Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Apparently Soma is working on either a 55mm or 58mm Cazadero. Can’t wait to spend too much money on that beautiful grav grav tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Remove your leg hair to solve this problem in the future

Holla

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

:drat:
I had Schwalbe G-One Allrounds, and they were super fast on pavement, but the front would slide through turns in the loose stuff, and the rear would spin out trying to climb the steep stuff. I went full the other direction with WTB Resolute and they lock on to everything and are super confident and fun on gravel, but they are basically mountain bike tires on pavement.

Coming from mountain biking and trail riding, I love the WTB Resolute tires on my Disc Trucker on pavement and on gravel/dirt. But I don't have a road bike so I can't really compare them to full slicks.

Koth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 7, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Swapped the 165mm 105 crank and PM from the TT bike onto the cross bike and mounted up some chonker 38 shikoros yesterday and rode a bunch of new grav. Falling in love with the shikoro all over again, I always forget how nice that tire rides.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

shikoro when the sidewalls fail

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
piss tapewall is real

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Leg hair is armor againt gravel.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Noted something that could be decent gravel to ride about 2 miles from my house on GAIA GPS, and then saw Strava had a "Through the Quarry" segment, so I went exploring last night. I got 100 yards or so before being informed I was on private property, so I turned around and went looking elsewhere. After finding my way down some short dead ends I ended up on newer major road and just took that home. When I got back I checked my route on Strava and the "Through the Quarry" segment was that stretch of road I ended up on and the road I got turned around on was the route I had scoped out.

Really liked the feel of floating on that chunky gravel though. I haven't actually gotten to ride my bike off pavement much.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Swapped the 165mm 105 crank and PM from the TT bike onto the cross bike and mounted up some chonker 38 shikoros yesterday and rode a bunch of new grav. Falling in love with the shikoro all over again, I always forget how nice that tire rides.

i am going to buy this bicycle when you're done with it. it's my favorite

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hell yeah work sucks

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i am going to buy this bicycle when you're done with it. it's my favorite

:3:

it’s a good bichael, I want to get a walty ti frame with the same geo made someday

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Did a bit of driftless region gravel with some friends. That was a pretty great day. Closing in on 100°F by the time we finished.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I want to go ride the driftless region so bad

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Had a fairly muddy ride today, mostly nice gravel but some mucky farm tracks. A+ would recommend.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Important Safety Tip. If you get invited to a no drop, but decent pace gravel ride, don't show up on an enduro bike with 2.7" tires. The rest of us wanted to roll it pretty good and not wait around nearly as much as we did. At least you are a nice guy.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Got to ride with the Swift Industries crew through Forest Park, since they are in town for a couple weeks. You could definitely tell by the end who had fenders and who did not.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Biggus Duckus posted:

You could definitely tell by the end who had fenders and who did not.

lol good poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Biggus Duckus posted:

Got to ride with the Swift Industries crew through Forest Park, since they are in town for a couple weeks. You could definitely tell by the end who had fenders and who did not.

uh thanks for the invite :argh:

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

uh thanks for the invite :argh:

There's one spot left for the overnighter this weekend: https://swiftadventure.co/product-category/swiftatsnowpeak/

Or you can do your own route and meet up at the camp spot.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Biggus Duckus posted:

There's one spot left for the overnighter this weekend: https://swiftadventure.co/product-category/swiftatsnowpeak/

Or you can do your own route and meet up at the camp spot.

!! Wish I had known about this earlier

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thinking about hitting up the iron horse trail on monday but I don't have a strong headlight on my bike for the tunnel. is the light needed to see in the dark or just to see hikers or other cyclists?

can I get by with a headlamp?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

BraveUlysses posted:

thinking about hitting up the iron horse trail on monday but I don't have a strong headlight on my bike for the tunnel. is the light needed to see in the dark or just to see hikers or other cyclists?

can I get by with a headlamp?

You can survive with a headlamp but you'll go slower and probably not enjoy it as much. It's a long tunnel and it's absolutely pitch black in there.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It's definitely hella dark. If you only have a dim headlight you'll need to be quite cautious, as there are some surprising potholes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I rolled through the tunnel last week and it seems they did quite a bit of work on it. Floor was much smoother than in prior years

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I canonized this into the fenders section of the commuting thread.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Got a new bike, it's still not a gravel bike but it's slightly more gravel bike than the old one, what with it's more modern geometry and disc brakes and all. Haven't ridden it much but have done a few gravel rides and am racing it this weekend.

