Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HopperUK of this parish did a whole bunch of Bob Ross with acrylics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Angrymog posted:

HopperUK of this parish did a whole bunch of Bob Ross with acrylics.

Oh hello! I didn't, I'm afraid, I mostly used oils. I've had limited success with acrylics though I've started messing with them now. My only advice as a total beginner is that even if the paper says it's primed, you might wanna buy some white gesso - it's cheap, buy a big thing of it - and paint a layer onto the paper before you start your actual painting. And don't thin acrylics out with water unless you really must because it fucks up the binding and the paint will slip and slide all over the paper like a dickhead.

These days I do watercolours because you don't have to break out paint thinner and chemical-weapon your nosy cat.

e: I painted a spaceship with heavy body acrylics and it pleased me though. I don't wanna hear the nacelles are asymmetrical there is only so long I'm prepared to spend crossing my eyes over a sketch when all I wanna do is gently caress with paint:)

It's the Orinoco I think. I should do more spaceships. Combine your nerderies, I say.

e2: I am tickled pink that someone remembered my pictures.:)

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2021

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Haven't drawn for a while. Good to get back to it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoben posted:

Haven't drawn for a while. Good to get back to it

Pretty! Reminds me of that famous 'wave' painting.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

After a long hiatus I finally made another gear painting:
https://i.imgur.com/tn831bU.gifv

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

HopperUK posted:

Pretty! Reminds me of that famous 'wave' painting.

The great wave of Kanagawa, often listed as the first of the series 36 Views of Mt Fuji by Hokusai. A series that I am currently repainting in watercolors because sometimes you just need a project, you know.https://catropy.com/tag/mt-fuji/

On the blog listed there is more, I am currently at 8 I think?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 8, 2021

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
I hope this is okay to post here because everything in here is done traditionally.

I made a virtual art gallery of all the paintings I have made during the pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzcFEHxXSs

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Man do I adore 5B pencils

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This adventure's map is going to be a bit different in that it's an actual dungeon. It's a lot of real estate so I was going to do something a bit faster; I'm going to sketch out the shape of each room or small section of the dungeon on a watercolor pad, clean it up and go over the walls with a sharpie, draw a line grid and go over that with a finer marker, and then hit the whole thing with a grey watercolor.

Am I right to assume that the watercolor will "wash" over the paper and the marker lines will clearly show throw? And if I layer up the grey wash I can easily get some lighter and darker areas? This is going to be more like a "arts and crafts" than a real painting, should be a little simpler and more suited to cranking out a 4 foot by 6 foot dungeon.

Sound reasonable? Anything I should watch out for?

Fake edit: oh maybe a dark blue would look better than grey?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My first proof was better than my "actual" print :negative:

I don't think I like layer-on-layer printing either, I must not have let the black dry enough (although the first layer dried 2 weeks so who the hell knows). Oh well. I'll print it again eventually, I lie to myself.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Trabant posted:

I don't think I like layer-on-layer printing either, I must not have let the black dry enough (although the first layer dried 2 weeks so who the hell knows). Oh well. I'll print it again eventually, I lie to myself.

Its really good but your red is too transparent. Maybe try sliding some black pigment or white pigment in there. I've tried the red I think you have there and had the same issues.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Trabant posted:

How about if I pay you for a second print and then you send it to me? There is already a bunch of goon art up on the walls, this will fit in nicely.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Trabant posted:

The F is too hard to read but the eyes make it. Really didn't notice them at first.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

This adventure's map is going to be a bit different in that it's an actual dungeon. It's a lot of real estate so I was going to do something a bit faster; I'm going to sketch out the shape of each room or small section of the dungeon on a watercolor pad, clean it up and go over the walls with a sharpie, draw a line grid and go over that with a finer marker, and then hit the whole thing with a grey watercolor.

Am I right to assume that the watercolor will "wash" over the paper and the marker lines will clearly show throw? And if I layer up the grey wash I can easily get some lighter and darker areas? This is going to be more like a "arts and crafts" than a real painting, should be a little simpler and more suited to cranking out a 4 foot by 6 foot dungeon.

Sound reasonable? Anything I should watch out for?

Fake edit: oh maybe a dark blue would look better than grey?

Did you try this out? I'd usually do watercolour before line work but so long as your markers are permanent it should work like you think. Some of this is just a trial and error thing though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HopperUK posted:

Did you try this out?

I did, yeah. Let me grab the images.

Dunno what's up for the next adventure, I think it's a map of Baldur's Gate itself.

That's the order I did them in, you can see I got a little more aware of how the paint and water and paper would interact, also each one was faster than the previous; I was really rushing at the end so I think number three is the best.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's the order I did them in, you can see I got a little more aware of how the paint and water and paper would interact, also each one was faster than the previous; I was really rushing at the end so I think number three is the best.

Nice! I love the weathered look of the land especially. If you're not using decent watercolour paper, by the way, do get some - at least 300gm/140lb in weight. If you're wanting a weathered look you want cold-pressed or NOT paper, and if you can afford cotton rag, that is best. It's pricey though. If you're in the UK, Cass Arts do a decent watercolour jumbo pad - it's not cotton but it's decent. The paper is the main thing to spend on, if you're going to spend. Then paint, then brushes, I reckon.

