Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ive been to Third Planet loads of times and it sucks that the dude is being pelted by poo poo from the hotel but uhhhhh lmao maybe dont include a terribly drawn comic in your very professional legal documents my dude

yeah it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah I'm absolutely willing to believe that Crowne Plaza is being lovely here and not doing enough to stop guests but also lol c'mon man.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Big “no we don’t have room for a single shelf of women creators, we need this entire wall for Cyberfrog copies” vibe coming off of that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The comic is great, sorry yall are such bores.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

This.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Of course it is and they should do a limited print and give it to every customer that purchases like $5 or more for free. Slipping it randomly into your legal filing still isn't the best idea.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Who's got a good chili recipe they don't mind sharing? I'm looking to change things up from my usual this time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

mastajake posted:

Who's got a good chili recipe they don't mind sharing? I'm looking to change things up from my usual this time.

1 chuck roast, cubed 1"
1 onion
1 head of garlic
Beef stock
Bag of pasilla chilis
Bag of ancho chilis
Bag of cascabel chilis
1 tbsp Cumin
Salt

Grind the chilis until powdery fine, measure out 1 cup (or more) and set aside
Finely mince onion and as much garlic as you're comfortable with, saute until soft
Flour and brown meat in fat of your choice
Combine all of the above and add stock until the meat is just covered
Stir in cumin and salt
Bring it to a low simmer, cover and cook until the meat is falling apart

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 3, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Nans and Creepy Santa are the better cleaner safer uhhhhh other comic shop in that area anyways.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

mastajake posted:

I have made this one once or twice and it was very delicious.

Texas Beef Chili

Credits to Epicurious - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/our-favorite-texas-beef-chili-51249010

YIELD: Makes 6 to 8 servings, ACTIVE TIME: 1 Hour 15 Minutes, TOTAL TIME: 4 Hours 15 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

4 ounces dried ancho chiles (about 9 chiles)
2 ounces dried guajillo chiles (about 7 chiles)
2 ounces dried pasilla chiles (about 10 chiles)
2 ounces dried chipotle chiles (about 8 chiles)
8 to 12 dried chiles de árbol
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon honey
7 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
6 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons masa harina, recommended but optional (see Cooks' Note)
2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
Lime wedges, sour cream, chopped red or white onion, jalapeño, and/or cilantro, for serving

PREPARATION

Heat a large, dry skillet over high heat and toast peppers in batches, until browned in spots but not burned, 30 to 45 seconds per side. Toast garlic cloves in their skins in the same skillet, tossing, until browned in spots, about 3 minutes.

If chiles are dusty, rub them gently with a damp paper towel. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Place chiles de árbol in a small heatproof bowl. Place all other chiles in a large heatproof bowl. Pour very hot water over chiles until submerged and let soak for 45 minutes, placing a plate on top of chiles to keep them submerged if necessary

Peel garlic cloves and place cloves in blender. Add all the soaked chiles except for the chiles de árbol along with 4 cups of the soaking liquid. Add 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and honey. Purée until smooth. Taste and add chiles de árbol to your preference (start with 4 for mild or 6 for medium heat; add additional to taste if you would like more heat).

Strain the purée through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, using a rubber spatula to press the purée through. Set puree aside.

In a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of lard. Add 1/3 of the beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and lightly brown the meat, 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl, reserve, and repeat with remaining 2 batches of beef, seasoning each with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Lower the heat to medium and add 1 more tablespoon lard. Cook the onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt until soft, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add the chile purée and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until purée has lost its raw chile flavor, about 15 minutes. Add 4 cups broth, oregano, and the beef. Combine the masa harina with 2 cups water and add to the mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, until meat is tender and broth is thickened, about 3 hours.

Add sugar and vinegar 1 tablespoon at a time, tasting to see if the chili needs more. Add cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Allow the chili to sit at least an hour and up to overnight to allow the flavors to meld. Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, onion, jalapeño, and/or cilantro.

Cooks' Note:

Masa harina is a ground corn flour used for making corn tortillas, tamales, arepas, and other Latin American dishes. Find it in the Latin or international-foods section of the supermarket.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yall forget the beans

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

It's not strictly traditional but andouille and chorizo are both great in chili

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Pull up, thread!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Pull up, thread!

Please enjoy my favorite chili recipe which is equal measure canned corn and cereal milk, served over pasta

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You forgot the french onion soup mix

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

6 anchos, seeded and stemmed
2 pasilla, seeded and stemmed
2 costeños, seeded and stemmed
2 guajillos, seeded and stemmed
4 chiles de arbol
4 pieces bacon
4 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 large onion diced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup brewed coffee
1 bottle beer
2 cups water
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 chipotles in adobo
Salt
1/4 cup masa harina
1/3 Mexican hot chocolate tablet, grated
Instructions
Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos, and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.
Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble (Don’t worry if you opt to eat a slice—you deserve it!) and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3 tablespoons). In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in 2 batches.
Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, and mix in the coffee, the beer, water, bacon crumbles, cumin, cinnamon, clove, allspice, coriander, and cayenne. Add salt to taste and turn the heat up to high.
Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain and rinse, discarding the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.
When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).
After 5 hours, take a Mexican hot chocolate disc, and finely grate 1/3 of it into the pot. Scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.
Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. Taste and adjust seasonings.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think we’ve gotten all the cursed chilis out of the way

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Green beans?!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I really love the idea of cooking ground beef in a separate frying pan but not then cooking your vegetables in the rendered beef fat. Who needs that!

Chili is a one pot dish man!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

Green beans?!

This is what happens when chili and hotdish have a baby

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think we’ve gotten all the cursed chilis out of the way

not a fan of this tbh

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
McCormick spice packets? Poor fool, let me show you a real chef’s tiny McCormick spice jars with premade chili powder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think my favorite thing about that chili meme is that the dude gets snobby about a pre mixed seasoning pack and then uses a bunch of canned poo poo.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Just realized he wants you to use sugar and brown sugar... what da...

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Please enjoy my favorite chili recipe which is equal measure canned corn and cereal milk, served over pasta

What are you, Australian?

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2021

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

related - cornbread with actual kernels in it. Yea or nay?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

yall forget the beans

my man

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

it aint hard, you just heat it up

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

saintonan posted:

related - cornbread with actual kernels in it. Yea or nay?

Absolutely

Dry, sloppy, plain, corn, jalapeno, you name it it's all great

You really can't mess up an honest cornbread imo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

sweet cornbread though, that's no good

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Not a bad jumping off point for making your own chili: https://deadspin.com/how-to-make-chili-instead-of-just-arguing-about-it-all-1639775627

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You guys did not disappoint.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to shop more places that carry more than dried ancho/guajillo/arbol/chipotle peppers.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Anyone aware of any current COVID related eviction stuff that extends past August 1st in the state?

I've been in Austin Suburbia for about 3 years now and my landlord just gave me notice not to extend the lease anymore, 30 days notice, from what I understand he got 2 houses to rent and got destroyed on the deal since I was the only tenant in the past 5 years that was consistent with rent payment and as such never raised rent on me but he's selling the rental properties to offset losses he took from a non paying renter at the other house during covid.

I was planning to move West out to Henderson, NV this fall but this pushes up things a bit, the only issue is my pop is staying with me and is about to start the last phase of his cancer treatment here in austin [the prognosis is good we caught it early enough].

Fortunately we worked out a deal to extend the lease until my Dad wraps things up by sometime in September, in the meantime we're fixing up the house to make sure its in it's best condition when we move out [we took down all the pictures/paintings and patched and paint matched the walls and door trim where there was damage/wear.

So that's all good I guess, but in doing research there's isn't much to read online about lease extensions and such but I know in Nevada there's thousands of renters still being protected by the moratorium, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any ideas? The only stuff I could find is some stuff related to August 1st and if it was a "retaliatory" lease extension denial which isn't the case here.

We got stuff worked out over email but was just curious...

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I saw an order of magnitude more rebel flags in upstate NY than in Texas. Homegrown chuds have plenty of other flags, like the million variants of "COME AND TAKE IT"

On my recent trip, it was just nonstop Blue Lives Matter flags in Upstate New York. But I do wonder how many Trump flags are left in Corpus Christi, because that poo poo was everywhere last fall for obvious reasons.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Amarillo still has TONS of Trump flags and other stuff, and there's still a bunch of trucks that drive around with the Trump flag waving from the back.

No one so far beats the guy who just has "I EAT rear end" across the back of his truck, above his phone number.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom's neighbour in Lubbock had like six various Trump and NRA flags until Jan 6 and then switched back to the single US flag. Kinda heartwarming.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

But I do wonder how many Trump flags are left in Corpus Christi, because that poo poo was everywhere last fall for obvious reasons.

Almost no flags or signs in public that mention Trump directly. Those people are still around though, and next year will again be extra stupid.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you'd think they all die, but they keep moving here from devin nunes' district

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

i say swears online posted:

you'd think they all die, but they keep moving here from devin nunes' district

That part is always strange to me. Conservatives bleat all the time about how terrible it is that Californians are coming to Texas, but it's not progressives from the coast that are coming, it's all lovely Inland Empire refugees.