Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

FredMSloniker posted:

This is a bit off-topic for this thread, but I didn't see one that was more on-topic; please direct me in the right, er, direction.

I'm looking for a job with actual, you know, benefits (especially paying into Social Security) that I can do from home, but I have zero idea of how to find one. I haven't had a "real" job in years for a variety of reasons - been doing stuff like DoorDash, for one - so I'm also going to need help on the "landing a job" side of things; I imagine places that offer benefits aren't going to let me just take an online test. Where should I start?

Try the federal jobs thread. Pickings are a bit slim right now and the process is onerous because government, but there's some mincome-ish stuff out there that still involves the fantastic federal benefits system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I couldn't find a BFC thread on forex trading, possibly because it's a sure-fire way to lose money. But I'm curious. Any recs on brokerages and getting started? This would just be a hobby while I'm laid up with a sore leg so I'd not be depending on this to eat.

e. Actually don't worry I'll look on Reddit

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 2, 2020

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yikes. An article about a work-from-home customer service company.

https://www.propublica.org/article/meet-the-customer-service-reps-for-disney-and-airbnb-who-have-to-pay-to-talk-to-you

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Yeah, their peers (I've worked for LiveOps myself, plus Sitel but I was a W2 employee for the brief time I was there) are no better. The whole industry is poo poo in new and exciting ways.

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

Weird question, but I figure if anybody knows, it would be in this thread. I have a Infinity IN-USB-2 foot pedal, and I'd like to use it for other things besides transcription. Does anybody know how to set it up as a device I could use with Joy2Key or a similar program? I'm on Windows 10.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Is there a new thread for monetizing blogs somewhere? I recently setup a freemium-style paywall on my site, but in a month I've only gotten 5 sign-ups. So was looking to bounce a few ideas off other goons about pricing etc.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So I get that BFC is a low traffic forum, but I thought this thread would have seen more traffic by now considering the current pandemic. Should I take that as a sign?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I can't speak for anyone else, but my writing career has just been slowly growing and all the pandemic has done is slightly shifted the focus of some articles for some clients. I've written half a dozen blog posts about proper mask use and care and all that, for example. But all of this is through a private client, not through a content mill, so I dunno how all of that is faring.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Uh the transcription and captioning market at least on my end has been absolutely blowing up, but I can't speak for how a newbie would do.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I haven't been doing much online work (my regular job moved to WFH in March), but I really should redo my writeup on Amazon Mechanical Turk. It's now years out of date, and we have a subreddit and a Slack workspace now (as well as an entirely new site for that kind of work!) that I really need to point to in the writeup. :)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PurpleButterfly posted:

I haven't been doing much online work (my regular job moved to WFH in March), but I really should redo my writeup on Amazon Mechanical Turk. It's now years out of date, and we have a subreddit and a Slack workspace now (as well as an entirely new site for that kind of work!) that I really need to point to in the writeup. :)

I'd be interesting in reading that.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Nighthand posted:

Sometimes I look back on my early posts in this thread and am amazed at how much I've fallen into accidental success. Going from textbroker to being picked up as a dedicated writer for a bunch of blogs was one thing, but now the guy who runs them has started a content marketing agency and is raking in new clients faster than he expected. I've barely had to put effort into building this career and it keeps improving in front of me.

How many of you still do writing? Depending on how quickly this agency grows, we may need to pick up another writer or two to pick up the slack I can't handle all on my own. I'll be sure to post here when that happens, of course, but I'm curious how many of you still do writing versus the usual transcription.

How much do writers for content agencies get paid? Is it a lot better than something like constant content?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

oliveoil posted:

How much do writers for content agencies get paid? Is it a lot better than something like constant content?

I've posted about Writers Domain, and I say I get on average $15 for a 400 word blog spam post that nobody ready that can be knocked out in 15-20 minutes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My "agency" is like ~3 people right now; my client who does all the hunting customers and managing titles and stuff, me doing writing, and a phone support guy. I think we picked up a fourth recently to do some of the CMS stuff for the simpler customers. So, we're still on what works out as "the high end of Textbroker" kind of prices. I'd initially be hiring at 5 cents a word for 2,000-word posts if/when I get to that point, though it's possible we'll have cranked up prices a bit by then so I dunno for sure. (Personally I get a bit more than that but I'd be taking a skim off the top for editing/writer wrangling etc.) That's all assuming I don't transition to an actual salaried Managing Editor kind of role. Really we're just playing this thing by ear, neither of us expected to grow as much this year as we have.

