Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone is talking about In The Heat Of The Night this week, a movie that has not been on my radar at all. If it’s at the store this month, I guess I’ll have to grab it.

It's really fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
arrow is doing a loving nothing but trouble BR

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

John Romero posted:

I just saw that and was about to tell the thread. Why are they doing this? Who asked for it?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If you haven’t read it, Pictures At A Revolution is a really great look at all the movies that were nominated for the 1967 Oscars, including In The Heat Of The Night. Sidney Poitier had a hell of a lot on his shoulders at that time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CPL593H posted:

I just saw that and was about to tell the thread. Why are they doing this? Who asked for it?

fans of good movies?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Me. The guy who saw it in theaters twice. :c00lbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's not a good movie. I'd even say that it's absolutely wretched. But what I will say about Nothing But Trouble is that it's certainly interesting. The only other movie I can think of that's such a profound window into a warped mind is The Room. I'm sure there are plenty of others but Nothing But Trouble tap dances on the edge of outsider art were it not for Aykroyd having access to an actual budget.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I confused nothing but trouble with big trouble

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean… I wasn’t not asking for it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It's not a good movie. I'd even say that it's absolutely wretched. But what I will say about Nothing But Trouble is that it's certainly interesting. The only other movie I can think of that's such a profound window into a warped mind is The Room.
Toys is that for me. It comes off as a misfire but no, that's not the case really, it's exactly the movie Barry Levinson intended to make. Every once in awhile my friends and I rewatch it expecting to see something in it, but it's the same sour experience every time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

John Romero posted:

hell yes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nothing But Trouble is respectably weird, kinda flat and such a strange surprising release. Like it shouldn’t exist from a mainstream studio off the back of a Ghostbuster, but it did! Why? Probably from a little bit of this and that. It’s not a good movie but it’s certainly a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Last podcast on the left

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The LPOTL boys did really will this existence into being. Weird stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No weirder than Kumail Nanjiani’s X-Files podcast bringing season 11 of the X-Files into existence.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone is talking about In The Heat Of The Night this week, a movie that has not been on my radar at all. If it’s at the store this month, I guess I’ll have to grab it.

Ditto, I just blind bought it because of this thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Toys is that for me. It comes off as a misfire but no, that's not the case really, it's exactly the movie Barry Levinson intended to make. Every once in awhile my friends and I rewatch it expecting to see something in it, but it's the same sour experience every time.

Toys is also bugfuck insane. It seems like major studios took bigger risks in the 90s. Of course the lack of success or very modest returns on a lot of that weird poo poo is probably one of several reasons they don't do that anymore. You're never going to see poo poo like Tank Girl or Fortress in wide release again.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Franchescanado posted:

For me, I was just scrolling through the listings and saw the art, saw Sidney Poitier was involved and the synopsis was enough to make it a completely blind buy for me.

Anatomy of a Murder because I’ve heard it’s real good. Blind buy

Barry Lyndon because I’ve heard so much about the drat lenses that capture candlelight in the last year, that I might as well. Also a blind buy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Toys feels like a movie version of the 6th Doctor era of Doctor Who. Terrible costumes and all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

No weirder than Kumail Nanjiani’s X-Files podcast bringing season 11 of the X-Files into existence.

I feel like we traded his podcast for getting the show back, and after having seen the new seasons of the show, I'd have preferred the podcast continuing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

For me, I was just scrolling through the listings and saw the art, saw Sidney Poitier was involved and the synopsis was enough to make it a completely blind buy for me.

Anatomy of a Murder because I’ve heard it’s real good. Blind buy

Barry Lyndon because I’ve heard so much about the drat lenses that capture candlelight in the last year, that I might as well. Also a blind buy.

Barry Lyndon loving rules. I have the Criterion and I’ve been trying to figure out a day to host a watch with my friends.

The first time I saw it I kept thinking how much of an influence it had on Scorsese.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like we traded his podcast for getting the show back, and after having seen the new seasons of the show, I'd have preferred the podcast continuing.

Revival X-Files wasn't very good but that episode that Kumail was in ruled and I'd put it up there with any of the best ones from the original run. It was also from a retooled unused Kolchak script which is why Rhys Darby is dressed like Kolchak.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

The LPOTL boys did really will this existence into being. Weird stuff.

I hope they can weasel their way into a bullshit commentary. They did an interview with Ackroyd too where they gushed about it haha.

I hate the movie but I’ll buy it to throw on as a movie to wig people out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Revival X-Files wasn't very good but that episode that Kumail was in ruled and I'd put it up there with any of the best ones from the original run. It was also from a retooled unused Kolchak script which is why Rhys Darby is dressed like Kolchak.

Oh yeah that episode rules.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

I asked for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Shout order showed up. A little strange that they don’t send ship confirmations and stuff just shows up whenever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

My Shout order showed up. A little strange that they don’t send ship confirmations and stuff just shows up whenever.

I've been wondering about. Fingers crossed it'll be there when I get home from work today.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I expected a few more weeks for it to ship. That’s usually how it goes with Shout.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Halloween 3 is the one everyone says is actually pretty good, right? Just looking at Shout stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

Halloween 3 is the one everyone says is actually pretty good, right? Just looking at Shout stuff.

It's great, although don't go into it expecting a "Halloween" movie

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Boywhiz88 posted:

As long as you're OK with a movie giving off Hardcore "Divorced Dad" Vibes, it's excellent.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

picked up The Sting and Speed UHD's since I was at a Best Buy this morning (picking up an xbox Series X) and havent walked through a media aisle in awhile. Even if it was just 1 and a half aisles and a couple end caps scattered around the store.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

picked up The Sting and Speed UHD's since I was at a Best Buy this morning (picking up an xbox Series X) and havent walked through a media aisle in awhile. Even if it was just 1 and a half aisles and a couple end caps scattered around the store.

Seriously, Walmart has a bigger media section than Best Buy these days.

What do people even go to Best Buy for now? Media was the only thing I ever went there for

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Steelbooks. That’s about it.

Edit: The Heavy Metal Blu-ray was a Best Buy exclusive when it was new. I don’t know if they’re still doing deals like that.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 3, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Steelbooks. That’s about it.

Edit: The Heavy Metal Blu-ray was a Best Buy exclusive when it was new. I don’t know if they’re still doing deals like that.

I meant like other people who don't buy media. I guess iPhones?

I got my copy of Heavy Metal out of the $7 bin at Walmart :shrug:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The wal marts and targets near me are all heavily down sizing their movies lately too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How the hell did Shout! coordinate their deliveries so well? I get home and my Shout package was there too, after not sending out any shipping notification.

Usually they take a lot longer to even process. What gives?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m working at Best Buy right now for another week and most people are shopping for TVs, appliances, phones/tablets, and just random little electronic Doo dads like replacement cables and converters.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

As long as you're OK with a movie giving off Hardcore "Divorced Dad" Vibes, it's excellent.

That's part of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I actually went to a Best Buy in my state yesterday that is tucked away and I didn’t even know existed. Was literally out of 2004- they had like three racks of movies