Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ended up watching Rodan. I can see how it set the template for later movies. It definitely bridged Gojira and Mothra to the rest of the series but the movie itself was kinda not great. The Rodan props are too limited in what they could really do so you end up with lots of very static movement with whooshing noises. They also don't have much personality on their own compared to Godzilla or Mothra. The freedom of CGI in KOTM was a boon to Rodan since he had the same basic abilities but significantly more expressive as a 'living' character.

Probably related to that was how about a 1/3 of the movie was all around the bugs in the mine that didn't matter too much. Some of the shots of the military just shooting things went on too long. 5-10 minutes of the movie only watching little explosions go off.

Final feeling is that I appreciated it and everyone who would post in here should see it but its transitional and lesser.

e: Got my dates wrong and Mothra came later. That would explain how they made a similarish flying kaiju a stronger character.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm sure other people are watching Singular Point. It's great!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I liked it overall but felt that Godzilla itself was an afterthought.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Yeah, I'm only part of the way through and that's how it's shaping up. But does the big guy always have to be the star of the show? There's only so much "He saved the day! Again!" that can be written. What I like most about SP is that they've scaled the monsters down to the point the human protagonists can visibly and meaningfully interact with them. In the movies, they always have to invent a superweapon, nuke something, or build giant mechas.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I liked that everyone acted intelligently, even the dude that was the muscle was smart in his own right and could contribute, and what man vs. man conflict there was felt more a conflict of how than why.

Maybe it was the esoteric technobabble but I did get NGE vibes watching it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was actually shocked that the one guy who's design features scream "this guy is insane and will betray everyone in a murder spree" actually didn't and was a nice dad.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Singular Point was good for what it was. I'm not sure it really stuck the landing with its overarching sci-fi concepts, but it had smart and interesting characters and the monster/mecha action was really good (although the CG animation was a bit dodgy at times).

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was actually shocked that the one guy who's design features scream "this guy is insane and will betray everyone in a murder spree" actually didn't and was a nice dad.

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise :unsmith:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If Singular Point gets continued(that little post credits scene in Episode 13 seems to make it clear they want to) I think it will definitely benefit from having done most of the science stuff in this first season(overall I feel like I had a decent enough understanding of most of it since a lot of it I've encountered in other Sci-Fi works before, but it still felt kinda muddy about how some of it worked)

Also kinda weird how the Megalons just sort of vanish after they get away on the boat even though at least some of them were definitely still alive

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I thought it was great, can't wait to rewatch it!

If you can't get into it, at least watch the credits in the last ep, lotta concentrated love for the franchise in a very short amount of time

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
6 episodes in and it’s still very charming. I’m even enjoying the technobabble and physics talk, there’s a playfulness to it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I don’t watch much cartoon, but Singular Point fuckin’ rules.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Godzilla SP ep10 I noticed that they were using the Godzilla theme pretty liberally, but only the opening horns bit. So I was wondering if they were saving the full theme for an important scene later. Well done, Godzilla SP, that was a good scene.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

after the creative wasteland of the Millennium Series (no better summed up than the GMK director being forced to remove Varan/Anguirus over "marketability") I welcome takes like Shin Godzilla and Singular Point

the dialogue speed reminded me of Zodiac where the actors talked fast to reduce runtime, so that took some time to adjust to

kinda wish the Gabara kaiju was called, well .... Gabara. not sure what the big deal would be, a lot of liberty was taken with all the kaiju designs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

a lot of liberty was taken with all the kaiju designs

A lot of them were remixes/mashups of classic kaiju designs

Burkion posted:

Fusion kaiju

Well alright then

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Godzilla's initial form is mostly Titanosaurus, so much so that I got confused when the show played the Godzilla trumpets on his first appearance.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Splint Chesthair posted:

Godzilla's initial form is mostly Titanosaurus, so much so that I got confused when the show played the Godzilla trumpets on his first appearance.

There's some of that monster from the second Rebirth of Mothra film too in that form as well, especially in the overall shape

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Loved SP, but was slightly disappointed when the mass of moths/butterflies didn't result in Mothra appearing. I mean, you already have a sixties-era ditty summoning kaiju, so you'd think she'd be contractually obligated to come out, right?

