Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Madkal posted:

My MP is Wilson-Raybould and she has spoken a bit about the recent unmarked graves and the treatment of first nation people in Canada but you know, evil politician who represents supremacy and doesn't care about genocide or whatever people think.

With so many to choose from it's always interesting to see which ones people choose to speak about.

It's definitely good to focus on our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Did she call it a genocide? Honest question, because Liberals were still refusing to do that last I checked.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'd rather live in Canada than China but that's just me.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

And the hits keep coming...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfires-june-30-2021-1.6085919

quote:

Village of Lytton, B.C., evacuated as mayor says 'the whole town is on fire'

Residents of a village in B.C.'s Fraser Canyon have been told to evacuate the area after a fast-moving wildfire swept in on Wednesday evening.

Mayor Jan Polderman says he told everyone to leave Lytton, a community of some 250 people, as the situation rapidly deteriorated. He signed the official evacuation order at 6 p.m. PT.

"It's dire. The whole town is on fire," Polderman told CBC News. "It took, like, a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to, all of a sudden, there being fire everywhere."

Lytton hit 49.6C on Tuesday. The whole town's going to burn to the ground, and god knows how many might die.

Speaking of heatwaves and death, "B.C. records 486 sudden deaths, almost triple the usual number, during heat wave": https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfires-june-30-2021-1.6085919

poo poo is so hosed right now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Really loving this whole old testament wrath of god stuff becoming a yearly occurrence.

Also BC hitting temps normally only seen in Saudi Arabia and maybe Phoenix Arizona.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ChickenDoodle posted:

And the hits keep coming...

The fact that Ian Hanomansing has been telling us for the past half hour that the CBC has been trying and failing to get in touch with anyone actually in Lytton is a bad sign. And its weather station went offline about three hours ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It’s basically Pompeii except ain’t poo poo gonna preserved. That’s the level of natural disaster that’s happening there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Really loving this whole old testament wrath of god stuff becoming a yearly occurrence.

If we shut everything down tomorrow it would continue to get worse for a hundred years. And emissions keep rising.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Does BC even have any active volcanoes? I feel like mentioning Pompeii might be tempting fate if they do given how the last 18 months have gone out there. :ohdear:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Furnaceface posted:

Does BC even have any active volcanoes? I feel like mentioning Pompeii might be tempting fate if they do given how the last 18 months have gone out there. :ohdear:

I can see one from my house, it’s called Mount Baker, so I get a choice of dying due to tsunami, extreme heat, forest fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Well, on the bright side that leaves out freezing to death or tornadoes. :v:

Now Im curious, how well funded is BCs emergency system for natural disasters? I cant imagine the BC Libs invested much, have the NDP spent anything on it?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ChickenDoodle posted:

I can see one from my house, it’s called Mount Baker, so I get a choice of dying due to tsunami, extreme heat, forest fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption!

Well, that's in the US. Even if it went off like Mount Saint Helen's and aimed itself right at Vancouver the blast wouldn't go far enough to hurt anyone. But it would be freakin loud after a few minutes. Garibaldi is also potentially active, but basically there's nothing in a spot where if it went off suddenly a lot of people, if anyone at all would die. I don't even think there's much danger from lahars anywhere, the geography is conveniently safe for that. This province being mostly empty helps a lot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

Now Im curious, how well funded is BCs emergency system for natural disasters? I cant imagine the BC Libs invested much, have the NDP spent anything on it?

The guy who just yesterday said “we were very clear that it’s hot! Not our problem if people die?”

Yeah I’m sure he did a great job.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

The guy who just yesterday said “we were very clear that it’s hot! Not our problem if people die?”

Yeah I’m sure he did a great job.

Oh god I missed that. What the gently caress is wrong with that man? Is he sabotaging the BCNDP on purpose or just unbelievably boomer?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furnaceface posted:

Oh god I missed that. What the gently caress is wrong with that man? Is he sabotaging the BCNDP on purpose or just unbelievably boomer?

He just won a majority he doesn't give a poo poo what people think of him as long as he can act like he's the greatest premier west of Quebec.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

Well, that's in the US. Even if it went off like Mount Saint Helen's and aimed itself right at Vancouver the blast wouldn't go far enough to hurt anyone. But it would be freakin loud after a few minutes. Garibaldi is also potentially active, but basically there's nothing in a spot where if it went off suddenly a lot of people, if anyone at all would die. I don't even think there's much danger from lahars anywhere, the geography is conveniently safe for that. This province being mostly empty helps a lot.

when garibaldi goes off, the entire station feels it all the way down to Gray 17

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Now there's a deep cut

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Our 911 system collapsed the other day during the heat wave. In Vancouver, not the sticks. No tsunami, fires, earthquake, etc., involved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/o9yf87/failure_in_bcehs_providing_health_care_resulting/

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

yippee cahier posted:

Our 911 system collapsed the other day during the heat wave. In Vancouver, not the sticks. No tsunami, fires, earthquake, etc., involved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/o9yf87/failure_in_bcehs_providing_health_care_resulting/

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/JournalLeRevoir/status/1410336734622199808

Catholic church illuminated in orange in support of first nations.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Willatron posted:

Did she call it a genocide? Honest question, because Liberals were still refusing to do that last I checked.

She's not a Liberal anymore, and she's Indigenous. That being said, I can't find any documented instances of JWR referring to it as a genocide. She has spoken pretty strongly and consistently about the injustices done. I'm not going to police the language an Indigenous woman uses to describe the atrocities committed against Indigenous people.

yippee cahier posted:

It wasn't just during the heatwave. EMS in the greater Vancouver region has been a mess for a while.

CTV Article Mar. 2nd, 2021 posted:

B.C. paramedic staffing now 'critical' as ambulance wait times reach 2 hours: union

VANCOUVER -- B.C.’s paramedics union says staffing levels across the province are now “critical,” causing ambulances to sit empty and wait times to balloon.

President of Ambulance Paramedics and Emergency Dispatchers of B.C. Troy Clifford said this past weekend was “the worst of the last couple of weeks,” with about 30 ambulances unstaffed Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in Metro Vancouver.

“Some emergency calls were waiting up to two hours for response time, just because no ambulances to send,” Clifford said in an interview with CTV News.

It’s not the first time the union has raised concerns about staff shortages. Just last week Clifford warned wait times had reached one hour for some emergency calls and more than two dozen ambulances were left empty. They’re calling on their management to acknowledge the problem, and work with them to find solutions to filling vacancies and recruiting.

CTV Article Feb. 23, 2021 posted:

VANCOUVER -- Paramedics are sounding the alarm after a night they said saw longer waits for calls in Metro Vancouver and more than two dozen ambulances left unstaffed due to shortages.

President of Ambulance Paramedics and Emergency Dispatchers of B.C. Troy Clifford said on Friday night, about 25 per cent of ambulances were sitting empty across the Lower Mainland, while waits for emergency calls were up to an hour, and waits for non-urgent calls were up to sixteen hours.

“Friday really was a culmination of the worst month we’ve seen for staffing, and workload, out of service numbers,” he said. “It wasn’t just isolated to Friday night, we’ve seen it all week, and we’ve seen it the weekend before. And it’s been really escalating since last summer when we really, through COVID and the overdose crisis, started seeing these numbers starting to increase, not only in the Lower Mainland, but across the province.”

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-paramedic-staffing-now-critical-as-ambulance-wait-times-reach-2-hours-union-1.5330153
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/it-really-hit-the-wall-paramedics-sound-alarm-over-unstaffed-ambulances-longer-waits-1.5321655

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChickenDoodle posted:

That said, at this point in time it's actually Mt. Rainier that stands a better chance of going kablooey that Baker does. And if Rainier ever goes off, it's gonna really gently caress up Washington State, but Mt. Baker erupting certainly wouldn't be fun either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Interesting mood in Ottawa today. Obviously it's nowhere near as busy as previous years but there was a definite tension in the air. Lots of orange and black out there but also lots of red and white. Way I see it there's only three reasons to be wearing red and white today and those are out of ignorance, knowing and not caring, or to intentionally spite protesters. There were a number of trash wannabes marching around waving Canada flags who were just spoiling for a fight.

It really felt like doing anything for Canada today was just wrong, so I haven't really done anything. Even the snowbird flyover felt like it was in poor taste. So I went for a walk to see how everyone was spending their day and it did feel like people were waiting for something to drop.

There's also been a lot of chalk graffiti around town saying Indigenous Lives Matter. I just walked down Elgin and saw a chalk sign in front of Knox Presbyterian Church saying "Jesus Matters More" because of loving course someone would write that.

