Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

skasion posted:

Wasn’t the original plan for Alien 3 to be a cyberpunk-type Aliens on Earth story?

One of the early trailers made it seem like it was going to be on earth, but I don’t recall any of the script drafts actually taking place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Last I remember, Alien 3's original script included a planet made of wood.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xenomrph posted:

One of the early trailers made it seem like it was going to be on earth, but I don’t recall any of the script drafts actually taking place there.

I looked it up. I was thinking of William Gibson’s treatment, which I always remembered as taking place in America, but it turns out it’s set on a space station that’s a giant shopping mall under attack by communists.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Last I remember, Alien 3's original script included a planet made of wood.

This is another treatment. David Twohy (guy behind the Riddick movies) came in and introduced the “prison planet” concept that made it into the finished film, but before they went with that, they kind of sidetracked into a “wooden monastery in space” concept. The finished movie follows the plot structure of this treatment, but uses the less wild prison planet setting of Twohy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A lot of Twohy’s prison planet ideas would show up in his later movie ‘Chronicles of Riddick’.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

People bitching that they are "making Aliens political" by telling stories of exploitative capital and class division remind me of the guys who I guess never peeped the liner notes get mad at RATM for being the same band they've been for 25 years.

An Earth Hive story is perfect for it to.

"Sure we can airlift you out of Quarantine Zone Reykjavik, as long as you present your Platinum WY Luxury Habitation Perks Card."

The aforementioned covid paralels people thinking they'll just wait it out in there New Zealand bunkers.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

People bitching that they are "making Aliens political" by telling stories of exploitative capital and class division remind me of the guys who I guess never peeped the liner notes get mad at RATM for being the same band they've been for 25 years.
Same as the supposed Star Trek fans complaining about the new shows being "woke." Like, it's been about social issues since day one, you dumb motherfuckers.

How much clearer do you need it to be?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A side character showing the main character youtube videos of Space Karens waving their homemade "cannot wear acid resistant mouth shield for medical reasons" notes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure that if Xenos got loose on Earth, that it wouldn't be such a big deal. Yeah, there would be some deaths obviously, but governments would quickly realize what's happening, and take immediate steps to stop it from spreading. Average folks would be unprepared at first, but once the word got out about what was happening, and how all of humanity was at risk, we would all unite to do what needs to be done. People wouldn't just ignore such a visible threat killing millions around the world.

This made me sad. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

That just reminded me of the thin blue line flag waving old white people dancing around to Killing in the Name Of on a big speaker outside at a rally with zero awareness.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
some people are just so far gone its honestly better to just nuke the whole site from orbit

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Is it the only way to be sure? :ohdear:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Let's face it, being face hugged might be the most kindest outcome over certain idiots being in charge again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What I like about being facehugged is that, at the least, you have no memory of it. They're not freaking out and flapping around like they're drowning after like 10 seconds of it so it must sedate them somehow.

Well then the whole chest bursting part but it can't be THAT bad right?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It’s probably just fine.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

What I like about being facehugged is that, at the least, you have no memory of it. They're not freaking out and flapping around like they're drowning after like 10 seconds of it so it must sedate them somehow.

It can't be any worse than flaming diarrhea after eating at a third rate taco joint.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

skasion posted:

I looked it up. I was thinking of William Gibson’s treatment, which I always remembered as taking place in America, but it turns out it’s set on a space station that’s a giant shopping mall under attack by communists.

This is another treatment. David Twohy (guy behind the Riddick movies) came in and introduced the “prison planet” concept that made it into the finished film, but before they went with that, they kind of sidetracked into a “wooden monastery in space” concept. The finished movie follows the plot structure of this treatment, but uses the less wild prison planet setting of Twohy.

The wooden monastery in space was Vincent Ward (of What Dreams May Come, Vigil and The Navigator fame), and ended up getting Story credit.

Alien 3 was a complete mess and clearly a nightmare production - I can't even begin to imagine how demoralising it would have been for David Fincher on his first feature film - and it's honestly a loving miracle that they were able to cobble together something that wasn't completely terrible.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched Alien 3 last night. Drunkenly, but I watched it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Assembly or theatrical cut?

Tangentially, I watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo earlier today. It's mildly impressive how Fincher evolved as a director.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

A lot of Twohy’s prison planet ideas would show up in his later movie ‘Chronicles of Riddick’.

Another cinematic masterpiece.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tangentially, I watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo earlier today. It's mildly impressive how Fincher evolved as a director.

The theatrical cut has its moments, but the assembly cut is the superior version. It just needs some wonky special effects and audio to be cleaned up - and also, have the Queen chestburster burst Ripley's chest, for gently caress's sake. I have no idea what the point was in removing that, and the music to cover up the missing bit just seems to awkward.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Assembly for sure. I basically don't even remember the other cuts of movies because I watch these exclusively.

Including the Aliens Director's Cut.

Yes. That's all I watch.

Fight me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alien theatrical cut > Alien director's cut
No question. The poo poo that got cut for the theatrical cut deserved to stay cut.

Aliens director's cut > Aliens theatrical cut
The director's cut feels more complete, and while there's some stuff that I wouldn't miss if it were excised again, the sentry gun scene is really good poo poo, as is the first official reveal of Ripley's first name.

