Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabronie posted:

I wish my lot was a little bigger since my city ordinance can't gel with building duck hut or chicken coop. Ducks are supposed to be a non destructive pest eater like grubs and snails.

I don’t suppose that quail are an option.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t suppose that chickens are an option.

I would like to. I just looked at the ordinance that specifies distance away from property lines it needs to be and I have no back yard since I'm at the back of the lot. Chickens are allowed but up to 6. Maybe I could get a generous inspector or hide it if I get to the point of building a coop.

I've never owned chickens. I image they're best used to collect eggs and feeding them kitchen scraps for their fertilizer poop. It seems like chickens would destroy a garden if you invited them in there and ducks seem more interested in bugs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wrote “chickens” for some reason when I meant “quail”.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I wrote “chickens” for some reason when I meant “quail”.

Oh, yeah. That's a good idea.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My house generates a bit of waste water (baby bottle washing and condensate from a steam oven). What can I do with this in the garden? Or is this something I wouldn't want to reuse in the garden/landscaping?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Jabronie posted:

I would like to. I just looked at the ordinance that specifies distance away from property lines it needs to be and I have no back yard since I'm at the back of the lot. Chickens are allowed but up to 6. Maybe I could get a generous inspector or hide it if I get to the point of building a coop.

I've never owned chickens. I image they're best used to collect eggs and feeding them kitchen scraps for their fertilizer poop. It seems like chickens would destroy a garden if you invited them in there and ducks seem more interested in bugs.

Chickens will eat pests but they will eat everything else too. Then they'll dig up what they didn't like to create nice craters to dust bathe in.

Ducks will stamp on everything and then poop on the remains.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Shadowhand00 posted:

My house generates a bit of waste water (baby bottle washing and condensate from a steam oven). What can I do with this in the garden? Or is this something I wouldn't want to reuse in the garden/landscaping?

Does baby formula have some sugar in it? Beneficial bugs like ladybugs are attracted to sugar water and they eat aphids. You can use that water on your vegetables.

I can't think of any negatives to grey water unless it had oils in it. I'd pour it over a compost pile if I had concerns about what's in it.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
if I want to save my black krims from calcium deficiency I'll have to eat about two dozen eggs over the next week.

the things we do for love.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

boo boo bear posted:

if I want to save my black krims from calcium deficiency I'll have to eat about two dozen eggs over the next week.

the things we do for love.

top dress with bone meal and let waterings percolate it down?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Adding eggshells to the soil for calcium is a myth unless you're playing a really long game. Eggs take a long time to break down, to the point where I usually have to sift eggshells out of my finished compost and add them back in for the next batch.

If you're doing this because of blossom end rot then it's more likely that you've got either a moisture or a nutrient issue. In most cases, the problem isn't that there's not enough calcium in the soil, it's that the roots can't access it. Bone meal is definitely the better way to go if you really do have a calcium issue, though.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

could also just go whole hog and juice it up with calmag :shrug:

all my compost has a shitload of eggshells in it but I still add bonemeal for extra phosphate and readily available calcium

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

honestly I'm always pretty suspicious when people say they need calcium in tomatoes

usually the real issue is just that the soil is too moist/too dry or getting uneven amounts of water, so the roots can't access the calcium even if it's present and right there

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My garden is full of joro spiders again :argh:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Adding eggshells to the soil for calcium is a myth unless you're playing a really long game. Eggs take a long time to break down, to the point where I usually have to sift eggshells out of my finished compost and add them back in for the next batch.

If you're doing this because of blossom end rot then it's more likely that you've got either a moisture or a nutrient issue. In most cases, the problem isn't that there's not enough calcium in the soil, it's that the roots can't access it. Bone meal is definitely the better way to go if you really do have a calcium issue, though.

Would you ever use gypsum for calcium amendments? It's a lot cheaper than bone meal here but I've read it can wick away some minerals like iron and potassium. So far I've only used it to breakup clay soil to start my garden beds.

That reminds me I need some soil tests done.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Jabronie posted:

Would you ever use gypsum for calcium amendments? It's a lot cheaper than bone meal here but I've read it can wick away some minerals like iron and potassium. So far I've only used it to breakup clay soil to start my garden beds.

That reminds me I need some soil tests done.

calcium sulfate dihydrate is not going to release its calcium to the soil
you would be better off with a cal-nit supplement
https://www.yaracanada.ca/crop-nutrition/fertilizer-products/yaraliva/
50lbs will go a long way for ~60$

Seatbelts has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Jul 4, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is more landscaping than gardening but gently caress it, I'm proud and want to share.

Before:

After:

(Ignore the lawn, that's a fall problem.)

You seriously got a ton of work done here and you should be very proud of that! Are you considering any sort of vining flowers for those metal posts/trellises in your last picture?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
let my catnip go nuts this year and now i have a ton of bees all day every day

https://i.imgur.com/bTJzXJO.gifv

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Can bees get high

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

they're always buzzing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
:catdrugs:

The catnip and mint I repotted are doing better! The sprouts I kept are growing and there's even a new one coming up.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

How do i convince my tomatoes to start fruiting? I've been pruning back some of the new growth as they go (they're indeterminate varieties) and gonna give em some fertilizer tonight because they haven't had any since a couple months ago when they went into the ground. But a lot of the plants aren't doing much in the way of fruit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

How long since transplanting? Are the plants flowering and not setting fruit or are they not flowering at all? How hot is it?

If you've got flowers, then it's probably either a heat or pollination issue. Tomato plants can't really set fruit when it gets too hot (usually 95+), so if it's been super hot then you might have to wait. If not, you might just not have enough pollinators. You can pollinate tomato plants really easily by just giving the flower trusses a little shake when it's warm and dry.

