Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sway Grunt posted:

This one and Aldrich are both fights that have felt easy to me and yet I've found myself dying to them too often and, notably, too soon into the fight, which is why I wondered if there's maybe something wrong with my build - just that nagging feeling that I really should not be having this much trouble with them.

I suppose it could also be a psychological thing, or too much Dark Souls over the past few months. Maybe I'm just out of form. :v:

I definitely had the same experience you did both in terms of finding a lot of the bosses both too tanky and not liking how much damage I take. It felt like the vast majority of hard encounters could kill me in 2-3 hits, and I suspect that's partially a vestige from Bloodborne- it really, really wants to encourage caution, and with the exception of weird stuff like BS command grabs, you should be able to mitigate almost all incoming damage.

I don't want to encourage you to play like me, but one thing I would highly suggest is experimenting with lighter armor. Maybe even set up, like, a mini Dark Souls Lab by finding a bonfire with a single enemy near it, and letting yourself get hit in different gearsets to see how much damage it does. From what I recall, heavy armor is often a trap- without poise, the additional damage it mitigated was almost never worth the slower dodge/move and lower stamina recovery, and least for me.

What's your vit at? That was another stumbling block for me- I tended to keep a very low vitality (I think I hovered mine around 10-15 for most of the first half), but boosting it up to 20-27 had a major impact on survivability. It generally only let me tank one more hit, but when an upgraded estus can fill your health bar and you've got tons of them, tanking that one extra hit does a lot of good.

If you're looking for a small edge, it can be worth playing with resins- I believe Oceiros and Dragonslayer Armor's weaknesses are lightning and frostbite/strike, respectively. They won't be game-changers, but they'll consistently add maybe 10-15% to your damage output.

Lastly, I've honestly never done the math on this and might be talking out of my rear end, but a lot of the starter classes start out 1-3 points away from being able to slot sorceries, and when that's the case I usually get my int and attunement up to 10 and keep Magical Weapon up on my main weapon. Note that this is not a game-changer, and very much not worth deviating from your planned build to go towards, but if you can get there in a level or two it's a nice albeit humble increase in damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Any opinions on Tainted Grail Conquest? Deck drafting card battlers is a crowded genre. Any reason to pick this one up?

The setting is interesting, the music rules, but I found the meta progression a bit excessive.

The core gameplay is competent, and the classes are interesting, but I found it pretty easy on most classes (there's three of each of three archetypes).

Didn't like the over world exploration much, it was just ok.

I'd say try it and watch the timer, just dive in and play, you can see if you like it in under two hours.

Some others I played this sale:

Arcanium (cool)
Roguebook (competent but I didn't like it as much as some seem to)
Griftlands (most polished of these)
Vault of the Void (solid, a little overly complex for complexities sake, but fun to play)

Also try Nowhere Prophet and Trials of Fire if you haven't, though the gameplay is half tactical combat in both.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Doom 3's $1.50. The BFG edition is $6. Worth it?

Also sad to see the original Prey isn't on the store. Was in the mood for that era of FPS.

Also, the Raven Wolfenstein as well?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doom 3 is flawed but still good, definitely worth a burger imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah but are we talking a cheeseburger or big mac?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Doom 3's $1.50. The BFG edition is $6. Worth it?

The BFG edition includes the Doom 3 expansion, the first two games, and the Xbox-only Doom 2 expansion by Nerve. The shadows are different (because of some patent BS) and you lose mod support though I tihnk.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Also sad to see the original Prey isn't on the store. Was in the mood for that era of FPS.

Grey market key sites still have the original Prey if you want to get it on Steam before the key supply dries up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hwurmp posted:

:woop:

now to see if the Torrent weapon can be made to not suck

That looks like a cooler Geometry Arena. Think it's worth 8 bucks?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oldstench posted:

Gonna give a recommend to ΔV: Rings of Saturn. Elevator pitch would be hard sci-fi Asteroids. If you are into chill space mining in a heavily physics-based sandbox, this is your game. It's still in EA but it is system complete. The dev is constantly adding new stuff however, and listens to feedback. Definitely worth the $5 on sale.

e: there is a full demo available that just doesn't let you save.
I haven't kept up with this thread in months but had nowhere else to talk about this game among the other niche threads. I had no idea how much I needed Asteroids with an economic element.

One of the main conceits is cartwheeling yourself ever deeper into the rings of Saturn where bigger and bigger asteroids are waiting for you to get cocky about how much fuel you want to spend avoiding them. Its such an oddly satisfying loop to have minutes of tense spurting RCS to get deep into the ring or to get away from a pirate between lazily lazing rocks out of asteroids.

