Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

LODGE NORTH posted:

As far as usability goes, it's pretty much standard for me on a 2021 Pro. The only thing I, personally, have experienced not working or outright broken is the old Today View widgets being cut in half, but I don't ever really use those now with full widget support.

I’m not a widget guy, but they blew the hell out of my homescreen layout after the update. Apple helpfully adds a row to you Home Screen and for some reason threw a giant TV widget on my 2nd page. Not a fan of the Safari changes, and I’m still trying to figure out all the Magic Keyboard shortcuts- they’re really hamfisted in some places. Like when I’m typing this right now I see buttons to enable the software keyboard and dictation in the bottom center of the screen, but if I go to enter a new URL those options are smaller and in the lower right hand corner. I can’t remember who posted it after WWDC but they were dead on- browsers are basically a solved problem at this point, Apple is creating new ones.

One question for Magic Keyboard users- how the gently caress does spell check work? Mavis Beacon is my mortal enemy, but when I get the red underline and click it just turns red, if I right click/two finger click it highlights and gives me the usual right click options. How am I supposed to use this or am I just expected to delete and retype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I usually ask before I order, but I just ordered one of the new regular iPads to replace my aging Air 2. Any issues with it? The Air 2 was fine for what I use it for, watching movies and remote playing my PS5 and Xbox, but the battery is garbage now. Also, this new one does have spatial audio support correct?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I think spatial audio (if we are talking about music) is more about iOS version and what you use to listen With/on.

iPad should work fine ; especially a new one

From Toms Guide

quote:

Thankfully, Apple Music’s take on spatial audio is much more easygoing on which headphones you use. In fact, Apple has said that any headphones will work with spatial audio, not just AirPods. It doesn’t matter if they’re wired or wireless.

There’s still a slight benefit to using Apple’s own headphones or earbuds, as Apple Music will automatically play songs with spatial audio when a pair of AirPods is connected. Certain Beats headphones get this perk too, including the Beats X, Beats Flex and Powerbeats Pro. A full list is available on Apple’s support site.

For other headphones, you’ll need to enable it manually in Settings, by navigating to Music then setting Dolby Atmos to “Always On.”

You should also be able to get a more immersive effect from Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers, including some of the best soundbars. Apple also claims that spatial audio works with the built-in speakers on the iPhone XR or later (except the iPhone SE 2020), and most recent iPads, though for best results we’d recommend a pair of headphones or much more powerful Atmos speakers. The HomePod and HomePod mini work, too.

The catch is that while spatial audio offers a much wider choice of playback devices, source devices are essentially limited to Apple’s own hardware. That means the Apple Music app won’t include Dolby Atmos support on Android. Here are the source devices that Apple Music spatial audio plays nice with:

iPhones on iOS 14.6 or later
iPads on iOS 14.6 or later
Macs and MacBooks on macOS 11.4 or later
Apple TV 4K on tvOS 14.6 or later

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

stirlo posted:

I think spatial audio (if we are talking about music) is more about iOS version and what you use to listen With/on.

If you have AirPods Pro or Max iOS 15 gets you spatial stereo on every song, a simulated Atmos that in my opinion sounds better than a lot of the Atmos remixes. High bar to entry, but so far it’s the best feature from iPadOS 15.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/09/ios-15-spatialize-stereo-feature/

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

stirlo posted:

From Toms Guide

Is the video surround sound thing called something else? That’s what I was asking about, I know it works on my 12 Pro but not the Air 2.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

loudog999 posted:

Is the video surround sound thing called something else? That’s what I was asking about, I know it works on my 12 Pro but not the Air 2.

If they are both on the same iPadOS version it should. It’s device agnostic.

Edit: Did you enable it on the Air?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211775

jabro fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 4, 2021

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

jabro posted:

If they are both on the same iPadOS version it should. It’s device agnostic.

Edit: Did you enable it on the Air?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211775

I have the Air 2, that list has Air 3rd gen and up. I just checked again and when I should be able to turn spatial audio on while watching HBO Max, I just have the transparency option. I’m a little relieved because I would have felt like a real dummy if I just didn’t have it turned on this entire time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

loudog999 posted:

I have the Air 2, that list has Air 3rd gen and up. I just checked again and when I should be able to turn spatial audio on while watching HBO Max, I just have the transparency option. I’m a little relieved because I would have felt like a real dummy if I just didn’t have it turned on this entire time.

