Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yep, I have the M18 Hackzall and it’s a drat fine tool. I was just using it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The M12 is on sale with a battery and charger but I think I need the extra power of an M18 to make sure I can get the exhaust pipe off. Thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

The M12 is on sale with a battery and charger but I think I need the extra power of an M18 to make sure I can get the exhaust pipe off. Thanks.

The M12 should be plenty capable of shearing off the rusty exhaust bolts you'll be replacing regardless of what attempt you make to remove them nicely.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

The M12 should be plenty capable of shearing off the rusty exhaust bolts you'll be replacing regardless of what attempt you make to remove them nicely.

It also works awesome for cutting PVC pipes under a sink.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

It also works awesome for cutting PVC pipes under a sink.

It kicks some serious rear end trimming branches with a wood blade too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BigPaddy posted:

Sharp blade = better than moar powa!! in like 99% of cases.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I got the M12 hackzall. It's useful for small things. With the right blade it should blow through exhaust pipe.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Picked one up last night for $100 with a battery and charger. I have plenty of new blades so should be good. Home Depot seems to have a bunch of deals on Milwaukee tools for July 4th.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I would like to discuss clothing for car work and fab. My wonderful wife bought me a lincoln electric welding jacket a year or so ago and its done me well, lots of grinding, welding and also rolling around on floors where there are always sharp metal shavings. It's starting to get pretty worn through, torn and some speed holes burned through it from overhead grinding (very hot ~1cm pieces of metal landing on it melting through). It's also summer so it gets smelly real quick so a few more in the rotation is probably a good idea.

Couple of issues with it though: 1) no breast pockets! I'd love to be able to clip in a 6" ruler and a sharpie and keep them on me at all times like a dork. 2) its not stretchy at all, this might be a limitation of flame resistant clothing in general? Or is it? 3) It doesn't make me look like Guy Fieri enough

Anyway just wondering if you all know of good whatever mechanic/welding jackets that basically have pockets and aren't made entirely out of leather.

Also interested in pants suggestions! I use whatever cheap costco or carhartt pants because they are thick and fairly cheap, but are there better options for them too? Maybe with built in knee padding?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

tuna posted:

I would like to discuss clothing for car work and fab. My wonderful wife bought me a lincoln electric welding jacket a year or so ago and its done me well, lots of grinding, welding and also rolling around on floors where there are always sharp metal shavings. It's starting to get pretty worn through, torn and some speed holes burned through it from overhead grinding (very hot ~1cm pieces of metal landing on it melting through). It's also summer so it gets smelly real quick so a few more in the rotation is probably a good idea.

Couple of issues with it though: 1) no breast pockets! I'd love to be able to clip in a 6" ruler and a sharpie and keep them on me at all times like a dork. 2) its not stretchy at all, this might be a limitation of flame resistant clothing in general? Or is it? 3) It doesn't make me look like Guy Fieri enough

Anyway just wondering if you all know of good whatever mechanic/welding jackets that basically have pockets and aren't made entirely out of leather.

Also interested in pants suggestions! I use whatever cheap costco or carhartt pants because they are thick and fairly cheap, but are there better options for them too? Maybe with built in knee padding?

Not clothes, but for kneeling these are fantastic. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UESK5K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tuna posted:

I would like to discuss clothing for car work and fab.

Check around you for a workwear store. Usually in the industrial part of town and/or a strip mall. Proudly advertising Dickies and Carhartt, they'll have a good selection that you can see and feel. At least for the initial trip you'll have an easier time finding what you're after, since you can see the thickness of the fabric and details like reinforcing etc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah you don't want costco. You want an industrial supply place that sells stuff like Pioneer (they are fairly popular in Canada).

"Proper" welding gear the default is leather, but you might find something you are happy with and not care if it burns.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

For welding I wear army surplus aramid coveralls that I get on ebay. Cheap, come in all sizes, lots of pockets. Something like this.

I’m also a Dickies stan but they are mostly polyester so not great for welding. I had some cotton Carhartts that held up okay to mechanicing. For shirts my go to is cotton dress shirts from Goodwill.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Any suggestions for 12v trickle chargers for car batteries etc? It seems like there's a million ONEBUY YOULIKE brands for ~$25, or an $80 Deltran Battery Tender+ that has lots of recent "THESE AREN'T MADE LIKE THEY USED TO BE!! style of reviews. I'm okay with either option, just skittish of cheap electronic anything when it comes to this sort of application.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
A few years ago I realized all my battery chargers that actually work are made by Schumacher so I've been recommending them since then.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Any suggestions for 12v trickle chargers for car batteries etc? It seems like there's a million ONEBUY YOULIKE brands for ~$25, or an $80 Deltran Battery Tender+ that has lots of recent "THESE AREN'T MADE LIKE THEY USED TO BE!! style of reviews. I'm okay with either option, just skittish of cheap electronic anything when it comes to this sort of application.
I've been really happy with this Optima. There's a couple brands that get recommended every time - Schumacher as Cat Hatter said, and I think CTEC?

Edit: Oh, crikey. Optima also does trickle charging, but it's not just a trickle charger. Might not be what you're looking for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
CTEK forever. This thread pointed me to the MXS 5.0 and I like it a lot. The little stoplight “Comfort Indicator” dongles are nice to see battery status at a glance too.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Seconding Schumacher. I've got a couple tenders and a bigger 15a charger/maintainer that have treated me well for years.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I got my NOCO Genius trickle charger on sale and it's been great. I was skeptical about the desulfating mode but it brought my dying 8 year old battery back to life. It's overdue for replacement but it no longer goes flat after a couple of days.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Fantastic, thanks all. Definitely seeing some good options here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just be careful with stuff like that that gets left unattended... A few of my friends from the jeep world and Tremek on here all had garage or house fires due to trickle chargers and power strips and stuff left powered on in garages.

KPTHEMP on NAXJA had his entire house and attached garage burn to the ground from it. They got out with... I think one partially melted YJ and the clothes on their backs.

I use solar trickle chargers on everything, ever since my friends places started burning down I won't leave a wall powered charger plugged in unless I'm in the building, and even that is questionable if I'm not in the room.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, that's a really good point. I use solar on my two cars which (even pre-pandemic) spend most of their time parked. Mostly because I don't have a way to park them near a power plug, but that's another serious upside. On that note, I built my own from (a panel + a controller + adapters), but recommended this one to a friend who didn't want to do all that:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08L77PFCY/

... and he's been very happy with it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Just be careful with stuff like that that gets left unattended... A few of my friends from the jeep world and Tremek on here all had garage or house fires due to trickle chargers and power strips and stuff left powered on in garages.

KPTHEMP on NAXJA had his entire house and attached garage burn to the ground from it. They got out with... I think one partially melted YJ and the clothes on their backs.

I use solar trickle chargers on everything, ever since my friends places started burning down I won't leave a wall powered charger plugged in unless I'm in the building, and even that is questionable if I'm not in the room.

Hence why I'm skittish - you can add me to the list; in 2019 either the old minifridge or the strip it was connected to went up in my dad's detached garage. Burt to the ground in fifteen minutes, including my BMW parked outside , my Aprilia inside, his 50+years of tools and house maintenance poo poo, my entire auto toolchest, etc. He was lucky the FD arrived in time to keep the (board and batten) house eight feet away.

I'll either be plugging it in when I'm watching, or removing the battery from whatever vehicle and charging it on a patch of flat dirt.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even with the solar chargers make sure it's got a fuse at the disconnect if you go straight to the battery; a lesson I almost learned the hard way when my solar charger's cable shorted somehow and burned up:

As far as I can tell the wire must have cracked in the cold weather.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, when the trickle charger is on the car, I have it set on a timer to run for maybe an hour a day once a week, when I know we'll be home. The bigger charger generally gets used when I'm already out there working on something, and need it to charge faster.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Should this thread make me nervous about the ryobi 6 port charger with 16.8Ah of battery left semi-permanently plugged into it?

Eh, maybe.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've got a Makita 5ah battery chilling on the charger right now, only because I used it in the string trimmer a few days ago. Generally they just stay attached to whatever tool I used last, and I try to remember to charge them an hour or two before I need them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Most chargers will only charge if the voltage drops low enough, although it may not be a bad idea to contain lipos in a metal box or lipo bag. I've been considering moving things to a charging shelf or cabinet that's metal in the vein of a flammable materials cabinet. Generally tool batteries are pretty safe but I think Tremek's (?) garage fire was suspected to have been started by one. I had one issue with a charger that was from the 90s but luckily the batteries were nicad (2.4V milwaukee) so it just started to cook them and I smelled it. It turned out that we had had a power outage and after the power came back it decided to charge the battery again for some reason. I don't know if those chargers were less smart about voltage levels back in the day but with the AC power being inconsistent I can't put the blame anything in particular.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

A friend in Seattle owes me a small favor so I’m going to have her grab me a couple items at Hazard Fraught Tools and drop them at the barge dock. There’s a minimum shipping charge of over $100 so I want to make this count.

I know I want the Daytona Super Duty jack:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-yellow-63183.html

And a transmission jack:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/transmission-jacks/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

What else should I have her grab that’s best purchased from Harbor Freight? I already have an engine hoist and 20 ton shop press.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

A friend in Seattle owes me a small favor so I’m going to have her grab me a couple items at Hazard Fraught Tools and drop them at the barge dock. There’s a minimum shipping charge of over $100 so I want to make this count.

I know I want the Daytona Super Duty jack:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-yellow-63183.html

And a transmission jack:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/transmission-jacks/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

What else should I have her grab that’s best purchased from Harbor Freight? I already have an engine hoist and 20 ton shop press.

Do you need any small stuff like sockets, deep sockets, wrenches, torque wrenches? LED shop lights? Auto specialty tools like steering wheel puller, slide hammer?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Plastic trim tools, cheap-ish tool cart or cabinet, magnetic parts trays.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I already have most of those. My slide hammer could use more accessories but Amazon has a better selection of that.

Basically looking for stuff that’s hard to order online.

Edit: Ooh, tool carts. Suggestions? US General is the go-to, right?

Also, plastic trim tools - I have never head of such a thing and it sounds vitally important. Link?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have that trans jack and it is pretty good. Useful for drop out center sections as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Advent Horizon posted:

Edit: Ooh, tool carts. Suggestions? US General is the go-to, right?

Also, plastic trim tools - I have never head of such a thing and it sounds vitally important. Link?

Yeah, I'd say US General is the default. I have their 4 drawer that I use as a toolbox, kinda wish I got the 5 drawer for more space. Full disclosure: the first one I got had a bunch of surface rust out of the box and the middle drawer of my current one is sagging a bit under the weight of being full to the brim of sockets.
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/u-s-general-tool-storage/30-in-4-drawer-tech-cart-black-64818.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-drawer-mechanics-cart-black-64030.html

I don't have any experience with their service carts, but are much cheaper if you just want a flat surface to place your tools down on.
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/u-s-general-tool-storage/30-in-service-cart-with-drawer-black-56604.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-36-in-two-shelf-steel-service-cart-62587.html

Plastic trim tools are used to pry at interior panels without marring them. I find them useful for all sorts of things, not just in the car (I used one to unglue a battery from a game controller I was fixing). They're kinda consumables as they are designed to be soft and can get torn up.
https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-pc-64126.html

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 8, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've got that as transmission jack as well, it worked really well for dropping a gas tank. Make sure you've got a short to medium 1/2" ratchet to dedicate to it.

US General carts are good, I've got this one and have been happy other than some nitpicks (the bolt/nut hardware sucks, I got replacements from McMaster that worked really well; one of the brackets for the lid support was bent/tweaked, a couple of dings probably acquired during shipment). I'd buy it again, but do buy it on sale.

Edit, just in case:

Krakkles posted:

It happens, but it helped to vent :)

They're basically just M8 bolts, so:

Button Head Hex Drive Screw
Black-Oxide Alloy Steel, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 22 mm Long
91239A429
2 packs of 25 8.66

General Purpose Zinc-Plated Steel Washer
for M8 Screw Size, 8.400 mm ID, 15 mm OD
98688A117
1 pack of 100 6.86

JIS High-Strength Steel Flange Nut
Class 10, Black-Phosphate, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread
95108A102
1 pack of 100 9.67

I'd maybe add one more pack of the first one (3x25, total of 75) if you haven't started - there's a total of 56 bolts in the HF kit, but I got most of the bolts for the wheels (~15) in.

Make sure that the carriage bolts are fully seated into the metal if you do use them - I think I only had an issue because the lip of the bolt which holds it in place doesn't fully seat unless you really take care to jam it through the paint.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 8, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo the hf trim tools are cheapo and not worth buying

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

It looks like I can get trim tools online fairly easily. Glancing at the carts, what I really need to do is swap out my existing tool chest for the 72” - but that ain’t happening for a while.

I think I need a cart with pneumatic wheels since I’d like to use it for shuttling stuff to the fire pit for BBQs as well. So I’ll hold off on that for now.

Sorry for the wild goose chase on tools, it’s been a couple years since I was in a Harbor Freight. Thanks, covid.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

imo the hf trim tools are cheapo and not worth buying
Yeah, you’re not wrong. I’ve got them, and I’ve been using them, and they’re … fine?

But it’s definitely on my list of things to replace.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The yellow nylon HF trim tools are decent. The thin blue ones are garbage.

I found a bone tool like this in a car at Pick-n-pull many years ago and it’s a prized tool for trim work. I’m not sure if mine is actual bone but that shape is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I gave my harbor freight jacks back with the recall, but now that I am older, wiser, and have more income, I want to get a set of proper jack stands that will last me for a long time and also won’t murder me.

4500lb minivan
4500lb sedan
3000lb Ranger

What is a suitable, preferably double-locking jack stand worth a poo poo? I already have pucks/pinch weld protectors.