Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The premium price on AHT is still good enough that the bag isn’t as bad as it could be. I have $5 puts I sold today that are still profitable even with the tank lol. Now that I say that it’s gonna drop another dollar on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
What will this split do to premiums for the stock? Ive sure enjoyed the extra revenue selling covered calls has provided me. But since I do not think the stock will clear $4 before the reverse split I am considering selling covered calls at $2.50 which would put my exit point around $4 depending on what premiums look like Tuesday morning.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What happens if a stock hits zero

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Well, the good news is that it’s gonna be real cheap for you all to close the covered calls you sold on AHT

The bad news is the same as the good news

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What happens if a stock hits zero

overflows up to 9999999999999999

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

pmchem posted:

Well, the good news is that it’s gonna be real cheap for you all to close the covered calls you sold on AHT

The bad news is the same as the good news

I have to admit, realizing that the guy who bought the calls from me is holding almost as big a bag as I am does make me feel a little bit better.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

The premium price on AHT is still good enough that the bag isn’t as bad as it could be. I have $5 puts I sold today that are still profitable even with the tank lol. Now that I say that it’s gonna drop another dollar on Tuesday.
how are they profitable? you sold the december puts?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Uranium 235 posted:

I just checked and they're worth like 2.20 each, so the breakeven for someone to execute would be around 2.80. They're right on the edge of remaining profitable.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Ror posted:

I just checked and they're worth like 2.20 each, so the breakeven for someone to execute would be around 2.80. They're right on the edge of remaining profitable.
that's if he sold the december puts at the highest price they traded today, but there were only 8 contracts traded at that price. maybe he sold for 2.13 or something but that would be profitable by just a few pennies...

all the earlier dated $5 puts were sold at prices that could not be profitable based on the after hours share price of ~2.90

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 3, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

snagged 150 shares @ 2.94 so expect it to drop under 2 any minute now

:same: but @ $2.88

I have a limit sell set for $3.88 on the random off chance it spikes Tuesday :shrug:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

It’s gonna spike right? It’s clearly undervalued. I have not read any articles linked and I will not be reading anything that talks about splits or ratios or whatever. Thanks

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It’s gonna spike right? It’s clearly undervalued. I have not read any articles linked and I will not be reading anything that talks about splits or ratios or whatever. Thanks

I also will not do any research beyond what's already been posted in this thread:

There were 103 million shares outstanding on March 11. (Share price was $3.15 on March 11.)
They are issuing an additional 47 million shares.

See you at $2.10! (Hey, I like that NDRA symmetry!)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

AHT and IVR are exercises in bagholding at this point, look at their P/B, market cap, and assets / liabilities histories on macrotrends

:hmmyes:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wifi Toilet posted:

I also will not do any research beyond what's already been posted in this thread:

There were 103 million shares outstanding on March 11. (Share price was $3.15 on March 11.)
They are issuing an additional 47 million shares.

See you at $2.10! (Hey, I like that NDRA symmetry!)

Then the split I think you mean see you at $21 that bleeds down to $15.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Geez, glad I bailed on my AHT at 9% loss.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Uranium 235 posted:

I looked at the closing price not the AH price, they are for Aug @$1.55, so about $0.50 down at this point.

Probably just dumb bag holder logic but I don’t think much has changed for a medium-long term hold, reverse splits are bad optics but don’t actually change equity, and dilution is bad but is either going to be used to decrease liabilities or lower the deficit in equity on the balance sheet. Looking at another reverse split at the height of covid doesn’t mean much, it’s always been about them generating revenues post reopening.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

paternity suitor posted:

Why is the thread so horny for AHT, looks like a re-opening trade stock 4-8 months too late? They owe a ton of money and are diluting like crazy.

This isn't a new thing, AHT has been going wild with share dilution for while

Issuing 47M shares, lmao that's like 20% of the current outstanding shares

This is where you cut your losses if you haven't read all of the flashing red signs to date

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jimong5 posted:

I looked at the closing price not the AH price, they are for Aug @$1.55, so about $0.50 down at this point.

Probably just dumb bag holder logic but I don’t think much has changed for a medium-long term hold, reverse splits are bad optics but don’t actually change equity, and dilution is bad but is either going to be used to decrease liabilities or lower the deficit in equity on the balance sheet. Looking at another reverse split at the height of covid doesn’t mean much, it’s always been about them generating revenues post reopening.

Dilution is literally taking your money as a shareholder, yes, it's bad

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I mean dilution when done right should be beneficial to both the stock price and the shareholder value. In reality it usually means the company can't finance their debt why other way though.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

IG-88 posted:

How does this even happen? Why is this legal?

^^^new thread title

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

I mean dilution when done right should be beneficial to both the stock price and the shareholder value. In reality it usually means the company can't finance their debt why other way though.

Basically this, like buying back preferred shares is something that you can’t really collateralize. A short term common stock hit to stop bleeding preferred dividends in arrears seems like one of those ok situations. Or paying off a particularly awful loan might lead to quicker profitability and reinstating a common dividend sooner.

Or maybe it’s all to loot to corpse and leave everyone with the bag. It is gambling after all, it’s just pretty much the same bet it was last week. Wait 3-6 months and collect premium. If anything the reverse split might lead to a more robust options market with a better variety of strikes.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

paternity suitor posted:

Dilution is literally taking your money as a shareholder, yes, it's bad

Yup. I've been big on AHT since it was sitting at $2.00. I've been in and out a few times due to getting assigned on covered calls. Due to luck more than anything I won't be taking that big a loss here but the writings on the wall. It's time to get out folks. Even with the reverse split further dilution is going to ensure this isn't a $50 stock. Or a $40 stock. Not even a $30 stock. It's time to get out before this gets worse because it won't be getting better.

