Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
there's one in every clutch :negative: i have so much respect for wild quail that actually successfully hatch and raise chicks out in nature. the deck is stacked against them but they just keep pobbling!

my thoughts and prayers are with all the hot chooks and their caretakers :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

happy to report my birds are safe as well. Tiny Man was the champion of the day, he didn't even seem bothered by the heat.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well our hen we thought was near death was doing much better this morning and is now mad as he'll shes still in the chicken hospital(large dog cage). Her poop looked not great, yellow and extra runny, so my wife is feeding her scrambled eggs mostly right now and we're keeping her inside for a few days more. This is my wife's favorite hen and after a lovely week she was not ready for her to pass so I am incredibly glad she's still around.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
As far as I know, chickens are the domesticated descendants of a jungle bird from southeast Asia. Of course, we've done all kinds of... interesting... things to their genetics since then, but still, I hope they can handle heat better than one might expect. :ohdear:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A Jungle Bird?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://i.imgur.com/VA5KcQW.mp4

(sound on)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It was 115f/46c yesterday and yet my chickens were all alive this morning.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our Luna has had two difficult eggs in four days. Friday and Sunday it took 12 hours to pass an egg. So this morning she was put on the Suprelorin implant to either give her body a break from eggs for a few months or, if she has problems further down the line, we'll keep her on the implant.

When we adopted her she weighed a mere 1.18kg. Today: 2.28kg!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

It seems it's for the best that Luna has had the implant as she dropped an egg outside the nest this morning and this afternoon we spotted a soft egg shell hanging out of her vent. She's been quiet and looking hunched as we're still waiting for a soft egg to pass.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Good news our sick hen has rejoined the flock this morning! Was absolutely convinced she wouldn't pull thru but she did!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Source4Leko posted:

Good news our sick hen has rejoined the flock this morning! Was absolutely convinced she wouldn't pull thru but she did!

That's so good to hear. Does she have a name?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

yay for miraculous hen recoveries and summertime flock survival, and all my best wishes for poor luna :h:

here are my tuxedo beeps - egret, scrubtit and the flying echidna - all holding strong and staying positive in the face of constant peril

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

spookygonk posted:

That's so good to hear. Does she have a name?

Raoul.

Here's she is in the middle of the dust bath with her sisters Aniki Danger and Lenin last month

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i love raoul and her sisters, they must be so pleased to have her back :unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nothing better than a bunch of chickens all bathing in the same spot, looking like a multi-headed megachicken.

Raoul & her sisters ❤️❤️❤️❤️

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One of our girls (about 18 months old now) has some wet / gross feathers around her butt so I am assuming that's a bit of diarrhea or whatever the chicken equivalent is? So far she is still laying, is alert, eating and drinking. Nothing but the wet feathers and she seems a little more unkempt than usual but not alarmingly so.

We noticed it yesterday evening, no worsening of behavior today, laid an egg 1st thing this morning etc and came out and ate / drank. Should we just keep an eye on her and see how it goes or is chicken diarrhea more of a risky thing? The other girls all seem 100% fine and happy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My girls are all nigh-identical pure white birds with bright red combs. Sure, if you look at them long enough you can tell that some are slightly larger or smaller and their combs are slightly different shapes, but not distinct enough that I can always distinguish them as individuals. So I was thinking about using leg tags. Anybody else use those? Do you use the numbered collars built for that purpose, rubberized bands, or just colored zip ties? Anything I need to look out for?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Imagined posted:

My girls are all nigh-identical pure white birds with bright red combs. Sure, if you look at them long enough you can tell that some are slightly larger or smaller and their combs are slightly different shapes, but not distinct enough that I can always distinguish them as individuals. So I was thinking about using leg tags. Anybody else use those? Do you use the numbered collars built for that purpose, rubberized bands, or just colored zip ties? Anything I need to look out for?

We use the likes of these with all our hens*.

https://www.amazon.com/HONBAY-100PC...5153800&sr=8-24

Started using them with our first three hens years ago, as we didn't think we'd ever be able to tell three small brown hens apart (how wrong we quickly were and how so obviously different they were). Now we do it to show they are part of someone's flock in case, god forbid, one should escape their cushy & pampered life in our garden / house.

*apart from Molly who made it quite clear she was NOT going to wear one.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Source4Leko posted:

Raoul.

