Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Nah it’s really just only melee augments for procs. Augments proper come in ldon and beyond, but they added these weapon augs that have been classic launch items for awhile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kalas posted:

Nope, those are in right now. Just use find for 'melee augments' in a city.

:stare: I wish I had known this

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Side note but oh my god I love how the level 40 Form of the Great Wolf separates the bonuses from the illusion. So when you lose the illusion zoning you still retain the movement speed, ultravision and the ATK buff.

Such a nice convenience change. Reapplying wolf form every time you zone sucks.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

BGrifter posted:

Side note but oh my god I love how the level 40 Form of the Great Wolf separates the bonuses from the illusion. So when you lose the illusion zoning you still retain the movement speed, ultravision and the ATK buff.

Such a nice convenience change. Reapplying wolf form every time you zone sucks.

You can also go further and block buff the spell ID for the illusion, while still receiving the illusion benefits buff. I would do this for my lich forms because new skele models suck.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Whereas my ogre SK can now use Shroud of Undeath to be tiny instead of holding onto a valuable Guise.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

BGrifter posted:

It’s rapidly making AraduneAuctions worthless.

I was using that website to get a price for the bard imbued breastplate. Based on the less than 2000 WTS bids, I opened with an offer of 2000p. The guy laughed at me and said he wouldn't take anything less than a krono. Either I got a really out of touch buyer, or the AraduneAuctions is definitely worthless for some items.

*Definitely wish the bazaar was already here.

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 1, 2021

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
What if they put bazaar in commonlands until luclin. That'd be awesome.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bahanahab posted:

I was using that website to get a price for the bard imbued breastplate. Based on the less than 2000 WTS bids, I opened with an offer of 2000p. The guy laughed at me and said he wouldn't take anything less than a krono. Either I got a really out of touch buyer, or the AraduneAuctions is definitely worthless for some items.

*Definitely wish the bazaar was already here.

Yeah it seems like a lot of the ugliness on Mischief comes out in EC, which I suppose makes sense. People have wildly differing ideas of what things are worth and it’s not helped along by monkeying with the AraduneAuctions listings. I also wish the Bazaar could have been included at launch, but I did enjoy the plat from playing Taxi with no Nexus at launch so I shouldn’t complain.

It’s unstable out there, but all the usual rules of MMO economies seem to be holding up. When you see lots of buyers, ask more than the last sell price. (I sold three Ring of the Ancients for 400pp each today as an example) When you see buyers or sellers that look wildly out of place, like a bunch of people selling Cloak of Shadows for 30-50pp, don’t get suckered into undercutting the price into the floor. You can list anything and AraduneAuctions will pick it up.

Biggest thing I’ve learned is the price of Krono is never as high as the sellers in EC would have you believe. I think going forward I’ll buy all my Krono through the Auction chat channel cause so many of the sellers in EC are “not really looking to sell but if you want to overpay massively I will” types.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
1 week of 76% bonus exp/faction/rares starts 1st July 00:01 weird American moon-time.

Baconroll fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 1, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sometimes I think what a ridiculous amount of money I could have made selling plat and items if I knew what I know now back in 1999.

Like 80% of people playing the game knew nothing. I remember spending months to get to level 30 when I was like 13 years old.

The people who had poo poo figured out, (not to mention cheating) were probably just raking in $100,000 a year.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I used to group with the guy who ran one of the original popular class forums - He got an offer he couldn't refuse ($20k I think) from one of the commerical plat sellers so sold up.

He was a student at the time so it was a no-brainer to take the money and run.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Life on Mischief continues to be so much fun! I hit 41 Druid tonight and picked up a Lumi Staff so I have that to look forward to at 46. Lumi was one of those items that evaded me back in the day so it’s especially sweet to have one ready. :hellyeah:

Now that I’ve got my ES Vambraces and Lumi Staff the only big must have items left are a Jade Reaver and a Pulsing Green Stone MQ when I’m ready.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got my p99 green server iksar monk up to 32 which means its guard killing time :getin:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RCarr posted:

Sometimes I think what a ridiculous amount of money I could have made selling plat and items if I knew what I know now back in 1999.

Like 80% of people playing the game knew nothing. I remember spending months to get to level 30 when I was like 13 years old.

The people who had poo poo figured out, (not to mention cheating) were probably just raking in $100,000 a year.

Ran with a guy that had MQ2 ghost before anyone knew what it was, he used to use that to sell gear from raids, anguish augs were really big and I'm sure other stuff, generally you had to stay an expac behind to not get banned. Then he did leveling services by using PoTactics and starting the war between the 2 factions, I'm sure he moved on to other zones after I quit.