If you think hotels are still a good play there are better places to put your money. As much as it hurts eat the loss and move on.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

AHT’s management company, AINC, does not have a good reputation for managing their REITs to benefit owners of the REITs. I haven’t taken a deep dive or anything but this is something you should pay attention to when you’re looking at MLPs or externally managed REITs.

I wish I had read up on AHT in depth because it's a coma victim AINC is sucking the blood out of. I can't find all the letters consolidated anywhere but if you google "Cygnus Capital" Ashford there is a world of discovery out there for you. AHT's diluting like mad while paying AINC and other AINC subsidiaries huge advisory fees on every refinance/offering in addition to the management fee to AINC (I can't find how much this actually is but I think it's gotta be at least like $7.5 million/month based on S&G ratio and market cap in 2017) plus about another million a month to another AINC subsidiary to manage their hotels.

I'm putting BHR on my watchlist to short after the pump and dump rotates to that one.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Are there any good resources to look at for previous reverse splits or any advice people care to give? I was looking to get out of AHT once my latest calls were jettisoned, but bagholded right into this brick wall of a split.

I’m just wondering/hoping there’s some bounce on tuesday to sell at. I’m not sure if I should even be trying that at all or just cut the loss at open.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lesson from AMC - always keeping holding because it will just keep going up!

Lesson from AHT - never keep holding sell the moment it spikes!

:thunk:

I shouldn't be that salty I'm gonna walk away with good profits on both but still I left about half the money I could have made on the table in each case. I get the fundamentals part of it with AHT now and thanks again to those who pointed it all out in this thread. Was there any similar way to see that AMC was going to keep going up (I'm talking about from like the 25 to 50 range here)? Or was that just pure irrational memery?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Pure irrational memery

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

live by the meme, lose by the meme

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I wish I had read up on AHT in depth because it's a coma victim AINC is sucking the blood out of. I can't find all the letters consolidated anywhere but if you google "Cygnus Capital" Ashford there is a world of discovery out there for you. AHT's diluting like mad while paying AINC and other AINC subsidiaries huge advisory fees on every refinance/offering in addition to the management fee to AINC (I can't find how much this actually is but I think it's gotta be at least like $7.5 million/month based on S&G ratio and market cap in 2017) plus about another million a month to another AINC subsidiary to manage their hotels.

I'm putting BHR on my watchlist to short after the pump and dump rotates to that one.

this is kind of amusing because AINC is another microcap with negative book value and negative income. what kind of shell game is going on here? finviz claims AINC's forward p/e is 6, but, in the last 5 years it has only had 2 quarters with positive earnings. there is some pro-level grifting going on somewhere in all this

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It’s depreciation, one weird trick to lose money without losing money.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Uranium 235 posted:

have you guys tried not bagholding?

I got in at $5.70 and out at $6.17 in a small enough position where I didn't make any significant money from the trade, but at least I'm not holding AHT!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

pmchem posted:

there is some pro-level grifting going on somewhere in all this

mods please etc.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Can someone just give me some new stocks to start bag holding for starting next week?

Paging @pmchem.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Hopefully AHT doesn't plummet even further in pre market Tuesday before I sell. Oh well, onto the next loss.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

All the people who dont have access to AH trading or werent paying attention Friday evening are going to be lined up to sell. Its going to be a bloodbath.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

dipwood posted:

Can someone just give me some new stocks to start bag holding for starting next week?

Paging @pmchem.

It's loving bananas that DPLS was my best performer ever and it was a sub-sub-penny stock, and AMC was second.

After getting rear end-blasted by AHT I need more big dumb wins.

Come on. I know y'all are holding out on a stock where I can get 5000 shares for less than a new Nintendo game. Don't hold out on me. They're going to break my legs. Please.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Put money in ASPS and wait. Of course you probably shouldnt trust my advice on this topic since Im right here bag holding as well.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's loving bananas that DPLS was my best performer ever and it was a sub-sub-penny stock, and AMC was second.

Come on. I know y'all are holding out on a stock where I can get 5000 shares for less than a new Nintendo game. Don't hold out on me. They're going to break my legs. Please.

RNSFF/RECAF

I have a friend who's convinced these will blow up after their meeting on the 8th. RNSFF shares will at some point convert to .46 shares of RECAF, which is a Canadian oil company. Supposedly they've seen good results from their test wells in Namibia. Anyway, I bought in for a few hundred bucks just to shut him up, but if you're looking for an easy penny stock with maybe a slight chance of being a thing RNSFF could scratch that itch.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Most of you probably shouldn't do the meme stock thing anyway, just do SPY calls all the time instead. You would've been rich.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

most of you in this thread have no edge and the difference in your results is just natural variance. if you aren’t working toward the specific goal of finding some kind of edge (that gives you a positive expectancy over the long run) then you’re wasting your time and money

usually when someone has edge they can tell you what kinds of setups tend to work for them, what kinds of stocks they trade (what do they have in common), what timeframe they trade on, and how they will know whether their trade thesis is confirmed or negated.

if you aren’t thinking about this stuff then either start doing so, consider quitting, or keep playing the slots because it’s fun and you don’t mind the cost

but if you want to make money then you’ll have to figure out an edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Have you considered holding good stocks for the long term?