Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Len posted:

Ive ways wanted to try that silent hill diablo clone that shouldn't exist but does. Too bad vita memory is stupid expensive and the game is as well

I have it, it's....Fine. That's crazy to hear, as I'm pretty sure I bought the game new for like $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

y'know there's a pretty amazing meta game concept waiting right there, where it's a Silent Hill-alike where the main message and focus is "Let poo poo die and stay dead, stop the zombie march"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Len posted:

Ive ways wanted to try that silent hill diablo clone that shouldn't exist but does. Too bad vita memory is stupid expensive and the game is as well

Dammit, I was gonna say check out Vita3K but apparently it's one of the still problem games to run on it. It sucks that the Vita's had such a bad time on emulation while the PSP was solved so thoroughly.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Yardbomb posted:

What's sad too is it was like 100% Konami's fault, they lost or otherwise threw out the original gold masters of 2 and 3, then gave the devs a busted rear end pre-final build to work off of for 2 that had a ton of problems, they'd lost the entire original recordings for 3 which meant they had to "Close enough" remake that entire deal, Guy Cihi wouldn't come back to record as James over some dumb poo poo and got called out over his nonsense, a myriad of other problems that pretty much all came from Konami's side and then to really be the biggest shits, closed Hijinx Studios, the people they'd put this massive burden on, days after release.

It was also a bad look because Tomm Hulett decided that it was smart to constantly engage with fans, which isn't bad in and of itself but he put his foot in his mouth constantly.

If I remember right he first assured everyone that the HD collection was great, then admitted there were problems that would get fixed, and then sort of tried to handwave everything away by saying, "what did you expect us to do, reverse engineer the game from the retail version?!" which turned out to be a really dumb thing to say right when Bluepoint was making a name for themselves by doing exactly that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

exquisite tea posted:

Suddenly realizing that Silent Hill has now hit that Simpsons/Weezer continuum where it's sucked for way longer than it's ever been good.

I guess it depends on what you mean by good. Imo the series never stagnated, it just had varying levels of quality of execution. Homecoming had combat rolls and weird VOs but I thought the story worked really well with the themes of the series. Shattered Memories was goofy but the chase sequences can be harrowing and there's a lot of fun little things. And Downpour tried to have a really interesting thing with the theme but just dropped the ball overall.

Idk, like SH4 I prefer the games that try and fail than the same God damned PT clone that we have seen over and over and over again.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Read After Burning posted:

I'm starting up Doki Doki Literature Club when I get home from work...I am very excited.

same, im pumped

also gently caress bloober. i've only played the medium but it was garbage and it ran like garbage

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

And Downpour tried to have a really interesting thing with the theme but just dropped the ball overall.

Downpour apparently swerved around hard on the main guy's story a lot from tests and stuff, which is why it ends up being so mild.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Black August posted:

y'know there's a pretty amazing meta game concept waiting right there, where it's a Silent Hill-alike where the main message and focus is "Let poo poo die and stay dead, stop the zombie march"

:hmmyes:

But yeah, I agree some media properties should just die dignified deaths. I love the Wizardry series, it died on a high note with 8 solid mainline titles under its belt and my heart would break a bit if someone tried to kickstart a new one.

Granted, Silent Hill hasn't had dignity in over a decade at this point, but better late than never.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I never said its a bad game, Silent Hill 3 is fine, I just wouldn't call it good. Silent Hill 4 has a lot of interesting ideas, but it has some serious issues with how they were executed, so I also wouldn't label it as a good game.

Fair enough, guess I'm just not used to there being anything between "good game" and "bad game" in online discussion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

Dammit, I was gonna say check out Vita3K but apparently it's one of the still problem games to run on it. It sucks that the Vita's had such a bad time on emulation while the PSP was solved so thoroughly.

I could mod my vita and get the MicroSD card converter but that feels like a lot of work to ultimately never finish anything on it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's still wild to me just how much of Silent Hill 4 is just The Frighteners.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

:hmmyes:

But yeah, I agree some media properties should just die dignified deaths. I love the Wizardry series, it died on a high note with 8 solid mainline titles under its belt and my heart would break a bit if someone tried to kickstart a new one.
Maybe thats :thejoke: but you know Wizardry is alive and well in Japan for decades after 8 right?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Hel posted:

Maybe thats :thejoke: but you know Wizardry is alive and well in Japan for decades after 8 right?

Completely aware, that's why I specified mainstream. Maybe "in the West" or "Sirtech-style" would have been better. They're their own beast, and the gameplay style split off with the main games a good 30 years ago.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Completely aware, that's why I specified mainstream. Maybe "in the West" or "Sirtech-style" would have been better. They're their own beast, and the gameplay style split off with the main games a good 30 years ago.

It just felt really funny since it's basically the Silent Hill situation but in reverse. American property shifted to Japan to making non- numbered games for a long time while trying to copy one of the older games. Though at least the wizardry influence lives on in successful games like Dark Souls and it's knockoffs instead of just being endlessly copied like 2 and Silent Hills.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Hel posted:

It just felt really funny since it's basically the Silent Hill situation but in reverse. American property shifted to Japan to making non- numbered games for a long time while trying to copy one of the older games. Though at least the wizardry influence lives on in successful games like Dark Souls and it's knockoffs instead of just being endlessly copied like 2 and Silent Hills.

You're not wrong, but I'd argue there's a key difference imo. The big one being that Wizardry is one of the most formative works in video games, period, coming along early and being one of the common ancestors that set expectations for every RPG that has followed. Silent Hill was also incredibly influential, but it's aped in terms of aesthetics, plot and most importantly major characters that Wizardry escaped.

My beef is not with games that draw direct gameplay influence, like PT knockoffs or the endless bad dad games. That's a legacy, not a zombie series. Wizardry set a lot of groundwork for everything from dungeon crawlers to (in some ways) primitive open worlds, and the existence of terrible games in both genres isn't the problem. Also by all accounts the Japanese Wizardry games are real good if you want 80's-style dungeon crawling, so I can't complain about their existence the way one would about Downpour.

Also you're still seeing Pyramid Head-branded jorts or whatever, and I just know he'll be making an appearance in whatever Bloober poops out. The fact that the dude was supposed to manifest specifically for James just makes this stupider. Trebor, Werdna, Bela and The Dark Savant aren't appearing on collectible cups or randomly showing up in other fantasy games it's safe to say the Western Wizardry series is dead, and good for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played a Japanese wizardry game for the PS3 years ago and the only thing I remember from it was that the dwarf race was the largest of all the races.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The PS4 trophy list for Doki Doki Literature Club is currently bugged...booooo!

MY CHEEVOS!!!!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1410660197543165954?s=19

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you don’t like it you should have tried manifesting your thoughts as hard as I have

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

They've only been a co-developer but maybe this will be they're breakout hit? Come to think of it I don't even know which Capcom dev team did RE2 Remake so who knows...

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Can't wait for the first game to retcon Isaac into having monologue and not be a fat, balding techie.

And by that, I mean I'm dreading it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Wamdoodle posted:

They've only been a co-developer but maybe this will be they're breakout hit? Come to think of it I don't even know which Capcom dev team did RE2 Remake so who knows...

If I'm remembering right the main one, b team did RE3make

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've only played the first Dead Space but I would love if Isaac was just a blue collar rear end in a top hat who stays professional. Like modern Doomguy he opens a switchbox and gore just spills out he sighs and pulls out the WD40.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dead Space still feels modern enough that a full blown remake already sounds kind of weird on paper.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

man nurse posted:

Dead Space still feels modern enough that a full blown remake already sounds kind of weird on paper.

It's older than Nier, which had its remake a couple months ago.

Edit: I guess you could argue Nier was a bit more like a remaster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Isaac...a fat, balding techie.

isaac was always built like a linebacker and for good reason, he was a field engineer who had to lug spaceship parts around

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Kokoro Wish posted:

fat, balding techie

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/deadspace/images/b/bd/Isaac_DS3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130210192340

:confused:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope they keep all the best scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKjbU-rihQ

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

And if you look at him from the back with his helmet off, he had heavy male pattern baldness happening. In the first game, he's like one of the Ghostbusters. Just a schlubby dude.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

What's the appeal of Doki Doki? It's two hours of regular VN, then a bit of horror, then it expects me to sift through it's fake OS for small Easter eggs. They added a soundtrack player, a concept art viewer, and some side stories. Weirdest horror hit in forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a VN, the appeal is writing and characters

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Untrustable posted:

What's the appeal of Doki Doki? It's two hours of regular VN, then a bit of horror, then it expects me to sift through it's fake OS for small Easter eggs. They added a soundtrack player, a concept art viewer, and some side stories. Weirdest horror hit in forever.

In terms of the major appeal, I think that the “this is really cute, wouldn’t it be wild if it was actually TWISTED and hosed UP” tone, and some of the stuff with random variation in certain effects, made it really YouTube- and streamer-friendly. Like, people who overreact to being scared could make great content out of it, and it might even be worth watching multiple of your faves play through it to see if they get different scares! Plus the theming I think makes it so parents either don’t catch on and mind kids playing it, or the kids themselves aren’t too afraid to ever try it. I do think Doki Doki is a neat experience and mean nothing against it by this, but it absolutely caught on with kids (as young as pre-teens) and that’s going to catapult anything into the stratosphere in terms of its general presence on the internet.

As an aside, there were a few indies at E3 going for the “this normal or even family-friendly thing is secretly twisted” style of horror game, and I suspect it’ll be a subgenre on the rise for a while now between all of the games inspired by Five Nights and Doki Doki. Like it was a thing where if we saw a game where you were in first person in some sort of job environment, my watch group and I would unfailingly joke expecting the twist, and I think we were right like 70% of the time.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Recognition Scene posted:

but it absolutely caught on with kids (as young as pre-teens)

Totally. I was introduced to it by my nine-year-old son.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was doing a lot of streaming just for a dozen or so friends during quarantine. Lots of puzzle and adventure games we could solve together line Obra Dinn or Painscreek Killings. I let them pick a game for me and they went with Doki and I really fought it cause I felt like they were just trolling me and making me play an anime thing I was gonna hate so gently caress them I got into it and gave all the girls voices and we were having fun.

Little did I know they were just waiting for the turn and watching as I slowly realized things were off. Really loved the experience but I think you either have to love the visual novel genre and embrace the perversion of the tropes or know literally nothing.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Untrustable posted:

It's not gore/jumpscare horror, but there are things in there both small and large (in addition to the suicides) that can be unsettling to people who are easily disturbed/suffering from depression. One of them for me was the poem writing with all of the subliminal messages, plus the bits towards the end when Yuri and Natsuki start to lose it (Yuri, who is obviously the most sexualized character throughout the game, saying things like "I'll even touch myself when I read your poem and then cut myself with it so I can feel you in my bloodstream" and Natuski, who is being abused, saying "My Dad would beat the poo poo out of me if he knew I was reading manga.). The way it's presented in context sticks with you. I was creeped out at the end with the soundtrack and setting for Monika's "hostage" monologue.

There have been people who datamined the poo poo out of the game and found things that hint at another game or that DDLC is part of a bigger universe, and some of the discoveries are creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9AWvi82uDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28Dd8jXZxs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Untrustable posted:

Tbh most of the people that I talked to about it, including myself, liked the spooky stuff but mostly the appeal was in the first arc, which had a pretty frank discussion about the effects and reasons for depression and suicide. In that the main character did the VN protag thing of trying to hug and sympathize her issues away, and it backfired horribly because that's now how it works.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just remembering that the silent Hill franchise killed the studios that did downpour and homecoming, and Tom hullet getting years of online abuse, maybe bloober team has no idea what they are getting into if they made a generic bad western silent hill which lol

Although I suspect if they did a remaster of 1 or 2 it would be well received since they don't seem incompetent when it comes to the technical presentation stuff

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
A really good, Re2 level remake of SH1 could definitely work.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just remembering that the silent Hill franchise killed the studios that did downpour

To their credit? The team that made Downpour was like a completely nobody Czech studio that had only previously made like one XBLA game, so there wasn't much that could be done about that one after a high profile flop.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'd be curious to hear this thread's perspectives on Downpour; though it wasn't in the vein of the early series games, it seemed less dire than homecoming or origins- but I never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd be curious to hear this thread's perspectives on Downpour; though it wasn't in the vein of the early series games, it seemed less dire than homecoming or origins- but I never played it.

I think the last time it came up general consensus was along the same lines, bad but not quite as bad as Homecoming/Origins. I personally hated it, I managed to finish Homecoming and almost finish Origins (game crashing bugs, I did watch someone else finish it for reals) but I think I bailed after like the second or third invincible red light chase sequence in Downpour

edit: to be fair Homecoming and Origins may have just whittled down my willpower before I could make it to Downpour, it would also explain why I don't seem to like Shattered Memories as much as other people

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 4, 2021