Although, in truth, I might prefer the subtle hinting over just cramming every kaiju imaginable in there. And they finally had my boy Anguirus in there!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Loved SP, but was slightly disappointed when the mass of moths/butterflies didn't result in Mothra appearing. I mean, you already have a sixties-era ditty summoning kaiju, so you'd think she'd be contractually obligated to come out, right?

Although, in truth, I might prefer the subtle hinting over just cramming every kaiju imaginable in there. And they finally had my boy Anguirus in there!

Gotta save something for a sequel after all

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1411037115320778760

Godzilla films, but the Kaiju are all dapper would be great

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

after the creative wasteland of the Millennium Series (no better summed up than the GMK director being forced to remove Varan/Anguirus over "marketability") I welcome takes like Shin Godzilla and Singular Point

I rewatched GMK the other day and though I think it works pretty well, it's crazy how much better it would be with the original three monsters planned for. The whole point is Godzilla is an unstoppable nightmare and that the Guardian Monsters are underdogs that don't have a strong chance, an idea that becomes undermined when you swap two of them out and replace them with Mothra and Ghidorah, characters known for being super powerful. They do make an effort to underpower both, but the dynamic between three smaller, scrappier monsters with no beam weapons against Godzilla would have been much better imo.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The spider-thingys also showed Hedorah briefly when the one reformed after being chopped in half by JJ.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I figured the the creeping moss was going to be Biolante too but nothing ever came of it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2 episodes into Singular Point and this kicks rear end

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

https://twitter.com/ran925/status/1411512635871227905?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Still 5 episodes in but just wanted to drop by and say that I’m going to be real mad if there isn’t a sticker / emoji set of all the stickers they use in the chat messaging sections by the time I finish this and actually go look for one

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m honestly surprised they haven’t made stamps for LINE messenger of those to be honest

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Despite all the crazy circumstances everybody was acting in a surprisingly familiar and reasonable manner for the most part. Quite refreshing. That was drat good stuff and I was pretty hooked as far as wanting to see what happened next and the technobabble was certainly consistent enough.

The moth couldn't agree on rules now, maybe later.

Maybe I was slow on the uptake but I was wondering how this dude in the 60s built the magic computers and the revelation was very satisfying to realize, then the ending turned it up all the way

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's in 2030, so 50 years ago was the 80s.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That Godzilla vs Hedorah oneshot comic that just came out isn't very good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

That Godzilla vs Hedorah oneshot comic that just came out isn't very good.

Unfortunately most Godzilla comics are bad. It’s the price we pay to get stuff like Half Century War and Godzilla in Hell every now and then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unfortunately most Godzilla comics are bad. It’s the price we pay to get stuff like Half Century War and Godzilla in Hell every now and then.

It's like, aside from James Stokoe, no one at IDW has a single original idea about any of the kaiju.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

It's like, aside from James Stokoe, no one at IDW has a single original idea about any of the kaiju.

Yeah pretty much. Rulers of Earth was “good” but it very much didn’t try to change anything.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Still remember just how vividly offputting pretty much everything about Kingdom of Monsters was back when it first came out. Hard to believe that's been ten years now...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

Still remember just how vividly offputting pretty much everything about Kingdom of Monsters was back when it first came out. Hard to believe that's been ten years now...

Pretty much. I didn’t hate Cataclysm or Rage Against Time but they were nowhere near good.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty much. I didn’t hate Cataclysm or Rage Against Time but they were nowhere near good.

Rage Against Time was decent enough, but the art was really hit or miss. Legends was better as far as anthology series go. Cataclysm I never really bothered with. Half Century War is still the gold standard, but I have a nostalgic soft-spot for the old Dark Horse stuff; when I was growing up those were pretty much the only Godzilla comics out there (the Marvel stuff was, uh, not great and it never really clicked with me).

EDIT: Gangsters and Goliaths was also maybe (?) good but tbh I can't remember a thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's been at least one Godzilla manga but idk if it's good or ever been translated. The art looks nice at least.