$5 is both a steal but also probably the right price because at the end of the day its still campaign Asteroids.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress

saw a really cool 8bit aesthetic rpg in my queue but I forgot to wishlist, now to play the hunting game

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

victrix posted:

gently caress

saw a really cool 8bit aesthetic rpg in my queue but I forgot to wishlist, now to play the hunting game

https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata/DiscoveryQueueHistory

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Play posted:

That looks like a cooler Geometry Arena. Think it's worth 8 bucks?

Absolutely. Nova Drift rules

Rinkles posted:

yeah but are we talking a cheeseburger or big mac?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 3, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

All this SNKRX talk has got my interest piqued. Does it play ok on mobile?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Frog detective 3 SOON™
https://twitter.com/gracebruxner/status/1411104902764404736?s=19

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

.random posted:

Yup! Still not sure how I feel about the game but I've been playing on my phone and it's fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

But is this Frog Fractions 3 as well?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LLSix posted:

Fell Seal is in the steam sale. Is it good?
Steam reviews both say that it is a perfect successor to FFT and that it is nothing like FFT.

I liked it overall, but it's trivial to find the min-max build(s) and then coast your way to victory on the back of those builds relatively quickly (hint: the answer is always Dual Wield). If you want to have more "fun," the systems are there for you to experiment, but if you're the type to break the game, there's probably too much game where the difficulty is non-existent.

Look also into the Rad Codex games, if you're trying to scratch an FFT (mechanically) itch. I really liked Horizon's Gate and it's somehow still being updated, but Voidspire and Alvora Tactics are also real solid.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sway Grunt posted:

At least I beat the boss at Smouldering Lake just now! Thanks for that tip John Murdoch, it's a nice area actually and I gained two levels and an upgrade for my halberd in the process (which in hindsight should've gone to the club I think, but whatever). Also the way you open the path to it is genuinely funny. I'll need to come back for some loot that's sitting in some lava, though, I guess I might eventually come across a ring like the one you get in DS1 Lost Izalith. Hopefully I was not supposed to kill the electric worm thing for it, because I did not.

:tipshat: The lava loot works just like the lava loot in DS2: Are you a pyromancer? If not, don't worry about it.

Sway Grunt posted:

Positive, yeah. I would've otherwise gotten the warning when equipping it, right? I never use weapons I don't have the stats for and I don't think I'd have upgraded it all the way to +6 if that'd been the case... I would've noticed I think. But it's all good now, I beat him with a Greatshield and Halberd, then beat Dragonslayer Armour by two-handing Vordt's mace as suggested by Buller and Foul Fowl which absolutely shredded it. Made it through the next area too which was a very, very nice one. And I'm liking the boss at the end here, feels instantly doable and my halberd's maxed out and doing good damage. I don't know what went wrong in that whole stretch of the game but fortunately it's feeling a lot better now, and consequently I am too.

I'm glad to hear you've gotten over the hump. Always possible you ran into a bad string of bosses that had inconvenient damage resistances but heck if I know.

Just some quick notes, going off your other posts:

I did a quick check and judging from a table over on (ugh) Fextralife, you're bang on in the right level range for that part of the game, at least according to that one (slightly out of date) chart on a dodgy wiki. :v:

Word seems to be the basic halberd is a bit middle of the road compared to other options, but not markedly underpowered or anything, so your troubles with offense continue to be a bit of a mystery. 40 is the soft cap on both strength and dex, but from what you've said I'm assuming you've built in that direction and aren't like the poor soul I saw on reddit who literally put their STR/DEX at the exact requirements for the halberd and then never raised them again. :gonk:

Defense wise...I think you might be causing yourself grief by using the Carthus Bloodring. Sure, you get some extra i-frames, but it's also debuffing your damage absorption by 30%, which is likely why you're getting flattened by certain boss attacks. Combining it with heavy armor is doubling down on the problem - you're using up all that weight only to slice most of the benefit off of the armor anyway. You could probably achieve near-identical performance by downgrading to medium or even light armor and shooting for 30% weight for the fast roll and skip the ring entirely (and obviously hey, net gain of a ring slot). Or stack the full benefits and run super light gear + the extra frames from the ring.

