Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone gotten their teeth whitened? How did you do it and what would you recommend, ie buy strips at the pharmacy or go to a dentist

I tried it with strips years ago and had to stop using them because I would start to feel shooting pain. So I'm wondering if going to a dentist for this is better in terms of the pain (or worse!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has anyone gotten their teeth whitened? How did you do it and what would you recommend, ie buy strips at the pharmacy or go to a dentist

I tried it with strips years ago and had to stop using them because I would start to feel shooting pain. So I'm wondering if going to a dentist for this is better in terms of the pain (or worse!)

I have a dead front tooth because of trauma, which is gradually getting darker. Whitening this tooth is apparently not straightforward at all, and there are a lot of factors to consider both in regard to cost and to success.
What this tells me is that you should talk to your dentist to find out why your teeth are discolored, which procedures can be done at what cost, and what you can expect as a result.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

What's the done thing these days for giving money as a wedding present? Assuming there are no specific directions given for it.

ETA: Also assume a society where cheques are considered very archaic and basically don't exist for people under the age of 70, and EFT is free and easy (although seems like a weird way to give a wedding present?)

Last wedding I went to I just got some money out of an ATM and put it in the card I gave them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
How far away should I be able to see a firework show? Our city is doing it in a very inconvenient place this year and I want to know how far away I can be from that trafficgddon and still see them.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

How far away should I be able to see a firework show? Our city is doing it in a very inconvenient place this year and I want to know how far away I can be from that trafficgddon and still see them.

Obstacles are going to be your biggest concern rather than distance. Light travels a long way and fast for some reason that science can't explain.

One obstacle that you may not consider is the smoke generated by the fireworks so try not to be down wind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s all trigonometry. You can see them from a long way away if you’re up high and there’s nothing in the way, but they might be so small that you wish you were closer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj2Vv7M6Aus

Incidentally, a calculation for a featureless spherical Earth puts twenty miles or thirty kilmetres as about the limit at which the smallest commercial airbursts are fully visible.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

tuyop posted:

You probably shouldn’t use dryer sheets. They’re a scourge upon the environment, just hang your synthetics.

I read the other day that cheap dryer sheets can leave oily spots on your clothes. Which finally explains this period of time where my clothing kept coming out spotted and I could never figure out what was causing it :argh:

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
What's a legit, cheap website to buy prescription glasses? I have my IPD measurements finally.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I used to use Warby Parker but I feel like they went to a cheaper grade of lens a couple of years ago, my last two pairs scratched so much more than the first couple I ordered from them.

My most recent pairs are from Zenni and they're great, though I will say that their ultra-cheap frames are in fact cheap as hell. Go for their $30+ frames. I got one pair with their $8 or $10 frames and they feel like something a kid would get in a (cheap) Harry Potter Halloween costume. The other pair I got are fantastic.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Only bad thing about Zenni is how small their frames are. If youre a guy with a normal head you're limited to their larger stock, and if you have a large noggin you need to shop elsewhere.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lucky for me I have that narrow Ethan Hawke / Aidan Quinn head shape 😎

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I have also used Zenni a handful of times (as a small cis woman) and cosign going for their $30+ options. I have a pair that were like $10 before my prescription was added and they really do feel like dollar store quality :sweatdrop: I should note that they don't *look* cheap, but they absolutely feel it. They also tend to do holiday coupon codes, which are worth waiting for if you're grabbing more than a few pairs at a time

Edit: I should probably note my cheap frames were plastic ones, don't have any experience with their metal pairs

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 2, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I get all my glasses from Zenni now, and I love them.

I've been using their $9.95 wire frames for years(#416311, specifically) and they've held up great. They don't feel any cheaper than any of the $100+ plus frames I got from Eyemasters/Lenscrafters/etc in the past, and they've survived all kinds of abuse.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I had ok luck with warby Parker, but after about a year they were starting to feel pretty flimsy and worn out. I got a deal on a pair of ray bans for 50% so it was reasonable-ish and 1.5-2ish years later they're still solid af and the lenses are holding up great through daily wear. I feel like glasses are something I don't wanna cheap out on if I don't have to.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Only bad thing about Zenni is how small their frames are. If youre a guy with a normal head you're limited to their larger stock, and if you have a large noggin you need to shop elsewhere.

I'll second this, I have a large to extra-large melon and the one pair of their glasses I got flat out doesn't fit me.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I have also bought (and still wear) glasses from Zenni, but I'm not that impressed with their frames. One pair seemed to fit but left a sore where it touched my nose. They're also incidentally the only brand of frames that the employees at my university's student eye center absolutely refuse to adjust because they think they're so low quality.

As a person with an extremely small face who otherwise usually has to wear kid's glasses, I really appreciate the small sizing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Inceltown posted:

Obstacles are going to be your biggest concern rather than distance. Light travels a long way and fast for some reason that science can't explain.

One obstacle that you may not consider is the smoke generated by the fireworks so try not to be down wind.

Right, I'm just wondering from how far it'll be a decent view. I know I can see something (barring trees) from a pretty long way away. There's a place a mile from where they're setting them off that I'd like to go but I'm not sure how good it'll look.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jayne Doe posted:

I have also bought (and still wear) glasses from Zenni, but I'm not that impressed with their frames. One pair seemed to fit but left a sore where it touched my nose. They're also incidentally the only brand of frames that the employees at my university's student eye center absolutely refuse to adjust because they think they're so low quality.

As a person with an extremely small face who otherwise usually has to wear kid's glasses, I really appreciate the small sizing.
i've been happy with the frames i got from zenni, they seem really durable. once, i got really high and fell directly on my face. the lenses cut gouges under my eyes that took a couple weeks to fully heal, but the frames and lenses are completely fine. here's the ones i have, my head is 23.25" in circumference and they fit fine.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Right, I'm just wondering from how far it'll be a decent view. I know I can see something (barring trees) from a pretty long way away. There's a place a mile from where they're setting them off that I'd like to go but I'm not sure how good it'll look.
A mile is perfectly good for a fireworks show.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there anywhere that does retrospective reviews of entire TV series? Like I can read individual episode reviews for lots of shows on now but if I wanted to read a review of Game of Thrones as a TV show, where could I do that?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
This a borderline :filez: question. Is there a way to spoof an education account/sheer ID to get that sweet discount for Google/Adobe services? I know someone who works in education but haven't spoken to them pre-pandemic, so I don't want my first interaction/reconnection to be like "hey, can you get me a discount?!?!"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm visiting family, and they have a Sony surround sound system. The center speaker constantly makes this very high-pitched sound, probably at least 15 kHz because the older folks can't hear it. How can I figure out how to make it stop (preferably without just unplugging it)?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If I had to guess, the volume or gain are turned up to max, or there’s some poorly insulated wiring that’s running too close to something that generates interference. Microwaves are the classic culprit but any other electronic gadget could conceivably do it.

E: some leds can also make a low whine, if there’s a tv try powering it off.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 3, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
As far as I can tell it happens even if the TV and the receiver are off.

Edit: apparently it's not the speaker. I unplugged that and still heard the sound, ugh.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 3, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Time to check every power brick.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Finally found it. It's an Insignia DAC. Does that whine mean it's dying, or just that it's cheap?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DildenAnders posted:

What's a legit, cheap website to buy prescription glasses? I have my IPD measurements finally.

My sister got a few pairs of glasses from eyebuydirect and they seem to be alright. Very inexpensive, and they let you ship the glasses back for a full refund if they don't fit properly or you just don't like the way they look.
I got a pair there and the frame was only like $20, but my prescription is all hosed up due to astigmatism so the lenses were still ~$90+.... not really worth it for me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

As the afternoon wears on, at what elevation angle of the Sun in the sky does sunscreen start to become unnecessary?

I'm looking for an angle instead of a time of day since, say, "4pm" would mean very different sun conditions depending on time of year. At what angle is the sun filtered through enough atmosphere that most of the UV is gone?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Powered Descent posted:

As the afternoon wears on, at what elevation angle of the Sun in the sky does sunscreen start to become unnecessary?

I'm looking for an angle instead of a time of day since, say, "4pm" would mean very different sun conditions depending on time of year. At what angle is the sun filtered through enough atmosphere that most of the UV is gone?

A rule of thumb I know is when your shadow is taller than you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

This is more or less what the UV index is for, but it has to include elevation, humidity, and other atmospheric conditions to give an accurate result.

e: Working backwards for New York City, UV index is 3 at about thirty‐five degrees, on a clear day.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 3, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

A rule of thumb I know is when your shadow is taller than you.

How does the giant hole in the ozone layer over the Southern Hemisphere affect this? Asking for a friend :australia:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

How does the giant hole in the ozone layer over the Southern Hemisphere affect this? Asking for a friend :australia:

Just go with what times the Bureau of Meteorology says. The forecast includes what times sun protection is recommended. It's in the forecast on the mobile app. I'd post a screenshot, but of course it just says "sun protection not recommended" at this time of year.

No idea about in the USA, though.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 4, 2021

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
So Hurricane Elsa has been downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm. What does this mean for a flight leaving from Melbourne, Florida on Wednesday? Would it be a really long delay?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
In all likelihood yes. If the storm hits relatively close to there the flights will be grounded due to the wind/rain. Tropical storms are still dangerous, and will dump a bunch of water on the area. Here in nola with claudette (forget if it actually got named) most recently we saw about 6 inches of rain. 30 miles to the east of us got absolutely crushed.

Anticipate flights to straight up be canceled and afterwards they'll try to run everyone through as quickly as possible.

Edit: even with that amount of rain/wind flights were canceled for a day.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 4, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Tropical storms contain around as much energy as nuclear bombs, and even the planes we designed to fly into them crashed with alarming regularity. You don't want to be flying in one of them.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hooah posted:

Finally found it. It's an Insignia DAC. Does that whine mean it's dying, or just that it's cheap?

Those two options are in no way mutually exclusive, and Insignia is the Best Buy house brand, so it's at least the latter.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's Fourth of July today which means across the US people will be enjoying legal and illegal fireworks tonight

to me, Fourth of July and New Year's Eve are the two big Fireworks Holidays here, what are holidays commonly associated with fireworks in other countries?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Badger of Basra posted:

it's Fourth of July today which means across the US people will be enjoying legal and illegal fireworks tonight

to me, Fourth of July and New Year's Eve are the two big Fireworks Holidays here, what are holidays commonly associated with fireworks in other countries?

Guy Fawkes Night, the 5th of November, in the UK. In Australia it's really just NYE.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

mycelia posted:

Guy Fawkes Night, the 5th of November, in the UK. In Australia it's really just NYE.

Well, and 26 January which is currently a public holiday full of fireworks despite being the anniversary of the arrival of the first fleet and therefore the start of the genocide of the Indigenous population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Organza Quiz posted:

Well, and 26 January which is currently a public holiday full of fireworks despite being the anniversary of the arrival of the first fleet and therefore the start of the genocide of the Indigenous population.

Only been away five years and I forgot that was even a thing. Goes to show how much significance it had to me, I suppose :v: