Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Things I learned this week:

- I can fold my reproductive organs up and away from the seat and the chamois will hold the goods. Suffering less
- Tipping over is a pure "god damnit" in slow motion feel, and instinctively breaking the fall with my hand was the biggest mistake
- I go numb in the feet from weight distribution, not tight shoes
- Being mindful of weight distribution in my current weakling form really adds to the workout, and keeping my weight (mostly) on the seat gives my core a good spankin

edit: also... apple watch and zwift do not play well together, at all

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
it may have been a bad idea to ride through a place called “hell’s canyon” on the hottest day of all time. Pissing toxic orange even with 400oz of fluids

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Hmmyes, genital origami.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Careful you don’t fold it back too far and gently caress yourself.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

“Pounded in my own Assos by Brooks after genital origami” the newest Chuck Tingle book, out now

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bicycle Megathread 5: I can fold my reproductive organs up and away

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

kimbo305 posted:

Are the turns kinda boring at bike speeds as I suspect?
I've only done walkthroughs at two road courses, and neither seemed wide enough to offer that much fun, especially in a mixed 'category' ride.

Turns 1, 10, 11, 12, 15 and 19 are pretty fun with varying degrees. Some more downhill than others.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Didn't hit my goal of 700mi for the month (chosen completely at random) but I bested May's 621 miles at least. Also pretty proud of only taking 5 days off :)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Objurium posted:

Didn't hit my goal of 700mi for the month (chosen completely at random) but I bested May's 621 miles at least. Also pretty proud of only taking 5 days off :)

Good month

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

MetaJew posted:

It's a fun time, imo. Turn 1 is brutal and I'm not in peak performance shape, so in the lowest gearing on my 11-32t I still felt like I ran out of gears and had to grind up. One lap I stopped midway to catch my breath. The hill right after turn one is fast and I hit about 37 mph which is a lot of fun.

Yeah you're dodging some slower riders, and then you got the guys in the full carbon TRI/aero bikes that look a little silly but I'm not complaining. Drafting people on the back straight is also fun.

I've done several motorcycle track days there and you really don't realize just how many uphill sections the course has until you're on a push bike.

If you're in Austin on a Tuesday night in the spring/summer I recommend it.

Yeah, rim brakes. (If my group set is Shimano 105, 11 speed does that imply that my brakes are also "105"?)

I thought I had seated it appropriately which was why I was so weirded out.

Edit: pics

Turn 1 early in the night and later as more people arrived

I’ve been wanting to do this, but I have a 1x gravel bike, so I’m worried I would be completely out of place and a bit of a drag. Is there enough casual or slower riders there where I wouldn’t feel like a complete knob showing up?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Korwen posted:

I’ve been wanting to do this, but I have a 1x gravel bike, so I’m worried I would be completely out of place and a bit of a drag. Is there enough casual or slower riders there where I wouldn’t feel like a complete knob showing up?

Yes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would imagine the real problem would be slow riders thinking they would be faster than they are and being in the wrong position on track.

Reminds me of that thing Tom Cruise said - he thought he was a truly great driver, then when he ended up on the same track as actual pros while filming Days of Thunder he realised incredibly quickly that not only did he suck, but that the speed differential was dangerous to everyone.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Korwen posted:

Yes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Korwen posted:

Just keep your wits about you so if you go into a corner you're not going to be on the apex when the 'fast bois™' come through you'll be fine. You 100% will not be the slowest rider there and race tracks are legit the safest places to ride.

Also Sunday Club will be shutting down at the end of this month. Thank you to everyone who bought something last month when I mentioned I was closing it. The changes to European tax reporting from today mean its going to cost me even more to keep it going so I might as well just bite the bullet now. If anyone still wants one in Europe please PM me first. Rest of the world is absolutely fine.

Cheers to you all and if you've got one of my kits, its probably one of the rarest in the world!

Thanks Goons!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Time posted:

Slacked off this month

what the gently caress

do you get paid to ride bikes

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

serious gaylord posted:

I did a team time trial at Silverstone which ended up a mess as even if we were starting off at minute intervals its laps, so you had 35mph bois blasting past old codgers doing it for charity.

I've done a few trips to goodwood too and thats a worse setup. Just everyone on the track at the same time for a free for all.

I hear of people running the road marathon at Silverstone and, speaking as a both a member of AI and as a runner, I cannot imagine anything more dull than grinding your way around a flat and blustery Silverstone on two feet at 6mph.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
200km ride in the books and I hurt basically everywhere.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BraveUlysses posted:

what the gently caress

Seriously, 5 hours per day average is quite impressive.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
A friend of mine wakes up every morning at 4am and does a 100k.

His daily ride has 8k ft of climbing in it and I'm pretty sure he owns the local legend for a lot of the climbs around here.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I feel like that cannot be good for your heart...

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'm lucky if I have 5 hours a week, and that's not consistent week to week either. Wow.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

BraveUlysses posted:

what the gently caress

only if we count taking PTO to do a 6,000 mile bike trip. I went from Boston to Oregon and now I’m headed to Mexico along the coast. Bikes are so good and I am very lucky to have the opportunity.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

simmyb posted:

I feel like that cannot be good for your heart...

I feel like you’re wrong

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time posted:

only if we count taking PTO to do a 6,000 mile bike trip. I went from Boston to Oregon and now I’m headed to Mexico along the coast. Bikes are so good and I am very lucky to have the opportunity.

