Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
watching speedrunners parry pontiff over and over is infuriating, that motherfucker killed me so many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I one shot Pontiff my first go but that was with the help of my husbando Anri and the Londor Pale Shade who was totally there for innocent purposes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just somehow managed to figure out how to dodge into his attacks; plus I was using buffed +7 twinblades which chewed him up pretty good

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm unclear. If the PVP meta is at 120, I can go all the way to 130 and still have the entirety of the SL 120 players in range, right?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zesty posted:

I'm unclear. If the PVP meta is at 120, I can go all the way to 130 and still have the entirety of the SL 120 players in range, right?

In theory you should be able to go up to 132 and still invade SL120s. I don't know if the matchmaking prioritizes people closer in level or if it's just a free-for-all though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zesty posted:

Ostensibly, yeah. A lot of people finish their build at a lower level than that though, so staying as close as you can to 120 will give you the optimal amount of potential connections. If you don't mind me critiquing your build I can slim it down for you big time.

Something like this would be far more effective for PVP, plus 10 levels cheaper. 30 ATT saves a whopping 10 levels to be used to max out that VIG, which is much more valuable than 1 more spell slot. The Prisoner's Chain is also basically mandatory on all builds because it's a free 15 levels in crucial stats for basically no downside. The 30% weight 'fast' rolling (ie: far rolling) is basically useless; the extra ~20% absorption from a proper set of armor will help stretch your huge HP even further for when you get hit (you will get hit), although if you reaaaallly want that far roll you can put on some rags or something instead. Also the Longsword is like the best weapon in the game and absolutely worth leveling STR for it over the Shortsword, that extra range and damage really counts. You could also try an Estoc or something too for keepaway strats.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 30, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm not playing for PVP. I'm playing to get all the achievements which requires NG+ and NG++. PVP is just for fun and to get the covenant items. I'm at 11 proofs and that's the last item.

I also don't play for duels. I'm not trading attacks with people. I'm sneaking around with obscuring ring and nuking people down.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Here's the plan for the build. Currently sitting at 119 with 30 ATT and 8 Strength. I could stay at SL 120 with 30 ATT if I don't care much for Soul Stream.

Soul Stream is pretty gimmicky and only works if the target is standing still and doesn't notice you. It might be pretty funny into a group of players, especially because I think Mound-Makers is so much fun. It's easily replaced with something with a little more PVP utility like Homing Soulmass or it's upgrade.

Not sure if Homing Soulmass or Homing Crystal Soulmass is better for PVP. Pretty high FP costs and it's mainly used to force a dodge while you're casting another spell to hit them in their windows of vulnerability, so the cheaper one is probably better.

I had one point left over, so I was thinking 9 strength so I can use the Dragon Crest Shield with the strength ring for some PVE encounters. But I might just drop that point into another point of vitality just in case I missed a weird edge case with ring layout that brings me over 30%. There's already some wiggle room so I can change out the Crown of Dusk with Karla's Hat for bosses/enemies that use magic.

Hidden Body is for PVE, obviously. I can change it out if I know I'm going to PVP, otherwise every other spell has PVP utility. I know it can also pair with the untrue white ring to make yourself look like a random apparition, but that's gimmicky and not reliable.

What you don't see is that I also have Simple AND Blessed Mailbreakers for regen purposes. Just in case I need to back off for a couple. I can pair them with the Simple Caestus I'm already wearing and a Sun Princess ring. I think I'll use my NG+ Caestus for another blessed infusion.

Obscuring Ring is cool but isn't perfect for all zones. It's easily replaced with other rings for whatever the situation calls for.

I like my shortsword. I just came out of my first playthrough which was a Dex/Luck build with Anri's straight sword so I'm pretty comfortable with this. S scaling with INT. It's decent at stunlocking too. It's a backup more than anything. Like I said in the last post, I'm not looking for honorable duels. A longsword also necessitates bringing my vitality up to 17. I can sacrifice 40 ATT for 30 and be at SL-122 with that, I suppose.

I've liked Far-Rolling this run. I've always been interested in trying it and I appreciate not relying on a shield. If I really hate it in NG+(+) then I can alter stats around.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 30, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

very nice build. My specialty is Big sword

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's cool too. This game is really neat in that it allows for people to be super nitpicky or not, depending on their tastes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can do both at once if you use big moon sword

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cavauro posted:

very nice build. My specialty is Big sword

Okay but you could you post a 2000 word essay on your build please thank you

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i am too stupid to do that. But I liked reading that build post. it made me excited to interact in some way even though I only have a big (not huge) sword. Let's do some souls

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Moola posted:

Okay but you could you post a 2000 word essay on your build please thank you

And remember to bold all of your words to really get the point across.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Im just messing with you BTW Zesty. If making huge detailed build notes is how you have fun then go for it

personally I enjoy basing my build on a fashion choice or stupid gimmicks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

aw can you not infuse the grass crest shield?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

And Tyler Too! posted:

And remember to bold all of your words to really get the point across.