He used to "play" (aka work) 12-16 hours a day, but he said he was making around 160k a year, this was like 2003/2004 through 2009 or so.

We sold our shaman for about 4k in 2008ish when we quit, our paladin for about 2.5k and druid was about 1500; all of them were geared with the best augs/raid gear from TBS ( or perhaps it was TSS), so didn't even have to be 1999/2000 to make decent money.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I hit level 18 last night, and I'm still playing it safe hunting Undead in North Ro. I think once I get to level 20, I'll move on, but this named Mummy has completely filled my bank with useable and sellable loot which should get me geared well enough to start picking up the pace. I had gotten so used to vet rewards and mercenaries that this solo play has been a struggle. A good struggle, as it's taken me back to my roots, and making me learn the class again.

If you haven't jumped on one of these new servers, give it a try, the population is great and it really is like a graphically and technically better version of the game at launch.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I want to try these new randomized loot prog servers. Time to figure out what to play... part of me just wants to try rogue, but I know I should probably pick shaman or magician or something else since I end up soloing sometimes and unless something's drastically different rogues are awful at it.

Ruleswise, I know they are identical, but is there anything I should know about population/things to watch out for when deciding which one to play?

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 2, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mischief is the only randomized/fv loot, I think, pretty sure thornblade is a regular rear end server.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MF_James posted:

mischief is the only randomized/fv loot, I think, pretty sure thornblade is a regular rear end server.

The website claims they are identical though I haven't yet installed/logged on to check. If that's right though, Mischief is the no-brainer pick for me.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Prism posted:

I want to try these new randomized loot prog servers. Time to figure out what to play... part of me just wants to try rogue, but I know I should probably pick shaman or something else since I end up soloing sometimes and unless something's drastically different rogues are awful at it.

Ruleswise, I know they are identical, but is there anything I should know about population/things to watch out for when deciding which one to play?

Necro is an ok class to play just due to being a good solo class. I prefer it because I enjoy hunting undead things anyways, so in that role I get slows, and undead charms, mezzes to help out... However, if I had it to do again, I would probably role up a class that can buff. It's crazy in demand. If you like pet classes, go with an Enchanter. Shaman's are also very self supporting though.

The one thing that has caused me some issue is that they only allow one login per computer. This has caused me some difficulty when I'm away from home and only have my laptop. I can't "box" a second or third account. Between myself, and a good friend, we have 5 lifetime subscriptions and we usually help each other level up alts. This doesn't work on this server.

The population has been great for the most part, but the random loot table means low level named mobs can drop loot they otherwise wouldn't... This does tent to mean high level players are in low level zones killing these mobs as well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Floob posted:

Necro is an ok class to play just due to being a good solo class. I prefer it because I enjoy hunting undead things anyways, so in that role I get slows, and undead charms, mezzes to help out... However, if I had it to do again, I would probably role up a class that can buff. It's crazy in demand. If you like pet classes, go with an Enchanter. Shaman's are also very self supporting though.

The one thing that has caused me some issue is that they only allow one login per computer. This has caused me some difficulty when I'm away from home and only have my laptop. I can't "box" a second or third account. Between myself, and a good friend, we have 5 lifetime subscriptions and we usually help each other level up alts. This doesn't work on this server.

The population has been great for the most part, but the random loot table means low level named mobs can drop loot they otherwise wouldn't... This does tent to mean high level players are in low level zones killing these mobs as well.

I don't like to multibox (and don't have multiple subs anyway... actually I haven't subbed at all in years) so I don't consider that a downside.

Enchanter as a pet class? I don't usually think of them that way but I guess they do have the charms. I think I'd still be more likely to pick mage (or shaman) though.

Which of the two servers are you on, if that makes a difference for population?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Prism posted:

I don't like to multibox (and don't have multiple subs anyway... actually I haven't subbed at all in years) so I don't consider that a downside.

Enchanter as a pet class? I don't usually think of them that way but I guess they do have the charms. I think I'd still be more likely to pick mage (or shaman) though.

Which of the two servers are you on, if that makes a difference for population?

Enchanter is a pet class. You get the sword and shield animation pet. It's not the greatest pet, and can't take commands, but if you're alone it's easy to make sure it defends you. Without being able to hand down magic items from higher level toons, you are going to suffer for Mana for a while. At least with an Enchanter you can buff mana and mana regen and make that less an issue. Necro gets that in their conversion line as well. I'm just saying, it's hard playing a caster with only cloth armor. It took me a few levels before I could afford even the standard caster poo poo like a Stein of Mogok and a robe, rings, etc.