Alien3 assembly cut > Alien 3 theatrical cut
Everything that got cut to make the theatrical cut should have been added back in. Meanwhile, the only area where the theatrical cut wins out is that it doesn't have the visible audio-seam from when they cut the bit where the chestburster is pops out when Ripley does her Nestea plunge.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

Another cinematic masterpiece.

Hey, I like the Riddick movies (and video games).

Another good Twohy joint is ‘Below’ (which coincidentally stars Holt McCallany, who played the prisoner Junior in Alien3).

edogawa rando posted:

The theatrical cut has its moments, but the assembly cut is the superior version. It just needs some wonky special effects and audio to be cleaned up - and also, have the Queen chestburster burst Ripley's chest, for gently caress's sake. I have no idea what the point was in removing that, and the music to cover up the missing bit just seems to awkward.

I think they removed it to show that Ripley has full agency over the situation and she dies on her own terms, not by a painful chest bursting.

That said I agree it’s better with the chestburster.

In the script and comic book adaptation (and possibly the novelization, I’d have to check), the Queen actually pops out before Ripley jumps and her dying act is grabbing it before it can escape, and then she tumbles backward into the furnace while holding it.

My ideal cuts of Alien and Alien3 would actually have elements of both versions. With Alien3, I prefer having the dog as the Alien host, and the EEV crash and salvage as it is in the theatrical cut.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ripley grabs a hold of it in the theatrical cut as well. I have no idea where it could escape to though. Ripley's mid-air and there aren't any surfaces the little penis can scuttle on to without landing on the molten lead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure that if Xenos got loose on Earth, that it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Uhhhh....did you see how we dealt with the pandemic? I know you said "earth" and not the U.S. so maybe you're right but I think we'd be hosed right proper.

Oh, wait. My sarcasm detector plug in wasn't updated for aliens talk.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I popped in here to say I'm drunk and am watching Aliens again.

That info about the TV show though. I'm not thrilled that it's taking place on Earth in the exact way that they thought it should. It's contained on other desolate places which I think is great. They are doing whatever they can, including killing themselves, to not bring it back to earth. Having it run rampantly here, which I'm assuming they won't for quite a while but that'll be a big plot point to keep it from doing that, will turn into a zombie show. It'll be the same thing every episode. Monster of the week bs. I don't trust TV. With TV, their entire goal is to get you to join "next week." It doesn't matter what this week does. As long as you come back next week. With a movie, it's a self contained beast. You get the beginning, struggle, payoff. It's all there. TV is all about you coming back and they use sleezy tricks.

I'm not a fan.

I'm also not an optimist mind you.

While this is a sensible concern, I remember seeing Jurassic Park 2 for the first time and it felt so cool that t-rex got an adventure in suburbia. I could dig like a limited series of a xeno infestation on Earth in the same fashion, but if they want this to be a "novel" take on the endless zombie shows, I'm less impressed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Uhhhh....did you see how we dealt with the pandemic? I know you said "earth" and not the U.S. so maybe you're right but I think we'd be hosed right proper.

Oh, wait. My sarcasm detector plug in wasn't updated for aliens talk.

So, New Zealand is going to be overall OK?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Xenomrph posted:

Another good Twohy joint is ‘Below’ (which coincidentally stars Holt McCallany, who played the prisoner Junior in Alien3).

Below rules and is one of those you can never see for the first time again :(

Also features Zack Galifianakis in a serious role.

It is so open to interpretation as to what happens.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

skasion posted:

Wasn’t the original plan for Alien 3 to be a cyberpunk-type Aliens on Earth story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3yZ6BupKQo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BiggerBoat posted:

Uhhhh....did you see how we dealt with the pandemic?

Well we didn't treat that like a big deal either, so...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If anyone remembers AvP 2... they basically nuked the whole loving town.

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It’s because they are good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's 12:35am Alien is on TV (SyFy) right now.

I'm watching it.

Also drunk again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

With a movie, it's a self contained beast.
This may have been true at some point but cinematic universe

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I saw a comment on a clip from Aliens recently where someone said it was his favorite action movie because it didn't have "feminism shoved in it" like everything else

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Me too! Escape from Butcher Bay was cool as hell. What was the second one called, Dark Athena or something? I remember it not being as good as Butcher Bay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Class Warcraft posted:

I saw a comment on a clip from Aliens recently where someone said it was his favorite action movie because it didn't have "feminism shoved in it" like everything else

Hahahaha holy poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Class Warcraft posted:

using all my willpower to reimagine the ending where hicks, half-blind from acid goes and saves newt while ripley cooks him a casserole in the drop ship

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Biplane posted:

Me too! Escape from Butcher Bay was cool as hell. What was the second one called, Dark Athena or something? I remember it not being as good as Butcher Bay.

Assault on Dark Athena is alright. Kind of short if I recall. Strong Aliens vibes, complete with little girl who lives in the vents.

Butcher Bay is a good game. Probably better at what it does than any of the movies, as much as I love them.

Both are quite annoying to find nowadays, they got pulled from Steam/GOG a couple years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Lately I would settle for getting facehugged because it would at least still be a hug :smith: