Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

After his interview for Reed Richards years back, I'm sure he'd love to take revenge against the Fantastic Four as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lobok posted:

I mean I could not imagine a better Doom.

I'm NOT complaining.

Do it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

He's a lot of fun but he gets typecast as dour a lot. Kaecillius gets a few decent deadpan jokes but it's mostly just him being scary stern man. I would love to get to see him ham it up a little as Doom.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Ror posted:

Kaecillius gets a few decent deadpan jokes

The "Mister Doctor" exchange redeems any other bad scene he's in, hands down

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I really wanted to see him as Doom, but I do think he's already considered out of the running because of his other role. I know there are exceptions, but it still seems unlikely.

Regardless of who ends up playing Doom, I really hope they never take the mask off.

Kaecillius fell into the trap of being a fairly generic villain, but as long as the character is still alive, I wouldn't object to bringing any villain back and give them a chance to be fleshed out more.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's too old for Doom. Unless we're jumping right to established F4 with kids and poo poo, but I doubt they want to start a franchise with a 45 year old lead or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's too old for Doom. Unless we're jumping right to established F4 with kids and poo poo, but I doubt they want to start a franchise with a 45 year old lead or whatever.

RDJ was 43 when he did Iron Man.

Edit: Paul Rudd was 45 when he made Ant Man.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 2, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paul Rudd is immortal, tho.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True. Eventually they're going to have tonuse the de-aging tech to make him look older.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

And RDJ was perfect casting where it also fit for the character and they probably didn't really expect it to lead to what it's lead to. Ant Man is also a side character who's got a pretty hard expiration date and they're already getting him out of the role but aging up his daughter. F4 seems like it could be a tent pole you want to plan on lasting 10 years with the same cast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah yes, Reed Richards, the guy who I look at the greying temples of and think "yes, this man must be played by a 23 year old".

If anything, Reed should be played by a slightly older actor, Sue too. Have Johnny contrast by still being like 26-27 while Sue's 35 and her BF's pushing 40.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Ah yes, Reed Richards, the guy who I look at the greying temples of and think "yes, this man must be played by a 23 year old".

If anything, Reed should be played by a slightly older actor, Sue too. Have Johnny contrast by still being like 26-27 while Sue's 35 and her BF's pushing 40.

Reed, if it's origin Reed, should be about 20 years younger than you think of current comic book Reed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Reed, if it's origin Reed, should be about 20 years younger than you think of current comic book Reed.

If you're wanting him to literally do the space mission while he's an undergrad, sure. I've always figured the stuff with him and Doom at college was as undergrads, he's then gotta finish grad school, start working whereever gives him funding to do the space mission, so he's at least in his 30s.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

If you're wanting him to literally do the space mission while he's an undergrad, sure. I've always figured the stuff with him and Doom at college was as undergrads, he's then gotta finish grad school, start working whereever gives him funding to do the space mission, so he's at least in his 30s.

I think of current Reed as about 50, more likely younger than older. So movie Reed should be like 28 in my head.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think of current Reed as about 50, more likely younger than older. So movie Reed should be like 28 in my head.

Marvel time has it be like 12 years since the FF mission. Even if you fudge it to account for the kids being a bit older now, if he's 50, that means he was like 35 when they went to space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Child prodigy Reed solves any age problems.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Original Reed and Ben were WWII vets in 1962, so they were at least 35 when they went into space.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Original Reed and Ben were WWII vets in 1962, so they were at least 35 when they went into space.

I thought it was the Korean War? So they served at some point between 1950 and 1983 :v:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I don't think Stan and Jack were thinking about this very hard, but these guys had to be pushing 40.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bring back Miles Teller as Reed but make him The Maker.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bring back Miles Teller as Reed but make him The Maker.

Nah. Go loving meta and cast Josh Trank himself

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

Child prodigy Reed solves any age problems.

Turn the de-aging tech on Neil Patrick Harris?

I don't see why they can't have Mads do Doom, especially if he never takes off the mask. If Harry Morgan can have two roles in MASH...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hell Gemma Chan already has two roles in the MCU. Just say Doom is related to Kacillus. Doom is supposed to be a sorcerer. Hell tie the origins. Kacillus lost his family to something being his impetus to magic, maybe tie it to Reed being a fuckup and Doom's scar

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW the average age of the Mercury astronauts was like 35. The youngest US astronaut to date was Sally Ride who was 32 when she got to space and that was 20 years after FF #1. Astronauts aren't like fresh out of college, y'all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I would have a very negative reaction to seeing a young Reed in the movies. The lowest I'm willing to go is 35, and that's being extremely generous.

I wanted to go with Oscar Isaac but that's not an option anymore, so now I'm going with Timothy Olyphant.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW the average age of the Mercury astronauts was like 35. The youngest US astronaut to date was Sally Ride who was 32 when she got to space and that was 20 years after FF #1. Astronauts aren't like fresh out of college, y'all.

What's the average age for lunatics who build their own rocket and launch themselves and their friends into space, though?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

What's the average age for lunatics who build their own rocket and launch themselves and their friends into space, though?

Well, Richard Branson is 70 and Jeff Bezos is 57, so about ~64 on average.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, Richard Branson is 70 and Jeff Bezos is 57, so about ~64 on average.

Ok so Reed should be that old. Problem solved.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That flat earther guy who had a steam powered rocket he kept trying to launch which eventually killed him was like 70 so yeah...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reed can’t be that rich. What if we have him fund his ship with corporate sponsorships….

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Elon Musk is 50.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jamesman posted:

Elon Musk is 50.

Musk hasn’t launched himself or his friends yet though. He just posts dumb poo poo on Twitter while other people work on his insane timetables.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but it's still a good template for Reed, except Reed is a bit more competent at designing things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, but it's still a good template for Reed, except Reed is a bit more competent at designing things.

Tony is already the Elon if Elon didn't suck rear end of the MCU.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's Justin Hammer

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Tony is already the Elon if Elon didn't suck rear end of the MCU.

Yes but Tony's dead, so now we need to fill the void.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jamesman posted:

I wanted to go with Oscar Isaac but that's not an option anymore, so now I'm going with Timothy Olyphant.

Olyphant as Reed, Drew Barrymore as Sue, and do a Marvel Zombies crossover with Santa Clarita Diet :unsmigghh:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I don't think Stan and Jack were thinking about this very hard, but these guys had to be pushing 40.

That just says Ben was shooting down planes over Okinawa, doesn't say anything about it being during a war.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In an early example of continuity fill-ins, Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #3 features a young Reed Richards going along on a mission.

This was three months before FF #21 which brings Fury firmly into the Silver Age "present day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I thought it was the Korean War? So they served at some point between 1950 and 1983 :v:

Looked it up - that was originally part of Professor X's back story. He and Cain Marko were serving in that war when the latter got Juggernaut'ed.