with smoking in it was primarily trying to get any kind of smoke flavor at all. I could have some coals left over that I fed some fresh wood for flavor and then put some meat down on the other side of the dome. What I'd get would be almost like I was running it in a crock pot. No smoke flavor. Also, whatever was looking at the fire was liable to get burnt. So I was trying to figure out if I could get something almost like an ammo can full of water between the fire and the meat, but I couldn't find anything robust that I could manipulate at the far reach of the tools I have. Remember, this oven is kind of deep.

I had also tried more and more intense methods of producing smoke to the point that I would up raw, unprocessed mesquite chunks that were making GBS threads puffy white smoke out the flue. Even that wouldn't hit the meat.

I eventually found a big convection current going along the roof of the first chamber out the flue on top. So I just prop the meat up into the current and get exactly what I wanted. The only other thing I have found is I seem to need to run hotter than I would expect. I'm in the 300-400F range where the meat is versus 250-325F. Everything I did in that range just comes out dry. Come to think of it, I've had similar problems in a Weber kettle using a Slow and Sear. I wonder if it had to do with drying out or something. The one thing I didn't yet try with that is having a water pan in the back and that's because I can't readily reach it once I have all the meat and stuff in front. The Slow and Sear had that and I would still get kind of dry, so it might be moot.

I do want something I can put on my hose to mist or fill the inner chamber (mist for steaming for bread) that won't just melt from the heat, but it's not really killing me to have that right now.

Share some pics of your setup pls

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Your oven is not designed to smoke. Its a pizza oven. It gets HOT with notes of wood flavor. A smoker has the heat and smoke come from below the product you are smoking in a low and slow fashion. 225 to 275F. If your are burning wood at the same level the product is, then all the smoke skips the meat and goes out the chimeny.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 4, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Brisket is coming along nicely. Put it on at 9:30 last night, and it was just starting the stall around 6am. Wrapped it in butcher paper at 160 and put it back on until it hits 203.

Hardly used any fuel overnight too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Bob A Feet posted:

Oh you’re good. I’m mainly referring to people on most smoking forums that insist if you cook one degree above or below 225, you’re ruining your meat.

Can we agree that doing a brisket at 325 is a bit... bad? Juicy is not the only thing aimed for.