Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That would be sweet, make it more like Old Republic. I’d think about rolling a new alt for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Fried Sushi posted:

Wonder if Shadowfax means you can level just doing the main story, would still take 3 months with 2 months of that being traveling from quest giver to quest giver but still would be pretty cool to just be able to do the Epic quests.

This is genuinely all I want. If that proves to be true I'll give them a sub.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cutedge posted:

People are mad that -60% xp is still too fast? Man, what do they want? That's probably slower than retail was in 2007.

I want to know what these people do that they have enough free time to declare "yes I want to add literally dozens of hours of grinding to collect bear asses for random npcs to my gameplay."

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to know what these people do that they have enough free time to declare "yes I want to add literally dozens of hours of grinding to collect bear asses for random npcs to my gameplay."

I think the point might be more that everyone has to stay within certain level ranges for longer, so could be more likely to see things like running dungeons. Instead of a beeline for endgame, the people who go for that server are probably hoping for clumps of people to be in each range, at least for a while.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
wouldn't it be easier to just write a level sync and roulette feature for older dungeons with daily rewards instead of releasing a progression server

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Level Sync and roulette is probably way more complicated, don't think LOTRO has anything even remotely like that right now. These Legendary servers are essentially just live server code with adjusted xp rates and expansion areas locked off, doesn't seem very complicated. If they were actually classic servers, ie the game at the state it was when it released, yeah that would probably take enough work that a level sync and roulette system would probably be better worth the time invested.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have no up to date context as to how these xp rates work in practice. I like that Treebeard has delayed expansions, but if the xp rate is lower than even at release (which I was there for and was mostly fine), I feel like I'm gonna fall behind on content and make it up with raw mob farming, which you pretty much have to be EQ or Diablo 2 for me to care about that again.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I assume that they intend for you to make it up by running skirmishes and dungeons. Personally I can't stand skirmishes and LFF frightens/repulses me. Maybe with a brand new server there's a chance people will actually use the instance finder (lol no of course they won't).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Anyway for all the time we spend complaining about this game videos like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ75ZQtIoms do a great job of reminding me just how impressive an accomplishment the creation of such a massive world really is.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So I haven't played this game since launch - is there a specific class that's fun to play, good for solo and is also much desired in groups? I'm tempted to just go hunter since it has some great travel abilities, but it looks like there are approximately 1,000,000 hunters running around.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I liked wardens when I played them forever ago

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can easily solo with anyone except a burglar. You can solo with a burglar, it's just not as easy.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
So I'm level 28 and currently in North Downs. Seems like I won't get any more quests for the time being? Is this basically the end of f2p mode? Do I need to buy several quest packs on the way 'til the expansions hit, or what?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zam Wesell posted:

So I'm level 28 and currently in North Downs. Seems like I won't get any more quests for the time being? Is this basically the end of f2p mode? Do I need to buy several quest packs on the way 'til the expansions hit, or what?

What level were you when you started the zone? If you enter at the appropriate level (24-25) the zone should easily last you until at least level 30, probably longer. Maybe you missed a breadcrumb quest somewhere? Also, North Downs isn't F2P so if you're questing there I'm assuming you bought the quest pack.

If you didn't get all the quest packs for free last summer, then yeah, you're going to need to shell out for at least 1-2 of them before you hit Moria. You already bought North Downs, so Evendim would probably be my choice to go from there. If you do all the sidequests in that zone. it'll probably last you past level 40.

