Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Slugworth posted:

The laser will come in handy so rarely that I feel compelled to tell you to spend that 200 bucks on literally anything else. It's not bad per se, it's just... 99 percent of the time, the best way to check if your cut is lined up will be to simply gently press the blade against the workpiece before cutting. I feel like even if I had a laser, it's how I would still make every cut, rather than trusting a laser.

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah my dude save 200 bones and skip the laser, you'll always be better off striking a pencil line and sneaking up on the perfect cut rather than trying to hit your line first try.

fair enough, I’ll get the 779 then. I got more important poo poo to spend that $200 on anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
The DWS780 has the kerf line shadow not the laser; whether or not that’s worth 20x:10bux: is another thing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lasers suck. Mine has the kerf shadow line thing and it does what laserz are supposed to do but actually does it well and I like it.

It’s not worth $200.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

oh right, that

I’m getting this one. the DeWalt DWS780. 15 amps, compound/dual miter, doesn’t come with a stand but I’ve already got a Ridgid miter saw stand that a bunch of goons itt recommended

lately we’ve been having some financial issues and I haven’t been able to afford a whole lot. like I couldn’t even afford a DWS779 which is literally the same saw minus the laser guide, despite it being $200 cheaper, but next week I’ll have enough cash to get either one so I’m getting the one with the laser guide cuz I hear it’s good and why the gently caress not :toot:

Give me $150 and I'll tape a laser pointer to your miter saw

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I have a laser on my Ryobi miter saw and it's helpful getting close, but I almost always check with the saw blade and sneak up on the fit if I'm doing stuff that requires any kind of precision.

Now, this past weekend when there was a heat index of 100 and I decided to build benches on the dock of the family river house? I used the hell out of that laser, because nothing had to match up perfectly. As long as I was within 1/4", everything was going to be just fine.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I also am in the boat of soon being able to get a saw I really want. I got the 10” Ryobi miter saw, next on my list is this table saw. Accepts a dado, reviews look good. If someone else has another that is similar, open to suggestions.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I also am in the boat of soon being able to get a saw I really want. I got the 10” Ryobi miter saw, next on my list is this table saw. Accepts a dado, reviews look good. If someone else has another that is similar, open to suggestions.

See if you can track down the 7491RS instead
A quick glance looks like they’re the same price (maybe even cheaper??) but the folding, rolling stand that the RS comes with is incredible.

E:
the X is $620 at Home Depot
the RS is $600 on Amazon and Lowe’s

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

snuffles posted:

The DWS780 has the kerf line shadow not the laser; whether or not that’s worth 20x:10bux: is another thing.

yeah this is what I meant. I forgot what it was called

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sockser posted:

See if you can track down the 7491RS instead
A quick glance looks like they’re the same price (maybe even cheaper??) but the folding, rolling stand that the RS comes with is incredible.

E:
the X is $620 at Home Depot
the RS is $600 on Amazon and Lowe’s

I’ll look out for it, thanks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

speaking of $200, is this a good belt sander?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-Amp-1-1-8-in-x-21-in-Corded-Belt-Sander-9031/203162054

I could use a sander that can squeeze into spaces ~3” wide

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-Amp-1-1-8-in-x-21-in-Corded-Belt-Sander-9031/203162054

It probably is but that style of belt sander is mostly for grinding metal and car bodywork and it might be great at sanding wood in tight spaces but it’s going to be terrible at sanding wood wood on flat surfaces

This is the best belt sander out there atm, but it’s also closer to $300 like the one you linked:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-11-Amp-4-in-x-24-in-Corded-Belt-Sander-with-Abrasive-Belt-80G-Belt-and-Dust-Bag-9403/203162056

You probably really don’t need that good of a belt sander and a 3” black and decker one for $50 will be fine for whatever it is you’re trying to do.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It probably is but that style of belt sander is mostly for grinding metal and car bodywork and it might be great at sanding wood in tight spaces but it’s going to be terrible at sanding wood wood on flat surfaces

This is the best belt sander out there atm, but it’s also closer to $300 like the one you linked:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-11-Amp-4-in-x-24-in-Corded-Belt-Sander-with-Abrasive-Belt-80G-Belt-and-Dust-Bag-9403/203162056

You probably really don’t need that good of a belt sander and a 3” black and decker one for $50 will be fine for whatever it is you’re trying to do.

yeah I’m thinking a sheet sander might work too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-7-Amp-10-in-Corded-1-3-Sheet-Finishing-Sander-BO3710/203231590

it’s a little wider than 3” but that’s fine for what I need

a $50 Black and Decker might work too

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 30, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Squeezing into spaces is not really specific. They demo it sanding a 2x4 plate in the corner where the stud meets it- a thing no one ever does or will do- not even the worst ocd. Don't buy it for sanding framing material, please.

There are triangular-head detail sanders like Ryobi for getting into tight spaces. I'm guessing that would probably fit your needs better.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Mambold posted:

There are triangular-head detail sanders like Ryobi for getting into tight spaces. I'm guessing that would probably fit your needs better.

I already have one of these and I like it a lot

and yes it’s a Ryobi ONE+

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I don’t care what color team you are on, get whatever inflator and deflator they have. It is quickly becoming one of my most used tools between play balls, car/bike tires, and most recently all the beach inflatables on our trip. I’m never gonna manually inflate a pool toy again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One with a high pressure AND high volume.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Verman posted:

One with a high pressure AND high volume.
:hmmyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

devmd01 posted:

I don’t care what color team you are on, get whatever inflator and deflator they have. It is quickly becoming one of my most used tools between play balls, car/bike tires, and most recently all the beach inflatables on our trip. I’m never gonna manually inflate a pool toy again.

I love mine. I use it on kids bikes, car tires, inflatable beds, narwhal sprinklers, whatever needs a good blowing.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
So Harbor Freight has a July 4th 10 percent off with no exclusions. I feel like the best bang for my buck would be a real air compressor. I have one of those tiny ~$60 pseudo-inflator ones from HF that is good enough for tires and stuff.

Which of the HF sub brands are the good ones for their air compressors? Barring that, anything else that comes up for an HF must-have?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Target Practice posted:

Harbor Freight...............a real air compressor.

lol

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Well yes, but I gotta work with what I got.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tater_salad posted:

I love mine. I use it on kids bikes, car tires, inflatable beds, narwhal sprinklers, whatever needs a good blowing.

Just don’t ever try to use it for a good sounding.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 3, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We're moving to a new house (whoo!) with a well and septic system. Where we're moving (North California coast), the power sometimes goes out for days. We need to buy and install a generator to keep the well, refrigerator, possible chest freezer, and house lights going. How do I figure out how to size a generator, and what are reliable brands?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're moving to a new house (whoo!) with a well and septic system. Where we're moving (North California coast), the power sometimes goes out for days. We need to buy and install a generator to keep the well, refrigerator, possible chest freezer, and house lights going. How do I figure out how to size a generator, and what are reliable brands?

Add up the watts you think you'll use then get something that's rated for twice that. Off the cuff, I'd say ~7500. Then shop around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thoughts on hedge trimmers? I don't want a pole-mounted one since I currently have a corded pole trimmer and I only had limited use for the extension at my old house. At my new house everything I would use it on has easy access and no need for longer reach than a handheld 24" trimmer.

I have both Ego 56V and Milwaukee M18 batteries. The Ego brushless trimmer seems like it might be a bit nicer / more powerful (claims up to 1" capacity) and it's cheaper, but the downside is the only Ego battery I own is a 7.5Ah monster that came with my mower. Certainly good for more runtime than I'll ever need, but it'll be heavy as hell.

The Milwaukee brushless trimmer costs more and is only rated for a 3/4" cut (which is probably still much larger than I'll ever use) but I should easily be able to trim everything I need to trim on one 6.0Ah battery, and I've got no shortage of 6+ Ah M18 packs.

If they were the same price I'd probably get the Milwaukee but I can't decide if spending more money to carry around less battery makes any sense.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Trip report on the 18" Ryobi Brushless chainsaw. Bucked up some free logs, it cut them easily to make blanks for woodturning. I did not die.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NomNomNom posted:

Trip report on the 18" Ryobi Brushless chainsaw. Bucked up some free logs, it cut them easily to make blanks for woodturning. I did not die.

I have the exact same one and I've used it successfully a few times now. I'm happy with it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Big topic. If you're powering a well pump it's probably hardwired to the panel and will need a transfer switch and subpanel to power your essential circuits, which means you can't just run extension cords and will need to have an electrician in.