As for the "real" agencies out there, it's all pretty opaque. I assume some of them are just fronts for people buying content on textbroker or verblio or whatever, some have their own pools of abused freelancers, and some of them pay real rates, but it's hard to know without actually getting inside one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I worked for an SEO agency for a year before flaming out because they really, really sucked to work at. We were paid ~32k / yr to write 3,000 words per day, half that if they were 'premium content' which meant the blogs were expected to be read by someone at some point. so that's 375 words an hour, each getting you about 15 bucks. or double that for premium content.

a given writer would write for a couple differetn companies, which were handled by an account manager. an editorial manager would manage content. Writers also edited an equivalent number of of words, with each word edited counting as half of a word. So you could edit 6,000 words / day and not write anything.

Your stuff was expected to be readable and reflect a certain tone that varied from company to company - you couldn't quite spam words out and expect to get away with it. You had free reign over what the article was about as long as it hit certain keywords and wasn't a repeat of previous articles. Frequently we'd rewrite news briefs with a mention of a product offering and a link to the cited news source, that kind of thing.

We were definitely a lower-end firm. I knew some people who transitioned into higher-end advertising roles from there, which paid significantly better.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Did something I haven't done in a very long time today. Tapped out on a job. Client wanted an hour of Alex Jones transcribed verbatim. I made it about six minutes in and said, "you know what, you're not paying me enough to listen to this poo poo let alone transcribe it."

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I just can't even imagine. I mean first off it would just have to be in all caps. Was he talking about eating the neighbour again?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I just can't even imagine. I mean first off it would just have to be in all caps. Was he talking about eating the neighbour again?

It was a "best of" compilation apparently. Something about teaching children to eat poop, something about being chained up in a basement and fighting a giant worm that apparently represented those of us who aren't Nazis, and then he started talking about Muslims and when I realized the customer wanted me to try to transliterate his racist Muslim gibberish instead of being able to tag it as [racist Muslim gibberish] I bailed. The client was absolutely understanding, fortunately. :)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1335339616778428418
jesus christ

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Impermanent posted:

I worked for an SEO agency for a year before flaming out because they really, really sucked to work at. We were paid ~32k / yr to write 3,000 words per day, half that if they were 'premium content' which meant the blogs were expected to be read by someone at some point. so that's 375 words an hour, each getting you about 15 bucks. or double that for premium content.

I mean... you can make the same money at a content mill like Writers Domain, but knock that poo poo out in like 3 hours a day instead of 8. I knock out 400 words in 20 minutes and get burned out after about 5 in a row.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

no longer exists, whatd it say?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Spacewolf posted:

no longer exists, whatd it say?
The context is a journalist asked the best way to transcribe a video. He, a reporter for the WSJ, said to play it loud on your computer, record the audio on your phone via voice memo, and then send in that to a transcription service.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

The context is a journalist asked the best way to transcribe a video. He, a reporter for the WSJ, said to play it loud on your computer, record the audio on your phone via voice memo, and then send in that to a transcription service.

Laughing to keep from crying.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've probably done work for that idiot.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

I've probably done work for that idiot.

I bet he likes to set the mic to only record when it registers sound too because savings!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

so what is the best way clever clogs?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Breath Ray posted:

so what is the best way clever clogs?

Clearly transfer it to a wax cylinder and send it by carriage.

(The actual answer is email or upload the file as close as possible to the original recording or the first conversion to digital if the source is analog. Or just send me the URL if it's a public post and I'll rip the file and convert it myself. Essentially, don't gently caress with it, because chances are you're going to gently caress with in a completely different way than I'd gently caress with it and I'm just going to have to re-convert it on top of whatever you did. We want to kill the dipshits that hold up a microphone to a speaker and assume that's suitable for audio transfer. We want to kill them real slow. Line in exists for a reason, motherfucker.)