I play on Mischief.

Mage is a great class, but dependent on gear. You will be sitting around a lot waiting on Mana until you can get some gear, or Enchanter buffs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mischief is going to have a much higher population.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Casters don't really need gear until like, mid-Luclin, you'd be fine.

e: in Kunark enchanters get Theft of Thought and it's nearly impossible to run out of mana.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MF_James posted:

Thornblade is identical to Mischief: https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-mischief-progression-server-2021

A streamer I watch plays on Thornblade and they get the random / FV loot.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Floob posted:

I hit level 18 last night, and I'm still playing it safe hunting Undead in North Ro. I think once I get to level 20, I'll move on, but this named Mummy has completely filled my bank with useable and sellable loot which should get me geared well enough to start picking up the pace. I had gotten so used to vet rewards and mercenaries that this solo play has been a struggle. A good struggle, as it's taken me back to my roots, and making me learn the class again.

If you haven't jumped on one of these new servers, give it a try, the population is great and it really is like a graphically and technically better version of the game at launch.

At 18 grab your undead mez and undead nuke and go to skeleton Isle in the ocean of tears. Stay on the beach facing the goblin Isle and you will end up leveling insanely fast. The skeletons aren't KOS if you aren't attacking them, so medding is simple as long as you keep an eye out fot gargoyle spawns.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Hmm, okay! Thanks for the tips, I'll probably hop on Mischief tonight. (What I actually would play is Beastlord but they don't exist yet so I'm just kind of picking something else for now; if I'm still playing when they open, I'll think about switching.)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea Mischief and Thornblade are the same, main difference now is that way more people have opted to play on Mischief for whatever reason, so the Thornblade population is much lower. Whether that is a downside is debateable - there are enough players still that it still feels pretty busy; as a pure DPS class (wizard) i do find it hard to get groups sometimes but from my experience that is always the case no matter the server.

I've heard people say that there are a lot more toxic players on MIschief tho, things are mostly very chill on Thornblade, and the few exceptions I've seen have mostly been confined to the servers dedicated rear end in a top hat powergamer guild.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i haven't had any bad experiences on mischief yet, but i'm also just kind of hopping around doing druid things and not taking stuff very serious. everyone i've grouped with has been super nice! i just got level 38, now i'm hanging out in OOT root rotting cyclopses for fun and profit. probably not the most efficient thing i could do but i like it.

there's a 76% exp/faction/rares bonus going right from now until the 8th, btw, not sure if anybody mentioned.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

someone awful. posted:

i haven't had any bad experiences on mischief yet, but i'm also just kind of hopping around doing druid things and not taking stuff very serious. everyone i've grouped with has been super nice! i just got level 38, now i'm hanging out in OOT root rotting cyclopses for fun and profit. probably not the most efficient thing i could do but i like it.

there's a 76% exp/faction/rares bonus going right from now until the 8th, btw, not sure if anybody mentioned.

Two times in North Ro I have had to deal with higher level folks puling the undead ruins and taking away my kills. That hasn't lasted long though, and they tend to move on, especially when they see me waiting for them to cut the poo poo.

I have had more positive situations than negative. Folks running by and dropping some loot on me, or the occasional buffs for me and my pet. Even when kiting a named mob I have had higher level people come up to me and not steal it, but rather help out in a way that guarantees I get loot rights, with a heal, or blasting it after I drop it down far enough. The nostalgia has been great, and it's been refreshing seeing active people again.

I find it funny this thread was started out talking about Everquest being free to play, but now we have focused on servers you have to pay for.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Something occurs to me: what are rangers like pre-archery being good? I honestly don't know. They melee mostly I assume (and not cast)? I know there used to be a lot of jokes about them being lovely but I don't know how accurate they ever were.

Sorry for the annoying questions, it's been too long.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Prism posted:

Something occurs to me: what are rangers like pre-archery being good? I honestly don't know. They melee mostly I assume (and not cast)? I know there used to be a lot of jokes about them being lovely but I don't know how accurate they ever were.

I'm guessing someone else can answer this. I can tell you in the random loot I have been seeing, has been a bunch of Ranger gear. I have several bows and quivers in the bank just collecting dust.

They do have spells, just not many. From what I have seen, bows are really just for pulling, and they switch over to melee in range... Track must be amazing on this server though! I thought about rolling one, but went with a Druid instead. Porting and tracking together will make short work of some of these mobs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Floob posted:

Are the graphics any different from when the game was released 20+ years ago?

