Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

wolfs posted:

my partner never wants to watch gundams with me is hathaway good looking enough to distract her from it being mechs

I don’t think I can convince her to watch Char’a Counterattack at this point

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

wolfs posted:

my partner never wants to watch gundams with me is hathaway good looking enough to distract her from it being mechs

There's two mech action scenes really. Like half of the movie is two dudes trying to gently caress an annoying 19yo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Hathaway is loving gorgeous. The whole movie is set in Davou in the Phillipines, so it's gorgeous tropical scenery throughout. Just give your girlfriend a gameboy or whatever so she can sit through the spaceliner scenes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

wolfs posted:

You could try Unicorn, that's got very good modern animation too. A lot more robot action tho.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

lmfao wonder egg ended on the wettest stupidest fart possible

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I got her to agree to watching it!

over the last 6 years I have introduced her to quality anime and mangos (and horror movies but there isn’t a cspam horror thread for some reason) where before she had no interest in the stuff but beyond loving Evangelion giant robots have never clicked

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

wolfs posted:

I got her to agree to watching it!

over the last 6 years I have introduced her to quality anime and mangos (and horror movies but there isn’t a cspam horror thread for some reason) where before she had no interest in the stuff but beyond loving Evangelion giant robots have never clicked

Make her watch Gurren Lagann

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My wife has been binging dbz kai with me and I'm enjoying the commentary

Some of her names for characters:

Dende = Green Baby
Vegeta = Vegetable Man
Ginyu = Grimace
Frieza = Miss Frieza (and scolds other characters for misgendering her)

Also said frequently - "this show's a mess"

she finds it alright and is entertained at least :v:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It'd be nice if there was a DBZ/Kai supercut with all of the fun filler episodes and none of the time wasting.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
bring back the episode where goku learns to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
A lot of the filler episodes are good, some of them flat out improve the story. And while some of the original pacing episode from episode isn't great, some of the long scenes building up to big attacks are pretty great and make the attacks seem that much more impressive and cool. Vegeta's Final Flash should have three minutes of hype, drat it!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Counterpoint, the amount of padding and annoying poo poo draws out the latter half of Namek, the Cell Games and the entire Buu saga to the point that they're excruciating to power through and i appreciate having Kai as an alternative

There's definitely some entertaining filler though - seeing the Ginyu force get owned on king kai's planet after everyone training ruled, the driving of course, the pendulum room with the Saiyans, that shits cool but it just isn't worth adding literally hundreds of episodes of loving nothing

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Samurai Champloo made christianity radical and subversive and supported it through ally-ship which is extremely weird to see from a western lens since, here, evangelicals are largely influential and hate others.

I didn't like the zombie episode

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

Samurai Champloo made christianity radical and subversive and supported it through ally-ship which is extremely weird to see from a western lens since, here, evangelicals are largely influential and hate others.

Devilman Crybaby also had a positive view of Christianity. It's easier to view it positively as a minority religion whose precepts and practices can be a lens to viewing your own society critically. It's a little different for the Koreans, whose Christians tend to be deadeyed psychopaths and extremely powerful to boot.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

the zombie episode was good harmless Halloween fun and you have no soul :colbert:

the Christianity episode felt indifferent about Christianity itself and more focused on the effects of persecution, which were definitely cruel to normal every day converts regardless of how much Christianity kinda sucks and is a tool for western influence

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Im trying to remember there name of an anime from a clip I saw a while back bur have forgotten the name of. On the clip these Portuguese or Brazilian tourists get off a bus with a mistranslated tshirts and freak a bunch of people out, anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? It's been needling me all night for some reason

Also since it sounds like Wonder Egg Priority fizzed at the end, is Outside Picnic worth watching?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Also since it sounds like Wonder Egg Priority fizzed at the end, is Outside Picnic worth watching?

The premise seemed cool at first, but I got tired of it quickly. Each episode is just the same thing - girls go to strange place, wander around a bit, find a weird monster, defeat it or escape, rinse and repeat. There's little overarching plot, interesting mysteries or clear themes, animation is so-so. Also it seemed like it had some production issues and episodes are out of order. That's a pass for me, I peaced out after I think first 5 or 6 eps.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the LNs are much, much better. i'm real bummed they got such a blah adaptation

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
also speaking of Otherside Picnic, holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/amanogawatenri/status/1411141467381243907

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gundam Hathaway rocks, and is very atypical of a Gundam movie since it has such a narrow focus on the human scale of the conflict. Not nearly as much mecha action as you'd suppose it would have. My only real complaint is that it's inconclusive since it's just setting up a sequel show or movie.
it was very good, especially after NT, which was the opposite

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the LNs are much, much better. i'm real bummed they got such a blah adaptation

Seconding this. The Otherside Picnic LNs are so much better than the anime adaptation. There's currently 4 out of 6 translated into English, with the final two volumes coming this year and next, I think.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite thing about G Hathaway is how it pays attention to the minute details when it comes to collateral damage. Like, this was about as detailed as collateral damage got before in F91:

In Hathaway you have superheated Minovsky particles sprinkling off and melting roads & steel. It never gets explicit with how this would effect people, but it does create a palpable sense of danger for everyone who is caught in the crossfire.
yeah this was very well-done. for the first time since that scene from f91, hathaway really drives home the reality that these wow cool robot fights would be terrifying as a bystander. RIP gigi's handbag.