(I just had a flashback to a customer that sent me a video that consisted of them recording a Facebook video off their computer screen using their phone. The horror. The horror.)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 8, 2020

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Sorry Kaz, we didn't have any microphones around, but I read that you can plug earbuds into the mic port and they kind of work the same way so I did that, hopefully this isn't too bad!

*sends u 45 minutes of static and drones with barely-audible words*

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
ha fair enough. otoh the more clueless the journalist the more extra jobs they create for people with an ounce of sense. in a similar vein we kicked out all the aides and secretaries and now we have a mushroom shaped organisation where we spend hours scratching our heads trying to work out how to claim expenses ftl

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

My "favourite" assignment was "Here's a roomful of 18 people we're conducting a multiple hour interview of via a phone on a table, no we won't give you names or aliases or answer any questions but we want you to identify and separate each speaker, when can we expect this?"

they were healthcare professionals not patients, in a program I had worked with countless times before with other researchers who were not insane. i told my company outright to reject it but they insist i give it the old college try and wasted hundreds of dollars and much of my time trying to give them SOMETHING

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, if a client's willing to pay for my time I'll absolutely gird up my loins and dive into something batshit like that. A per-minute client hands me that poo poo and all of a sudden I have to wash my hair.

Loving my customer who keeps sending me old game shows to caption. Although I think I hear "This is [Gene Wood/Johnny Olson] speaking for XXXXX, a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman production" in my sleep now.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is the information in the OP about transcription still accurate, in particular the information about per-minute rates? A little different from the usual posting in the thread, but my company is considering starting to transcribe all our video content (and we have... a lot), and we're looking at either training up some people internally, hiring freelancers (through a company or independently) or maybe hiring someone full-time to handle it (or some combination of these - we produce at least six hours a day of video, just in my department, so just one person handling it might be rough). I think we might be a little wary of hiring just any freelancer, though - we teach computer programming/web development, so there's a lot of technical jargon and a mistake in transcribing that can lead to students being stuck.

(of course if you have experience in transcription and also happen to be a computer programmer, or at least familiar with programming jargon, maybe shoot me a PM? I don't have any firm details/can't make any actual offers right now, but this is something I'm trying to push for in the company for accessibility reasons and the more information I have when I go talk about this, the better)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Epsilon Plus posted:

Is the information in the OP about transcription still accurate, in particular the information about per-minute rates? A little different from the usual posting in the thread, but my company is considering starting to transcribe all our video content (and we have... a lot), and we're looking at either training up some people internally, hiring freelancers (through a company or independently) or maybe hiring someone full-time to handle it (or some combination of these - we produce at least six hours a day of video, just in my department, so just one person handling it might be rough). I think we might be a little wary of hiring just any freelancer, though - we teach computer programming/web development, so there's a lot of technical jargon and a mistake in transcribing that can lead to students being stuck.

(of course if you have experience in transcription and also happen to be a computer programmer, or at least familiar with programming jargon, maybe shoot me a PM? I don't have any firm details/can't make any actual offers right now, but this is something I'm trying to push for in the company for accessibility reasons and the more information I have when I go talk about this, the better)

I would say that it entirely depends on the quality of the audio/video and when you say transcribing do you mean just transcripts or are you looking for captions? And if captions open or closed? Because those numbers vary wildly.

6 hours a day would literally kill a person, so yeah you'd need a few freelancers or an ongoing relationship with a company. Also a bunch of us for instance work with JKL for a while so probably wound up doing a lot of all hands meetings for a certain definitely not evil tech giant. General transcription gets you typically a weird amount of tech and science jargon experience, but you'd still be better off generating a glossary if possible to provide them context.

And if any of your trainers sound like my old stats proff then you need to pay them more because they need money for coffee.

Margins vary depending on the company though and how fast you typically need to turn files around and that would definitely impact the companies or people I think most of us would recommend. That might be the opposite of helpful. It's really a very bespoke industry in a lot of ways. Good luck!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Speaking of transcription, I'm looking to get back into it. I did work for Focus Forward years ago but it's looking like I'll need to retake their entry test to get assignments from them so I figured I'd look around for the best places to do it now. I have a foot pedal and have used a few different pieces of transcription software. I'm only looking to do something really part time if that makes a difference.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
They're probably your best bet to be honest.