The thing I wanted to double check on is that 3 has a bizarre penalty for leaving armor slots empty. It's variable depending on the slot, but basically you eat a significant penalty to your defenses if you have the audacity to not wear *something*, even just moldly old rags, in a slot. Given your thoroughness I'm guessing you haven't been running around half-naked, but I figured I should make absolutely sure just in case.

Your estus sounds fine. I think you missed a shard or a bone dust here or there, but not in crazy amounts or anything.

Finally, the Consumed King hides the way to two optional areas (and bosses) that are, IMO, must-see.
Area 1 hint: Go back to the chamber past his arena and give it a thorough examination.
Area 2 hint: The Path of the Dragon gesture is a powerful thing...

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 3, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I hosed up quoting this because the post is huge and phones are jank posted:

I'm not surprised. Nippon Ichi Software is in dire financial straits, even more than usual, and their latest flagship game is a mess. They must be hurting.

They're really not though, especially not compared to two years ago. Despite nearly landing the killing blow on them they turned Disgaea RPG around into a success, despite the polarising response D6 has done pretty well enough, their smaller scale indie type games were what helped them stop circling the drain when their board members took big bonuses and told the workers they might have to cut some pay. NISA themselves might have been mostly responsible for salvaging both arms of the company, since the Ys 8 Archeozaic Big Hole thing all their loc projects have done well.

NIS are in a better place than they have been in a long time.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

gently caress

Please share the game when you find it in your discovery queue history

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Please share the game when you find it in your discovery queue history

Took some digging, this one!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069160/SKALD_Against_the_Black_Priory/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

explosivo posted:

Is Wrestling Empire actually fun to play or is it just like a meme game that plays like poo poo but has heart so people talk fondly about it?

While I haven't played Empire, generally his games have always been fun to play, even if it looks like poo poo. There have been some years the WWE game was so piss-poor it was a legitimately better option to play the one-man game.

If you've ever liked a wrestling game, I think you'd like Mdickie's.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I never owned an Xbox so I never really got into Halo. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't have bought Halo though because playing shooters with gamepads is impossible and anybody who claims to be able to is either lying or a wizard. Still, I like single player PC shooters with good KB+M controls a whole lot.

Will I like the Halo Master Chief collection if I only play through the single player campaigns with KB+M?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Sway Grunt posted:

In the end this is what I did, it was simply beyond me. I summoned two phantoms and it still took a few tries. The furthest I got on my own was the second phase, and I had to equip the ring that gives you extra dodging i-frames just to make it that far. I think this was the first fight in any of the Souls games where I had that sinking feeling, I knew in my heart that I just cannot beat it on my own and no amount of attempts would make a difference. Contrast to Sir Alonne or whomever where I died dozens of times but it still felt doable. Sulyvahn did not feel doable.

Also contrast to Aldrich who is pissing me off because he feels so easy but I'm so goddamn bad at this game that it's taking way longer than it should. Game's really shaken my confidence in the last few hours.

edit:

I'm the opposite in that I naturally dodge left or back first. But yeah I eventually try to become aware of those patterns and try to change them up, though it usually takes a few stubborn deaths to get there. In this specific case literally nothing worked for me, at all - at least not consistently. Maybe if I had more stamina I could've chained more dodges and then been fine, I don't know. But it felt like his attack combos were too long and too fast, and he was attacking too often. If he was meant to be the final boss I can only hope there's nobody as tough as him remaining. I know Sister Friede's supposed to be really hard as well, though... I guess we'll see.

Don't feel too bad about Sulyvahn, the same thing happened to me. That pontiff hosed me up so many times, even *with* phantom buddies.

Dancer though, I somehow beat on the first try. In conclusion, Dark Souls 3 is a really cool game but I got my poo poo beat down by the pope.

Then I got Yhorm's and beat the hell out of everyone with a massive cleaver in the True Dark Souls Way. :getin:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

GreatGreen posted:

I never owned an Xbox so I never really got into Halo. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't have bought Halo though because playing shooters with gamepads is impossible and anybody who claims to be able to is either lying or a wizard. Still, I like single player PC shooters with good KB+M controls a whole lot.

Will I like the Halo Master Chief collection if I only play through the single player campaigns with KB+M?

Probably? Halo is still fairly good on PC, KB+M doesn't make it excessively easy or anything like that. If you find fault with the Halo series it won't be due to the control scheme.

They're slower paced more cinematic shooters and they certainly have their faults but they deliver with fun gameplay. The MCC ports are decent now that they've sorted most of the teething issues.
So I'd say yes they are decent singleplayer campaigns and there is plenty there for 20$ even if you skip the "bad" Halo and multi.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 3, 2021

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Most of what I remember about Dark Souls 3 is me and two phantoms rolling in circles around all the bosses, pausing only to line up and stab the bosses in the butt for a few seconds. When they turned to face us, we'd roll around behind them and stab them in the butt again.

The rest of what I remember is all the times that didn't work.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GreatGreen posted:

Brother-in-law bought these for me and we just finished 4 this week. In all honesty: 1 is rough, 4 is rough, the rest in the middle are pretty solid and the game has quite a few Easter eggs and distinct challenges if you wanna play with difficulty settings. I also played kb+m the entire time and it's plenty doable with those controls.

Would definitely recommend and a co-op partner makes a few sequences way more interesting.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

.random posted:

The only controls during play are left and right anyways, so it translates super well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HarmB posted:

While I haven't played Empire, generally his games have always been fun to play, even if it looks like poo poo. There have been some years the WWE game was so piss-poor it was a legitimately better option to play the one-man game.

If you've ever liked a wrestling game, I think you'd like Mdickie's.

I saw there was a demo for Empire and holy poo poo that game is a ton of fun! I'm not sure if I am going to pick up the full game just yet but was pleasantly surprised to see run-ins and story stuff.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Dungeonmans is on sale for less than $5 and still getting updates. The latest being Hatch and Slash where you raise your own battle chickens. If you want a solid roguelike with a base that grows with each run, give this a shot. The music is also very catchy. The composer said he was inspired by Hitoshi Sakimoto who has a hell of a track record. This OST particularly draws from Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/Dungeonmans/status/1410828687931416576?s=20

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Well this is gonna sound dumb, but how do I not get hit in Hades? In games like my beloved dead cells, when I get hit 99/100 times it feels like it's totally my fault. In hades, it's like... I'm just gonna get hit. I just feel like I gotta grind and get my HP and stuff up to do the thing. I'd rather not use only the shield. I like tough but fair, and it feels like easy but unfair. What am I missing?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The dodge button

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Your analysis of easy but unfair is exactly right. Hades is very pretty but it's visually extremely bad from a game design standpoint. You can't see what the gently caress is going on because of the incredibly excessive use of effects and the generally poor design of a lot of things. It's basically just a matter of playing the game a lot so you have memory of exactly what will happen in every situation and you know exactly how to use your chainable dodge to take no damage. I got bored very quickly.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I just want to recommend Runers.

Runers

It's one of my favourite top down roguelites on Steam. Bad graphics but fantastic weapon system and fun gameplay.

Are there any other lesser known top down progression shooters people would recommend?

I've played all the big ones like Hades, Gungeon, Issax etc. I'm looking for some hidden gems.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Your analysis of easy but unfair is exactly right. Hades is very pretty but it's visually extremely bad from a game design standpoint. You can't see what the gently caress is going on because of the incredibly excessive use of effects and the generally poor design of a lot of things. It's basically just a matter of playing the game a lot so you have memory of exactly what will happen in every situation and you know exactly how to use your chainable dodge to take no damage. I got bored very quickly.

At no point is Hades unfair by any standard of roguelites, until you turn the ridiculous modifiers on.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Hades, being a roguelite, is balanced around the upgrades you unlock. Many enemies are incredibly difficult to dodge until you unlock the extra dodges. Similarly, they're gonna feel more punishing for the first few runs, because you're missing a lot of tools.

I strongly disagree that it's badly designed. Similarly to soulslikes, learning enemy patterns is part of improving

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Mescal posted:

Well this is gonna sound dumb, but how do I not get hit in Hades? In games like my beloved dead cells, when I get hit 99/100 times it feels like it's totally my fault. In hades, it's like... I'm just gonna get hit. I just feel like I gotta grind and get my HP and stuff up to do the thing. I'd rather not use only the shield. I like tough but fair, and it feels like easy but unfair. What am I missing?

A lot of attacks have both visual and audio tells. Like any game, you'll learn enemy attacks and boss patterns eventually by repetition. You're invincible when you dodge.

A no damage run is probably not possible, I agree with that, and increasing your health and healing yourself mid run is important. Building up a stronger character via the meta-progression to get to later stages is just how Hades was designed. I think it took me 20-25 runs before I got my first win? After which I was winning 4 out of 5 runs.

Edit: I mean, it is possible to beat Hades on a fresh character and there is dialogue written to reflect that.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 3, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yessss. The first two are some of the funniest games I’ve ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I found Griftlands to be very boring.