Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mikl posted:

I'm really enjoying these. Thank you for posting them :)

Awww, thanks Mikl! That's very sweet of you to say... Especially since they are basically my own Swedish-language self-appointed homework that I'm sharing with you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Huxley posted:

At least he didn't spank her. I was 90% sure that's where this was going.
That's reserved for Lois Lane

B Kliban

I think Gandhi never actually said this. I did the typical Google search and found a site attributing it's existance to 20 years after his death. It's a neat saying, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:rip: to Deathless Deer, a charming mess to the very end.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Whoever remembered this one remembered it right.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allson posted:

Charlotte's Marigold gloves are fast becoming a fashion statement. I expect to see them all over the streets of Williamsburg soon. MAVERICK!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I forgot that was the context of the maverick line, the full quote's fantastic.

RIP to Deathless Deer, a charming and goofy mess from the start. I'll miss it!

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Dec. 15th, 1940

Axa "It's a cross-country road-wreck, and the traffic is murder!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

A hearty ‘urgl*’ to deathless deer.

*Goodbye

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Green Intern posted:

A hearty ‘urgl*’ to deathless deer.

*Goodbye

Professor Hoot and Frappy remain in jail to this very day.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

'Love isn't just the good, it means dealing with the bad too. You need to accept that to make a relationship work'
'gently caress that, sounds like effort, I'm out'

Is it just me reading it that way?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ashsaber posted:

'Love isn't just the good, it means dealing with the bad too. You need to accept that to make a relationship work'
'gently caress that, sounds like effort, I'm out'

Is it just me reading it that way?

bets was right to ghost him

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Val and Aleta are loving cute and realistic in their way.

Gunther, you see them? DO YOU SEE?

gently caress it, if Gunther came out as asexual at this point that would make more sense.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I’m going to miss Deathless Deer as well - especially those sassy, sassy birds.

And He Did! (July 22, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 27, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 20, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 21, 1936)

Mopsy (March 22, 1937)

Up Front (May 3, 1944)

Dark Laughter (March 29, 1947)

“Bootsie, Baby, you could be a solid killer-diller this spring with me on your arm … if I only had that there coat!”

Those Were the Days (February 18, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 11, 1965)

Dogbert January 27, 1966

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goddamn Val and Aleta are loving cute and realistic in their way.

Gunther, you see them? DO YOU SEE?

gently caress it, if Gunther came out as asexual at this point that would make more sense.

I don’t think the Evanses have the capacity to understand that asexual and aromantic people exist.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (March 29, 1947)

“Bootsie, Baby, you could be a solid killer-diller this spring with me on your arm … if I only had that there coat!”

Bootsie may have met his match.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"We're going to have to seriously talk about whether we want this financial windfall that possibly guarantees some measure of financial stability for our child for the rest of her life. It'll probably take a week or two of strips."

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (January 21, 1936)

Oaky, are you Ok?
Are you Ok, Oaky?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Idk I'm kinda on Gunther's side here, at least in this specific strip. Bets said she doesn't want to be in a relationship. Tiff is being uncomfortably overbearing with her meddling. He doesn't need to sit there with Bets and Tiff talking past him. He decides that he's out, and he's out. That's a decision.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (March 22, 1937)

Mopsy always goes for the kill.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My work schedule is ever-changing this week, so I’m sorry for the late post! Making a big quote post with all my recent opinions is a bit daunting, so suffice it to say that this was 36 hours of quality comics that I have enjoyed very very much.

Classic Zits

Sylvia

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Dug a couple things out of the RandomWaffle thread in GBS:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Fiona is a race traitor (April 8-14, 2002)

Nope, I ain't touching this. Not even with a 10-foot pole. If y'all want to discuss this, feel free, but it's distinctly not in my lane to do so.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: It's difficult enough trying to do a translation that makes the language sound 'natively' English, but when one is also trying to write a song that conveys the same information that scans and rhymes without being a very creative person in the FIRST place is pretty hard as well. Basically, I don't want to hear any poo poo from anyone re. the opening song, or This welcoming committee isn't very welcoming!, or Thanks for the exposition, man-who-almost-certainly-isn't-going-to-die-in-the-next-three-pages

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mikl posted:

Nope, I ain't touching this. Not even with a 10-foot pole. If y'all want to discuss this, feel free, but it's distinctly not in my lane to do so.

Somehow less predatory than actual the IRS paperwork that's commonly used to gently caress with the working class and impoverished.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Fiona is a race traitor (April 8-14, 2002)

Assuming you're talking about the Fiona storyline not the tax form, uh... I don't think I should comment either except to say I think it's definitely not holborook's lane either. :staredog:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Rousseau

The comic skips a lot here. Yesterday Eerikki was looking for Paul. He didn't find him, but learned that he had been gambling and lost 300 riksdaler. Paul has a scene where he is a total rear end in a top hat atheist/young rebel.

Eerikki later confronts Paul, who says that he will pay money back, but won't tell how. The alchemy scene shown in the comic takes two chapters and has some hints of gothic horror (I think, I'm not too familiar with the genre).

Lauri Larsson junior, the new head of the Larsson family comes to Turku. He is a greedy miser and turn out Eerikki is in debt to him. Paul makes some gold selling deals with him, because he wants to get his foster parents' debt paid (he currently has only small amount gold that's enough to pay his own debts and some more).

Paul then volunteers to help his friend by participating a thesis examination. His role is to support the thesis writer against the opposing views. The whole event is actually supposed to be a ruse. The topic is existence of God and the event was arranged to ridicule atheism, which has been on rise. However, Paul goes full straw man mode and manages to make his opponents (well-respected professors) look like idiots resulting the second strip here.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 3, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
considering ed is a self-insert I can't tell if kelley is going for a roundabout slap in the face body positivity thing or a self-deprecating thing

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Zereth posted:

Assuming you're talking about the Fiona storyline not the tax form, uh... I don't think I should comment either except to say I think it's definitely not holborook's lane either. :staredog:

Yeah, I was referring to the Fiona storyline. I'm absolutely not qualified to discuss the internal workings of ethnic minority groups.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think whoever can make contact with the rightsholders should give Deathless Deer another go. I would not mind seeing her again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kennel posted:

Paul then volunteers to help his friend by participating a thesis examination. His role is to support the thesis writer against the opposing views. The whole event is actually supposed to be a ruse. The topic is existence of God and the event was arranged to ridicule atheism, which has been on rise. However, Paul goes full straw man mode and manages to make his opponents (well-respected professors) look like idiots resulting the second strip here.

Wait does the novel admit he's acting in bad faith and just trying to win or does he use Facts And Logic to defeat the professors?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominwinter

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's no way Ed's only 246 pounds.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's not like he has any muscle mass.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 19, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 19, 1999)

Garfield Classic (October 19, 1989)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

kg maybe

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

M

" Hi! My name is Tom- And my name is Jerry! Together we are: Tom & Jerry!" (In New-wegian)
" I'm going to EAT you. " (Also in new-wegian.)

I wonder if this relates to something specific (the movies, perhaps?) since T&J famously don't talk from what I remember.

TN note: New-wegian/Nynorsk is norwegian (though stereotyped as rural/old-fashioned/old romantic.), while most of the southern cities speak a different form of norwegian called 'bokmål' or booktongue/speech, which is heavily influenced by danish. (They're both artificial, constructed languages and don't really differ that much.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 3, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "106 - Jucika's Exciting Book"

"Jucika And The Burning Love"

"The sign reads 'Starting fires in the in the forest is prohibited!'"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tomaura's eye is migrating toward her ear.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kavak posted:

Wait does the novel admit he's acting in bad faith and just trying to win or does he use Facts And Logic to defeat the professors?

Here's a sample (Paul is the respondent):

from page 353

I'd say it's pretty clearly bad faith argumentation, but from what I gather Topelius isn't exactly sympathetic towards the professors and seems to satirize the academic world (he himself was a professor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I would be mad if I could read Latin.