Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
12-1 with face hunter on the first night of the month to get to Gold 9, I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mcbexx posted:

It's funny how the only way to make Shaman remotely viable seems to be by giving him an ultra-aggro toolset (or straight up busted poo poo like Shudderwock).

Big Shaman was a pretty good deck in wild for a while but it was balanced too fairly to make it as a top tier deck.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The voice lines of the new heroes: https://outof.cards/hearthstone/331...restor-and-more

They’re still giving heroes Sorry emotes, wonder if they’ll ever put that back in or if it’s solely for the Noggenfogger Easter egg.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

RatHat posted:

The voice lines of the new heroes: https://outof.cards/hearthstone/331...restor-and-more

They’re still giving heroes Sorry emotes, wonder if they’ll ever put that back in or if it’s solely for the Noggenfogger Easter egg.

Well, I guess this is where the money I don't spend on the big preorder bundle will go this time. :negative:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Wild Painlock is going to be the best deck in the game even harder.

It'll activate Demon Seed absurdly fast.

Edit: Unlicensed Apothecary for reach and even quicker activation

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 2, 2021

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

added you

I’m CryHavoc#1694 if anyone wants more small indie company game friends

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally got around to doing the ??? achievement and holy poo poo these puzzles are convoluted. The clues for starting the puzzles are fine and make sense but the actual puzzles are really, really obtuse. I wanted to try to solve them myself but they don't even explain the rules. The Hunter one in particular is amazingly awful and some Chinese players had to write an algorithm to solve it.

Overall, cool concept but good god Blizzard. The Warrior one is really the only puzzle most players can solve on their own(if you figure out the rules), the Druid one is sort of possible to solve on your own but it'll take loving forever, and the Hunter and Rogue ones are nearly impossible. The cardback looks rad at least.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I have updated the FaceHunter and while it looks janky it's running really smooth now:

### Face3.0
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 1x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Demon Companion
# 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 2x (1) Wound Prey
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Kolkar Pack Runner
# 2x (2) Quick Shot
# 1x (2) Wriggling Horror
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 1x (4) Knife Vendor
# 2x (4) Piercing Shot
# 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
# 2x (4) Warsong Wrangler
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 2x (5) Trampling Rhino
#
AAECAairBAa04QOP4wPK4wPl7wPn8AOqnwQMorkD3MwDos4DgtADudIDhuID3OoDn+wD8OwD2+0DqZ8Eu6AEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RatHat posted:

Finally got around to doing the ??? achievement and holy poo poo these puzzles are convoluted. The clues for starting the puzzles are fine and make sense but the actual puzzles are really, really obtuse. I wanted to try to solve them myself but they don't even explain the rules. The Hunter one in particular is amazingly awful and some Chinese players had to write an algorithm to solve it.

Overall, cool concept but good god Blizzard. The Warrior one is really the only puzzle most players can solve on their own(if you figure out the rules), the Druid one is sort of possible to solve on your own but it'll take loving forever, and the Hunter and Rogue ones are nearly impossible. The cardback looks rad at least.

idk, it's not like they were _intended_ to be solved solo -- these ARG-style mystery puzzles have been intended to be discovered and figured out in big groups over a period of time ever since they started putting them into wow

if it was solvable quickly solo it ends up going over like a wet fart for the target audience of those mystery-solving communities

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Do we actually know when this next set releases? Or even when the next reveals will start?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Release is Augustish.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Is that a guess or do you have a source? My own speculation: the end of month rewards are for the next expansion so I expect it to release before then.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
In the absence of an announcement (which it sounds like we did not get) the last four years' summer releases were all in August - the 6th, 6th, 7th, and 10th going from 2020->2016.

edit: oh, it looks like the wiki says the 3rd, but... it points to the Blizzard HS site though and I cannot find a date publicized there, so maybe that's not 100%?

