Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rarity posted:

PAC's only 34, is one of those guys who is into wrestling as an art and spent 18 months of his career being stuck at home not being able to wrestle. I doubt he hangs up the boots yet. He must really want to prove he can be the main champ in a big company

Pac is a weird dude (in terms of wrestlers) who likes being at home, living quietly and didn't mind sitting at home and just getting a normal job if he had to. I don't know if he's saved enough at this point which is why I think he at least does one more contract, but I don't think he's going to wrestle at 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

blunt posted:

I could definitely see a bidding war for Britt when her contract is up, assuming Adam Cole hasn't been Khan'd by then.

I think Cole to AEW is way more likely considering he’s been held back from the main roster and seeing his reaction to Breeze being released

As people mentioned I think the most likely moves are lower card tag teams and women who haven’t had as much of a shot in the spotlight. Private Party I think was a good guess. I could also see someone like Big Swole going over unless Cedric goes to AEW.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 2, 2021

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Can't wait for MJF to jump ship to WWE, get renamed to like "Maxxie Felcher" or something, get over despite that on NXT and then get called up to get pinned by Jaxson Ryker on Main Event every week for 3 straight years.

Anyway JR has literally always gotten names wrong and that doesn't bother me nearly as much as when he starts getting pissy about being corrected or when he sees something he doesn't like on the show which feels like most of it by this point.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

MJeff posted:

Private Party, I could definitely see, particular because uh, after two years, I haven't seen a terrible amount of growth from them and I dunno what their ceiling even is in AEW right now.

I cannot imagine how you can see HOF Private Party and say that they haven't grown a ton. Their ringwork is tighter, their character work is better, they've grown and flourished since joining up with Matt Hardy. As far as them jumping ship, they're working with their idol who, as it happens, left the WWE well behind and sure seems like he'd advise anyone who would listen to not go there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dacap posted:

I think Cole to AEW is way more likely considering he’s been held back from the main roster and seeing his reaction to Breeze being released

Unfortunately Cole is already dead in Elite continuity

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MJeff posted:

Nah, we're at the point where Andrade (and probably Samuray) are actively warning all their lucha buddies away from WWE. Plus, yeah, the boutique you mentioned.

Private Party, I could definitely see, particular because uh, after two years, I haven't seen a terrible amount of growth from them and I dunno what their ceiling even is in AEW right now. Wasn't Bowens already at the PC, though?

Bowens has done some NXT tapings and got hosed up by AOP, I think he’s one of those guys who had a contract all written up but it got lost under someone else’s paperwork and they forgot to actually sign him.

For Private Party, I think the heel turn has done them a world of good to at least start working on incorporating more character work into their matches and presentation.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Rarity posted:

Unfortunately Cole is already dead in Elite continuity

Yes, but what about Adam Baker?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if TH2 would go to AEW given how they’ve been used so sparingly.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If PAC retires I hope he gets a role as a recurring MCU villain or something. He doesn't even have to be a Marvel character, I'd buy PAC fighting Captain America any day of the week

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, Private Party have grown hugely, they're way more fluid in the ring, and their character work is there

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

With the number of ex-WWE folks in AEW now at various levels of the company, I don't think anyone notable or with sense would hop from AEW to WWE. There's far too many people to heavily advise them against it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TV Zombie posted:

I cannot imagine a world where WWE is offering Jack Evans money.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

neoaxd posted:

Jericho yelling "that guy in the corn shirt loves it!" easily cements this episode of wwe dynamite as a top 5.

the last episode was the first aew stuff i ever watched and that line and a few others got some legit big laughs out of me and i realized its been a really long time since i ever laughed at anything the commentators said on a wrestling show

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Bowens has done some NXT tapings and got hosed up by AOP, I think he’s one of those guys who had a contract all written up but it got lost under someone else’s paperwork and they forgot to actually sign him.

For Private Party, I think the heel turn has done them a world of good to at least start working on incorporating more character work into their matches and presentation.

That's fuckin' right, Bowens is the dude who got murdered by the wine glass power bomb when they would literally just dump the dudes on top of each other. God, early AoP was rough.

rantmo posted:

I cannot imagine how you can see HOF Private Party and say that they haven't grown a ton. Their ringwork is tighter, their character work is better, they've grown and flourished since joining up with Matt Hardy. As far as them jumping ship, they're working with their idol who, as it happens, left the WWE well behind and sure seems like he'd advise anyone who would listen to not go there.

I guess? When they had that match with the Young Bucks I thought they were a foundational piece of the division and two years later, I just don't see them as anything more than one of the three teams Matt Hardy has as henchmen. I can't even imagine them being ranked, muchless being at the top of the tag team division or contending for the championship the way I can Death Triangle, Varsity Blondes, Acclaimed, FTR, PnP, either Dark Order team, etc.

TV Zombie posted:

TH2 has been very upfront that AEW has been right to slow-play them and they weren't in ring shape and weren't pitching enough ideas, plus, they've been very superlative towards Tony paying them during the pandemic when they couldn't make tapings. Or, at least one of them has, dunno which one. But they seem very happy in AEW, last I heard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Evil Badman posted:

With the number of ex-WWE folks in AEW now at various levels of the company, I don't think anyone notable or with sense would hop from AEW to WWE. There's far too many people to heavily advise them against it.

I hope so, just so we can see WWE stans have meltdown, accusing AEW of "Contract Tampering", by advising them not to go to WWE

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Andrade was literally telling other latinos not to sign with WWE while he was still there, so, yeah, that's how that's going.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I imagine WWE will promise Jungle Boy and MJF the world, it’s just a matter of whether or not they buy into the bullshit.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
AEW is fortunate that, by default, everyone who signed when the company was formed are people who didn't sign with WWE when the company was in peak talent-hoarding, competition-crushing mode, and those reasons for not being signed mostly haven't gone away since 2019.

Guys like Darby and Jungle Boy have talked about how, even if WWE was interested, they know they'd be booked like poo poo for being small. Every tag team would be in an afterthought of a division. Britt wants the freedom to run a dental practice. MJF would be scripted. Most of the WWE refugees wanted out in pursuit of creative fulfillment, and a handful of people who never signed have a chip on their shoulder about their experience with the company anyway (Kingston, Wardlow, Bowens, Starks, Hobbs). Sammy has the size thing and also...an unfortunate history involving one of the top names in WWE.

Obviously having a higher profile — and getting paid accordingly — could change the dynamics and lure one of those people away. But there's really not a ton of people who I would immediately say "Oh, yeah, they seem like a good match with WWE from both sides' perspectives." Eyeballing the men's roster, the people who caught my attention were Hangman, Cage, Jericho, Hager, Archer, and Scorpio Sky. (And even among that group, a quick google turns up Jericho saying he won't ever go back, Hangman saying signing with WWE didn't feel right in 2019 and Cage/Hager/Archer saying negative things about their WWE experience. Plus Tony would absolutely ask for an advance on his inheritance if there was any risk of Hangman signing elsewhere.)

The women's division is more ripe for the picking, and it's probably the place where WWE is the most alluring alternative in terms of at least having big names to work with. They're not really "big names" anymore, but I could see someone like Swole or Penelope moving over because they've kinda been lost in the shuffle, although the Swole household might not have the most positive experience with WWE as an employer. Maybe they back up the truck to poach Anna Jay or Jade, although Jade had a WWE tryout and didn't end up there for whatever reason.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Private Party are currently less over and in a less important spot while also becoming much better wrestlers over the last 2 years. But that's also a really easy problem to fix and at this point I'm not going to work about AEW's ability to get someone over when if they've been kept on the side for a bit.

The tag division is also really odd right now with the focus on the bucks. It's not bad but it's very different from what they were doing before they had tag champs and the time right after SCU won.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

Sammy has the size thing and also...an unfortunate history involving one of the top names in WWE.

Also, he can't forward roll worth a poo poo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
AEW's tag division is just stupid stacked. Private Party are young and they're featured weekly at this point even if just to do stuff with Matt. I will admit I would've liked to see them spend more time on Impact. That show just frankly has more space for people to get TV time, reps in the ring, and they could pretty quickly be the tag champs without much fuss I'd say. Like do I love PP? Yeah. But I also love Santana and Ortiz, FTR, Jurassic Express, Death Triangle, Best Friends, The Acclaimed (yes I said it), and I'm absolutely forgetting some names.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

AEW's tag division is just stupid stacked. Private Party are young and they're featured weekly at this point even if just to do stuff with Matt. I will admit I would've liked to see them spend more time on Impact. That show just frankly has more space for people to get TV time, reps in the ring, and they could pretty quickly be the tag champs without much fuss I'd say. Like do I love PP? Yeah. But I also love Santana and Ortiz, FTR, Jurassic Express, Death Triangle, Best Friends, The Acclaimed (yes I said it), and I'm absolutely forgetting some names.

Everybody loves The Acclaimed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be good if people had leverage during contract negotiations by having alternatives.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
AEW doesn't have a single bad tag team, and that is insanely rare. PP will get their moment in the sun, and might even carry the division eventually.

We haven't even talked about Top Flight, who are obscenely good for their age.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dave Star Ratings:

Kenny vs. Jungle Boy: 4.5

Penta & Eddie vs. The Young Bucks: 4.25

MJF vs. Sammy: 4.5 (says it probably would've been MOTYC/gotten 5 with a different finish and Sammy winning)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

AEW doesn't have a single bad tag team, and that is insanely rare. PP will get their moment in the sun, and might even carry the division eventually.