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 10:17 on Jul 3, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The bit where they shelter in the apartment building is great because there's no way to tell, from their perspective, that a mobile suit has landed on the roof and is about to cave in that whole side of the building.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bit where they shelter in the apartment building is great because there's no way to tell, from their perspective, that a mobile suit has landed on the roof and is about to cave in that whole side of the building.
i had the same reaction and it was SO good. i need to get a gif of when everyone was trying to get away from the battle, and emerelda (my wife) stopped running, covered her ears and faced away from the imminent shockwave when she saw the plasma beam fired. hathaway did all the archetypical fun Gundam Stuff (war = bad, Wow Cool Robot, all the good guys and bad guys inexplicably hang out) without any of the bad stuff (implausible character motivations or confusing editing choices). Lane Aim fitting into the “what if gundam pilot but too young with untapped potential” as a side character where he would traditionally be the main character is a nice twist as well. all around fantastic. great to see gundam make me immediately give a poo poo about UC characters that aren’t amuro and char.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

and emerelda (my wife)

It is a bit much that every woman in Noa's crew is a stonecold smokeshow, but w/e.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Im trying to remember there name of an anime from a clip I saw a while back bur have forgotten the name of. On the clip these Portuguese or Brazilian tourists get off a bus with a mistranslated tshirts and freak a bunch of people out, anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? It's been needling me all night for some reason

Sakura Quest, somewhere around halfway through the show. It's a show about rural Japanese towns and their slow decline along with attempts at revivication. I quite liked it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's true folks, Hathaway rocked

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

net work error posted:

It's true folks, Hathaway rocked

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know the whole “war/terrorism is bad” theme of Gundam means there’s no way this ends well for Hathaway. But at this point the Federation has been written as so cartoonishly corrupt and evil for so long it’s hard to see him as anything but 100% totally correct and justified. Usually the federation gets by on the fact that this week’s iteration of Zeon are literally Space Nazi’s, but Hathaway is basically fighting for equal treatment of all citizens instead of preaching master race rhetoric, and is only targeting politicians rather than using WMDs on population centers.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

KomradeX posted:

Posters here seemed largely lukewarm on it but I enjoyed it a lot

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Posters here seemed largely lukewarm on it but I enjoyed it a lot

I enjoyed it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I know the whole “war/terrorism is bad” theme of Gundam means there’s no way this ends well for Hathaway. But at this point the Federation has been written as so cartoonishly corrupt and evil for so long it’s hard to see him as anything but 100% totally correct and justified. Usually the federation gets by on the fact that this week’s iteration of Zeon are literally Space Nazi’s, but Hathaway is basically fighting for equal treatment of all citizens instead of preaching master race rhetoric, and is only targeting politicians rather than using WMDs on population centers.

I mean, there were definitely some civilian casualties from the attack on the hotels and subsequent mobile suit battle. You could argue that this is acceptable collateral damage but let's not pretend these are surgical assassinations where no innocents get caught in the crossfire. That said, I think the narrative of this first movie at least is that Mafty are certainly more sympathetic than the Federation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hathaway is the hidden Imam.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, there were definitely some civilian casualties from the attack on the hotels and subsequent mobile suit battle. You could argue that this is acceptable collateral damage but let's not pretend these are surgical assassinations where no innocents get caught in the crossfire. That said, I think the narrative of this first movie at least is that Mafty are certainly more sympathetic than the Federation.

I feel like doing assassination with giant robot beam weaponry is perhaps less ideal than normal methods of assassination and mafty might want to refocus a little bit here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, you don't need to worry about most security measures if you simply use a beam rifle to vaporize the target, everyone around the target, the building the target is in and then a bunch of buildings behind that one.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He did ask for forgiveness.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I feel like doing assassination with giant robot beam weaponry is perhaps less ideal than normal methods of assassination and mafty might want to refocus a little bit here.

feel free to share your methods for killing multiple government officials at the same time with the rest of cspam friend

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The best case you can make for Mafty is that their violence is discriminate, even if people do get caught in the crossfire - whereas the Feddies don't give a single goddamn what happens to anybody and are willing to blow up whole city blocks on the off chance they can stop one mobile suit. This is something that happens a lot in asymmetric conflicts, especially against imperialist occupying powers - and it would've been a hot topic at the time Hathaway's Flash was being written.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite thing about G Hathaway is how it pays attention to the minute details when it comes to collateral damage. Like, this was about as detailed as collateral damage got before in F91:

In Hathaway you have superheated Minovsky particles sprinkling off and melting roads & steel. It never gets explicit with how this would effect people, but it does create a palpable sense of danger for everyone who is caught in the crossfire.

i mean, og gundam takes what, maybe five minutes from introducing fraw to blowing up her mom and just an entire goddamn street's worth of civilians, and not much more than that to introduce amuro and then have him basically kill his own dad with a robot whoopsie

if anything it got significantly tamer over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

atelier morgan posted:

i mean, og gundam takes what, maybe five minutes from introducing fraw to blowing up her mom and just an entire goddamn street's worth of civilians, and not much more than that to introduce amuro and then have him basically kill his own dad with a robot whoopsie

if anything it got significantly tamer over time

Sure, but the way OG Gundam handles this is just having a big flash and a bunch of fully clothed & fully intact people lying down in a field. It was just kind of corny.