No flowers could be a bunch of things, including too much nitrogen and not enough other nutrients in the soil.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

thalweg posted:

How do i convince my tomatoes to start fruiting? I've been pruning back some of the new growth as they go (they're indeterminate varieties) and gonna give em some fertilizer tonight because they haven't had any since a couple months ago when they went into the ground. But a lot of the plants aren't doing much in the way of fruit.

most plants trigger flowering from the light cycles (weed is 12/12) you could try putting something dark over them for a day but they might flip back if its still too early

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

How long since transplanting? Are the plants flowering and not setting fruit or are they not flowering at all? How hot is it?

If you've got flowers, then it's probably either a heat or pollination issue. Tomato plants can't really set fruit when it gets too hot (usually 95+), so if it's been super hot then you might have to wait. If not, you might just not have enough pollinators. You can pollinate tomato plants really easily by just giving the flower trusses a little shake when it's warm and dry.

No flowers could be a bunch of things, including too much nitrogen and not enough other nutrients in the soil.

We put them in the ground in early May, and there are flowers, just no fruit or maybe one tomato on many of the plants. A couple have done better and the tomatillos are going gangbusters with fruit though! This is in the PNW so aside from the Heat Dome From Hell it hasn't been too crazy hot. I will try giving the flowers a shake, thanks :)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

thalweg posted:

We put them in the ground in early May, and there are flowers, just no fruit or maybe one tomato on many of the plants. A couple have done better and the tomatillos are going gangbusters with fruit though! This is in the PNW so aside from the Heat Dome From Hell it hasn't been too crazy hot. I will try giving the flowers a shake, thanks :)

I’m in the PNW as well and you might also consider a fertilizer that is more weighted towards the potash and potassium end of the scale over nitrogen. Lots of “flower” or “veggie” or even “tomato” mixes lean this way. I’m having similar issues and tomorrow is fertilizer day so here goes nothing.

I will say though, my grape tomatoes are doing really well setting fruit.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the twenty or so tomato plants I started growing from assorted seeds in grocery tomatoes are all flowering here’s a close up of some fruit

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

moist turtleneck posted:

let my catnip go nuts this year and now i have a ton of bees all day every day

https://i.imgur.com/bTJzXJO.gifv

how do you keep cats from killing it?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

You seriously got a ton of work done here and you should be very proud of that! Are you considering any sort of vining flowers for those metal posts/trellises in your last picture?

Thanks! And yeah, all options are open. There's tons of vine plants all over that fence in the back but I would probably go for something prettier and less invasive. Any suggestions?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Marzzle posted:

how do you keep cats from killing it?

Cats are lazy so once they knocked down a couple branches they were content with the easy treats

Plus catnip has weed strength and does not care if it's growing sideways

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks! And yeah, all options are open. There's tons of vine plants all over that fence in the back but I would probably go for something prettier and less invasive. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind annuals, I've had a lot of fun with sweet peas this year. They come in tons of colors (and you have space to mix and match), many have a nice fragrance and they're just really playful. I have some this year that start out a bright maroon/purple and then fade to a periwinkle/teal.

If you'd prefer perennials, jasmine, clematis or honeysuckle immediately come to mind.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Salvor_Hardin posted:

im planning on building a fire pit chill area in my backyard surrounded by raised bed gardens and a circular arbor with kiwi vines on it... the vines and flowers look nice, plus you get to look at a bunch of hairy balls when they start to ripen

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Anyone have good hydrophonics supplies recs? I'm looking specifically at nutrients, ph balancers, and sanitizing supplies. Good cheap pH testers also welcome.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cucumbers and shishito peppers! I have cozumels as well but I’m waiting for some color on those before I pick them.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

tokin opposition posted:

Anyone have good hydrophonics supplies recs? I'm looking specifically at nutrients, ph balancers, and sanitizing supplies. Good cheap pH testers also welcome.

gen hydro liquid and powdered nutrients (and pH adjusts) are great and cheap. apera makes good inexpensive meters that are waterproof. meters that aren't waterproof are cheaper but you will probably destroy them because you're dunking it in water all the time. any peroxide cleaner should be good, a lot are marketed as veterinary cleaners but as long as it's just peroxide you don't have to worry about weirdness in a hydro system

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the birds are getting more tomatoes than i am

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

nets can prevent bird damage

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

moist turtleneck posted:

Cats are lazy so once they knocked down a couple branches they were content with the easy treats

Plus catnip has weed strength and does not care if it's growing sideways

They get too high to gently caress with the plant anymore.

Any tips on catnip growing? My pots haven't really done anything for a couple weeks and a lot of sprouts are dying. I figure they were overheating on the window sill so I put them on a chair under the window so they get plenty of light reflected down but are not roasting.

I water it every other day. I haven't put any fertilizer in there beyond what was in the potting soil.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Marzzle posted:

nets can prevent bird damage

the birds deserve a share imo

as long as i can still buy food, i will let the birds eat as much as they want. if i don't get any, i plant more next time. they need it more than i, a gross fat human who can order food delivered to my door

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Critters are cool but it'd be nice if my local rabbit would let the sunflowers grow.

A deterrent for birds getting at bright colored fruits is bagging them with a white color mesh bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Cucumbers and shishito peppers! I have cozumels as well but I’m waiting for some color on those before I pick them.

I'm jelly of your cukes because we've had cucumber beetles wreck our entire crop loving yet again

Luckily we had backups this time that we're just about to transplant into a bed that should hopefully be safe from the fuckers now that we're using the old cucumber bed as a honeypot trap