Here's she is in the middle of the dust bath with her sisters Aniki Danger and Lenin last month

:)

we have restricted our kiddos to the garage for the heatwave but we've been taking them out in the morning for 'chicken breakfast' (we eat at the patio table, they eat too because they are spoiled, and they run around)

this morning they made a dust hole under a chair and were sooo happy

https://i.imgur.com/Nm2MtQs.mp4

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

One of our girls (about 18 months old now) has some wet / gross feathers around her butt so I am assuming that's a bit of diarrhea or whatever the chicken equivalent is? So far she is still laying, is alert, eating and drinking. Nothing but the wet feathers and she seems a little more unkempt than usual but not alarmingly so.

Is it hot where you live? It could be the extra water that she’s drinking going through her system. If she’s laying okay then it’s not peritonitis, which is what I’d be looking for.

Imagined posted:

My girls are all nigh-identical pure white birds with bright red combs.

I use the spiral kind of leg band, but in future I think I would go with the cuff type. Spirals can dig into the leg a bit.

Another thing you can do is put food coloring on the feathers. Some of the hatchery chicks we got had green head dots and some had purple, very cute! Just avoid red. We put blue on a hen last month when I didn’t have the leg bands handy and it’s still really obvious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Joburg posted:

Is it hot where you live? It could be the extra water that she’s drinking going through her system. If she’s laying okay then it’s not peritonitis, which is what I’d be looking for.

I use the spiral kind of leg band, but in future I think I would go with the cuff type. Spirals can dig into the leg a bit.

Another thing you can do is put food coloring on the feathers. Some of the hatchery chicks we got had green head dots and some had purple, very cute! Just avoid red. We put blue on a hen last month when I didn’t have the leg bands handy and it’s still really obvious.

Hotter than usual and hotter than recent weeks. It's been 90-97F and typically has been 10-15 degrees colder. Hopefully that's all it is then. Keeping an eye on her I don't feel too worried given the lack of any other symptoms and no changes in behavior, but I just don't know a lot about chicken diseases either and didn't want to miss some obvious risk that you all might be more aware of.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

It could also be vent gleet so keep an eye on whether it's a temporary thing or persists. Also if she can't clean up her feathers from this, then it's best to bathe the area and trim the feathers around the vent for her or else feces will start building up.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Closed on our house yesterday. By August I shall again have quailbies. :unsmith:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

congrats :toot:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

City of Glompton posted:

this morning they made a dust hole under a chair and were sooo happy

https://i.imgur.com/Nm2MtQs.mp4

I will never get tired of the tranquil peacefulness of dust-bathing birds. :blessed:

my cat is norris posted:

Closed on our house yesterday. By August I shall again have quailbies. :unsmith:

Yay!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Luna update!

She still with us this morning.

Just got back from the vets. On the way up in the box she had passed some uterus lining.
An x-ray showed a collapsed egg shell that the vet managed to extract. There also looks like another egg will come out, but hopefully that'll pass normally.

Luna's on antibiotics (baytril), anti inflammatories (loxycom) & extra calcium (zolcal-d).

Currently:

my cat is norris posted:

That's great news!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Enfys posted:

It could also be vent gleet so keep an eye on whether it's a temporary thing or persists. Also if she can't clean up her feathers from this, then it's best to bathe the area and trim the feathers around the vent for her or else feces will start building up.

Thanks I will keep an eye out for that and read up on vent gleet as well.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

spookygonk posted:

Currently:

:unsmith: beautiful sunshine queen

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the twins!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

perepelki posted:

the twins!

Majestic looking birbs

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

just beautiful 🤩

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

:unsmith: beautiful sunshine queen

Thank you. Luna's still seriously ill but we're doing everything we can for her. The last two nights she's slept in the house, but tonight she walked into her own nest outside and is currently snugged up next to Nova.

See what tomorrow brings.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good luck spookygonk i hope Luna pulls thru

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Luna is a beautiful girl I hope she pulls through.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sunday afternoon:

Luna is still with us, however she's still unwell.

Managed to get her to eat a little food (corn on the cob!) & water with her meds crop fed. Her poops are green & yellow, though we don't know if that's due to the various medications or she's trying to push that last egg out before the implant kicks in.

Have a vet appointment booked for 9:30 tomorrow morning.

Edit: Just been told that if a chicken isn't eating it's poops go green.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 4, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Best wishes, Luna! :pray:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Hang in there, little Luna

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008