Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
The drummer from Superchunk is really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just gonna leave this here:

https://archive.org/details/ColumboTheHelterSkelterMurders

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kurt Vile interviewing J Mascis is going to need some moderation to keep the energy up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kaitlin (I think that's her name) is like a 10 times worse version of Kat.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
But it comes back around to being funny whereas Kat is just intensely boring. I had a good chuckle when Tom said that her friends told him that she actually loves the show and she sarcastically yelled “YEAH. I LOVE IT. IT’S MY FAVORITE THING.” There’s something that really tickles me about how he will just take a beating from her for a good 10 minutes before he finally hangs up on her

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

True.

Plus the call was worth it when Tom said "I think you're gonna be tonight's topic for some of our listeners."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This has to be Wurster in the beginning skit right? If it's not it's his voice twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0Sr8aJP8c

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ha pretty sure that's Tony Foresta.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

veni veni veni posted:

This has to be Wurster in the beginning skit right? If it's not it's his voice twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0Sr8aJP8c

It's the Wurster version of Kidz Bop All The Small Things

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
does anyone remember the toilet basketball call. i want to listen to it and google is turning up nothing. i know it was on the new version of the show but thats about it

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
https://twitter.com/annasmith451/status/1402477177128456194?s=21

well that's loving horrible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat, regardless of how I felt about her calls that’s horrible.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

RIP Cat, that's horrible. :(

Memorial fund if anyone wants to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cat-flynn-memorial-scholarship

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Binowru posted:

RIP Cat, that's horrible. :(

Memorial fund if anyone wants to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cat-flynn-memorial-scholarship

So heartbreaking. Thanks for this link.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't suppose there are any clips of her calls floating around?

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

Almost done with Tom’s book. It’s really good- for someone who talks three hours a week, he’s really kept a lot close to the vest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How did you get it already?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

How did you get it already?

Seems some pre-orders went out early https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/1405697085702246406

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It never ceases to make me laugh when someone mentions something like Huey Lewis and the News and it makes Tom go off on a disparaging tangent for a good few minutes before snapping back to the topic at hand.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

listening to tom on chapo tell this story about buying a switchblade with his friends at 14 and lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh Jesus I gotta check that out.That would be a great combo. Do they address how much he loves to (very jokingly) rag on them?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Oh Jesus I gotta check that out.That would be a great combo. Do they address how much he loves to (very jokingly) rag on them?

lol nah, they mostly talk about trump, billy crystal, megan mcardle, etc

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I want to hear mike lisk go on chapo and talk about how actually racial profiling is a good thing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tom was also really good on Stop Podcasting Yourself last week

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

inferis posted:

I want to hear mike lisk go on chapo and talk about how actually racial profiling is a good thing.

Lol that Tom sided with this guy versus Fred from Honolulu. Weird how even Aimee Mann don’t want nothing to do with Tom. 🤔

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mike is cool and Fred is a massive douche. He has some old guy opinions but racial profiling being good sure is a new one to me. What’s the context of that?

Also are you really surprised he sided with a guy who’s been his friend for twenty years over some caller? In regards to some dumb internet drama?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Fred from Honolulu is a massive clod

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Mike is cool and Fred is a massive douche. He has some old guy opinions but racial profiling being good sure is a new one to me. What’s the context of that?

It was some tweets about how terrorism is primarily committed by muslims and that it makes sense for tsa to be more suspicious of them

this wasn’t the recent incident, I think it was still a radio show and mike took a break from the show for a few episodes

I think the tweets were deleted but here’s a reference to something along those lines. I don’t really know the context of this one in particular

inferis fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 3, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that's a bad take, but at the same time like, it's a deleted tweet from a decade ago. What's the proper response to someone saying something dumb online? If my job security was based on all 15 years of posting on the forums I would be horrified.

Mike has been a cool and funny dude on the show since the early 2000s and a really important part of the show imo. He says some stupid poo poo online once in a while and should be met with being told that he's being stupid. People wanted him flayed alive for a lukewarm take. Fred threatens people with physical violence (that his fat little rear end is clearly not even capable of. Peak keyboard warrior) doxxes people, makes up heinous poo poo about people he doesn't like, and has somehow convinced himself he's the good guy. He's everything that is wrong with the "disagreeing with me is violence" crowd. Mike can be wrong about poo poo and also be a jerk, but peoples reaction to the whole thing was sort of repulsive and the way people were hi fiving each other and acting righteous as hell , over acting like complete bullies was just, yuck. Not talking about anyone here obviously. Just what I saw on FB and Twitter at the time.

Even saying Tom "sided" with Mike is way off. He told Mike to knock it off on air and then had him sit out of the show for a month. Seems like a perfectly appropriate response to me? Some people just didn't find anything short of public execution or Mike living in a cardboard box sufficient.

E:

Also, not related, but Mike is basically the last bastion of weirdness on the show now that it's online only. It's nothing but the most milquetoast callers these days sucking up to Tom. Mike is like the last person around who doesn't care if he gets on Toms nerves and just says weird poo poo all of the time. Half of the funniest moments on the show lately has been Mike saying something weird or gross or dumb and Tom reacting to it lol. I miss when the show was full of weirdos who would give Tom a hard time.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 3, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He’s said a lot of other poo poo I don’t care to dig up (most of which he deletes) but I saw them myself. It’s such a thing Tom has to make uneasy “jokes” about it. Mike sucks.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
mike is, if absolutely nothing else, extremely boring

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
he was very paternalistic during the run up to the election and he's got an attitude of being the smartest guy in the room

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I wasn’t even saying that to cancel mike, and it’s a long time ago, but when all that went down he never apologized or retracted his statement Tom made an announcement on the show that mikes views are not his or the show’a and mike deleted the tweets.

I think mike is very funny and he plays a great foil to Tom but he is old and has some terrible views. Like Jesus Christ he works at a place called ‘massa’s tavern”.

Anyway scharpling was incredible on chapo and I wish he would be on again. The chapo guys are very funny but next to Tom it really made it clear that tom is a professional comedy writer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

inferis posted:

I wasn’t even saying that to cancel mike, and it’s a long time ago, but when all that went down he never apologized or retracted his statement Tom made an announcement on the show that mikes views are not his or the show’a and mike deleted the tweets.

I think mike is very funny and he plays a great foil to Tom but he is old and has some terrible views. Like Jesus Christ he works at a place called ‘massa’s tavern”.

Anyway scharpling was incredible on chapo and I wish he would be on again. The chapo guys are very funny but next to Tom it really made it clear that tom is a professional comedy writer.

Massa is a fairly common Italian last name.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I don’t understand why that matters. More positively: I think Jon is groovey and i remember an interview where he says he goes to a yearly retreat where he does peyote and a shaman channels spirits. Bless him.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And holy poo poo are those chapo trap house guys annoying. Is that what the show is like?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

inferis posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply you were. There was a very vocal minority that was out for blood that I was referring to. Was just wondering what you thought should be done about an ancient tweet.

Tom, Jon, and Mike are all in their 50s. Even with Tom I think there was some whiplash when a huge influx of new, much younger fans poured in as a result of Tom's SU connection and they were all kind of different vibe from from the old crowd. He adjusted accordingly and ended up apologizing for a couple of things. I think it all feels pretty smooth now. Mike on the other hand just kept being Mike...because he's Mike. I wouldn't expect anything different. If he was dropping some really heinous stuff it would maybe give me more pause, but everything I see him do that makes people mad just gives me old' out of touch uncle vibes. That doesn't mean people shouldn't call him out for saying stupid poo poo. He puts himself out there and he should be able to take it. I just thought people acting like he was Harvey Wienstien because he made a dumb tweet most of our dads would make was wildly out of line and made me realize how bloodthirsty and insane the internet can be.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 4, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol “aw shucks that’s just vanilla racism we’re all accustomed to no biggie.”

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tom had to choose between Mike and the dog... and he chose Mike! What a cuckoo-head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

And holy poo poo are those chapo trap house guys annoying. Is that what the show is like?

Oh man, you didn't even get to hear Felix, unquestionably the most annoying, who was absent for some reason

If Tom continues his podcast tour I hope he makes it onto Doughboys