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 3, 2021

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

orangelex44 posted:

In the absence of an announcement (which it sounds like we did not get) the last four years' summer releases were all in August - the 6th, 6th, 7th, and 10th going from 2020->2016.

edit: oh, it looks like the wiki says the 3rd, but... it points to the Blizzard HS site though and I cannot find a date publicized there, so maybe that's not 100%?

I’ve heard the 3rd in the vS discord, so that’s probably when it is.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
The official post has a release date.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23689677/announcing-united-in-stormwind-hearthstone-s-latest-expansion

quote:

United in Stormwind will launch worldwide on August 3 with 135 new collectible cards! You can find the full schedule for card reveals, and see which cards were announced today, by visiting the card library, here. Check back frequently—the list will be updated with new cards as they’re revealed!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So on a score of 1-10, how broken is battlegrounds and why is it 10?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Because if they fixed it, we’d be calling out how hosed Standard is right now by comparison, so it has to stay poo poo so we don’t notice so much.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

H13 posted:

So on a score of 1-10, how broken is battlegrounds and why is it 10?

I had a game where quillboar, mech, and murloc were banned. Everyone went elementals. Like literally everyone.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only game I ever won was because I got to be C'thun, the first monster I picked was that pink guy that gets +2\2 for every demon in your hand, and then the game was nice enough to deal me nothing but demons.

I attempted the same trick another time, and never got a single demon.

Some heroes are RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, some are just utterly useless, combined with ridiculous RNG...

I do find the game mode quite fun, but man you can get absolutely hosed by RNG.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I was totally lost on BG until I watched some tournament that was casted on YT in January and listened to some people tell me what the hell was actually happening and then it made a bit more sense.

I'm still rear end at it, but at least I understand why I lose now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do you have a link to that or a similar cast b/c it still feels like a mess to me

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

flatluigi posted:

do you have a link to that or a similar cast b/c it still feels like a mess to me

This is actually a more recent one with Quillboar so maybe it'll help you out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwkQLzYhm4Y

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If anybody's interested I could stream next time I play BGs to explain how it all works.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

My usual BG strategy is

1 turn - aim for a unit that makes a token. Otherwise go best stats
2 turn - tier up
3 turn - sell a token and buy two minions. Still aim for best stats.
4 turn - buy two minions.
5 turn - buy a minion and tier up.

Tier 3 is where you might find some decent minions that can point you in a direction. Otherwise aim for economy based minions until you find a focus.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If you don't get a token turn 1 and don't roll into one by turn 3 (and you don't have a hero power that can make up for it) then you either sell your first minion and get two better ones, pick something (or try and roll into something) to go alongside your first minion or go for broke and sell your minion and go up to tier 3 very early (will cost you 5-7 health usually).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The two prevailing BG strats are:

• Sit on T4 hoovering up strong tempo units (divine shields, taunt comp) and tripling into 5s.
• Bust up to T6 very early with an econ hero and get direction/power there (specifically Kalecgos/Goldrinn/Eliza/Flattusk)

You almost never want to be sitting on T3 or T5. T3s are completely outclassed almost immediately, and T5s are generally things you need 1 of (Brann/Baron/Aggem/Lightfang/Hogger/Mythrax/Nomi), so you just triple into them. 5 and 6 have way more misses than hits, so you need to be targeting a big power/direction shift on 6 before you make the decision to leave 4.

There's also no "1 curve". There's the incredibly basic buy/level/buy/buy/level mentioned above, but it's also going to come down to what hero you have and how much economy (tokens/swabbies/etc.) you got.

Also, learning to not immediately smash your triples and to save them through strategic freezing and leveling so you triple into a 5/6 is really important and something new players almost always get wrong.

I'd be glad to help people work through their BG strats, even if I'm soured on the current meta, but it's not the sort of thing where you can just look at a final comp and evaluate, because there's like 500 decisions to make every lobby, and getting a couple wrong in the mid-game is the difference between going out in last and going out in first.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
As the Priest drops their 4th Gift of Luminance on their 5th Sethekk Veilweaver, I sit and contemplate the life decisions that brought me to this point

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Devo posted:

As the Priest drops their 4th Gift of Luminance on their 5th Sethekk Veilweaver, I sit and contemplate the life decisions that brought me to this point

You know what you did.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is what we deserve for mocking purify.........

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
BG above 5000 rank is extremely unfun. Everyone is going hard all of the time. It needs an unranked mode or something!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I broke 4000 which is I guess a rank floor and I've been stuck between that and 4100 for weeks now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sincere lmao if you’re not tanking your battlegrounds MMR so you can play fun games with different heroes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

skaboomizzy posted:

I broke 4000 which is I guess a rank floor and I've been stuck between that and 4100 for weeks now.

• From 2000 MMR to 6000 MMR, there's a visible MMR floor every 500 MR.
• You can't lose visible MMR below 2000.
• Hidden MMR is never floored or reset.
• An extra MMR boost is applied when your visible MMR after every game, regardless of result.

So, just playing a bunch will get you to 6500, pretty quickly.

Everything below 10k MMR is basically a free-for-all because people can party up. There's little practical difference between a 3000 MMR lobby and an 8000 MMR lobby.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sincere lmao if you’re not tanking your battlegrounds MMR so you can play fun games with different heroes

Every game you quit out of to tank your mmr to eventually give you a couple of "fun" games makes each of those games less fun for everyone else as there is an artificial ghost there, plus when you have your "fun" games you are playing against people less skilled than you, so grats for n00b stomping i guess?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Sometimes getting a 7 person lobby does make it more fun for others, since they can level faster

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gandlethorpe posted:

Sometimes getting a 7 person lobby does make it more fun for others, since they can level faster

7 player lobbies are lopsided as he'll because if you get the early ghost you can power level while the people doing well can't. Its an rear end in a top hat move to do it deliberately.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You’re playing games on the Internet in 2021. If there’s an exploitative, lovely, cheating or just plain arsehole way to do something in a game, even if it makes the experience negative for everyone including the user in the long run, not only is a huge number of people doing it, a number of people are monetising doing it in streams and advocating it to others.

(I mean, still, don’t do it, don’t contribute to the problem, but also you’re pissing in the ocean to keep back the tide.)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Pro tier BG strat: buy swabby T1 and don't play it

Got it? Neat looking forward to meeting you in the 6k dumpster bracket

Toshimo posted:

• Sit on T4 hoovering up strong tempo units (divine shields, taunt comp) and tripling into 5s.
lol yeah I think that's my most used style from understanding BG to now. Never stay on T3 if you can safely level

Toshimo posted:

I'd be glad to help people work through their BG strats, even if I'm soured on the current meta
I would say my biggest issue is that my overall play is very single-minded in the sense that I value getting or building towards stats above most other choices. Some form of menagerie is probably my most played comp followed by murlocs and elementals. I technically know that there are other comps to play like dragons or macaw+scam build of your choice but I just always fall back on the simple plan of getting a lot of stats and some poison and divine shields because it's easy and wins often. One of the issues I noticed in connection to that is that I just flail around and eventually die if I don't get offered units to build stats with or that form one of the common comps. Feels like I'm bad at recognizing units I should buy to carry me for a bit while I try to find a build. Though sometimes it also seems like the other players just get to buy all the good units while I roll through the scraps that nobody wants. Guess the gist is that I suck when I don't get into one of the lanes I'm already comfortable with

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
There’s a mechanical problem with the game there too - they can put cool Strats worth drafting in that aren’t Tribe related (anything Macaw is an example of this) but they’re by definition always more weak to the way the drafting works in BG - you can get just plowed by the game telling you to go gently caress yourself a few turns later.

They like the idea, obviously, they keep making them, but the basic system doesn’t actually support them over either STATS STATS STATS or the gimmick of one of the Tribe enablers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You also have 'viable' builds that require a ton of moving parts and can only be pulled off 1 in every 100 games if that (looking at you Beasts :argh:)