Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693442063118893089/860997298389909514/video0.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

ILL Machina posted:

Meme is good, but someone in the osha thread mentioned the spray is a heat shield for the workers in the boats.

Meme still works, the environmental impact of plastic waste and the shittiness of American power infrastructure are related but sperate issues from climate change! It's a hosed-by-capitalism variety pack!

And with one of them, the odds of consumer level decisions making a difference can be as high as "sometimes, maybe a little" instead of "basically never" like the others!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

"Ah yes, by being able to recognize patterns, we were able to see the small developments across the fossil record across various species and infer the process of evolution. Evolution itself granted us the ability to recognize it. Dunno why the DNA strand is horizontal in the last panel though...

awwwww sonuva bitch."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

wait, is texas not satire?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
As I understand it, it's more of a practical joke.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hollandia posted:

As I understand it, it's more of a practical joke.

The term "practical joke" sure does get misused a lot to describe things that are just plain cruel or actually dangerous

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the alamo gender reveal

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
cummies and take it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Ow, my brain

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Both of these things only exist in America.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No credit scores are a thing in the UK too, I would be rather surprised if they aren't a thing worldwide to some degree, as it's just a natural extension of how lending works with computerization making tracking a million factors much easier.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

what on earth

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
)(()
1 is active, 2 and 4 are paired and cancel out, so 3 is active
So it would reduce to )(, a palindrome

()()
1 and 2 are paired and cancel out, 3 and 4 are paired and cancel out, so you're left with nothing, which is not a palindrome

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

)(()

()()
1 and 2 are paired and cancel out, 3 and 4 are paired and cancel out, so you're left with nothing, which is not a palindrome

What is the name of this schema of pairing and such, I wanna look into it, it's cool

Also

quote:

)(, a palindrome

???? How is that a palindrome

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

)(()
Click out of 1, 2 is binding, nothing on 3, 4 is binding

I think my brain might be poisoned

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Palindromes are conceptually symmetrical, not necessarily visually symmetrical.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

)(()

()()

You're overthinking it.

)(() = ABBA = a palindrome

()() = BABA = not a palindrome

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or if you want, dbdb is not a palindrome, dbbd is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

( . )( . ) also not a palindrome

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

No credit scores are a thing in the UK too, I would be rather surprised if they aren't a thing worldwide to some degree, as it's just a natural extension of how lending works with computerization making tracking a million factors much easier.

Okay, I'll clarify a bit.

I don't know about UK specifically, but generally, in Europe, they keep track of any outstanding debts you might have, and you might end up on a list if you have a history of not paying off debts in time.

On the other hand, never borrowing money in the first place, not having a credit card, and instead paying your expenses directly with your bank card so you're never in debt, shows you're likely financially responsible, and you automatically have the equivalent of the highest possible credit score.

The governments generally consider borrowing money a perverse incentive and, at least here in the Netherlands, require any company that advertises with "buy x for 5 easy monthly payments" to put a clear warning in the ad saying that this will consist of a loan and that borrowing money costs money.

Being able to get a mortgage is based on a combination of having a stable income and how much money you got in your bank account. Proving you're bad with money because you get a credit for every little thing you buy instead of just *paying* for it is not part of the equation, like it is in America.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

)(()

()()

:eng99:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah we have the words "Credit score" or "credit history", but the US model is, to my knowledge, unique in its stupidity.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dikkfor posted:

()() = BABA = not a palindrome

BABA = YOU
YOU = not a palindrome

Yep, checks out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Long educational meme about veneral geology:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

nothing, which is not a palindrome

Nothing is a palindrome, it's the same forwards and backwards :mad:

Also, palindromes typically omit non-letter characters, e.g. "Madam, I'm Adam" is considered a palindrome despite the comma, apostrophe, and spaces. So both "()()" and ")(()" are equivalent to the empty string, so they're both palindromes, despite what horny swearengen says.

The exception is palindromic numbers, in which digits are considered instead of letters, as they are normally written in a particular base. Neither of the numbers given in the meme are base-10 palindromic numbers, because "0990" is really 990, which is not a palindrome. So the meme is wrong twice.

990 is a palindrome in dozenal (base 12), though. I checked 9090 up to base 60 and didn't find any palindromes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As a side note, I spent a little bit wondering why the example used "0990" instead of "ABBA", but then I realized it's a bit shifty

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Buncha nerd bait. You ain't a nerd, are ya boy?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Ocean released an album called Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic, and its closing track is indeed The Great Dying. It's good metal.

Maimai-Taxe:

Flesh Salad with Salad Cream

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
WORD OF POWER LEARNED - TIM

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ziv Zulander posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

I appreciate these. Also I poo poo all over the thread toilet. I'm so sorry. But I appreciate these.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Who What Now posted:

WORD OF POWER LEARNED - TIM

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Both of these things only exist in America.

what about that texas thats in france? i believe its called paris

paris, texas is the joke

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I dug this out of one of my old college hard drives and lost my poo poo all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs