Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

check the replies for marketoid tears

https://twitter.com/SandwichToaste3/status/1410996298468179978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ColdEmpanadas/status/1410949100925751298

I feel a little crazy right now because it looks like it checks out but the propagandized part of my brain is still twitching to tell it's a little bit too good to be true

same, its loving with me but looks legit I think? looked to see if any one bike appears twice which would indicate its altered but not finding any

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

two loving hours, Jesus Christ. I wish people would just cut together a highlight reel

i'm listening while doing chores and it's so good and funny holy poo poo

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Palladium posted:

drat you china why aren't you wasting money on bombing brown people

obviously cause they hate freedom and democracy

thems weird and strange orientals

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Red and Black posted:

https://twitter.com/tculpan/status/1410402698176782336

Huh, thanks for the info Tim. Quick question though, what country was Taiwan a part of 100 years ago?

i wonder what his historical take on israel's ongoing genocide of palestinians

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

that lede makes my brain hurt

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sometimes it owns how dumb americans are

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

like a billion chinese people survived that regime

like maybe 10% of people alive today have that qualification you know

edit: it's also mixing up installing communism with the GPCR but w/e

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Jul 2, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also china used peasant and proletarian struggle in the form of protracted people's war to install communism, that's why woke twitter ahsn't installed poo poo

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
she is right. political education is the cornerstone of any organizing project

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ringo Roadagain posted:

same, its loving with me but looks legit I think? looked to see if any one bike appears twice which would indicate its altered but not finding any

iirc most people killed at Tiananmen were killed in street battles with the army. It doesn't necessarily mean that no innocent people died, but it's not exactly the massacre in the square that popular imagination thinks of. A couple dozen security forces were also killed, with thousands wounded. Tiananmen has a lot more in common with 1/6 than libs would ever acknowledge.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/hoccgoomusic/status/1410629120128544772?s=20
https://twitter.com/badiucao/status/1410839284320391168?s=20

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its cool that places without guns they go fuckin cold steel. yeah we got the body county, but we've all seen a whole building getting shot up in every movie. theres no panache

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DYING FOR JIMMY LAI'S NEWSPAPER PROFITS!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Homeless Friend posted:

its cool that places without guns they go fuckin cold steel. yeah we got the body county, but we've all seen a whole building getting shot up in every movie. theres no panache

the majority of murders in finland are done with knives, while drunk

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean that no innocent people died, but it's not exactly the massacre in the square that popular imagination thinks of.

i was too young at the time, and have wondered how exactly did this happen? even the western reporters that were in beijing and in the square reported no massacre. was it just ignored and overshadowed by the reactionary punditry? did the manufacturing consent machine just wait a minute and then platform all the organizers the CIA airlifted out to say whatever nonsense?

i bet if you were to ask, a large number of americans will suffer some mandela effect and absolutely tell you they remember seeing a man get run over by a tank on TV

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lollontee posted:

I think its the same for the british

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i was too young at the time, and have wondered how exactly did this happen? even the western reporters that were in beijing and in the square reported no massacre. was it just ignored and overshadowed by the reactionary punditry? did the manufacturing consent machine just wait a minute and then platform all the organizers the CIA airlifted out to say whatever nonsense?

i bet if you were to ask, a large number of americans will suffer some mandela effect and absolutely tell you they remember seeing a man get run over by a tank on TV

I think the basics are pretty simple. You just memory hole the entire event. Spent a few decades generating "china bad" propaganda, and then any time the event comes in the future you leave out all the details and let people's imagination fill in the blanks.

Not remembering history is the first and most important step. Kind of like how all the members of the allied nations have now just collectively forgotten the contributions of the soviets.

Edit: People don't need to remember a whole coherent history. They just need to believe that China is bad so that they view everything through that lens.

Edit 2: Like my personal experience for the past few years is that everything anyone ever taught me is a lie of omission. History, news, whatever else. Everything is warped by ideology, leaving out facts and details that would change the interpretation.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jul 2, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Prayers for the officer. It's sick that people would target a guy just trying to serve his community.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

the washington post's man in tiananmen at the time wrote a little bit about it (https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/the_myth_of_tiananmen.php):

quote:

The resilient tale of an early morning Tiananmen massacre stems from several false eyewitness accounts in the confused hours and days after the crackdown. Human rights experts George Black and Robin Munro, both outspoken critics of the Chinese government, trace many of the rumor’s roots in their 1993 book, Black Hands of Beijing: Lives of Defiance in China’s Democracy Movement. Probably the most widely disseminated account appeared first in the Hong Kong press: a Qinghua University student described machine guns mowing down students in front of the Monument to the People’s Heroes in the middle of the square. The New York Times gave this version prominent display on June 12, just a week after the event, but no evidence was ever found to confirm the account or verify the existence of the alleged witness. Times reporter Nicholas Kristof challenged the report the next day, in an article that ran on the bottom of an inside page; the myth lived on. Student leader Wu’er Kaixi said he had seen 200 students cut down by gunfire, but it was later proven that he left the square several hours before the events he described allegedly occurred.

Most of the hundreds of foreign journalists that night, including me, were in other parts of the city or were removed from the square so that they could not witness the final chapter of the student story. Those who tried to remain close filed dramatic accounts that, in some cases, buttressed the myth of a student massacre.

For example, CBS correspondent Richard Roth’s story of being arrested and removed from the scene refers to “powerful bursts of automatic weapons, raging gunfire for a minute and a half that lasts as long as a nightmare.” Black and Munro quote a Chinese eyewitness who says the gunfire was from army commandos shooting out the student loudspeakers at the top of the monument. A BBC reporter watching from a high floor of the Beijing Hotel said he saw soldiers shooting at students at the monument in the center of the square. But as the many journalists who tried to watch the action from that relatively safe vantage point can attest, the middle of the square is not visible from the hotel.

A common response to this corrective analysis is: So what? The Chinese army killed many innocent people that night. Who cares exactly where the atrocities took place? That is an understandable, and emotionally satisfying, reaction. Many of us feel bile rising in our throats at any attempt to justify what the Chinese leadership and a few army commanders did that night.

But consider what is lost by not giving an accurate account of what happened, and what such sloppiness says to Chinese who are trying to improve their press organs by studying ours. The problem is not so much putting the murders in the wrong place, but suggesting that most of the victims were students. Black and Munro say “what took place was the slaughter not of students but of ordinary workers and residents — precisely the target that the Chinese government had intended.” They argue that the government was out to suppress a rebellion of workers, who were much more numerous and had much more to be angry about than the students. This was the larger story that most of us overlooked or underplayed.

It is hard to find a journalist who has not contributed to the misimpression. Rereading my own stories published after Tiananmen, I found several references to the “Tiananmen massacre.” At the time, I considered this space-saving shorthand. I assumed the reader would know that I meant the massacre that occurred in Beijing after the Tiananmen demonstrations. But my fuzziness helped keep the falsehood alive. Given enough time, such rumors can grow even larger and more distorted. When a journalist as careful and well-informed as Tim Russert, NBC’s Washington bureau chief, can fall prey to the most feverish versions of the fable, the sad consequences of reportorial laziness become clear. On May 31 on Meet the Press, Russert referred to “tens of thousands” of deaths in Tiananmen Square.

The facts of Tiananmen have been known for a long time. When Clinton visited the square this June, both The Washington Post and The New York Times explained that no one died there during the 1989 crackdown. But these were short explanations at the end of long articles. I doubt that they did much to kill the myth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I believe this is called an “and 1”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

America could use a Cultural Revolution

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Samog posted:

the washington post's man in tiananmen at the time wrote a little bit about it (https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/the_myth_of_tiananmen.php):

the NYT, of course lol.

and yep big loving surprise here too

quote:

After the protests, Wu'erkaixi was No 2 on China's list of most wanted student leaders. He fled to France through Hong Kong under the aegis of Operation Yellowbird,[6] and then studied at Harvard University in the United States.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

America could use a Cultural Revolution

I don’t like bugs so I’d be a bad farmer

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1411099680675672069?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Enhance___/status/1411075196853710852

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

chairman of a Korean insurance company

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

australia's prime minister at time read out diplomatic cables based on the same informant as the british and the emotional response just burned it into everyone's memory and also chose to never correct the record.

crepeface posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-03/bob-hawke-tiananman-classified-cable/100184916

quote:

"The whole incident occurred because there was this life and death power struggle going on at the highest levels of the Chinese government.

"[The informant] would, of course, be reflecting the views, and the hopes and the fears of one particular group; the group that lost out.

"So there would be a vested interest in conveying as bad a picture as possible, of what the people on the other side of this power struggle were doing and were responsible for."

:magemage:

quote:

But she said that later, after being presented with new information about the event, he came to a realisation that some of the details were incorrect. Although, he did not voice any regrets.

:magemage: :magemage: :magemage:

also this came out recently about him.

https://twitter.com/strom_m/status/1408970640678260736?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Samog posted:

Now contrast this with Yeltsin's assault on the Duma, where his thugs massacred thousands of unarmed demonstrators and even killed Western journalists - and the Western press pretended that this was a "both sides" issue while uncritically accepting the official government death toll of a few hundred. The demonstrators massacred in the plaza and getting off the buses to Moscow are just totally memory holed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Zoolox/status/1410916312273010688?s=20

lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Pearl Harbor expert has given his opinion.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

who else has the lived experience to speculate on Pearl Harbor-esque scenarios? these voices must be heard.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Pearl Harbor expert has given his opinion.

I'm not a chickenhawk but "we", "us" and "our"

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

lollontee posted:

Among drinking buddies over trivial dispursuits?

Grimnarsson has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Jul 3, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1411148243430383620

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stabbings are the number one cause of death in Indonesia. Documentary filmmaker Gareth Evans made several movies about it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1411176027376607234

korean feminist twitter has been really mad lately that south korean courts have been handing out reduced sentences for sex crimes and im honestly kind of surprised this tweet actually contextualized this by mentioning that basic sentencing guidelines are low in general instead of just implying that its because misogynist korean culture loves rapists

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1411176820104318979

i should note that accidental is a bad translation of the word in question unplanned is a better one which is to say there was no intent he acted impulsively

this is not some arcane asiatic concept most courts consider intent not just in sentencing but in original charges as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1410767376287666176