I don't have any insights from the inside of Daily Transcription but it's a shitshow on the inside. Avoid Rev.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

PurpleButterfly posted:

I'd read that!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm quite desperate for income at the moment, but stuck with only being able to look for physical location work in a 5 mile radius of me within a smallish suburb in the Midwest. I've used this thread several times in the past, so I already have experience with certain places like Appen and Support.com (ugh), but reading this last page (which goes back to last year) I'm still hoping to hear some current recommendations or opportunities for anything from support work to customer service to transcription to content writing to whatever it is really. I've just seen Focus Forward and Writer's Domain mentioned so I'll check those out, but if there's anything else anyone can tell us about I'd appreciate your time. Thanks.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm quite desperate for income at the moment, but stuck with only being able to look for physical location work in a 5 mile radius of me within a smallish suburb in the Midwest. I've used this thread several times in the past, so I already have experience with certain places like Appen and Support.com (ugh), but reading this last page (which goes back to last year) I'm still hoping to hear some current recommendations or opportunities for anything from support work to customer service to transcription to content writing to whatever it is really. I've just seen Focus Forward and Writer's Domain mentioned so I'll check those out, but if there's anything else anyone can tell us about I'd appreciate your time. Thanks.

sure, Verblio (formerly blogmutt) is still really good for freelance writing i assume, I haven't written much since i took a new FT position late last year, but here's what I wrote a bit ago on it:

quote:

Verblio (fka Blogmutt, pre-2018) is a fancy, gussied-up content mill. They take care to ensure that writers don't feel they're treated like cattle (they are) and they do their best to hide that you're writing on spec (you are). If you have any experience with freelancing, your brain should be going .

Yes, that means that you might write a full article and not get paid (in fact, this is virtually guaranteed, and can happen 1/3 of the time or more when you're just starting). The vendor outlines an article they want with anything from five words to a full two-page outline and writers can "compete" to deliver the best product. The vendor then purchases that article and that writer is paid, everyone else gets nothing. You retain the ownership of any unpurchased writing. This means you can repurpose it for another client or put it on Constant Content or something. There's strategy here. If you're not guaranteed a sale, it makes more sense to write something like 10 Ways To Get A Jump On Spring Cleaning (so you can resell it) than it does to write something more specific like "Orientation Material for Geico's 2017 Spring Seminar".

Acceptance rates usually start at ~60% for solid writers since to start you're going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel and fighting for short pieces with other new writers (or those that haven't been able to progress). The gimmick of Verblio is that you earn "points" and "level up". Each level confers "perks" but the only ones that matter are really matter are level 4, which gives access to 600-950 word jobs, level 6, which allows 1000-1400 words, and level 8 for 1500 words. Also, you get a T-shirt at level 6 and you can join their stupid linkedin verblio writers group at level 5. Whatever. Also, at level 8 you begin earning "Shares of the Company" which I cannot imagine have any real value.

So what's the point?

The point is that the money is good, for a content mill.

300-550 words: $10.50-$19.25
600-950 words: $21.00-$46.38
1000-1400 words: $50.00-$82.00
1500-1900 words: $90.00-$122.00
2000-3000 words: $130.00-$210.00

Starting at better than 3 cents a word and going up to 7, it's not peanuts. The longer pieces can take the better part of a day, but, you know, a hundred bucks! Also, since the rates are set by Verblio you can just select the pieces you want to write most without worrying about this specific client's rate. As I said, acceptance rates usually start around 60% since there's competition but once you get to 600+ words you can easily break 90%. There's lots of articles to write and less competition, plus the website is quite good at letting you know how many other drafts or submitted pieces there are for the assignment. There's a forum on the website that's pretty good about answering any technical questions (and very, very dumb about everything else). They reliably pay every Monday.

i don't know, it's fine. anybody have questions about it?

since then they've bumped pay rates again:

300: $11.50
600: $23.00
1000: $57.00
1500: $94.50
2000: $140.00

I have also received my "company shares", i have no idea what the hell that is/does.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Longbaugh01 posted:

Writers Domain is not accepting any more writers. Work is not scarce again, but it runs out from time to time. Think they finally found a good balance of writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

y/n?

Wonder what trash you have to listen to to make $30 an hour and at 300x?