I dont know how to feel about today yet, so I'm eating some lunch and processing.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting mood in Ottawa today. Obviously it's nowhere near as busy as previous years but there was a definite tension in the air. Lots of orange and black out there but also lots of red and white. Way I see it there's only three reasons to be wearing red and white today and those are out of ignorance, knowing and not caring, or to intentionally spite protesters. There were a number of trash wannabes marching around waving Canada flags who were just spoiling for a fight.

It really felt like doing anything for Canada today was just wrong, so I haven't really done anything. Even the snowbird flyover felt like it was in poor taste. So I went for a walk to see how everyone was spending their day and it did feel like people were waiting for something to drop.

There's also been a lot of chalk graffiti around town saying Indigenous Lives Matter. I just walked down Elgin and saw a chalk sign in front of Knox Presbyterian Church saying "Jesus Matters More" because of loving course someone would write that.

I dont know how to feel about today yet, so I'm eating some lunch and processing.

We were down at Parliament Hill with our orange shirts earlier today and yeah the mood was pretty strange. It was very sparsely attended by normal Canada Day standards, or even compared to the BLM marches last summer, and the various coloured shirt factions weren't particularly organized. It was strange to see so many people wearing red and white around though. A lot of them didn't seem particularly antagonistic, it almost looked like they just didn't get the memo. But there was nothing happening down town, so why even show up if you're not trying to make some kind of statement?

We did see one local chud try to debate a group of younger women carrying "No pride in genocide" signs, and there is something chaotic about seeing far right assholes defending the government. A good time was had by no one, and I think that's a mission accomplished for Canada Day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't think every person in red and white is doing it to be openly antagonistic. I know a few immigrants that like to go all out for Canada Day and a few that where a hockey jersey and have drinks with pals. I've also lived in neighborhoods where people where people do fireworks regardless what is being celebrated (seriously who even acknowledges Guy Fawkes day in Canada)

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Statue of the queen torn down at MB Legislature today

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
That's cool

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Boy I wonder if our EMS in Vancouver would be better able to manage things if we actually addressed the huge homelessness and toxic drug epidemic for once instead of doing nothing and leaving EMS to struggle to deal with the implications of these unaddressed issues night after night.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perhaps but have you considered not being poor? Then the EMS would be fine and we wouldn't have to spend money.aybe also consider that 400+ people dying in three days is just a thing that happens to others, over the hill or across the water.

Why change it now when it's working so well?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Statue of Queen Victoria doused in red paint in Kitchener today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Madkal posted:

I don't think every person in red and white is doing it to be openly antagonistic. I know a few immigrants that like to go all out for Canada Day and a few that where a hockey jersey and have drinks with pals. I've also lived in neighborhoods where people where people do fireworks regardless what is being celebrated (seriously who even acknowledges Guy Fawkes day in Canada)

Who doesn't celebrate Guy Fawkes day? It's great, you get drunk and have a bonfire if able, perhaps light some fireworks, and you can either celebrate the fact that he didn't blow up parliament, or the fact that he very nearly did (the latter being the typical mode of celebration in my experience). And in lieu of burning Guy in effigy, we burnt Bush several times, and Trump once. It's nice!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
eh o canada go

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

4chan and Anonymous ruined the Guy Fawkes mask for me, and I wonder if people who actually celebrate it have stopped wearing it because of that

edit: oh wait I guess it was always a pop culture anti-establishment thing

"Since the 2005 release of the film V for Vendetta, the use of Guy Fawkes masks has become widespread internationally among groups protesting against politicians, banks, and financial institutions. The masks both conceal the identity and protect the face of individuals and demonstrate their commitment to a shared cause... The mask became associated with the hacktivism group Anonymous's Project Chanology protests against the Church of Scientology in 2008."

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 2, 2021

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, traditionally you would set the Guy on fire.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PT6A posted:

Who doesn't celebrate Guy Fawkes day?

china. makes you think

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel bad for Tyler Shandro's kids getting caught up in the swarming yesterday. Shame their dad is a fuckhead who deserves to get belittled in public.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Karmic justice for yelling on someone's driveway because they posted a lovely meme.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Falun Gong morons out today and I get the "best" bus passengers reading their signs and loudly gasping and exclaiming how shocking it all is.

I just want my Karl Marx tornado.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Horgan always knows the exact wrong thing to say
https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/1411380685546278915

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Horgan: Vandalism will not move us forward. Respect and understanding will.
First nations people: Okay, then, respect and understand us
Horgan: no