Or so it's easy to find specific points so people don't have to read the whole thing. Or so it's easy to go back to reference something. In the steam thread it's very common to bold game names so people can scroll through for relevant content.

Moola posted:

Im just messing with you BTW Zesty. If making huge detailed build notes is how you have fun then go for it

personally I enjoy basing my build on a fashion choice or stupid gimmicks

:gerty:

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

My return playthrough after never finishing at launch has been going great, it's wild how different some of the boss experiences are this time.

I've been running with a regular Heavy Greataxe and got through Abyss Watchers, Wolnir, Demon King and Pontiff all on the first try. I lost track of how many times they all killed me my first time through, but this weapon is ridiculously strong.

I've just put some upgrades into the Fume greatsword that I've never tried, that's going to be a big change after the tiny reach of the greataxe. Smough's hammer seems fun but sure takes up a ton of the screen. Excited to see what new weapons are in the DLC too, once I eventually make it there.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 2, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i posted asking about how common frostbite immunity was but it was really quick and easy to look that up. i'm very sorry. It seems widespread enough that i don't really feel like trying it out in a build as a little pve child

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 2, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well drat I finally farmed my last 20 Concords to get Darkmoon Blade. I'd say 10 of them were obtained through legitimate PVP, 10 from turning up late to gank squads, and the last 10 farmed from Silver Knights.

+10 Dagger, Hornet Ring, Covetous Gold Ring. Scholar Ring so I can cast Hidden Body, Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring so I can get full stealth. Don't fight fair.

I could never quite kill the SKs with a single backstab though, whether with Fire or Sharp infusion. No matter, do a quick wakeup R1 to finsih them off.

Now I gotta kill the Yorshka for the chime, this is going to be the hardest part of the game.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
If you don't have the toast gesture as one of your shortcuts, we can't be friends.

That is to say, what is your post-boss celebration on co-op?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

If you don't have the toast gesture as one of your shortcuts, we can't be friends.

That is to say, what is your post-boss celebration on co-op?

L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
V E R Y
G O O D

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

V E R Y
G O O D

T H A N K
Y O U....

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Something extremely weird happened, I got summoned in as a Spear of the Church when I had Warrior of Sunlight covenant equipped.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I don't care what gender I play as in the game but seeing Anri as a husbando instead of a waifu on streams always weirds me out. Let me choose NPC gender as the game begins, even if it spoils absolutely everything I say

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS3 is lacking a sex change coffin. (And sprinting up/down ladders, a good jump mechanic, bonfire ascetics, lighting sconces etc.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
honestly one of the things I'm most looking forward to in Elden Ring is a jump button

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

axolotl farmer posted:

DS3 is lacking a sex change coffin. (And sprinting up/down ladders, a good jump mechanic, bonfire ascetics, lighting sconces etc.)

DS3 definitely has ladder sprinting. It also has the same jumping as DS2, which is to say it still sucks, like every other From game not named Sekiro

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Why do we have to keep repeating this argument? DS3 doesn't have ladder sprinting, it has "slightly faster up ladder shuffling". DS2 has ladder rear end hauling

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Simply Simon posted:

Why do we have to keep repeating this argument? DS3 doesn't have ladder sprinting, it has "slightly faster up ladder shuffling". DS2 has ladder rear end hauling

DS2 just has a much slower base climbing speed. In DS3 they improved the base speed, but you can still sprint to go faster.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was at 26/30 Proofs and decided just to move onto NG and maybe I'll get them and whatever normal drops there are in the world throughout the run.

I was CONSTANTLY summoned after I switched. I was under the impression which NG you were in didn't have an effect on the player pool for invasions.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Aidan_702 posted:

I don't care what gender I play as in the game but seeing Anri as a husbando instead of a waifu on streams always weirds me out. Let me choose NPC gender as the game begins, even if it spoils absolutely everything I say

just make every videogame character gay imo
no customization

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

axolotl farmer posted:

Rosaria has the coffin hidden in a cupboard somewhere

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

axolotl farmer posted:

It does have that one ring, tho. It's not the same, but a similar idea. Reversal Ring, I mean.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Obscuring Ring is the best.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MinorInsignificantAnkolewatusi-mobile.mp4

To be clear, she was never previously within range of me to know I was back there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phobophilia posted:

Something extremely weird happened, I got summoned in as a Spear of the Church when I had Warrior of Sunlight covenant equipped.

The Church can passively summon anyone doing any kind of online play in the Ringed City. Actually having the banner for it equipped boosts your priority, but you technically don't need it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well it embered me, which I then immediately lost from being invaded.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Church is my favorite PvP faction, though sometimes I get matched vs someone who fingered so they can summon a small army of phantoms. I'm good in PvP, but not 4v1 good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sister Friede feels a lot more attainable at ~level 60 now. I can parry the poo poo out of her first phase but then Gael keeps dying in the second phase like a chump lol. She's really making me work for this fashion :negative: