Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So, I watched 'The Watch' on Iplayer, and as a massive TP fan... I like it. Alot
It's not a faithful reproduction in any way, but having seen those loving movies with Delboy Rincewind, it is 100 times better for taking names and themes from across the whole series of books, blending them into a hosed up semi-modern setting, then letting them go. More grimdark humour, a vague sense of knowing who's who, but enough change that it's not the same thing. Its like a parallel dimension to discworlds parallel dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

In part 570 of "Brexit's Going Well", my dad needed some concrete for one of his jobs, went to B&Q only to find out they are rationing it, they only get a couple of pallets in every week. So 4 bags per person limit, 8 if you've got one of their trade cards.

Seems healthy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I can't remember if I already posted about it (apols if so) but I was invited to a party this summer with the dress stated as "Planter's Orders" which seems problematic.

e: not unrelated a colleague originally from India was telling me on a team call how her school was set up by Scottish people and still makes them all sing British hymns and so all sorts of weird boarding school poo poo. All I could say was "I'm so, so sorry"

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 3, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

In part 570 of "Brexit's Going Well", my dad needed some concrete for one of his jobs, went to B&Q only to find out they are rationing it, they only get a couple of pallets in every week. So 4 bags per person limit, 8 if you've got one of their trade cards.

Seems healthy.

We export concrete (and all of its constituent parts) though, so I don't think that's a Brexit thing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

Seems healthy.

This happened with plaster last year.

Manufacturing had slowed down to a point where they couldnt keep up with the demand after it skyrocketed with all the house renovation. Theres a lot of building work going on worldwide now so concrete will be in short supply.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, there's been shops selling it around Chinatown for ages (I think the one in Newport Court was there from about 2000) and they always seemed to be doing an okay trade, but for some reason today it was absolutely mad, especially as there's like a dozen shops selling it now.

Longer than that. I remember going to Wonkees (?) Wong Kei's in the 1980s, in Chinatown, it was the 'in place' where the staff were rude and you got what you were given. That was supposed to be fun. The only drink was bubble tea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Kei

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 3, 2021

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/commaficionado/status/1411256002549325826

Schools trying to make british people serfs again

quote:

But other parents were in favour of the rules, with the headteacher saying that most families agree with them. One parent said: "Most of those rules apply in schools anyway, just look worse when they are put in writing."

Another wrote: "I think the main bulk of this is absolutely fine and these rules should be in every school; children don't have respect these days."

Screenshots posted online by parents showed the rules were around some of the main aspects of school life - titled entries, line up, mobiles, equipment, movement and uniform. One rule about lining up said staff will be using whistles to direct kids, with five sounds meaning they must move to their line up area, and one indicating pupils should be silent. Another about "tracking" the teacher said: "You don't pick up your pen or your ruler, or anything else, until your teacher gives you the signal.

"You never turn around - even if you hear a noise behind you. You don't look out of the window. You don't lose focus."

A rule on sitting up straight said: "You never slouch. Be sitting up straight you are demonstrating physical respect. [ ...] No exceptions. No excuses."
These Days you can't even enforce a set of cult-like rules designed to turn teenagers into cowed, obedient dolls with a dash of Pavlov's dog thrown in, These Days.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We export concrete (and all of its constituent parts) though, so I don't think that's a Brexit thing.

Could be an issue with the sudden shortage of HGV drivers. Plenty of concrete to go around but, not many people there to facilitate the delivery? Indy link.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The pandemic slowed consumption as well as production so now the richer nations are starting to return to normal the shortfall in production is becoming more pronounced. My parents can't get the diet dog food they need to stop the pooch from being so tubby he's breaking his own legs from jumping off things while overweight.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I got my roof fixed a few months back and the roofers ended up driving round a bunch of wholesalers until they found one that was still selling new tiles. Shortages all over.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, there's been shops selling it around Chinatown for ages (I think the one in Newport Court was there from about 2000) and they always seemed to be doing an okay trade, but for some reason today it was absolutely mad, especially as there's like a dozen shops selling it now.

What’s weird is that last weekend I went to the Westfield centre for the first time in a year. While I was walking around I saw a guy drinking bubble tea, and thought I fancied one as well, and went to the bubble tea stand where there was a reasonably big queue. So I guess I was part of the craze, but it’s not like I was desperate to look cool, or even think that bubble tea is new or exotic.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 3rd July 2021

An update from a different committee member this month.

So firstly, a little update on us and the constitution. As mentioned by Maugrim in the last update, we are currently working towards becoming an actual real life charity. Basically, because you have all been so generous, in order for us to continue the great work we need to make it official. There are some very long documents that need to prepared and reviewed prior to sending them to the Charity commission. We should have an update on this very soon.

Our funds are slightly up on last month as there were not many applications. The fund is in a good position however we are aware of a larger amount going out shortly so all help is gratefully received. May I also say a big thank you everyone for allowing us to continue helping goons in need.

If you are someone that is in need, no how minor or petty you think your need may be, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Anyway, onto the reason that all of you are here.... HARDCORE NUDITY STATISTICS AND GRAPHS

June Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - :siren: Please do not donate via PayPal for the time being :siren:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

These Days you can't even enforce a set of cult-like rules designed to turn teenagers into cowed, obedient dolls with a dash of Pavlov's dog thrown in, These Days.

Doesn't really matter.
Those rules have them in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act in just about every way possible. There are a bunch of medical and neurodevelopmental conditions that would make those rules impossible to follow, and whoops, we can't afford to pay all of our teachers next year because we're being sued by the families of 30+ pupils.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OzyMandrill posted:

So, I watched 'The Watch' on Iplayer, and as a massive TP fan... I like it. Alot
It's not a faithful reproduction in any way, but having seen those loving movies with Delboy Rincewind, it is 100 times better for taking names and themes from across the whole series of books, blending them into a hosed up semi-modern setting, then letting them go. More grimdark humour, a vague sense of knowing who's who, but enough change that it's not the same thing. Its like a parallel dimension to discworlds parallel dimension.

I've been putting off watching it so thats really nice to hear.

I always like the Cosgtove hall animated discworld adaptations more than the Sky one live action ones. although Truckers is the best tv adaptation a Pratchet book by far imo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

What’s weird is that last weekend I went to the Westfield centre for the first time in a year. While I was walking around I saw a guy drinking bubble tea, and thought I fancied one as well, and went to the bubble tea stand where there was a reasonably big queue. So I guess I was part of the craze, but it’s not like I was desperate to look cool, or even think that bubble tea is new or exotic.

Maybe it's just one of those things that people haven't had in ages (I assume it's not something you can really make at home) so when they see it when out and about they can't stop themselves. this is why I made sure not to walk down Denmark Street with all its guitar shops, and yes you can rewrite that joke with several other streets and goods and services available for sale in the area.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mr Phillby posted:

I've been putting off watching it so thats really nice to hear.

I always like the Cosgtove hall animated discworld adaptations more than the Sky one live action ones. although Truckers is the best tv adaptation a Pratchet book by far imo.

Truckers was immense, my grandad recorded it all off the telly back in the early 90s or whenever it was on and I used to watch the crap out of it.

Gutted they didn't do the sequels after setting up for them.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Could be an issue with the sudden shortage of HGV drivers. Plenty of concrete to go around but, not many people there to facilitate the delivery? Indy link.

Another reason for a lot of shortages is that the massive cost of shipping containers from China has caused a lot of shipping companies to pull their ships off other routes to get in on the bonanza. One of our suppliers imports decorative granite from India, and says it's almost impossible to find anyone willing to ship it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1411369092808851457

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Not just containers, ports are a nightmare now. 20-30% capacity lost to government containers (the dodgy ppe from dodgy contracts is basically still sitting there, and can't move due to costs). Road freight is brexit-hosed, so the cost to get a container out of the port is now £20k+ (used to be £1500 ish) . On clothing its an extra 10-15%, on wood its 200-300%, on aggregates its 10x the worth of the goods themselves so no one can import them any more. Shits hosed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jpublik/status/1411266026633895937?s=21

Of course.

Remind me, where was that article that went 'hmm, this random guy is suspiciously influential in the government, wonder why that is' again?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OzyMandrill posted:

Not just containers, ports are a nightmare now. 20-30% capacity lost to government containers (the dodgy ppe from dodgy contracts is basically still sitting there, and can't move due to costs). Road freight is brexit-hosed, so the cost to get a container out of the port is now £20k+ (used to be £1500 ish) . On clothing its an extra 10-15%, on wood its 200-300%, on aggregates its 10x the worth of the goods themselves so no one can import them any more. Shits hosed.