Ah gotcha. I glossed over the generation number. Sorry!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
My original question from the macOS thread:

I've been trying to take some screen recordings of an app and upload them to dropbox. A seemingly simple task that is proving extremely frustrating. The movies are quite large - exactly how large I only found out after uploading one or two to dropbox then on my Windows machine actually being able to see their file size. I installed a compression app but again - no where can I actually SEE the drat file sizes. I understand there is a Files app which does have an option to display full names and files sizes but apparently anything that goes into Photos can't be navigated to. Seriously?

Even worse, the ipad dropbox app files screen lists neither file size nor full names. So I'm stuck with a bunch of thumbnails that all look identical and no way to tell which is which.

-----------------

Update: I went into Photos and selected all my recordings and shared them to a folder On My Ipad. I was then able to go into the Files app and view the names and sizes. However, neither the compression app nor dropbox app provide access outside Photos so I'm screwed again!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Modern video codecs are already heavily compressed, you aren't going to gain anything by compressing them again.

If you need smaller files the only real option is to re-encode them to a lower resolution/framerate. There are apps that do that but I've never used any so can't make a recommendation.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That's not the issue. The natively recorded movies can most certainly be heavily compressed - I know this because of I've done just that.

The problem is I have no idea which are the original huge recordings and which are the compressed recordings because everything in iPad world is just loving thumbnails and they all look the same.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
In the files app, up at the top right between the new folder and select buttons there should be a little icon of four squares. Press that and you’ll get the option to display as a list and that list will include file sizes.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I think I need to start from first principles.

1. The Dropbox app only gives access to Photos
2. The compression app only gives access to Photos
3. The Files app does not give access to Photos.

I have a bunch of huge screen recordings sitting in Photos. I can go into the compression app and compress them, however, since Photos does not display any file info, I have no idea how effective the compression was, or even which are the compressed files. By extension, I have no idea which to select for Dropbox uploading.

I can't use the Files app to see their names/sizes because it doesn't access Photos (point #3).

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
This may be kind of a pain in the rear end because it creates duplicates (I think) of files that you're already saying are too big, but I just tested this for photos (not videos) and it worked:

In the Photos app, hit "Share" on your videos, in the list of actions there should be "Save to Files." (If it's not there, you may need to enable it from the "Edit Actions..." menu at the bottom of the Share pop-up.) Choose a place in the Files app to save it, and voila, it will make a copy in the files app that displays the file size. Mission...accomplished?

edit: re-reading your updating to your original post, it seems like you've tried this, but you're still having a problem because the compression app and Dropbox can't access anything but Photos. However, couldn't you just use this method to see the file size and then share the original (still in the Photos app) to Dropbox? Not sure if I'm totally understanding.

double-edit: I can save to Dropbox from the Files app using the same Share Action dialog. So I'm not sure what the hangup would be to this method, other than the aforementioned (but temporary) duplication of storage-consuming videos.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 15, 2021

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

After I saved to the Files app, I deleted the originals from Photos as I figured I wouldn't need them anymore.

The share-to-dropbox option has a file size limit, and even after compression, they were too big. So this forced me to use the app directly.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have a bunch of huge screen recordings sitting in Photos. I can go into the compression app and compress them, however, since Photos does not display any file info, I have no idea how effective the compression was, or even which are the compressed files. By extension, I have no idea which to select for Dropbox uploading.

I can't use the Files app to see their names/sizes because it doesn't access Photos (point #3).
Does the compression app tie into Shortcuts at all? It may be possibly to write a shortcut that lets you share from Photos into that app and save the compressed one to Dropbox in one action?

At the very least I can view file sizes of photos and videos with Shortcuts from the Photos app to one decimal place of a MB and then open up a Share Sheet, so that’s one way to distinguish which version of the video you’re trying to share each time?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 16, 2021

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sorry to double post, but this is a whole separate question.

Sometimes I’ll take my iPad case off and realise just how nice and lightweight these things are while caseless. Can anyone recommend an impossibly light and thin iPad Pro 10.5” case that ideally has some kind of screen cover that can be folded into a stand?

I’m currently using the thinnest cheap plastic one I could find which I think is a tad thinner than Apple’s own cases but just wondering if there’s any way to keep the lightness while also protecting the screen and being able to prop it up on a desk without a separate stand.