Today I went to the ski hill, which is close to me, and a good gravel ride, so I go up there a lot. If you bring a mountain bike there's a pretty good trail down the front, and then if you want you can ride all the way to the top of point 6 which is higher than the ski hill and has a doppler radar. Today I just went to TV mountain, which is not as high.

You can go out the back of the parking lot and get to a junction that lets you go down the next valley or around the back and to the top. On this part down below the back charilifts I always feel like I'm going to encounter a large animal and had my bell ringing and some music playing

Then you go up and it gets a little more open

It's the lowest one, but it's still 3500 vertical feet of climbing to get there and the road gets a bit steep in parts

Down at the bottom looking back up

a hot dad
Dec 2, 2018
This rules, I can feel the spirit of gravel moving in me. spoiled for choice around here (Otago NZ)

Anyone have opinions on the Marin Nicasio+ ? Seems like a solid entry level option. Alternate choice is to putz with a road frame at the community bike workshop but I think there'll be tire clearance issues.

a hot dad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 22, 2021

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

There a bunch of good reviews of the Nicasio Plus on YouTube, but I’ll plug the Path Less Pedaled review because Russ seems like a cool dude:

https://youtu.be/98h6_v9DCmA

Seems like a fun bike.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
9 hours, 100 miles. I finished my first race.

I am so sore. I'll probably swear off gravel for a bit. God help me if I've caught the racing itch, I did real poorly, but I finished.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The spirit was with me today

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gotta love rail trails

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Asking for a friend. Anyone have suggestions for a 650b x 38mm gravel tire? Apparently every single Rambler she's used has failed at the sidewall and I guess it's time for something different.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Crumps Brother posted:

Asking for a friend. Anyone have suggestions for a 650b x 38mm gravel tire? Apparently every single Rambler she's used has failed at the sidewall and I guess it's time for something different.

I really like my Schwalbe G-One tyres, they're the all-around ones. They wear quickly though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m doing a 500km/6,000m elevation race on gravel with a “majority of grade 1 roads with prolonged stretches of grade 2 and 3 and a few short sections of grade 4+”. I obviously don’t want to be undertired but I also don’t want to be rolling slow.

Right now I have Clement Xplor MSO 650x50s, or Rene Herse Babyshoe Pass Extralight 650x42s.

The Xplor is ~662g. The Babyshoe is ~373g.

I’m thinking the Xplor will give me more protection but obviously roll slower and the route has a decent amount of climbing.

I’m also open to another tire that is more robust than the Babyshoe but lighter than the Xplor. Any suggestions? They’d need to be 650b for my dynamo wheel.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I’m doing a 500km/6,000m elevation race on gravel with a “majority of grade 1 roads with prolonged stretches of grade 2 and 3 and a few short sections of grade 4+”. I obviously don’t want to be undertired but I also don’t want to be rolling slow.

Right now I have Clement Xplor MSO 650x50s, or Rene Herse Babyshoe Pass Extralight 650x42s.

The Xplor is ~662g. The Babyshoe is ~373g.

I’m thinking the Xplor will give me more protection but obviously roll slower and the route has a decent amount of climbing.

I’m also open to another tire that is more robust than the Babyshoe but lighter than the Xplor. Any suggestions? They’d need to be 650b for my dynamo wheel.
I ride with the Babyshoe Pass XLs tubeless and they've been solid for non-loose surfaces. They don't have sufficient tread for loose gravel on steep climbs but are great for bad tarmac, dirt roads and packed/pea gravel. I did have a front tire blow out which resulted in a nasty crash while descending on the road on tire with maybe 2,000 miles on it. Likely hit some kind of debris but not sure. I've ridden them on some chunky rocks and they didn't disintegrate but the grip isn't great on slick stuff. All that being said, I've never ridden anything else on that bike so can't compare to the Xplors.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
did gravel today

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

WTB Resolute in 650bx42 rolls pretty well on all surfaces. 450-550g depending on version. Tread looks similar to the X-Plor, bit more knobby.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

I’m now on my second set of Specialized Pathfinder Pros. First set was 42c and I’m now running the 38c as I wanted a bit less rotational weight.

They excel in pretty much anything that is dry - that’s why I moved to the 38c. I’ll switch to something meatier and with more tread for wet winter riding but they’re an ideal tire for dry conditions.

650b comes in at ~555g.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I really like my Schwalbe G-One tyres, they're the all-around ones. They wear quickly though.

They're not called the Gone for nothing.

I like panaracer GK slicks in 650b x 38mm sizeway. Not the best tire ever, but selection in that size is limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
She was telling me there just wasn't any other options available, but y'all are providing a bunch. Thanks! I passed along the info and we can see where it goes from there. Hopefully no more sidewall issues.