Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
A local pen nerd is selling his Vanishing Point F at a reasonable discount from new. Do I do the thing? Are the nib sizes comparable to Pilot's steel Metro/Explorer nibs? Is there anything weird to be aware of beyond the mutant clip/section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the discount on it? I love them personally so for a chance to snap one up I'd probably bite on a third one :buddy:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to share something I am proud of in terms of writing.
Over Christmas 2018 I started a journal, it was born out of a need to have a pressure valve on all the poo poo that was going on in my life as well as a log to track alcohol consumption, the amount of arguments in the household, my general feeling (I was depressed a lot) and the day to day state of my marriage. I read somewhere that having a journal would be good for your well being, especially when used to emphasise the good things happening to you.
The first entries are really short, a bulleted list of the above points, not much more. Pretty fast I seem to find that boring and instead of bullets, the days are captured in a single paragraph. For reasons unclear to me, I skip days often and about a quarter of the book and 7 months into 2019, it stopped. 2020 is not there other than a note saying "Let's never talk about this year ever again”, so I will not.
Then on the 3rd of January 2021, I start again. It seems a substantial part of the motivation is to use the pens and ink I have on hand, the sooner a pen is empty, the sooner I am “allowed” to refill it with another colourful ink that I happen to own. As an aside, if I fill up multiple pens with a variation of colours, they should be emptied in a few months anyway else they clog up.
With that motivation it makes sense to write more and the entries are longer for it. It seems more like I am story telling my day, not so much speaking to my diary (no dear diary entries) but things that happened and how I felt about them, everything in a narrative. Often I wondered how I would tell something that a future historian could make sense out of it, should I introduce the people in my life, the places I am at, what the weather is? Or should I just introspect and let the future be damned?
Most of the time, I went with the second approach and now the book is filled. In about 6 months, I filled page after page with my inner thoughts and the more recent the entries, the longer they become. Writing down my feelings seems to have had a positive effect, reading back I was not in a good place half a year ago. The journal might not have been pivotal, it did help a lot.
And that is my take away and advice to people who struggle. Tell your future self how you feel now, it will be helpful even if you do not know why.
Onwards to the next book and yes, I already have one. A gift from my daughters, they know what I like.

(x-posted in the art discord)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Keetron posted:

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to share something I am proud of in terms of writing.
Over Christmas 2018 I started a journal, it was born out of a need to have a pressure valve on all the poo poo that was going on in my life as well as a log to track alcohol consumption, the amount of arguments in the household, my general feeling (I was depressed a lot) and the day to day state of my marriage. I read somewhere that having a journal would be good for your well being, especially when used to emphasise the good things happening to you.
The first entries are really short, a bulleted list of the above points, not much more. Pretty fast I seem to find that boring and instead of bullets, the days are captured in a single paragraph. For reasons unclear to me, I skip days often and about a quarter of the book and 7 months into 2019, it stopped. 2020 is not there other than a note saying "Let's never talk about this year ever again”, so I will not.
Then on the 3rd of January 2021, I start again. It seems a substantial part of the motivation is to use the pens and ink I have on hand, the sooner a pen is empty, the sooner I am “allowed” to refill it with another colourful ink that I happen to own. As an aside, if I fill up multiple pens with a variation of colours, they should be emptied in a few months anyway else they clog up.
With that motivation it makes sense to write more and the entries are longer for it. It seems more like I am story telling my day, not so much speaking to my diary (no dear diary entries) but things that happened and how I felt about them, everything in a narrative. Often I wondered how I would tell something that a future historian could make sense out of it, should I introduce the people in my life, the places I am at, what the weather is? Or should I just introspect and let the future be damned?
Most of the time, I went with the second approach and now the book is filled. In about 6 months, I filled page after page with my inner thoughts and the more recent the entries, the longer they become. Writing down my feelings seems to have had a positive effect, reading back I was not in a good place half a year ago. The journal might not have been pivotal, it did help a lot.
And that is my take away and advice to people who struggle. Tell your future self how you feel now, it will be helpful even if you do not know why.
Onwards to the next book and yes, I already have one. A gift from my daughters, they know what I like.

(x-posted in the art discord)

That's excellent work, Keetron.

I date my journal entries now, but the first few notebooks I filled I didn't. I even left a note towards the end of my undated entries for future historians acknowledging that they'd have to cross-reference my public social media posts and the weather to figure out when these entries were made, and wishing them luck.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what brand of ink I was playing with today?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nitrogen Royal Blue.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what brand of ink I was playing with today?

I'll do one better: nitrogen?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've had similar marks from J. Herbin's Bleu Pervenche so that's my guess

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Diamine Marine?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

The book is filled. In about 6 months, I filled page after page with my inner thoughts and the more recent the entries, the longer they become. Writing down my feelings seems to have had a positive effect, reading back I was not in a good place half a year ago. The journal might not have been pivotal, it did help a lot.