This rules, OP.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Time posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that I dream about at night only to wake up and realize how old and out of shape I am. I’d love to do some touring at some point.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I did 380km bike tour a few weeks ago along the Caledonian way in Scotland which is rad. I'm incredibly jealous of someone getting to ride bikes for months!

I hope to do a 3 week off road tour soonish though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Time posted:

yah that's cool as hell

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I ordered some fenders last month and the website said they ship July 1st, so I could pre order.

So I just called them, and asked if the fenders were going to ship, they said "no! July 1st is the date they were going to ship from Taiwan, once we get them here in 3-6 weeks, we can ship them to you".

Awesome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Add 3-4 weeks to that estimate. Freight isn't leaving Taiwan on time right now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hekk posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that I dream about at night only to wake up and realize how old and out of shape I am. I’d love to do some touring at some point.

Reserve the vacation time and don't worry about the rest. I mean, worry a little, but it's very worth it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I ended up buying a dirt second cheap second hand MTB to keep minicurve’s 14” frame MTB alive because it was easier to cannibalise that than find even low end stuff.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

serious gaylord posted:

Add 3-4 weeks to that estimate. Freight isn't leaving Taiwan on time right now.

Gotta wait three months for some copper colored fenders.

The aesthetics are what matters - so I'll wait. While looking for fenders, I came across the Honjo brand, which seems very cool, if super expensive.

If I need to spend $200 on some amazing looking fenders, I'll know where to go. https://www.sim.works/collections/fenders-simworks-by-honjo

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I made it

Everything hurts. Part of that is because I was deliberately hit by a van yesterday. He swerved into me and clipped me with his mirror and I went down, luckily I was on a climb so the speed was low. Very swollen elbow and bruised hip from that, I will get it x rayed tomorrow now I’m finished. Made today very painful but it’s finished now!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That rules except for how it ended. Congrats and I hope it doesn't put you off riding. Also I hope they catch the creep that did that to you.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I made it

Everything hurts. Part of that is because I was deliberately hit by a van yesterday. He swerved into me and clipped me with his mirror and I went down, luckily I was on a climb so the speed was low. Very swollen elbow and bruised hip from that, I will get it x rayed tomorrow now I’m finished. Made today very painful but it’s finished now!

Well done but jesus Christ!! Did you call the police?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sab0921 posted:

Gotta wait three months for some copper colored fenders.

The aesthetics are what matters - so I'll wait. While looking for fenders, I came across the Honjo brand, which seems very cool, if super expensive.

If I need to spend $200 on some amazing looking fenders, I'll know where to go. https://www.sim.works/collections/fenders-simworks-by-honjo

For a slightly more budget option, check out https://handsomecycles.com/collections/fenders-fender-parts
Not sure if the width'll cut it for you. I've always been pretty aggressive with tire:fender width ratio.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Howdy folks. I got referred here from another subforum and hope I can bug you with some stationary biking, pedal, and shoe questions. The most urgent question is about the shoes.

I only stationary bike because I have a significant leg disability. (Unsp. Motor Neuron Disease) My ankles don't work very well and I have muscle atrophy below the knee. Physical therapy was almost impossible for me, until I got creative. I bought a lovely stationary bike, clip in SPD pedals, and the cheapest SPD bike cleats I could find. Using that setup, I can bike my rear end off.

I'm a couple days away from having biked 700 days in a row, never dipping below a half hour and averaging something like 66 minutes. I've biked through everything and will not stop until I'm injured. :derptiel:

With all that out of the way, I've outgrown my equipment. So I've got some questions -

- Exercise Bike - I bought a $139 "spin" style exercise bike off Amazon. It's falling apart, but it's given me 698 days in a row of busting my rear end. I'm 5'11 and 170 pounds, but weighed 218 when I started this venture. With that said, I'm fairly broad shouldered.

This exercise bike is too small for me. I also don't give two shits about the computer, because I use an Apple Watch for all of that. All I want is something that will hold up that fits a large framed 5'11 guy. I'd pay upwards of $1k if needed.

- Pedals - I use SPD pedals I put on myself. The cheapest. They work just fine. But I see something called a Delta Clip. Is there a good reason to consider changing from SPD to Delta?

- Shoes - This is the big question. I'm a size thirteen with a AAA heel. My feet have atrophied a little and are very skinny. But most biking shoes only go up to size twelve. The cleats are coming off the right shoe no matter how much I tighten them. With my foot size and daily indoor use, what's a good shoe? Again, I'm willing to pay for something that will hold up, but it doesn't need to be particularly rugged.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any advice. I've learned to trust goons more than salespeople, so any input is well valued.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Well done but jesus Christ!! Did you call the police?

Driver did a runner and my buddy couldn’t catch him, but he flagged people down coming the other way asking if they had a dash cam and one of them offered to chase the van driver down. We got a photo of the plate, couldn’t get through to the police but reported it online and are waiting for a callback.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

For a slightly more budget option, check out https://handsomecycles.com/collections/fenders-fender-parts
Not sure if the width'll cut it for you. I've always been pretty aggressive with tire:fender width ratio.

This is what I got (the copper colored one) that I posted about earlier with the shipment date being shipment from Taiwan to here. I needed the 45mm width fender so I could have 32 or 38mm tires on there.

Looking forward to having this as the last piece needed to complete my family/wandering bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I made it

Proper tasty post this made even better by the huge 'HIGH RISK ZONE' in the stats.