The shipping companies made as much profit in the first quarter of this year as they did in the previous 5.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/jpublik/status/1411266026633895937?s=21

Of course.

Remind me, where was that article that went 'hmm, this random guy is suspiciously influential in the government, wonder why that is' again?

Of what benefit is Gove to Murdoch?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OzyMandrill posted:

So, I watched 'The Watch' on Iplayer, and as a massive TP fan...

Never going to watch it as it was an obvious post death cash grab that hosed over Rhianna Pratchett and those who were working on the series originally when Terry was alive.
The BBC transferred the rights over to BBC America who just totally pissed all over it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

domhal posted:

Of what benefit is Gove to Murdoch?

Viable new host body?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Politician least likely to appeal to Mrs murdoch

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

OzyMandrill posted:

I didn't even know this existed so thanks for the heads up. I like it so far! As a reimagining it's pretty cool.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I apologise for being commie and unpatriotic, but I hope we lose tonight. If we win this, the gammons brains will connect winning the euros with brexit, and act like we rolled tanks into Brussels, and captured the EU.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

I apologise for being commie and unpatriotic, but I hope we lose tonight. If we win this, the gammons brains will connect winning the euros with brexit, and act like we rolled tanks into Brussels, and captured the EU.

On the other hand, the current England team seem like a bunch of good lads who are making a point of using their platform to support LGBT rights and BLM, and their best player, Raheem Sterling, has been public enemy number one for our awful racist media.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kane isn't wearing the rainbow armband today. It's all over.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It works in the same way that those old patent medicines work. If half your hot lemon and honey isn't whiskey you're doing it wrong.

Yeah this sounds like a euphemism for a hot toddy, Natures Lemsip. Honey does actually help the throat a bit but mostly its the booze acting to take your mind off it.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

feedmegin posted:

Yeah this sounds like a euphemism for a hot toddy, Natures Lemsip. Honey does actually help the throat a bit but mostly its the booze acting to take your mind off it.

You can, of course, have the best of both worlds. A sachet of Lemsip, a squirt each of honey and lemon, a shot of spiced rum and topped up with boiling water.

The honey and lemon are by far the least important elements.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Trickjaw posted:

No Australian meat rations for you!
Better go get 10 Daily Stars and drab them on your front window as penance.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, the current England team seem like a bunch of good lads who are making a point of using their platform to support LGBT rights and BLM, and their best player, Raheem Sterling, has been public enemy number one for our awful racist media.

Oh, I don't want to denigrate the team. I can't speak to how they are playing, for tis kin to magic to me, but they certainly are supportive of all the right things, in the face of the fantom that hates them until they are winning.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

For sports ball players, is international or league performance more prestigious

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
been trying to stay away from this thread because there's a certain level of illness that is inherent within uk politics and how much it sucks rear end

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

happyhippy posted:

Never going to watch it as it was an obvious post death cash grab that hosed over Rhianna Pratchett and those who were working on the series originally when Terry was alive.
The BBC transferred the rights over to BBC America who just totally pissed all over it.
David Jasons films were with approval, huge budgets, true to the books, and they are proper poo poo. These aren't trying to follow the books and to my mind better for it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

been trying to stay away from this thread because there's a certain level of illness that is inherent within uk politics and how much it sucks rear end

So you're posting this because....?

Edit: aren't you the guy confidently predicting we would be looting each other in a Mad Max future by now?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 3, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

It would be nice if Leader of the Opposition Marcus Rashford was getting more game time.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

feedmegin posted:

So you're posting this because....?

Edit: aren't you the guy confidently predicting we would be looting each other in a Mad Max future by now?

I wish i could quit this thread but it's like an addiction, it pulls me back in.

I haven't seen raiders yet, but it's only a matter of time, I've already built multiple walls and armed myself with nerf guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OzyMandrill posted:

David Jasons films were with approval, huge budgets, true to the books, and they are proper poo poo. These aren't trying to follow the books and to my mind better for it.
Its a shame the original version of it got canned but like I'm going to judge it on its own merits instead of in opposition to a show that didn t get made.