(Side question since these probably don’t exist, but if anyone makes huge-rear end controller mounts for iPads so that I can use it like a massive Switch through Steam Link that would be lovely too)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It sounds like you want a Smart Cover, which is made for exactly those reasons: keeping the iPad light but still covering the front and letting you prop it up.

And the fact that it’s magnetic means you can just remove/reattach it easily if you want to go even lighter.

I’ve always had an official Smart Cover for the all the iPads I’ve owned in addition to other cases for more “rugged” use cases and they’re really good.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Actually yeah a Smart Cover plus some kind of wrap for the back might actually be the way to go, plus a pouch for travelling.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd highly recommend a screen protector with smart cover unless you're only putting it down on immaculate surfaces.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The General posted:

I'd highly recommend a screen protector with smart cover unless you're only putting it down on immaculate surfaces.
Wait, I could the Smart Cover covered the screen and not the back?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wait, I could the Smart Cover covered the screen and not the back?

It does so I'm not sure what they are talking about.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I guess it could pick up crumbs and stuff when used as a stand and then scratch the display with them? If that's the case though they should try wiping their counters and tables more often.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Only takes once to get some damage if you're unlucky. Or you could wipe the table every time you put your iPad down.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do third party smart covers just not exist? I can only seem to find full case covers and the official Apple Smart Cover is like four times the price of any normal case I’ve ever seen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The magnetic part is either patented or difficult to manufacture so yeah, nearly all the 3rd party smart covers I’ve seen have the back part on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What am I going to hate about using my USB-C iPad air as an external display for a 2019 16" mbp

My wife has commandeered the office for the next two weeks, and with it, my monitor

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just saw how spaced out and how few icons the Home Screen is on iPadOS 15. Oh no :ohdear:

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So I'm going to grab the base model IPad and I'm wondering what's a good case for it? I don't really care about the ones that prop it up or have a cover for the screen. Just looking for something along the lines of the apple silicon case for the IPhone that wraps the back and has raised edges around the front to protect the screen.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm in the same boat for a 3rd gen 12.9 pro, I had a 10.5 in pro and I very much enjoyed using only a leather smart cover (got at a deep discount) and I want a similar vibe with the pro - I'm just wary of its structural integrity haha. I've heard of them becoming warped at the middle point where there's the gap in the construction. I'm also pretty sure my model is bowed the tiniest bit, but it's essentially unnoticeable unless you're scrutizing. Which I tend to do with expensive toys.

Am I being paranoid re: structural integrity? I also don't know if I want to invest in a smart keyboard... I have a decent laptop already. I will be going to school in the fall and I am tentatively planning on doing all my notetaking with the pro + pen.

I'm gonna comb through the thread a bit but if anyone has knowledge to drop I would appreciate it.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 21, 2021

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As someone who has just today gotten a Smart Cover at a deep discount (thanks eBay) do you just set the iPad screen/cover side down when leaving it on a desk and leave the back exposed or will the back not scratch that easily when placed on a desk over and over if set down screen facing upwards?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I would always place mine leather cover down - with just the back down, the camera bump wouldn't make it flush and also the metal doesn't feel/sound nice on some of the surfaces we have in the apartment.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m near tempted to see about little sticky soft pads that I could put at the top and bottom so I can set it down safely but without the weight and bulk of an actual case.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I have a stupid problem that google isn’t helping with, and I was hoping somebody here might know what to do. My split keyboard has decided to be in the middle of the loving screen for some reason, and I can’t for the life of me get it to go back to being docked. When I hold the keyboard button, all I get is “dock and merge,” but when I do that and try to split it again, it jumps right back up to the middle. I hate this. If I try to drag it down to the bottom, it auto-merges, but splitting it again just makes it go to the middle.

What am I missing here?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Real Mean Queen posted:

I have a stupid problem that google isn’t helping with, and I was hoping somebody here might know what to do. My split keyboard has decided to be in the middle of the loving screen for some reason, and I can’t for the life of me get it to go back to being docked. When I hold the keyboard button, all I get is “dock and merge,” but when I do that and try to split it again, it jumps right back up to the middle. I hate this. If I try to drag it down to the bottom, it auto-merges, but splitting it again just makes it go to the middle.

What am I missing here?
If you long press the keyboard icon on the bottom right, do any of those options do anything?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m hoping to get some “it depends” advice from y’all, since YouTube and review sites have been pretty worthless in terms of choosing between the 11 and 12.9” model. I have (and am currently typing on) a 10.5 from 2017 that I’ve really liked, but any time I buy portable computers I always end up agonizing over screen size.

I’ve got two use cases for the iPad. The first is as a bigger-than-a-phone screen to do light work in the evenings (basically Gsuite stuff), read ebooks/PDFs, use it in the kitchen for recipes while cooking, and so on. The second is as a laptop replacement when traveling or douchebagging it up at a coffee shop, so more Gsuite work, emails, teleconferencing, and light media consumption on lovely hotel WiFi. The 10.5” has been great for this. My only beef is the keyboard width is a little cumbersome with my relatively big hands. But the idea of lugging around something much bigger seems like it’d introduce different problems.

I have a 15” MBP from 2019 that I leave pretty much perma-docked as my main work machine, so this isn’t going to be my main work station, more of an auxiliary for when I’m not at my desk. I’m planning on the Magic Keyboard but not the pencil. I don’t do video or photo editing.

Writing this all out, I’m leaning toward the 11” but want to make sure I’m not missing anything glaring outside of the better screen on the 12.9”.

Does the extra size widen the keyboard significantly? It seems like a big expense just for a bit more hand comfort.

I guess my other question with the screen size difference is multitasking viability. I don’t love iPad OS’s multitasking in general, but I would in theory like to make use of the side by side multitasking I’ve seen. Has anyone made use of that on the 11” with good results? Seems like that would be a difference maker if it’s substantially more usable on the 12.9”.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Depending on where you’re buying from and what their return policy is I would start at the smaller one and go from there. Sounds like the 11” will suit your needs just fine.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My plan is to grab it off apple.com, and IIRC you get 2 weeks no questions asked, correct? I did a similar swap on the MBP when I got it.

Thanks for the perspective/reminder. Probably gonna go with the 11” and see how it goes!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m hoping to get some “it depends” advice from y’all, since YouTube and review sites have been pretty worthless in terms of choosing between the 11 and 12.9” model. I have (and am currently typing on) a 10.5 from 2017 that I’ve really liked, but any time I buy portable computers I always end up agonizing over screen size.

I’ve got two use cases for the iPad. The first is as a bigger-than-a-phone screen to do light work in the evenings (basically Gsuite stuff), read ebooks/PDFs, use it in the kitchen for recipes while cooking, and so on. The second is as a laptop replacement when traveling or douchebagging it up at a coffee shop, so more Gsuite work, emails, teleconferencing, and light media consumption on lovely hotel WiFi. The 10.5” has been great for this. My only beef is the keyboard width is a little cumbersome with my relatively big hands. But the idea of lugging around something much bigger seems like it’d introduce different problems.

I have a 15” MBP from 2019 that I leave pretty much perma-docked as my main work machine, so this isn’t going to be my main work station, more of an auxiliary for when I’m not at my desk. I’m planning on the Magic Keyboard but not the pencil. I don’t do video or photo editing.

Writing this all out, I’m leaning toward the 11” but want to make sure I’m not missing anything glaring outside of the better screen on the 12.9”.

Does the extra size widen the keyboard significantly? It seems like a big expense just for a bit more hand comfort.

I guess my other question with the screen size difference is multitasking viability. I don’t love iPad OS’s multitasking in general, but I would in theory like to make use of the side by side multitasking I’ve seen. Has anyone made use of that on the 11” with good results? Seems like that would be a difference maker if it’s substantially more usable on the 12.9”.

I have the 10.5, and for multi tasking , for iPad in general, I find split screen to be not that useful. It’s really mostly one app at a time.

But! That said what is super useful is slide over. Especially for chat and messaging apps, being able to be reading whatever I’m reading, and swipe from the right to see a screen of messages , works great.

Note: mileage will vary on this. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Duckman2008 posted:

I have the 10.5, and for multi tasking , for iPad in general, I find split screen to be not that useful. It’s really mostly one app at a time.

But! That said what is super useful is slide over. Especially for chat and messaging apps, being able to be reading whatever I’m reading, and swipe from the right to see a screen of messages , works great.

Note: mileage will vary on this. A lot.

Totally aside, but how do you pull over apps that aren’t safari from slide over? What you described sounds great.