Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Amethyst posted:

Everyone in my office is always kneading squishy balls and switching mouse hands to fend off rsi except for me and the one other vim guy

whatever editor you use, text expansion and autocomplete ftw for this reason too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Everyone in my office is always kneading squishy balls and switching mouse hands to fend off rsi except for me and the one other vim guy

Yeah doing less work is a great way to avoid rsi

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one thing actually bad about vscode is that the key bindings are seemingly random compared to most things i've used, and changing them is one of the worst bits of ux in the thing. i'd feel better off with either vi- or emacs-inspired bindings, but have found no extension that achieves that without a ton of tradeoffs.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Amethyst posted:

Install Emacs. Caps Lock -> Control. Goodbye RSI.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i was looking at an ergodox or some other split keyboard to save my wrists and fingers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

every editor and ide has keyboard shortcuts for everything, just learn them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The_Franz posted:

every editor and ide has keyboard shortcuts for everything, just learn them

⌘⌫ ur post

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

⌘⌫ ur post

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

carry on then posted:

probably at least partially an assumption that "text doesn't need acceleration, it's fast already"

test is accelerated on real operating systems

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i need a new phrase for “stockholm syndrome” where it was found that the event that originated the term was weird and not really scientifically valid

anyway ive got vim stockholm syndrome and i love it bitches

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Share Bear posted:

i need a new phrase for “stockholm syndrome” where it was found that the event that originated the term was weird and not really scientifically valid

anyway ive got vim stockholm syndrome and i love it bitches

folie à plusieurs

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I've been programming for twenty years nary a twinge of hand discomfort. Last week I used a reciprocating saw to cut tree roots for eight hours, and woke up the next day with unopenable gnarled claws for hands.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

i prefer vi over vim, vim's extra features are lost on me

all you need to be happy w/ vi:

yes

Figures that a vi lover would find typing something up to be so arduous that they instead wrote it on a piece of paper

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
That vi cheat sheet is clearly from the 80s or something and is cool.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one thing actually bad about vscode is that the key bindings are seemingly random compared to most things i've used, and changing them is one of the worst bits of ux in the thing. i'd feel better off with either vi- or emacs-inspired bindings, but have found no extension that achieves that without a ton of tradeoffs.

https://github.com/asvetliakov/vscode-neovim embeds actual (neo)vim into vscode rather than lovely vim emulation so if you haven't tried that it's worth giving it a shot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vim sucks poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Pike posted:

I've been programming for twenty years nary a twinge of hand discomfort. Last week I used a reciprocating saw to cut tree roots for eight hours, and woke up the next day with unopenable gnarled claws for hands.

sounds like you used some new muscles there

guess you werent used to holdin on to a handle were ya champ

(but seriously that could be why, it happened to me in 09)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

hifi posted:

vim sucks poo poo

this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hifi posted:

vim sucks poo poo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

taco_fox posted:

Figures that a vi lover would find typing something up to be so arduous that they instead wrote it on a piece of paper

they typed it all up from muscle memory and realized after the fact they were in command mode lol. Just a bit of #programmer #humor for you! like and share!

also emacs with evil-mode is a better vim than vim

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
emacs and vim kick rear end and I wish I'd learned them sooner.

emacs in org mode with home row mode keys (ie ctrl shift alt mod on asdf jkl;) makes for a very nice writing setup

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Hating vim and Emacs is just lame. Uhhhh these two huge passionate old communities based around a cool bit of software are stupid, unlike me, the smart guy.

Any software with a big following and tons of custom extensions written for totally non commercial reasons is cool.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Neovim 0.5 came out today. I tried the lsp support in nightly and it’s good if you’re into that sort of thing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Amethyst posted:

Uhhhh these two huge passionate old communities based around a cool bit of software are stupid, unlike me, the smart guy.

unironically this, except for the bit about it being a cool bit of software

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there are people who seriously claim that vim is the best ide for Java. these people are cracked

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lol I don’t use vim for java. Java without heavy tooling is a nightmare

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i should try rider again for c# stuff. vs code has come a long way but it still doesn't do enough refactoring for my taste

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Why on earth would you use anything but visual studio for c#

Not vscode. Visual studio, the c# ide

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Oh nm rider is JetBrains. They are good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Amethyst posted:

Lol I don’t use vim for java. Java without heavy tooling is a nightmare

People who use vim for languages like java are absolute freaks. I had a coworker who preferred vim with youcompleteme instead of just using an IDE like a normal person.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

obviously rider is going to be great if you’re comparing it to vscode, what the gently caress kind of life decisions led you to writing c# in notepad+++

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People who use vim for languages like java are absolute freaks. I had a coworker who preferred vim with youcompleteme instead of just using an IDE like a normal person.

i am a vim user normally, but for the last year i have been developing for android (bleh) and wouldnt use anything except android studio for that. i cant even imagine the hell it would have been if i stuck with vim.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

necrotic posted:

i am a vim user normally, but for the last year i have been developing for android (bleh) and wouldnt use anything except android studio for that. i cant even imagine the hell it would have been if i stuck with vim.

My workplace normally uses eclipse but I have a coworker who only codes in gedit. :psyduck:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My workplace normally uses eclipse but I have a coworker who only codes in gedit. :psyduck:

condolences

tbf i'd probably also pick just about anything over eclipse

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

eclipse is fine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

maybe it's improved since i last used it, which is admittedly years ago, but at the time it was horribly slow and had some weird, annoying quirks

i've never really had a reason to try it again since jetbrains tools exist

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it has better and more flexible/full-featured menus than jetbrains, if you take the time to learn them

I use jetbrains for work but sometimes I find myself missing some feature of eclipse

it is a fair bit slower for most operations though (ironically jetbrains IDEs are also written in java so it's not just that)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Private Speech posted:

it has better and more flexible/full-featured menus than jetbrains, if you take the time to learn them

I use jetbrains for work but sometimes I find myself missing some feature of eclipse

it is a fair bit slower for most operations though (ironically jetbrains IDEs are also written in java so it's not just that)

jetbrains tools years ago weren't exactly blazing fast either. when i first tried them it actually felt like there was a slight yet perceivable delay between inputs and actions. then at some point they added speed holes that magically made everything really fast (even startup was something like 5x faster) and their stuff has felt great since

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eclipse is on a slow slide into irrelevancy, but i don't think any of the maintainers are interested in eclipse being anything other than what it is now so i don't see that being averted any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
something something Saint IGNUcius from the Church of EMACS