If you don't have enough points yet and don't mind buying codes from other sites, get the Steely Dawn Pack for $5 or so. You'll get the Evendim quest pack, some cosmetic armor, XP boosts and 500 LotRO points.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Cheers. Well, I haven't bought the North Downs pack, but I'm questing there atm as a part of the main quest. That seems to probably be f2p all the way, I'm assuming. :)

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I don't know which regions are free to play for new accounts, but I went from there to Evendim and had plenty of quests to work my way from 30-42. I started around Oatbarton at 30 thinking I'd use my LOTRO points to unlock Forochel or Misty Mountains, but ended up using it on a crafting quest pack instead. Maybe that's an option?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types#Account_type_comparison_table

Accounts without a current subscription only get all the side quests in the three starter zones and Lone Lands, unless they buy the quest packs for other zones.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
The monetization of this game is confounding

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tabletops posted:

The monetization of this game is confounding

In what way?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I'd say that it's less than it's confounding and more that it sucks. There's way too much crap on the store, there's too many ways they try to nickle and dime you. Then again you can earn LOTRO points I guess? It's not the greatest layout especially when you compare it to things like Star Trek Online or Neverwinter where the content is all free and they just try to get you when you get to the endgame. LOTRO, however, also does that with LIs. So it's less than optimal.

My $200 lifetime sub to that game remains one of the best deals I've ever done

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, it’s not great imo. Good luck trying to get quests packs and expansions through grinding deeds…

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Reminder that I made an :effort: post on how best to exploit LOTRO's revenue model:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737582&userid=97867&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post514975386

Basically it's designed around spending some money up front, then never spending a cent ever again.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, their F2P model sucks in a lot of ways, but then again nearly all of them do. I don't think grinding deeds for quest packs and expansions is even viable, in my experience the amount of LotRO-bucks you get from passively doing deeds by way of questing could be useful for QoL unlocks like the premium wallet but not much else.

If you see yourself playing beyond the F2P zones, I guess my advice would be to get the Eriador bundle whenever it's discounted (it was 75% off on Steam a while ago, I think), That gets you all the base game zones and should be enough to level however many alts you want. For the expansions, you can still get the Quad Pack (Mines of Moria + Siege of Mirkwood + Rise of Isengard + Riders of Rohan) for $17 from here. This'll get you to at least level 85, probably more like 90 if you're a completionist like me.

Past that you're going to have to start to pay full price for stuff, which sucks a whole goddamn lot. I guess there's always the chance they'll do another old content giveaway at some point? :smith:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

For the expansions, you can still get the Quad Pack (Mines of Moria + Siege of Mirkwood + Rise of Isengard + Riders of Rohan) for $17 from here.

Cheers for the link, I jumped on this. I'm level 29 atm, and it looks like the Evendim quest pack I bought with LOTRO coins I had lying around will get me to MoM, I guess.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Private servers would be nice.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Zam Wesell posted:

Cheers for the link, I jumped on this. I'm level 29 atm, and it looks like the Evendim quest pack I bought with LOTRO coins I had lying around will get me to MoM, I guess.

Hey post your name if you're interested in grouping up around Moria in the 40s. I'm taking it slowly from 42-45 and this is all new content for me. Got a Beorning kicking around but thinking about rolling a loremaster to use up some of the tradeskill scrolls that keep dropping.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I apologize if I missed this before.

The text in the game seems to be a common complaint. I have seen how to make much of it larger, but there are still several popup boxes, like item descriptions, that are teeny tiny on my new 4k monitor. With my old man eyes, I can't read it easily without wearing glasses, while the rest of it is fine. I have seen answers ranging from 'it can be made bigger' to 'this is the way it is'.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Elwood P Dowd posted:

I apologize if I missed this before.

The text in the game seems to be a common complaint. I have seen how to make much of it larger, but there are still several popup boxes, like item descriptions, that are teeny tiny on my new 4k monitor. With my old man eyes, I can't read it easily without wearing glasses, while the rest of it is fine. I have seen answers ranging from 'it can be made bigger' to 'this is the way it is'.

You can increase the size of quest text by holding ctrl and using your scroll wheel on it (but not the text in the quest log), and the chat size (escape -> settings -> chat), but pretty much every other text in the game is locked. From what I've read, there's no fix for this because it's a limitation of the engine. Apparently the game is under new ownership and they're pushing to make it more 4k compatible, but it's probably going to take awhile for them to make any progress.

I spend a lot of time hunching forward when looking at specific menus.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

One thing that actively pisses me off in this game is the selling of items. How has it been this many years and you still can't just right click from your inventory to sell stuff??

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zam Wesell posted:

One thing that actively pisses me off in this game is the selling of items. How has it been this many years and you still can't just right click from your inventory to sell stuff??

It takes some getting used to, but I find I actually prefer having the selling on a separate tab. It lets you interact with stuff in your inventory window while still having the merchant open without accidentally selling stuff.

I’ve gotten so used to it that I was playing some SW:TOR the other day and managed to sell my outfit armor set instead of equipping it. :smithicide:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New legendary system in closed testing

https://lotroplayers.com/2021/07/15/legendary-item-v3-leak/

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

LI's and their Quest Pack system are terrible. A change would be nice. There was vague talk about changing the Quest Packs on a recent interview.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think grouping the quest packs by level rather than zone is a better way to organize them. And maybe allow for the TP to be earned in all zones with deeds so people are playing more and presumably needing more items from the store.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Good on them for explicitly saying they want to completely eliminate weapon swapping. The hardcore raiders on the official forums will absolutely lose their poo poo about it, I'm sure.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So I got the slight urge to play this again after, uh, 11 years since last login. My primary character was on Silverlode and the transfer thing on the launcher isnt giving me Landroval as an option (e: in fact, it's only giving me the two test servers). Is this the game telling me to gently caress off?

e2: further googling reveals this has apparently been broken for over a year now. welp.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 18, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Hey everyone, I'm sorry if you get this question a lot (I went back like ten pages and didn't find it) but is there any news on this supposed systems/graphics update coming in 2022 or has that been canned? I see no news about it on the main website or Twitter, and the latest news articles I can find are from the end of 2020, so what's the scoop if any?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

There hasn't been any confirmed details about that in terms of either scope or timeframe. It is just something "they want to do" and are hoping to have done probably to ride on that Amazon LOTR hype (if that series ever comes out).

The only graphics update that has come so far is a system that fixes normal maps which basically hardly worked before and tweaks some of the lighting. It's definitely an improvement, but it only works in areas that have specific light sources (i.e., indoors and in Moria).

edit: minutes after I posted this, Amazon dropped the release date for their LOTR series which is sept 2, 2022. You've got a year, Standing Stone Games. Get crackin'

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 2, 2021

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
2022 has become their standard answer for when they will fix every problem, which is predictable because it's a small team with a (hopefully major) expansion pack coming out in 1-4 months. Gundabad could be very fun, I'm mostly hoping for less missions or hugely better missions, and a lot of good quest and instance content that...isn't a mission. The price points are bad and they surely sold more copies at 40/60/$80 than they do at 40/80/130, but that doesn't mean they'll learn.

The store will also be improved and made more sane, I'm guessing and hoping it will include some early quest packs being combined, the prices reduced or just make them free. If you're going to keep the prices up on 6 year old expansion packs for most of the year, you should probably do everything you can to make sure new and returning players don't hit any walls before they have a reason to buy them.

Legendary Items are actually being worked on for the first time of all the promised years, the goal being to make the system more simple and less grindy. I would bet that would be a main project once they're done patching and polishing the brawler class they're currently rushing to be ready for Gundabad.

Also it's the Farmer's Faire event right now, one of the better festivals. If you don't want to get bogged down by meta-deeds and forced to do repeat quests 3 hours a night, just take the free map from the log in quest and alternate doing Shire games on your alts. The egg hunt and the mushroom hunt are both very easy and a lot of tokens if you do them during low population hours. Use delete/use spam to locate the objects and auto-run/use them. One hour cooldown on both.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Hey guys I'm reinstalling just to check stuff out, it's been a long time. I remember having alot of Turbine Points that I was holding onto, did they get converted into the new Lotro Points?