Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miftan posted:

The British fascination with tea is actually amazing. It's fine at best. If I want flavoured water I'd flavour it with something that actually tastes good.

It’s certainly better than chocolate ruined by orange. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bubble tea is interesting but I can imagine the novelty wearing off.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Miftan posted:

The British fascination with tea is actually amazing. It's fine at best. If I want flavoured water I'd flavour it with something that actually tastes good.

don't get me wrong, i love a raspberry and lime flavoured water or a squash but tea is just a nice modifier to hot water which makes it slightly more interesting and drinking more water is only a good thing

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I usually just have water or apple juice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hot lemonade and honey is generally my preferred thing instead of tea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I want to scream when people say hot lemon and honey.

Whenever I get a cold or other 'upper respiratory complaint' my mother and half my FB won't shut up about 'hot lemon and honey'. (a) I don't keep honey in and if I'm unwell I'm hardly likely to go look for it and (b) it does bugger all for whatever is wrong. grr...

Guess it serves me right for telling FB I've got the sniffles or whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It works in the same way that those old patent medicines work. If half your hot lemon and honey isn't whiskey you're doing it wrong.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/commaficionado/status/1411256002549325826

Schools trying to make british people serfs again

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Stormgale posted:

This is terrifying, who would send their kid to a school like that?

Tbf a lot of the existing school system can loosened up around here. I called my teachers by first names and the world didn't come crashing down, suits and ties are ridiculous for children, etc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Bubble tea is interesting but I can imagine the novelty wearing off.

Bubble tea is spectacular, as you'd expect for something with big sugary lumps in. I'm a big fan of taro root, which is kind of parsnip-like, and goes weirdly well with sweet milky tea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's not new, there was some lunatic academy down south that was marching the kids around in perfect silence all the time, real serial killer poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I bet all the boomers love it, but I looked out of the window at school and, as they like to say, "never did me any 'arm"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bubble tea is spectacular, as you'd expect for something with big sugary lumps in. I'm a big fan of taro root, which is kind of parsnip-like, and goes weirdly well with sweet milky tea.

I used to get Taro in Egypt. It made a good bread substitute - almost the same consistency! And it could be sliced and toasted too.
(Somewhat like yams but not exactly).
Would love to get it here (and custard apples) but nearest 'ethnic' supermarket is 20 miles away and would involve 2 hours on a bus, 1.5 hours walking and 2 hours just hanging around between buses. Custard apple on line is £3.49 for just 1.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stormgale posted:

lol Melton.

'Prepare them for later life' though? What later life involves that poo poo?

Miftan posted:

suits and ties are ridiculous for children, etc.
Britain and Ireland are the weird part of Europe on that one.

Suits and ties are ridiculous for adults too.

Like there's no call for the leftmost two unless you're playing James Bond or are being hired to impersonate Prince Andrew for legal purposes. Next two might be appropriate if you're getting married, buried, or tried by jury. Last two are fine for almost any learning or white collar environment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

Most Americans seem to just have a jar of coffee in their general food cupboard and maybe a mug or two at the back of the crockery cupboard.

If anyone in this thread says they haven't got an entire cupboard dedicated to tea, coffee and mugs, they're either lying or they've failed the residency test and Priti is sending the boys round as we speak.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd try bubble tea but I don't get what I'm meant to do with it. Do the bubbles dissolve? Are you meant to eat them? What's the deal?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Guavanaut posted:

lol Melton.

'Prepare them for later life' though? What later life involves that poo poo?

Absolutely love going to work and having to respond to the whistle commands from my boss, and being sacked when I don't smile enough

Miftan posted:

This is terrifying, who would send their kid to a school like that?

Tbf a lot of the existing school system can loosened up around here. I called my teachers by first names and the world didn't come crashing down, suits and ties are ridiculous for children, etc.

I'm kind of okay with the idea of uniforms for kids, solely on the basis as it gives them less of a reason to pick on the poorer kids who can't afford the latest trainers or whatever. As long as those uniforms are cheap(/free) and aren't restricted by gender.

I still kind of feel weird about speaking to people in authority (e.g. top people at work) by their first name though, that particular social anxiety will never leave me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're tapioca and you suck them up the big straw. It's fun (unless the idea of eating tapioca through a straw horrifies you).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Not pictured: me in my office in t-shirt and jeans and sandals, sometimes slippers if I'm feeling especially casual

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Five steps further right:

OwlFancier posted:

I would happily go back to big hessian sacks. Clothes are a tyranny upon the soul and also other parts of the body.

EvilHawk posted:

I'm kind of okay with the idea of uniforms for kids, solely on the basis as it gives them less of a reason to pick on the poorer kids who can't afford the latest trainers or whatever. As long as those uniforms are cheap(/free) and aren't restricted by gender.
They don't even make the uniforms VAT free once you're out of child sizes, so it's worse than work uniforms. There are help to buy/second hand programs sometimes though.

I've heard concerns about trainers (always trainers) going back to the 80s, but I've gone to schools with and without uniforms and never really seen it. Kids are more than capable of forming cliques around what estate you live on or what football team you support, and any school with a big enough rich dickhead contingent is going to show it off through watches and jewellery like gold crucifixes that the faculty won't want to catch a hot potato over. Or dress shoes, because they can get as or more ridiculous than trainers.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What even is the difference between 'black tie optional' and 'business'?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

What even is the difference between 'black tie optional' and 'business'?

You walk around staring at your watch and keep your forearm raised at all times, I guess it's an expensive watch.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The tie is plain. (Also dress watch/shoes, cufflinks, suit will be black, but that's hard to show in a line drawing.)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Absolutely love going to work and having to respond to the whistle commands from my boss, and being sacked when I don't smile enough

I had this excuse at my school where our uniform was just a t shirt with the school logo on, but our school it was ONLY the top half. Kids are gonna get picked on for their phones or shoes or haircut or the car their parents pick them up in, so I don't buy that at all unless the uniform is, as you said, all free and gender neutral and applies to EVERYTHING, which it never is and never does. School uniforms that cost money is an extra expense which is somehow worse than the stated purpose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

They don't even make the uniforms VAT free once you're out of child sizes, so it's worse than work uniforms. There are help to buy/second hand programs sometimes though.

Which when you are 5ft 7", have a 40" bust, and take adult size 9 (43 in Eurosizes) shoes at age 12 is ridiculous.
And I was by no means the tallest and bustiest in my year group at school
They really need to get with the changes in human beings since the 1920s.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Same, I've just never understood why it needs to be ties and blazers instead of plain t-shirts and unbranded (eg asda etc) jeans or joggers - clothes that are affordable, ubiquitous and comfortable to sit in all day.

Other than classism obviously.

"Preparing kids for adult life" is something that's never resonated with me but maybe that's because I'm in my 30s, have never owned a suit and would have an aneurism if I had to call my colleagues/superiors "sir/ma'am". Ah the life of a software developer / media "professional"...

edit: vvvvvvvv yes! Not only do I always have access to a calculator, I always have access to every piece of recorded information that's ever existed. gently caress your closed book exams!

blunt fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume if that is the excuse it is much like "oh you'll never have a calculator with you all the time so you have to learn to do it in your head"

i.e, wrong, and has been for decades.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd try bubble tea but I don't get what I'm meant to do with it. Do the bubbles dissolve? Are you meant to eat them? What's the deal?

They're sweet and chewy OP. I don't like regular old British tea at all but I'm a big fan of the classic Taiwanese brown sugar bubble tea. Probably because it just takes like delicious cold liquid caramel and barely of tea

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

blunt posted:

Same, I've just never understood why it needs to be ties and blazers instead of plain t-shirts and unbranded (eg asda etc) jeans or joggers - clothes that are affordable, ubiquitous and comfortable to sit in all day.

Other than classism obviously.

"Preparing kids for adult life" is something that's never resonated with me but maybe that's because I'm in my 30s, have never owned a suit and would have an aneurism if I had to call my colleagues/superiors "sir/ma'am". Ah the life of a software developer / media "professional"...

A local secondary school round here for years had a simple uniform of 'aertex' t-shirt, black or dark grey trousers or skirts (girls could wear either, but I don't think boys were allowed to wear skirts). A couple of years ago it was changed to 'formal business wear' style uniforms (and it hadn't gone to 'academy'). I don't know why.
So now there are all these office-drone-clones wandering the streets every evening.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

blunt posted:

edit: vvvvvvvv yes! Not only do I always have access to a calculator, I always have access to every piece of recorded information that's ever existed. gently caress your closed book exams!

Yeah if we're going down the 'prepare kids for life' teaching them how to look up information and open book exams for every subject is definitely the way to go. Also retaking exams as many times as they need.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

I had this excuse at my school where our uniform was just a t shirt with the school logo on, but our school it was ONLY the top half. Kids are gonna get picked on for their phones or shoes or haircut or the car their parents pick them up in, so I don't buy that at all unless the uniform is, as you said, all free and gender neutral and applies to EVERYTHING, which it never is and never does. School uniforms that cost money is an extra expense which is somehow worse than the stated purpose.

Also it sounds a bit Centrist Rally: Better Things Aren't Possible to me

(very Sensibile voice): Well, given as we know, huge income and class divisions are inevitable in any proper society, we should make everyone shell out equal amounts of money to paper over these differences to maintain the illusion of (ahem) I mean, promote meritocracy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
School uniforms = money.
There were only two places that sold the uniforms my school used, and you couldn't get the right colour shade if you wanted it cheaper elsewhere.
The fuckers would even tell you to get new jumpers if the dye on it got faded after a lot of use.

I can see the point of uniforms in Northern Ireland at least, would have been a lot more little shits running around in celtic/ranger tops.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Yeah if we're going down the 'prepare kids for life' teaching them how to look up information and open book exams for every subject is definitely the way to go. Also retaking exams as many times as they need.
Teaching kids how to look up and verify information, especially. And make informed choices based on that.

I think history was the best school lesson for drumming in the "every source has an agenda, and even if they're not outright lying they're selectively including or excluding things" but there's a temptation to compartmentalize that as "which was true during the Second World War but this meme sounds right" if it's not brought into modern media awareness.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

happyhippy posted:

I can see the point of uniforms in Northern Ireland at least, would have been a lot more little shits running around in celtic/ranger tops.

Seems easy enough to say 'no sports teams' in situations like that as opposed to 'you all have to look like mini Jacob Rees-Moggs'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you teach children media criticism techniques they might apply it to the government and we can't have that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*careening in from previous pages*

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, Andrew Bonar Law.

Oi! Andrew Boner Lore was Canadian. That may be North American but do not sully our moosebrothers by implying they're USAmericans.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Am I being dense? What's the difference between black tie optional and business?

woah where did all these posts come from

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 3, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

At my school in the west of Scotland, "no football colours" was in effect for PE and it was never a problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

*careening in from previous pages*

Oi! Andrew Boner Lore was Canadian. That may be North American but do not sully our moosebrothers by implying they're USAmericans.
At the time he was born, New Brunswick wasn't part of Canada, it was British North America. He was a British North American (but not Usian, yes).

mrpwase posted:

Am I being dense? What's the difference between black tie optional and business?
Business has a patterned tie and the suit is less of a Jeeves & Wooster cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Our rule for PE was plain white top and dark shorts. They could have a brand logo /stripes (a la Adidas) but nothing else.