I've had only black ink (and a bottle of nice iroshizuku dark green) for the first seven or so years of using fountain pens until I got some additional samples last year, and a bottle of kwz honey.

In the past week, I recently obtained three different Noodler's inkwells (all new), and a purple montblanc inkwell. I now have about seven pens that get checked at least once weekly, and it's weirdly been good motivation to keep writing with each of them to test, and I finally put more of my hazy ideas onto paper.

I haven't filled any notebooks yet, but I certainly am getting a lot more practice with my handwriting.

I need to get better at filling ink, though. The rattler red eel ink is beautiful on paper but looks like a fresh injury on my nails

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 25, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

iospace posted:

I'll do one better: nitrogen?

Heath posted:

Nitrogen Royal Blue.

Organics Studio is correct, but it wasn't nitrogen. That's an errant blob of Walden Pond Blue.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Hot drat, the iroshizuku line of inks is so good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Keetron posted:

Great colors but so, so expensive with overseas costs.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Alder posted:

Great colors but so, so expensive with overseas costs.

I think two years ago or so they were about $10 more expensive per bottle than they are now

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Keetron posted:

been rocking ebisu https://www.gouletpens.com/products/pilot-iroshizuku-ebisu-50ml-bottled-ink lately for that ~sweet summer feeling~

e: a fun game

meat glitter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 26, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's a good match for that Lamy

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Keetron posted:

it really is.

i just finished loading up tsuki-yo + shin-kai into my knockoff safari.

on another note, i decided to go for one of these guys instead of a hardcover orange book. it comes with a kokuyo twin ring book on the right side, and i added a rhodia top spiral dotpad to the slot on the left side, so i have dual books

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got a new pen from a custom pen turner on Instagram and it came in this fantastic little briefcase:

This is how all pens should be transported :c00l:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I dropped my Lamy Al-Star ballpoint work pen on its tip and now it gets stuck while extending and retracting :argh:

I'm going to try the plastic version instead and see if it's more durable as a knockaround ballpoint

effika
Jun 19, 2005
HELP these are the colors of my childhood

BENU Talisman Mandrake

AND IT GLOWS IN THE DARK!!

Dromgoole's has the important info!

Thinking real hard about what I want my birthday gift to myself to be this year... hmmm... I am suspicious of BENU's quality, but goodness those colors...

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

effika posted:

HELP these are the colors of my childhood

BENU Talisman Mandrake

AND IT GLOWS IN THE DARK!!

Dromgoole's has the important info!

Thinking real hard about what I want my birthday gift to myself to be this year... hmmm... I am suspicious of BENU's quality, but goodness those colors...

i have a couple of benu pen and havent really had any issue with them fwiw

effika
Jun 19, 2005

meat glitter posted:

i have a couple of benu pen and havent really had any issue with them fwiw

Yeah googling around I think it was early days QA stuff I was seeing. That and blogger/FPN snobbery at something reddit liked.

And finally, a BENU without a giant step between the section and the barrel? I would like to encourage more of those.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is a pen i'd buy for 20-40 bux..

Decides not to buy.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

effika posted:

Yeah googling around I think it was early days QA stuff I was seeing. That and blogger/FPN snobbery at something reddit liked.

And finally, a BENU without a giant step between the section and the barrel? I would like to encourage more of those.

i think part of it is the garish sparkly glow in the dark (and sometimes super ugly lets be real) thing too, which yea is not for everyone but also probably also not for the type of person who is a snob about pens to begin with lol

i just got the edelweiss version (which doesnt glow in the dark i dont think boo), on account of you got me lookin at them and also the benu boxes are good for washi tape storage and can never have too much of that right

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I have an early gold-flecked pen from Benu and it's gorgeous, but some of the gold flecks actually stick out of the resin and they have oxidized to green. Sigh.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

atholbrose posted:

I have an early gold-flecked pen from Benu and it's gorgeous, but some of the gold flecks actually stick out of the resin and they have oxidized to green. Sigh.

Something tells me gold doesn't oxidizes to green? But admittedly, the pens are lovely.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My Benu Talisman - Mandrake is here!

The "turquoise" is more green than blue, which is a little disappointing, but not unexpected since it's so hard to photograph right. What is definitely even cooler in person is the pink resin-- it looks purple on-line to me, and that's because it's pink resin with blue iridescent shimmer particles!

Feels comfortable in the hand, too. It's getting a wash and I will ink it up soon. Just have to figure out which ink to use...

And yes, there will be glow-in-dark shots later!

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

effika posted:

The "turquoise" is more green than blue, which is a little disappointing, but not unexpected since it's so hard to photograph right. What is definitely even cooler in person is the pink resin-- it looks purple on-line to me, and that's because it's pink resin with blue iridescent shimmer particles!

Feels comfortable in the hand, too. It's getting a wash and I will ink it up soon. Just have to figure out which ink to use...

dude that looks sick - mine got here today too and i def regret not going with mandrake

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Keetron posted:

Something tells me gold doesn't oxidizes to green? But admittedly, the pens are lovely.

I didn't think I'd have to clarify that they are gold-colored and not actual gold.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

effika posted:

GLOW IN THE DARK YES

Writing with it is nice. The nib is a juicy F, and it has a nice little sweet spot. (I have like four other #6 F nibs if I needed to swap it or adjust it, but it's good as-is.). The purple holo glitter is not distracting as I write, but it's there to look at when I want to daydream. The section isn't too big and the step from the barrel to section is reasonable. The resin warms up nicely and feels good to hold as I write. Overall, a good purchase! (To be fair, about half of it was in credit card rewards.)

I really am hoping to see more of these reviewed to see how the rest of them look outside of marketing shots. I think I'd like Peacock Ore too, and Dragon's blood might be a good Christmasy pen. Not that I'll be buying a second or third, but they'd be nice to look at. meat glitter post pics of your Eidelweiss, it looked pretty too.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

effika posted:

GLOW IN THE DARK YES

Writing with it is nice. The nib is a juicy F, and it has a nice little sweet spot. (I have like four other #6 F nibs if I needed to swap it or adjust it, but it's good as-is.). The purple holo glitter is not distracting as I write, but it's there to look at when I want to daydream. The section isn't too big and the step from the barrel to section is reasonable. The resin warms up nicely and feels good to hold as I write. Overall, a good purchase! (To be fair, about half of it was in credit card rewards.)

I really am hoping to see more of these reviewed to see how the rest of them look outside of marketing shots. I think I'd like Peacock Ore too, and Dragon's blood might be a good Christmasy pen. Not that I'll be buying a second or third, but they'd be nice to look at. meat glitter post pics of your Eidelweiss, it looked pretty too.

you didn't even tell us what ink you put in it :horse: props to you though benu pens are really hard to take pictures of

the blue glittery bits are just a littttttttle bit translucent which is cool, can just barely make out the nib through the cap - it doesn't glow and doesn't have the shimmery aspect like the mandrake - this i think is subtle by usual benu standards lol. it's a good size (euphorias are too big imo) and it posts (briolettes and minimas do not) so i think they really hit a good place design wise with talisman. i went broad nib and loaded it up with diamine night sky for MAXIMUM SPARKLE.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

meat glitter posted:

you didn't even tell us what ink you put in it :horse: props to you though benu pens are really hard to take pictures of

the blue glittery bits are just a littttttttle bit translucent which is cool, can just barely make out the nib through the cap - it doesn't glow and doesn't have the shimmery aspect like the mandrake - this i think is subtle by usual benu standards lol. it's a good size (euphorias are too big imo) and it posts (briolettes and minimas do not) so i think they really hit a good place design wise with talisman. i went broad nib and loaded it up with diamine night sky for MAXIMUM SPARKLE.

Thanks! I spent time in the nail polish thread and had a ton of practice photographing holo and shimmer particles.

I used Robert Oster Peppermint to keep with the herbal theme.

I am glad you posted that, the translucent blue sounds nice. Diamine Night Sky is a good choice for that one.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

meat glitter posted:

also the benu boxes are good for washi tape storage and can never have too much of that right

I can quit whenever I want

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

unzealous posted:

:nice:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

unzealous posted:

Where do you buy that, I found only one store that carries tape but then again, I do not go out much these days.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

unzealous posted:

now here's a guy who gets it

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Keetron posted:

Where do you buy that, I found only one store that carries tape but then again, I do not go out much these days.

Mostly I browse Aliexpress but I had to stop since I filled out 2x boxes full of washi tape :v:

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Keetron posted:

Where do you buy that

Jetpens has a great selection of quality tape. Some of these I got from Booth but the logistics and shipping on that makes it only really workable as part of larger orders. Aside from that aliexpress, etsy and amazon all sell washi tapes. There's a LOT out there.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dumb question but what is the purpose of washi tape? I've seen tons of cute photos of peoples collections and sales photos but I'm not rally sure how they're supposed to be used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Xun posted:

Dumb question but what is the purpose of washi tape? I've seen tons of cute photos of peoples collections and sales photos but I'm not rally sure how they're supposed to be used?

they're sticky you stick them on stuff!! giftwrap, notes and letters, labels, use it to get cat hair off your clothes, journaling spreads...if you go on instagram or w/e and search bujo you'll see a lot of washi tape getting mileage

jetpens has been said but you can sometimes find cool stuff at smaller stationary stores like yoseka https://yosekastationery.com/collections/washi-tape or niconeco https://www.niconeco.com/collections/washi-tapes

and so this is not off topic these places also usually sell more common fountain pens n stuff https://yosekastationery.com/collections/fountain-pen https://www.niconeco.com/collections/fountain-pen-inks

meat glitter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 3, 2021