Unless you are using Luclin models in which case you deserve to burn in hell.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Prism posted:

honestly rangers are a really underrated class, they get poo poo because they are lower DPS than monks (lol everybody is lower than epic monks cuz they're loving busted) but their utility is real good with snares / roots, they can boost their damage with their damage over time spell line as well as a fast casting nuke at level 50, and they can tank just fine for group content while also having a unique niche role for raiding. Then once Luclin hits you add on the ability to stand 3 miles away from the fight and just laser mobs to death while afk.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

RCarr posted:

Are the graphics any different from when the game was released 20+ years ago?

Unless you are using Luclin models in which case you deserve to burn in hell.

Yeah, graphically the new servers are using the same game client as live, and that has gone through a few upgrades over the past 20+ years. I don't remember when the big one was, but it was a while back... Obviously nobody is rushing to Everquest because they're carving out new ground, but it looks better than when it was launched. But to me, and probably many folks, that's not the draw. There are some vast quality of life enhancements done since launch that matter more than the graphics. Health and Mana Regen out of combat, casters no longer needing to look at their spell books to Meditate. Hell, I can't even count the number of things that have been changed in the gui. The ability to find NPC's with that tracking system they implemented a long time ago. No more sense heading needs... It's a major list of changes, but the feel of these zones is mostly unchanged, well except the ones that have changed that is... Combining East and West Commons kind of sucks, and makes for a killer huge zone now if you need to run through it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Indecisive posted:

honestly rangers are a really underrated class, they get poo poo because they are lower DPS than monks (lol everybody is lower than epic monks cuz they're loving busted) but their utility is real good with snares / roots, they can boost their damage with their damage over time spell line as well as a fast casting nuke at level 50, and they can tank just fine for group content while also having a unique niche role for raiding. Then once Luclin hits you add on the ability to stand 3 miles away from the fight and just laser mobs to death while afk.

Well, I'm sold.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

someone awful. posted:

i just got level 38, now i'm hanging out in OOT root rotting cyclopses for fun and profit. probably not the most efficient thing i could do but i like it.

I’ve been doing the same camp and it’s pretty great. I’m up to 42 Druid now so it’s time to move on, but it was a nice chill place to grind and I probably picked up a half dozen rings off the Ancient Cyclops. They rot a lot on the island because they’re lore. I had one AC kill drop three.

Only rear end in a top hat I encountered there was a guy boxing two Druids yesterday. Otherwise everyone is chill and spawns are plentiful so it’s no big thing to back off and let someone have one. I liked to grab two, DOT em, and kite em around the third grassy area with the Halfling pirate who drops the Erollisi Bracers.

On the subject of Rangers and Rogues, one of the big perks of playing a less popular class is how insanely cheap the gear is. All gear on Mischief is insanely cheap, but especially for those two. You could probably jump straight to raid drops that aren’t quite BIS in most of your slots by level 30.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Floob posted:

Yeah, graphically the new servers are using the same game client as live, and that has gone through a few upgrades over the past 20+ years. I don't remember when the big one was, but it was a while back... Obviously nobody is rushing to Everquest because they're carving out new ground, but it looks better than when it was launched. But to me, and probably many folks, that's not the draw. There are some vast quality of life enhancements done since launch that matter more than the graphics. Health and Mana Regen out of combat, casters no longer needing to look at their spell books to Meditate. Hell, I can't even count the number of things that have been changed in the gui. The ability to find NPC's with that tracking system they implemented a long time ago. No more sense heading needs... It's a major list of changes, but the feel of these zones is mostly unchanged, well except the ones that have changed that is... Combining East and West Commons kind of sucks, and makes for a killer huge zone now if you need to run through it.

Oh yeah I’ve played on and off for the past 20 years. I was more commenting on the “graphically updated” line. The game looks exactly the same, except for the few graphics updates they did do, which all look much, much worse than the original. (Luclin models, Freeport, etc)

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

RCarr posted:

Oh yeah I’ve played on and off for the past 20 years. I was more commenting on the “graphically updated” line. The game looks exactly the same, except for the few graphics updates they did do, which all look much, much worse than the original. (Luclin models, Freeport, etc)

You prefer the graphics and textures from launch, over what they are now? I'm no expert, but I don't think I have ever heard that before.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh yea the new graphics suck dick 100% gimme the old graphics + zones any day. at least you can pretend it's because of tech limitations + a more cartoony style instead of artists trying to make a game look more realistic than their skills + game engine allow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
The old graphics are far more charming. If the Luclin models weren't created by a contract to the cheapest fly-by-night company possible maybe we would be in a different place, but we're not and they are beyond terrible.