We're in a similar situation and the well pump is the most critical. No hot showers, but at least we're not hauling water from the creek when the power's off. As Mr. Mambold said, 7500 watts is good enough. During an outage we run the generator twice a day - 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. That's enough to keep the toilets flushed, the animals watered, and the refrigerator and freezer cold.

For reliability I'd start by looking at Generac. A propane model with a big tank would be ideal - no futzing about with keeping gasoline fresh. Having said that we have a Champion Honda clone gasoline unit from Costco. Works fine so far. The Champion log splitter gets a lot more use and is still running reliably after 4 years so I'm hoping this trend continues.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This might be more expensive than you’re able to go, but have you considered installing a solar panel system, either as a primary or backup power source? I think the laws in California are cool with residential solar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

This might be more expensive than you’re able to go, but have you considered installing a solar panel system, either as a primary or backup power source? I think the laws in California are cool with residential solar.

Residential solar is extremely common in California, but you'd also need some means to store that power, and batteries are expensive. Either that, or you need to be able to do all of your power-consuming work during the day when the panels are generating. A solar array that's powerful enough to run a household is also going to be fairly large, which may or may not be an issue depending on your location and the shape of your house.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thoughts on hedge trimmers? [snip] The Ego brushless trimmer seems like it might be a bit nicer / more powerful (claims up to 1" capacity)
I have an Ego trimmer a 24" from 3 years ago so I don't think the exact model is made anymore but it did some great work for me keeping my 1.5 acres cleared on the bushes and hedgerow type stuff before I moved. I do have the 2.5AH battery and I don't think I ever had to recharge it in between jobs.

I guess if you think it'd be nice to have a small bit of extra power for your mower you could pick up a full kit instead of tool only but honestly the Milwaukee is probably fine enough, I looked at a bunch of reviews at the time and seem to remember Milwaukee being up there in the rankings.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Residential solar is extremely common in California, but you'd also need some means to store that power, and batteries are expensive. Either that, or you need to be able to do all of your power-consuming work during the day when the panels are generating. A solar array that's powerful enough to run a household is also going to be fairly large, which may or may not be an issue depending on your location and the shape of your house.
I want to put in solar eventually, but the storms that cause power outages tend to happen in the winter, when (I hope I hope I hope) it rains. I'm definitely going to be having an electrician in anyway, because there's a Zinsco subpanel (yikes); that may be a good opportunity to put in the needed subpanel for the key appliances.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 4, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Not to mention a solar panel system for an average-sized 1-floor house is something like $20K I think, at least in Texas. I’d love to have solar at my house, but that’s a steep rear end price that’d take awhile to pay for itself.

Unrelated: Is a DeWalt DWS780 miter saw worth the price for $450 instead of $600? Or is the kerf system not even worth another 50 bucks over the 779?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
let’s gently caress up some paint today :getin:

…just as soon as I go put on some jeans and long sleeves

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I ordered my table saw on Tuesday evening, anticipated arrival on Monday.

I got my table saw on Wednesday.

I now have a table saw :woop:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

KKKLIP ART posted:

I ordered my table saw on Tuesday evening, anticipated arrival on Monday.

I got my table saw on Wednesday.

I now have a table saw :woop:

Don't tease us like this. What model did you get?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Built a quick-detach inline filter/regulator for my hvlp spray gun. My big compressor has a regulator built in, but this lets me use it on any compressor to include my smaller more portable one.

E: got annoyed with the orientation and retaped and torqued until it was more in line.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 8, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Don't tease us like this. What model did you get?

I ended up doing the Dewalt DWE7491RS. 10 inch, accepts a dado with the correct throat plate, and the stand is pretty heavy duty and collapses and has big rubber wheels. I do t have a shop, only a small shed, so being able to get it in and out was a must.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

KKKLIP ART posted:

I ended up doing the Dewalt DWE7491RS. 10 inch, accepts a dado with the correct throat plate, and the stand is pretty heavy duty and collapses and has big rubber wheels. I do t have a shop, only a small shed, so being able to get it in and out was a must.

That's a good looking saw! Wheels on stands is an underrated feature in my opinion. I can't ever go back after getting a miter saw stand with wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Built a quick-detach inline filter/regulator for my hvlp spray gun. My big compressor has a regulator built in, but this lets me use it on any compressor to include my smaller more portable one.

E: got annoyed with the orientation and retaped and torqued until it was more in line.

How quickly does that run out of air?