We haven't even talked about Top Flight, who are obscenely good for their age.

Janela and Kiss is a bad, bad team.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would assume the powers that be are still relatively high on Private Party and just know that, given the depth of the division, they can get away with keeping a young team in a holding pattern for the foreseeable future. They've got an easy-made insta-push whenever you want; just turn face, kick Matt Hardy's rear end and go back to doing cool moves.

The only real impediment I see to Private Party's success is if the company is now more into Top Flight as The Young, Dynamic Team With A Connection To The Young Bucks, but por que no los dos

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TH2 would have to stop smoking weed in WWE so it's ridiculous to think that they would even consider it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Dave Star Ratings:

MJF vs. Sammy: 4.5 (says it probably would've been MOTYC/gotten 5 with a different finish and Sammy winning)

That reasoning from Dave is a good example of how silly and subjective the star ratings are. Knocked off half a star because the match is the midpoint in a story.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Dave Star Ratings:

More like it'd have been 5 if this was the first interference finish in, let's say, two months, rather than the fourteenth in the last couple weeks.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I think the finish they did really, genuinely was the right finish for that match in a vacuum. I hope the negative response to it has given AEW a bit of a lesson about how much they're overdoing this stuff.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

MJeff posted:

I guess? When they had that match with the Young Bucks I thought they were a foundational piece of the division and two years later, I just don't see them as anything more than one of the three teams Matt Hardy has as henchmen. I can't even imagine them being ranked, muchless being at the top of the tag team division or contending for the championship the way I can Death Triangle, Varsity Blondes, Acclaimed, FTR, PnP, either Dark Order team, etc.

That's fair enough though I think that's more an indication of their place in the narrative rather than their growth as performers. Personally, I can imagine them getting a run for the belts, even a brief time holding them through HFO fuckery. Even without that, they're still pretty prominent and getting plenty of screen time, which in a division as absurdly loving jam-packed with talent, is still to their benefit.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Private Party is really cool but they haven't been ready to carry the top of a division that's stacked as hell over the last two years. I think it's coming soon, though. they've been very good since turning heel and falling under matt Hardy's spell

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Also WWE wanted to sign Max last year but he turned them down and now he's with Bowens in a successful tag team I imagine that would keep him from swaying

xbilkis posted:

The only real impediment I see to Private Party's success is if the company is now more into Top Flight as The Young, Dynamic Team With A Connection To The Young Bucks, but por que no los dos

I don't think this is an either-or situation, the great thing here is Private Party and Top Flight can draw so many parallels with each other that they'll likely be one of those long-standing rivalries that will always be bouncing off each other to some degree

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

That reasoning from Dave is a good example of how silly and subjective the star ratings are. Knocked off half a star because the match is the midpoint in a story.

Outside interference is rarely a satisfying finish and I thought MJF/Sammy suffered for it. Something can be a fine story beat while not being fantastic in terms of match construction.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MJeff posted:

I hope the negative response to it has given AEW a bit of a lesson about how much they're overdoing this stuff.

Busting out a brave take: It's time for AEW to have a DQ finish on Dynamite.

(I actually don't care about the way they've been doing interference stuff, or rules in general, but I can see how inundating the viewer with it would numb people to the experience. Right now, as a viewer I'm personally like "of course people are gonna run in, they want to help their friends," so if you want to suddenly tone it down then you need to give a reason why things have changed. The legitimate fear of losing a match could do the trick, and I don't think has to be a lame wet fart finish, especially if the cheating heel treats it like a big deal that they've lost.)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Omega was feeling a lot better and you could tell in the Jungle Boy match. The biggest issue was an athletic hernia and stem cell treatment and PRP therapy have helped a lot. He said it wasn’t night and day, but he felt it made a world of difference.

Glad Kenny is feeling better.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't want a DQ, but I would be behind there being a massive penalty for a run in so there's reason to have people decide to put an end to it. I'm projecting my vision to Omega/Hangman and it's got The Elite and Dark Order running around at ringside and they just don't need that. I was thrilled the Jungle Boy match had little in the way of it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

The secret to good JR involves promoting Godzilla vs KongFRUITY FRUITY DELICIOUS BAH GOD THEY'RE FRUITY SKITTLES every week

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Outside interference is rarely a satisfying finish and I thought MJF/Sammy suffered for it. Something can be a fine story beat while not being fantastic in terms of match construction.

Yeah but a satisfying doesn't necessarily equal good in criticism. Dave's criticism is very arbitrary, which isn't a bad thing it just is, and his reasoning is a good example of that. Which again isn't bad but does make it funny when people get really upset about bad star ratings because one guy didn't like the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dave's right, Sammy should have won