I see you got some runbacks there where wetter paint hit drier paint and bloomed into those cabbagey looking things. They're not always awful, but they suck when you don't want em.:) The main skill that I appreciated finally learning was 'lifting' - how to get rid of paint you'd rather wasn't there. Both touching a damp brush to paint to pick it up before it dries, and scrubbing gently and then dabbing kitchen roll to pick out clouds and highlights and stuff in a wash that's already down. Those kinds of tricks are SO much easier on better paper.

e: it looks to me, Not An Expert At All, that you might not be using enough water. There should be a pretty silly amount of water. Wetter is usually better for washes. Do some practice messing around with washes. It's fun!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, you're almost certainly right about not enough water, I really struggled with keeping that consistent as I went back for more paint, went back for more water, covered more paper, etc.

Edit: that black is NOT sharpie, Google suggested the solvent based sharpie would NOT work with water color, so it's a water color pen I put on as the last layer.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

To get even colour and nice gradations in watercolour wet the area of the paper that you want to paint first, then go in with the pigment.

Also, use two jars of water - one to clean the brush, the other to pick up clean water.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

silicone thrills posted:

Its really good but your red is too transparent. Maybe try sliding some black pigment or white pigment in there. I've tried the red I think you have there and had the same issues.

Hmm, good observation. This is a Cranfield Caligo Safewash "process red" and I figured it'd be as opaque as it gets. I'll experiment with it next time around.

Keetron posted:

How about if I pay you for a second print and then you send it to me? There is already a bunch of goon art up on the walls, this will fit in nicely.

That's very kind -- thank you! Despite being internet strangers I like goons so I'm happy to just send you one free of charge. You can DM me the address. The downside is it'll probably be at least a few weeks before my next attempt so... it might take a minute.

sigma 6 posted:

The F is too hard to read but the eyes make it. Really didn't notice them at first.

Ha! I actually thought I was overdoing it with the eyes, so I'm glad to hear that.

There's a third Easter egg / clue in there, but that one probably is a little too hard to spot.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

The paper is the main thing to spend on, if you're going to spend. Then paint, then brushes, I reckon.
yup, this is the way to go. Buy expensive cotton paper and be a very happy painter. Practice on smaller pieces if you fear throwing away money.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

yup, this is the way to go. Buy expensive cotton paper and be a very happy painter. Practice on smaller pieces if you fear throwing away money.

yeah I bought big sheets of Hahnemuhle and just chop them up to mess around with. I do also paint on less expensive paper but the difference is really noticeable

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/LBiLIgQ.gifv

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beautiful art and on-demand ocd generating machine.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Beautiful art and on-demand ocd generating machine.

The real OCD happens when the starting position is "lost" and I can't get all the gears to line up :sludgepal:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Terrible pics of some t-shirt art I was expermenting with this week. Kinda like how they look, though the paint itself has a bit of a metallic sheen that makes it impossible to photograph well.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Working on a series of line drawings of bar bathrooms.

1 of 21 down. Gotta go do some more research and find some nice grimy dive-bar bathrooms

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been in a wierd headspace for a few months. Finally took a photo that inspired me enough to paint.

Just a first layer. Need to refine the feet and the fry but dont wanna muddy it up too much.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 19, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fantastic work on this page!!

You guys make me feel slightly guilty for posting such loose, lovely sketches.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Shirley MacLaine?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Frustratingly, I can't find the exact image I used as a rough guide, but there's several varieties of this 5e map on GIS. I did the water first and the right road first, and as you can see I still used far too much pigment. However, I did the grass second and got much closer to understanding just how watered down it needs to be; the green went on very very light and I was able to layer it in several places, which was a first. The grey of the city and the hill top I made with very diluted black and I was mostly just trying not to have a horrific repeat of the river right in the middle of the city.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 22, 2021

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

I love all the art you all have posted so thought I’d toss my hat in the ring as well. I’ve been working on improving my acrylic painting, and though I usually do landscapes I’ve been watching a lot of let’s plays of HollowKnight lol.

And this one

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

Shirley MacLaine?

Yup. Surprised you got it given how loose the sketch is.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have not made art really during covid, and I really need to get back. I started this like 2 years ago and am finally making progress. I have a stack of half done stuff and it needs to go. Acrylic markers on gessobord. My fingers are stained purple forever.

I am not sure about the background, might go less crazy bright with it once the turtle head is done. Maybe add a hint of leaves or something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Back in November I got an ipad to draw on and kind of got sucked into it for 6 months but I recently found out about ink pencils and they got me back into traditional media. So I've been going through and cataloging all this stuff I drew between the start of 2020 and now because it's cool seeing how I improved after 6 months of steady digital practice. Here's all my traditional Quarantine Art and 2021 art that is A) More than ~60% done and B) Not already framed and hanging somewhere

It's all a jumbled mess of ink pencil, colored pencil, acrylic pen, oil pen, gouache, fineliner, sharpie, gel pen, alcohol marker and brush marker, on a jumbled mess of different paper types like black construction paper, art boards, treeless paper, and sketchbook pages.

HungryMedusa posted:

I have not made art really during covid, and I really need to get back. I started this like 2 years ago and am finally making progress. I have a stack of half done stuff and it needs to go. Acrylic markers on gessobord. My fingers are stained purple forever.

I am not sure about the background, might go less crazy bright with it once the turtle head is done. Maybe add a hint of leaves or something.

I love the color of the background personally but as you can see I am all about shoving flourescent backgrounds everywhere. It gives it a very summer feel and, I am not sure what I mean by this but it makes this painting of a turtle reminiscent of watermelon, and turtles and watermelon go together: they both live inside hard shells and they eat each other.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 27, 2021

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

sandnavyguy posted:

I love all the art you all have posted so thought I’d toss my hat in the ring as well. I’ve been working on improving my acrylic painting, and though I usually do landscapes I’ve been watching a lot of let’s plays of HollowKnight lol.

And this one

I like the blend of techniques in these!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Back in November I got an ipad to draw on and kind of got sucked into it for 6 months but I recently found out about ink pencils and they got me back into traditional media. So I've been going through and cataloging all this stuff I drew between the start of 2020 and now because it's cool seeing how I improved after 6 months of steady digital practice. Here's all my traditional Quarantine Art and 2021 art that is A) More than ~60% done and B) Not already framed and hanging somewhere

It's all a jumbled mess of ink pencil, colored pencil, acrylic pen, oil pen, gouache, fineliner, sharpie, gel pen, alcohol marker and brush marker, on a jumbled mess of different paper types like black construction paper, art boards, treeless paper, and sketchbook pages.

I love the color of the background personally but as you can see I am all about shoving flourescent backgrounds everywhere. It gives it a very summer feel and, I am not sure what I mean by this but it makes this painting of a turtle reminiscent of watermelon, and turtles and watermelon go together: they both live inside hard shells and they eat each other.

The mention of turtles and watermelon has actually kind of made my brain explode a little. I might have to do a watermelon turtle piece after this that has actual watermelon and turtles in it. My thing is still lives with reptiles and that makes so much sense!

Do you mind linking what you use as far as "ink pencils" go?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HungryMedusa posted:

The mention of turtles and watermelon has actually kind of made my brain explode a little. I might have to do a watermelon turtle piece after this that has actual watermelon and turtles in it. My thing is still lives with reptiles and that makes so much sense!

Do you mind linking what you use as far as "ink pencils" go?

I'm using Derwent Inktense pencils (Derwent's actual website is extremely confusing and I don't think it has any actual product info on it but here's the listing at Blick: https://www.dickblick.com/products/derwent-inktense-pencils/). I don't know if there are other/imitation brands out there, I've had a hard time finding much info about them in general.

They're essentially watercolor pencils, except once you water-brush them the effect is permanent - so it can't be reworked like watercolor can, but they can be layered on top of each other for some really amazing color depth I've only otherwise been able to get by like, layering colored pencil between tons of layers of fixative.

They've been great for drawing on canvas shoes as well - you can just get the entire shoe wet and then sketch on them with these pencils to add permanent and extremely vibrant color, then apply a brush wherever you need to blend. I'm still working on getting some shoes completed though, I can't find my shoe forms and they're way too hard to draw on without them

I use their Graphitone pencils too which are kind of the same thing, but instead of dry ink block in the pencils it's water-soluble graphite. Kind of hard to explain and I just got them the other day, but you can shade with them like a normal graphite pencil and then water-brush them to smooth the shading out and get a painted look that's still clearly graphite (it has that graphite sheen to it)

(Only three of the pieces in my picture use inktense, they're still pretty new to me - the mountain with a fishtank on the left side is like 90% inktense, the second one down from the top left is a fineliner drawing colored with them, and the second one down from the top right [abstract with the robot thing and flagpole] is a base of inktense and then coloring on top of that with regular colored pencils and a little graphitone)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 30, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm using Derwent Inktense pencils (Derwent's actual website is extremely confusing and I don't think it has any actual product info on it but here's the listing at Blick: https://www.dickblick.com/products/derwent-inktense-pencils/).

:words:

Hey - that's cool. I kinda want to order some now.

Here is an engraving which looks poo poo against anything but the sky. Against the sky it doesn't look bad.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a giant overstuffed leather loveseat that's going to get thrown away and I'm looking for a reason to repurpose it. Is there anything I can use to paint/draw on leather that would withstand wear from people sitting on it? I've been Googling and the top 2 suggestions for leather are Acrylic and Alcohol Ink. I would expect Acrylic to rub off... Alcohol Ink works as far as resisting wear, but I tried with copics and the color is barely visible on the leather surface.

Edit: Or a wear-proof fixer that would work on top of the Acrylic or whatever. I've never worked with furniture before and don't know where to start :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 4, 2021